Ryme Review #12 Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein is back!!!! We asked for it and we got it. Everyone loves when one of those epic games of 10+ years ago comes back with a vengeance. The question here is did they do it right or did they just pump out another run of the mill cookie cutter game to make money? Well the answer is here and the time is right for another Ryme Review SLI-Zone exclusive!

This episode of Wolfenstien is centered around B.J. Blazkowicz. BJ aside from being two of my favorite letters placed together is also an agent working for the US government who is sent to a fictional German town called Isenstadt. his job in Isenstadt is to research and stop the Nazi's from making advancements in weaponry using the power of the black sun dimension. BJ quickly finds a pendent called the Thule Medallion that he can add crystals to which give him super human powers. The powers range from slowing down time to creating a shield that will stop bullets to giving his weapons extra power. All of these powers and all of the weapons can be upgraded as the game progresses at one of the many black market hide outs. Each level of the game has hidden pieces of gold which can be collected and used to purchase the upgrades. This fact is not explained well in the beginning of the game, but once you catch on you start to search every nook and cranny of every room so you can upgrade your arsenal. There are also pieces of intel hidden through the game that give you a glimpse into the Nazi's evil plan or what to expect around the next corner. Last but not least there are hidden books called Tomes which are required to upgrade your powers while using the medallion. When you activate the medallion you are taken into a dimension called the Vail. inside the Vail everything turns an ugly shade of blue, but you are able to access your powers and also find secret passageways you normally would not be able to see. All of this information regarding the Vail and power crystals was discovered long ago by an ancient civilization who failed to harness the power of the back sun dimension. The Nazi's are determined to pickup where they left off and gain the power for themselves to assist in taking over the world. ( insert evil laugh) There are two main groups that are on your side that you must assist to complete your mission. The first group is called the Kreisau Circle. This is a group of rebel fighters that are trying to stop the Nazi's. The second is called the Golden Dawn. The Golden Dawn is a group of scholars who are also trying to stop the Nazi's but are researching the powers of the Medallion as well.

Performance -

Let me just start off by saying that this game ran FLAWLESSLY! I did not have one single crash, error message slow down or F-up at all. I was able to run the game in SLI with all in game settings maxed and also forcing 16xQAA with supersampling through the NCP and never dropped below 60FPS. All four cores of my Quad were running strong between 50 and 70% and my ram usage stuck around 60%. Honestly I wanted to make it very clear that this is the first game in what seems like ages to run this well and look this good. My video cards ran nice and cool while slicing through this game with the 65nm's running in the mid 70's with the 55nm running in the low 60's.

Level Design -

The game is designed to give you an open world feel which flows very well. Raven and ID really did an exceptional job in creating the environments. Yes I realize that this game is Dx9 but all of the Dx9 features are tied together so well and the attention to detail (aside from a floating tire here and there) so great that at times I found myself thinking it was Dx10. This is probably going to be one of the last Dx9 games we see (or so I hope) and I'm happy that it's going out with a bang. The open world aspect gives way to missions that need to be completed in areas that aren't accessible on the main map. When it comes time to do these missions you are normally directed to meet someone at a truck and then snuck into the area to complete the mission. Once back in the main map you are given the option to either travel through the sewers or roof tops to avoid enemies or to just run the streets where you will encounter heavy Nazi resistance, but only adds to the immersion. The street fights are not repetitive like they were in Far Cry. Only once or twice did I encounter enemies guarding the same location, but the fight was completely different each time. The search for gold and intel was very straight forward and most were very easy to find, but I had problems finding the Tomes which were normally hidden behind a panel of some breakable material. To be honest I only found a hand full of them, but still had no problem beating the game. The only downside is check point saving. As I have said many times before in my reviews I find this highly annoying as I have to get up from the computer 100x during any play session to help someone around the house or run out for a smoke break and not being able to hit F5 to save drives me crazy.

Enemies -

Throughout the course of the game you will encounter new and harder to beat enemies. Each new set of enemies is granted a new piece of the Vail power. One is able to create shields around themselves and others. Some are able to turn invisible and will sneak up on you to attack while others are just Nazi grunt soldiers. The boss battles are epic. You will fight everything from a super mutant Nazi commander to a bug that spews blood from it's wounds when hit by anti aircraft weapon fire. The AI is decent, and the opportunity to chose between run and gun or snipe is always there. The character models are well detailed and the first time you see a grunt soldier grab his neck and blood start spurting out after a well placed sniper round you will understand. Body parts flying by your face as explosions go off and blood splatter along hallway walls are just a few of the many wicked observations I made while playing. Once piece of friendly advice while playing the game, always have your melee attack ready to go. I found many times that I would turn a corner and be shocked staring face to face with an enemy and need to smack them with the butt of my rifle or stab them with the bayonet before I could even realize what was happening.

