how much power for 2 GTX 280's
  1 / 2    
im sorry if you guys get 100000 posts about this question.
but i was just wondering

would 1000 watt be enough
or do i have to shell out some more cash for a 1200watt
ooooor should i take my chances and see if i can run it with a 700watt and hope my gtx280's wont explode lmfao

wanted to give you an idea on my current power consumption

-780i motherboard
-6gig ddr2
-intel quadcore q6600 CPU (stock clock)
-ultra chiltech CPU fan cooler (thermo-electric cooling system)
-7 case all 120mm
-evga GTX 280 (602 clockspeed)
-700watt PSU

also was wondering if someone could tell me were they gather their power consumption info.
meaning do the computer parts list it in there manuals, or do you check online at there website, or just ask in forums?

or is there a program i could download that shows me how much power i use.
something like a temperature display

sorry for askin a noob question
but was kinda lazy to search the forums
:smile:
im sorry if you guys get 100000 posts about this question.

but i was just wondering

would 1000 watt be enough

or do i have to shell out some more cash for a 1200watt

ooooor should i take my chances and see if i can run it with a 700watt and hope my gtx280's wont explode lmfao

wanted to give you an idea on my current power consumption

-780i motherboard

-6gig ddr2

-intel quadcore q6600 CPU (stock clock)

-ultra chiltech CPU fan cooler (thermo-electric cooling system)

-7 case all 120mm

-evga GTX 280 (602 clockspeed)

-700watt PSU

also was wondering if someone could tell me were they gather their power consumption info.

meaning do the computer parts list it in there manuals, or do you check online at there website, or just ask in forums?

or is there a program i could download that shows me how much power i use.

something like a temperature display

sorry for askin a noob question

but was kinda lazy to search the forums

:smile:

Posted 10/21/2009 03:01 PM   
Heres is [url="http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp"]http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp[/url] calculator. But im sure theres a member on here that can tell you how much the gtx280's use
Heres is http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp calculator. But im sure theres a member on here that can tell you how much the gtx280's use

Posted 10/21/2009 03:09 PM   
hey thanx
for the link cyron
hey thanx

for the link cyron

Posted 10/21/2009 03:11 PM   
well, if you want to know BEFORE you have all the hardware, you have to search around...specs, products webpages, etailers, forums, etc...

if you want to know how much youre pulling ONCE you have all your gear running, you need something like [url="http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7657/"]THIS[/url] or some UPS have that feature
well, if you want to know BEFORE you have all the hardware, you have to search around...specs, products webpages, etailers, forums, etc...

if you want to know how much youre pulling ONCE you have all your gear running, you need something like THIS or some UPS have that feature

Posted 10/21/2009 03:15 PM   
power supply calculators that can be found online are unreliable at best...Try several different ones they will each give you a different answer...Also they only calculate hardware without overclocks added in...But with what you have posted so far I believe a good quality 750 watt PSU would hold you....But I myself like extra headroom for upgrades. And how do we learn how to do this...LOL time and patience mostly..Allot of reading finding answers for people....Once you have done it enough you can give a good guess just glancing at a list of hardware...But allot of research and reading of course will help you greatly....But you are off to a good start with asking questions here...
power supply calculators that can be found online are unreliable at best...Try several different ones they will each give you a different answer...Also they only calculate hardware without overclocks added in...But with what you have posted so far I believe a good quality 750 watt PSU would hold you....But I myself like extra headroom for upgrades. And how do we learn how to do this...LOL time and patience mostly..Allot of reading finding answers for people....Once you have done it enough you can give a good guess just glancing at a list of hardware...But allot of research and reading of course will help you greatly....But you are off to a good start with asking questions here...

