Best Thermal Paste for my Dual core Cpu
I want to find out what is the best/better recommended thermal compound for my cpu? and also what is the Best application method for my Dual core?

I have an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHZ running @ 3.2GHZ but i think my temps are a bit to high 66-68 average under fully load (1hour of OCCT) and I get a few BSOD every once in a while. I want to replace my thermal compound to see if this helps.

Also my cpu cooler does not blows the air out of my case but since it's on an Am2 socket I only have the option to blow UP towards the PSU or Down to the GPU. So it's up towards the PSU.. I know this could be the main reason why it gets very hot. Althoug I did have a 10 degree drop in temperature over the stock HSF.

My problem is that my computer is just way too hot. I touch the top of the computer and it's very very hot after a few hours on... I'm replacing the case fans this week and cpu HS fan as well to see if that lower my temps.
I want to find out what is the best/better recommended thermal compound for my cpu? and also what is the Best application method for my Dual core?

I have an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHZ running @ 3.2GHZ but i think my temps are a bit to high 66-68 average under fully load (1hour of OCCT) and I get a few BSOD every once in a while. I want to replace my thermal compound to see if this helps.

Also my cpu cooler does not blows the air out of my case but since it's on an Am2 socket I only have the option to blow UP towards the PSU or Down to the GPU. So it's up towards the PSU.. I know this could be the main reason why it gets very hot. Althoug I did have a 10 degree drop in temperature over the stock HSF.

My problem is that my computer is just way too hot. I touch the top of the computer and it's very very hot after a few hours on... I'm replacing the case fans this week and cpu HS fan as well to see if that lower my temps.

Posted 10/21/2009 12:06 AM   
what paste are you using on your CPU now?

the best two i have used are Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-2, they both give around the same temps but i prefer the MX-2 as there is no cure time, no metallic particles and it doesnt dry out as fast as AS5 does
what paste are you using on your CPU now?

the best two i have used are Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-2, they both give around the same temps but i prefer the MX-2 as there is no cure time, no metallic particles and it doesnt dry out as fast as AS5 does

Posted 10/21/2009 01:06 AM   
+ 1 for MX-2
I have ac5 , Mx-2 , Mx-3 , zalman thermal grease ,

any of these are great , but Mx-2 is my preferred choice
+ 1 for MX-2

I have ac5 , Mx-2 , Mx-3 , zalman thermal grease ,

any of these are great , but Mx-2 is my preferred choice

Posted 10/21/2009 01:36 AM   
[quote name='Slayer' post='339331' date='Oct 20 2009, 05:06 PM']what paste are you using on your CPU now?

the best two i have used are Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-2, they both give around the same temps but i prefer the MX-2 as there is no cure time, no metallic particles and it doesnt dry out as fast as AS5 does[/quote]
well i'm using the thermal paste that came with my AM cooler... I'll try the MX2

as far as the other questions, what do you guys think?

the HSF blowing the air towards the PSU. Is it bad for my PSU?

What is the best application method of TP for my dual core?
[quote name='Slayer' post='339331' date='Oct 20 2009, 05:06 PM']what paste are you using on your CPU now?

well i'm using the thermal paste that came with my AM cooler... I'll try the MX2

Posted 10/21/2009 07:54 PM   
[quote name='thepro78' post='339550' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:54 PM']well i'm using the thermal paste that came with my AM cooler... I'll try the MX2

What is the best application method of TP for my dual core?[/quote]
blowing air up through your PSU isnt good but its not going to damage your PSU, cant the Xigmatek's be mounted two different ways? it looks like it from this pic
[img]http://www.frostytech.com/articleimages/200808/XigHDTS1284EE_clip.jpg[/img]

i always use the spreading method to apply paste, just use an old credit card to spread a thin layer (so you can almost see through it) over the entire surface leaving a gap a couple of mm round the edges
[quote name='thepro78' post='339550' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:54 PM']well i'm using the thermal paste that came with my AM cooler... I'll try the MX2

blowing air up through your PSU isnt good but its not going to damage your PSU, cant the Xigmatek's be mounted two different ways? it looks like it from this pic

i always use the spreading method to apply paste, just use an old credit card to spread a thin layer (so you can almost see through it) over the entire surface leaving a gap a couple of mm round the edges