Weapons -

There are a verity of both modern (for the time) weapons and also some Vail weapons that you have access to. Ammo is aplenty for the modern weapons, but the Vail weapons need to be used wisely as recharges are few and far between. As I mentioned above all weapons are upgradable at any of the black market hideouts. You can get anything from lager bore for higher caliber rounds to recoil suppressors to energy reduction upgrades to the Vail weapons. My two favorite weapons were the silenced sniper rifle and the electric shock gun (for lack of remembering the name). I was able to find a spot and hunker down on a roof top and just pick off enemies as they left cover or run into a room with my shield up and just start shocking the hell out of anyone in sight. In some sick way it was fun to watch them tense up and start to shake as they were electrocuted.

Sound -

From the music to the sound of heavy gunfire in the background as you sneak around levels everything is in perfect proportion. I found an issue though with talking to NPC's. After you speak to them if you click to speak again there voice will change completely to another voice to say "I can't speak right now". I found this more then once and it did zap me out of the game for a second to laugh and wonder.. Why didn't they just pay that guy to say one more sound clip to make it work right? Your guess is as good as mine.

Final Thought -

I loved this game. It ran flawlessly, the game play was fast and entertaining, the cut-scenes were well placed and seamless and I wish there was an expansion or sequel out already so I could go back and play some more. Even with aged graphics the other elements of the game worked so well together that I was able to look past and enjoy the title.

Ps. I hope you watched the cut-scene after the credits stopped rolling. Good news just FYI.

8.5 - losses for sound and FFS check point saving.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2516/3885215841_38a84c5286_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3886012880_5f5fc44482_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2496/3886012914_6c6235f9a7_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3465/3885215891_13beca8688_b.jpg[/img]

And my personal fav
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2585/3886012952_7bf56ecee4_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2470/3925090552_ae02166b57_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/3924308131_3e680a3944_b.jpg[/img]
More Screenies can be found here - [url="http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=35925&st=60"]http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showto...35925&st=60[/url]
Wolfenstein is back!!!! We asked for it and we got it. Everyone loves when one of those epic games of 10+ years ago comes back with a vengeance. The question here is did they do it right or did they just pump out another run of the mill cookie cutter game to make money? Well the answer is here and the time is right for another Ryme Review SLI-Zone exclusive!

This episode of Wolfenstien is centered around B.J. Blazkowicz. BJ aside from being two of my favorite letters placed together is also an agent working for the US government who is sent to a fictional German town called Isenstadt. his job in Isenstadt is to research and stop the Nazi's from making advancements in weaponry using the power of the black sun dimension. BJ quickly finds a pendent called the Thule Medallion that he can add crystals to which give him super human powers. The powers range from slowing down time to creating a shield that will stop bullets to giving his weapons extra power. All of these powers and all of the weapons can be upgraded as the game progresses at one of the many black market hide outs. Each level of the game has hidden pieces of gold which can be collected and used to purchase the upgrades. This fact is not explained well in the beginning of the game, but once you catch on you start to search every nook and cranny of every room so you can upgrade your arsenal. There are also pieces of intel hidden through the game that give you a glimpse into the Nazi's evil plan or what to expect around the next corner. Last but not least there are hidden books called Tomes which are required to upgrade your powers while using the medallion. When you activate the medallion you are taken into a dimension called the Vail. inside the Vail everything turns an ugly shade of blue, but you are able to access your powers and also find secret passageways you normally would not be able to see. All of this information regarding the Vail and power crystals was discovered long ago by an ancient civilization who failed to harness the power of the back sun dimension. The Nazi's are determined to pickup where they left off and gain the power for themselves to assist in taking over the world. ( insert evil laugh) There are two main groups that are on your side that you must assist to complete your mission. The first group is called the Kreisau Circle. This is a group of rebel fighters that are trying to stop the Nazi's. The second is called the Golden Dawn. The Golden Dawn is a group of scholars who are also trying to stop the Nazi's but are researching the powers of the Medallion as well.