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 10/21/2009 03:15 PM   
idle: +/- 130W
load: +/- 300W
idle: +/- 130W

Posted 10/21/2009 03:19 PM   
[quote name='A2K' post='339478' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:19 AM']idle: +/- 130W
load: +/- 300W[/quote]

What are you running to get those kind of numbers ? when in 3-way SLI 285's rig OC'd i can pull 900 watts on load....LOL power hungry beast I have...
[quote name='A2K' post='339478' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:19 AM']idle: +/- 130W

What are you running to get those kind of numbers ? when in 3-way SLI 285's rig OC'd i can pull 900 watts on load....LOL power hungry beast I have...

Posted 10/21/2009 03:49 PM   
An overclocked GTX280 could use as much as 200W flat out, so you need to allow 400W for two (even though you'd have to go some to use it).

A Q6600 at stock clocks could use close to 100W. But you are going to need to overclock it if you add a second GTX280, because it will not be fast enough to make use of two. 3.2GHz should do it. Then it's gonna use more like 130W or even more.

Allow a couple of hundred more for the mobo and RAM and all your drives and fans and stuff and you're looking at 700 -750W.

So, your 700W is maybe going to be enough, but not by much. It's going to be running absolutely flat out and, especially if it's been around a while and the capacitors have aged, it's probably going to go pop before too long.

Also remember that, in addition to supplying enough Wattage overall, it will need to be able to supply each of those cards with enough Amps. If it was all coming down the PCI-E cables, that would be about 15 - 17A per card. Some of it will come from the mobo, through the PCI-E slots but, if the PSU can only manage 10A down each cable, you could be in trouble.

I ran that very same setup off an 800W PSU with no problems for a bit, but upgraded to 1000W as soon as I could.

The other thing is that with only 700W, you would have no room for upgrades, like dropping in a Q9550 and overclocking it to 4GHz, for example.

You do NOT need 1200W for two GTX280s.
An overclocked GTX280 could use as much as 200W flat out, so you need to allow 400W for two (even though you'd have to go some to use it).

A Q6600 at stock clocks could use close to 100W. But you are going to need to overclock it if you add a second GTX280, because it will not be fast enough to make use of two. 3.2GHz should do it. Then it's gonna use more like 130W or even more.

Allow a couple of hundred more for the mobo and RAM and all your drives and fans and stuff and you're looking at 700 -750W.

So, your 700W is maybe going to be enough, but not by much. It's going to be running absolutely flat out and, especially if it's been around a while and the capacitors have aged, it's probably going to go pop before too long.

Also remember that, in addition to supplying enough Wattage overall, it will need to be able to supply each of those cards with enough Amps. If it was all coming down the PCI-E cables, that would be about 15 - 17A per card. Some of it will come from the mobo, through the PCI-E slots but, if the PSU can only manage 10A down each cable, you could be in trouble.

I ran that very same setup off an 800W PSU with no problems for a bit, but upgraded to 1000W as soon as I could.

The other thing is that with only 700W, you would have no room for upgrades, like dropping in a Q9550 and overclocking it to 4GHz, for example.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
Gigabyte GTX780Ti (1202MHz GPU, 7000MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
QPAD QH-90 Headset
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/21/2009 03:51 PM   
jesus tapdancing christ
900watts :blink:
jesus tapdancing christ

900watts :blink:

Posted 10/21/2009 04:00 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='339485' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:51 AM']An overclocked GTX280 could use as much as 200W flat out, so you need to allow 400W for two (even though you'd have to go some to use it).

You do NOT need 1200W for two GTX280s.[/quote]

thanx alot
that was very very helpful
you all were very helpful
:biggrin:
[quote name='Discordia' post='339485' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:51 AM']An overclocked GTX280 could use as much as 200W flat out, so you need to allow 400W for two (even though you'd have to go some to use it).

thanx alot

that was very very helpful

you all were very helpful

:biggrin:

Posted 10/21/2009 04:06 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='339484' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:49 AM']What are you running to get those kind of numbers ? when in 3-way SLI 285's rig OC'd i can pull 900 watts on load....LOL power hungry beast I have...[/quote]

forgot to mention its for one card only...