Posted 10/21/2009 09:24 PM   
OCZ or GELID GC-Exteme
OCZ or GELID GC-Exteme

Posted 10/21/2009 09:50 PM   
[quote name='Slayer' post='339570' date='Oct 21 2009, 01:24 PM']blowing air up through your PSU isnt good but its not going to damage your PSU, cant the Xigmatek's be mounted two different ways? it looks like it from this pic
[img]http://www.frostytech.com/articleimages/200808/XigHDTS1284EE_clip.jpg[/img]

i always use the spreading method to apply paste, just use an old credit card to spread a thin layer (so you can almost see through it) over the entire surface leaving a gap a couple of mm round the edges[/quote]
I does not... or at least I did not see it... I will remove it to replace some fans and I will double check. I will go ahead and order the mx2 and the fans.

I'll try the credit card method.

Thanks guys.
[quote name='Slayer' post='339570' date='Oct 21 2009, 01:24 PM']blowing air up through your PSU isnt good but its not going to damage your PSU, cant the Xigmatek's be mounted two different ways? it looks like it from this pic

I does not... or at least I did not see it... I will remove it to replace some fans and I will double check. I will go ahead and order the mx2 and the fans.

Thanks guys.

Posted 10/22/2009 07:39 PM   
[quote name='thepro78' post='339791' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:39 AM']I does not... or at least I did not see it... I will remove it to replace some fans and I will double check. I will go ahead and order the mx2 and the fans.

Thanks guys.[/quote]
i dont think it can, if you look at where the lines lead to, the ones that cross lead directly into the heat pipes which could be a problem however im not familiar with the mounting bracket used so i could be wrong :biggrin:
[quote name='thepro78' post='339791' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:39 AM']I does not... or at least I did not see it... I will remove it to replace some fans and I will double check. I will go ahead and order the mx2 and the fans.

Thanks guys.

i dont think it can, if you look at where the lines lead to, the ones that cross lead directly into the heat pipes which could be a problem however im not familiar with the mounting bracket used so i could be wrong :biggrin:

Posted 10/22/2009 07:42 PM   
[quote name='slaywhitey1326' post='339793' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:42 AM']i dont think it can, if you look at where the lines lead to, the ones that cross lead directly into the heat pipes which could be a problem however im not familiar with the mounting bracket used so i could be wrong :biggrin:[/quote]
that was going to be my next post. check out the pics closely on newegg and you'll se the big am2 mounting bracket and I don;t think it can fit thhrough the pipes.
[quote name='slaywhitey1326' post='339793' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:42 AM']i dont think it can, if you look at where the lines lead to, the ones that cross lead directly into the heat pipes which could be a problem however im not familiar with the mounting bracket used so i could be wrong :biggrin:

that was going to be my next post. check out the pics closely on newegg and you'll se the big am2 mounting bracket and I don;t think it can fit thhrough the pipes.

Posted 10/22/2009 07:49 PM   
ah, on my old Zalman 9500 it had two notches cut in to the mounting bracket so it could fit through the heat pipes so i thought Xigmatek might have done something similar
ah, on my old Zalman 9500 it had two notches cut in to the mounting bracket so it could fit through the heat pipes so i thought Xigmatek might have done something similar

Posted 10/22/2009 10:18 PM   
make a mod bracket.
you will love it.
i just did and my cpu temps are a lot lower
make a mod bracket.

you will love it.

i just did and my cpu temps are a lot lower

Wow, when i went to edit my signature, it messed up the coding and ruined it.

Thanks a million...

Posted 01/06/2010 11:58 PM   
[quote name='Slayer' post='942117' date='Oct 21 2009, 04:24 PM']blowing air up through your PSU isnt good but its not going to damage your PSU, cant the Xigmatek's be mounted two different ways? it looks like it from this pic

i always use the spreading method to apply paste, just use an old credit card to spread a thin layer (so you can almost see through it) over the entire surface leaving a gap a couple of mm round the edges[/quote]
The way I put on the Paste is to take a Hair Dryer to heat up the CPU/Heatsink till it is good and warm ( It makes the AS5 paste go on so much more smoothly. I also use a latax glove and tighting the glove very tight on my index finger to apply the paste. The most Important part of the job is the amount of paste. I use a dab of AS5 the size of a [color="#FFFF00"]uncle ben grain of rice[/color] in the middle of the CPU and use a circler montion by moveing the AS5 or MX2 or what ever till it cover the CPU in a [color="#FFFF00"]"Thin" layer[/color], and do the same with the heatsink but use about 1/3 of the paste on the heatsink....CHEERS