Performance -

Let me just start off by saying that this game ran FLAWLESSLY! I did not have one single crash, error message slow down or F-up at all. I was able to run the game in SLI with all in game settings maxed and also forcing 16xQAA with supersampling through the NCP and never dropped below 60FPS. All four cores of my Quad were running strong between 50 and 70% and my ram usage stuck around 60%. Honestly I wanted to make it very clear that this is the first game in what seems like ages to run this well and look this good. My video cards ran nice and cool while slicing through this game with the 65nm's running in the mid 70's with the 55nm running in the low 60's.

Level Design -

The game is designed to give you an open world feel which flows very well. Raven and ID really did an exceptional job in creating the environments. Yes I realize that this game is Dx9 but all of the Dx9 features are tied together so well and the attention to detail (aside from a floating tire here and there) so great that at times I found myself thinking it was Dx10. This is probably going to be one of the last Dx9 games we see (or so I hope) and I'm happy that it's going out with a bang. The open world aspect gives way to missions that need to be completed in areas that aren't accessible on the main map. When it comes time to do these missions you are normally directed to meet someone at a truck and then snuck into the area to complete the mission. Once back in the main map you are given the option to either travel through the sewers or roof tops to avoid enemies or to just run the streets where you will encounter heavy Nazi resistance, but only adds to the immersion. The street fights are not repetitive like they were in Far Cry. Only once or twice did I encounter enemies guarding the same location, but the fight was completely different each time. The search for gold and intel was very straight forward and most were very easy to find, but I had problems finding the Tomes which were normally hidden behind a panel of some breakable material. To be honest I only found a hand full of them, but still had no problem beating the game. The only downside is check point saving. As I have said many times before in my reviews I find this highly annoying as I have to get up from the computer 100x during any play session to help someone around the house or run out for a smoke break and not being able to hit F5 to save drives me crazy.

Enemies -

Throughout the course of the game you will encounter new and harder to beat enemies. Each new set of enemies is granted a new piece of the Vail power. One is able to create shields around themselves and others. Some are able to turn invisible and will sneak up on you to attack while others are just Nazi grunt soldiers. The boss battles are epic. You will fight everything from a super mutant Nazi commander to a bug that spews blood from it's wounds when hit by anti aircraft weapon fire. The AI is decent, and the opportunity to chose between run and gun or snipe is always there. The character models are well detailed and the first time you see a grunt soldier grab his neck and blood start spurting out after a well placed sniper round you will understand. Body parts flying by your face as explosions go off and blood splatter along hallway walls are just a few of the many wicked observations I made while playing. Once piece of friendly advice while playing the game, always have your melee attack ready to go. I found many times that I would turn a corner and be shocked staring face to face with an enemy and need to smack them with the butt of my rifle or stab them with the bayonet before I could even realize what was happening.

Weapons -

There are a verity of both modern (for the time) weapons and also some Vail weapons that you have access to. Ammo is aplenty for the modern weapons, but the Vail weapons need to be used wisely as recharges are few and far between. As I mentioned above all weapons are upgradable at any of the black market hideouts. You can get anything from lager bore for higher caliber rounds to recoil suppressors to energy reduction upgrades to the Vail weapons. My two favorite weapons were the silenced sniper rifle and the electric shock gun (for lack of remembering the name). I was able to find a spot and hunker down on a roof top and just pick off enemies as they left cover or run into a room with my shield up and just start shocking the hell out of anyone in sight. In some sick way it was fun to watch them tense up and start to shake as they were electrocuted.

Sound -

From the music to the sound of heavy gunfire in the background as you sneak around levels everything is in perfect proportion. I found an issue though with talking to NPC's. After you speak to them if you click to speak again there voice will change completely to another voice to say "I can't speak right now". I found this more then once and it did zap me out of the game for a second to laugh and wonder.. Why didn't they just pay that guy to say one more sound clip to make it work right? Your guess is as good as mine.

Final Thought -

I loved this game. It ran flawlessly, the game play was fast and entertaining, the cut-scenes were well placed and seamless and I wish there was an expansion or sequel out already so I could go back and play some more. Even with aged graphics the other elements of the game worked so well together that I was able to look past and enjoy the title.

Ps. I hope you watched the cut-scene after the credits stopped rolling. Good news just FYI.

8.5 - losses for sound and FFS check point saving.

And my personal fav

More Screenies can be found here - http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showto...35925&st=60

Posted 09/22/2009 04:09 AM   
Good Review, although i must point out the reason it ran so well is because your using ingame settings maxed out, The Game does NOT support AA, so forcing it through the control panel doesnt do anything except give you the good feeling of being able to run it with 16XAA, Try Restoring defaults and taking some screenshots, then enable 16XAA and see if theres any difference.