[img]http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/726/power_consumption.jpg[/img]
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='339484' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:49 AM']What are you running to get those kind of numbers ? when in 3-way SLI 285's rig OC'd i can pull 900 watts on load....LOL power hungry beast I have...

forgot to mention its for one card only...

Posted 10/21/2009 04:11 PM   
[quote name='A2K' post='339495' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:11 AM']forgot to mention its for one card only...

[img]http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/726/power_consumption.jpg[/img][/quote]

LOL i was wondering how in the heck you could swing such a low wattage pull.....I mean I was like WTH... /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' /> /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' />

The best piece of advise I can give the OP is do not cheap out on your PSU....It is the backbone of your rig and powers all of your hardware...Note: Under volting your rig can be just as damaging as over volting...
[quote name='A2K' post='339495' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:11 AM']forgot to mention its for one card only...

LOL i was wondering how in the heck you could swing such a low wattage pull.....I mean I was like WTH... /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' /> /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' />

The best piece of advise I can give the OP is do not cheap out on your PSU....It is the backbone of your rig and powers all of your hardware...Note: Under volting your rig can be just as damaging as over volting...

Posted 10/21/2009 04:17 PM   
i accually was wondering how many watts i would need for liquid cooling system.
dose a liquid cooling system have its own psu, or dose it connect to your psu.

along with 2 gtx280's
i accually was wondering how many watts i would need for liquid cooling system.

dose a liquid cooling system have its own psu, or dose it connect to your psu.

along with 2 gtx280's

Posted 10/22/2009 07:34 AM   
Full scale liquid cooling systems have a pump to circulate the liquid between the cooling block(s) and the heat exchanger(s). This pump will have its own power supply, so it won't use any power from your internal PSU. But that won't make much difference to you power requirements as it's only replacing the fan on your CPU cooler.

But you're not really going to gain anything from liquid cooling. The limiting factor on the Q6600 is not really temperature, but Voltage. It's unlikely you could get it above 3.6GHz without stuffing about 1.6V up it and you could do that on a good air cooler.

And, if you're debating whether to save money by going for 1000W instead of 1200W, you're not going to keep the bill down by using liquid cooling.
Full scale liquid cooling systems have a pump to circulate the liquid between the cooling block(s) and the heat exchanger(s). This pump will have its own power supply, so it won't use any power from your internal PSU. But that won't make much difference to you power requirements as it's only replacing the fan on your CPU cooler.

But you're not really going to gain anything from liquid cooling. The limiting factor on the Q6600 is not really temperature, but Voltage. It's unlikely you could get it above 3.6GHz without stuffing about 1.6V up it and you could do that on a good air cooler.

And, if you're debating whether to save money by going for 1000W instead of 1200W, you're not going to keep the bill down by using liquid cooling.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
QPAD QH-90 Headset
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/22/2009 09:32 AM   
[quote name='A2K' post='339495' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:11 PM']forgot to mention its for one card only...

[img]http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/726/power_consumption.jpg[/img][/quote]

All this tells you is that their test system uses 165W more at load than at idle. It tells you nothing about how much power the GTX280 is using.

The whole system is using 130W at idle, but how much of that is the CPU, how much is the RAM, motherboard, hard drive(s) and how much is the GTX280? And then, when your at full load, the application you are running will be using the CPU, so that will be using more power.

You can't get any idea how much the graphics card uses from this. And, without knowing what the spec of the rest of the system is, it bears no relationship to what the OP's system might use, either.
[quote name='A2K' post='339495' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:11 PM']forgot to mention its for one card only...

All this tells you is that their test system uses 165W more at load than at idle. It tells you nothing about how much power the GTX280 is using.

The whole system is using 130W at idle, but how much of that is the CPU, how much is the RAM, motherboard, hard drive(s) and how much is the GTX280? And then, when your at full load, the application you are running will be using the CPU, so that will be using more power.

You can't get any idea how much the graphics card uses from this. And, without knowing what the spec of the rest of the system is, it bears no relationship to what the OP's system might use, either.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
QPAD QH-90 Headset
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/22/2009 09:45 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top