BTW: AS5 is not doing the job till it is dryed hard on the cpu, that is why you shouldn't move the Case with big Heatsink be cause it could rock the heatsink and crack the layer SC5 that is in a cured state.....AS5 takes appox 2 months after applying to cure to it's max's from my experience..Zalmans paste stays flexable. If you move your case alot I suggest you use the MX2 or any type thermal grease that dosen't cure.
[quote name='Slayer' post='942117' date='Oct 21 2009, 04:24 PM']blowing air up through your PSU isnt good but its not going to damage your PSU, cant the Xigmatek's be mounted two different ways? it looks like it from this pic

The way I put on the Paste is to take a Hair Dryer to heat up the CPU/Heatsink till it is good and warm ( It makes the AS5 paste go on so much more smoothly. I also use a latax glove and tighting the glove very tight on my index finger to apply the paste. The most Important part of the job is the amount of paste. I use a dab of AS5 the size of a uncle ben grain of rice in the middle of the CPU and use a circler montion by moveing the AS5 or MX2 or what ever till it cover the CPU in a "Thin" layer, and do the same with the heatsink but use about 1/3 of the paste on the heatsink....CHEERS

BTW: AS5 is not doing the job till it is dryed hard on the cpu, that is why you shouldn't move the Case with big Heatsink be cause it could rock the heatsink and crack the layer SC5 that is in a cured state.....AS5 takes appox 2 months after applying to cure to it's max's from my experience..Zalmans paste stays flexable. If you move your case alot I suggest you use the MX2 or any type thermal grease that dosen't cure.

Posted 01/07/2010 01:06 AM   
Zalman thermal grease: easy to apply, easy to remove and it works.
Zalman thermal grease: easy to apply, easy to remove and it works.

Asus Maximus IV - I7 2600K- Toughpower 1200W - 8GB Kingston 1600 - Noctua NCH + fans - SB XFi usb - SSD Intel 120 GB- TriSLI Zotac GTX580 - 3D vision Acer GD245HQ - W7 Ult. 64 bit

Posted 01/08/2010 07:19 AM   
[quote name='Olonese' post='977489' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:19 AM']Zalman thermal grease: easy to apply, easy to remove and it works.[/quote]
All of them work some just better than others ;) I have so many bottles of ZaLman thermal grease that comes with there heatsinks, now the newer heatsinks like the 9900A is in a paste type, like the tube of AS5. Once you push down don't let go pull back so it stops running out lol............CHEERS
[quote name='Olonese' post='977489' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:19 AM']Zalman thermal grease: easy to apply, easy to remove and it works.

All of them work some just better than others ;) I have so many bottles of ZaLman thermal grease that comes with there heatsinks, now the newer heatsinks like the 9900A is in a paste type, like the tube of AS5. Once you push down don't let go pull back so it stops running out lol............CHEERS

Posted 01/09/2010 02:01 AM   
[url="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141"]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141[/url] <- Done.

Making stupid look good.

Rig:

Thermaltake Armor

Q9650 @ 4.05, 1800FSB

Striker II Extreme

4GB Patriot 2000 @ 8-8-8-26

x2 150GB WD VRaptor Drives in RAID 0

x2 Segate 320GB RAID 0 Secondary Data Backup

-1TB and 750GB Western Digital Mybooks for backup

x3 EVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI @ 1.45V ~900 core, 2300 shader, 1250 mem

Watercooling:

FuZion 2.0

Enzotech NB Block

x3 Swiftech Obsidians

MCP 655 With EK Top Rev 2

120 and 240 Black Ice Pro GT Stealth Rads

120 DangerDen XFlow rad

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=145895: Watercooling Guide for Beginners

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=138732: Watercooling Pics Posted Here

Posted 01/10/2010 02:15 AM   
Scroll To Top