Im using the 190.62 drivers(Latest ones) and so far i cant get AA working.
Good Review, although i must point out the reason it ran so well is because your using ingame settings maxed out, The Game does NOT support AA, so forcing it through the control panel doesnt do anything except give you the good feeling of being able to run it with 16XAA, Try Restoring defaults and taking some screenshots, then enable 16XAA and see if theres any difference.

Im using the 190.62 drivers(Latest ones) and so far i cant get AA working.

Core i7 920@ 4.20ghz
Asus P6T Motherboard
6GB Corsair DDR3 Memory
Palit Gtx 295
500GB WD And 500GB Hitachi Hard Drive
500GB Iomega External Drive
Antec 1200 Case
1000W CoolerMaster Power Supply
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

Posted 09/22/2009 08:40 AM   
Yeah he is right it does not support any kind of AA.

Except, supersampling using nHancer which is how I got mine to look much better, and utilize SLI much more efficiently, and still get constantly over 60fps
Yeah he is right it does not support any kind of AA.

Except, supersampling using nHancer which is how I got mine to look much better, and utilize SLI much more efficiently, and still get constantly over 60fps

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 09/22/2009 10:06 AM   
I was thinking that! Looking back at my screen shots last night I did notice a lot of jaggies in straight lines. I was running with super sampling enabled, but I wonder why there is an AA option in the NCP game profile if it's not supported?
I was thinking that! Looking back at my screen shots last night I did notice a lot of jaggies in straight lines. I was running with super sampling enabled, but I wonder why there is an AA option in the NCP game profile if it's not supported?

Posted 09/22/2009 06:07 PM   
Supersampling from the NVCPL only affects the transperancy of the AA samples applied to regular AA methods. (ie multisampling)

Supersampling properly, is a completely different affair, and can only be achieved using nHancer, and is only suppourted in D3D applications.

Real supersampling is where you increase the vertical and or horizontal resolutions of textures by a factor of 1, 2, 3 or 4

So, in 2x2 Supersampling for example, your effectively doubling your standard resolution. (both vertical and horizontal) VERY usefull for SLI because as we know it starts to really fly at high resolutions where fill rates are becoming the primary bottleneck.

Pretty much its only usefull for SLI actually, because a single card normally falls over itself and dies when using Supersampling. The only limitation is that it does not eliminate ALL jaggies, so you can if you wish, and if your setup can take it, utilize supersampling with normal AA methods, ie 2x2 SS with 4xAA standard.

That looks INTENSE! I have done it with Bioshock, and generally with games using the crappy UE3 engine, or any other engine that does not suppourt the use of traditional AA to get the best performance/image quality

*edit* The same thing goes with Call Of Juarez 2, it does not support traditional AA so you need to force 4x4 Supersampling to boost the image quality and therefore it becomes neccesary to use SLI.
Supersampling from the NVCPL only affects the transperancy of the AA samples applied to regular AA methods. (ie multisampling)

Supersampling properly, is a completely different affair, and can only be achieved using nHancer, and is only suppourted in D3D applications.

Real supersampling is where you increase the vertical and or horizontal resolutions of textures by a factor of 1, 2, 3 or 4

So, in 2x2 Supersampling for example, your effectively doubling your standard resolution. (both vertical and horizontal) VERY usefull for SLI because as we know it starts to really fly at high resolutions where fill rates are becoming the primary bottleneck.

Pretty much its only usefull for SLI actually, because a single card normally falls over itself and dies when using Supersampling. The only limitation is that it does not eliminate ALL jaggies, so you can if you wish, and if your setup can take it, utilize supersampling with normal AA methods, ie 2x2 SS with 4xAA standard.

That looks INTENSE! I have done it with Bioshock, and generally with games using the crappy UE3 engine, or any other engine that does not suppourt the use of traditional AA to get the best performance/image quality

*edit* The same thing goes with Call Of Juarez 2, it does not support traditional AA so you need to force 4x4 Supersampling to boost the image quality and therefore it becomes neccesary to use SLI.

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 09/22/2009 11:17 PM   
Good review. 8.5 is about the average across the web.

Yeah, I'm with you Saijan Prince- the UE3 engine is really starting to look like sh*t as if it didn't when it launched. I play UT3 now and I am appalled at the graphics.
Good review. 8.5 is about the average across the web.

Yeah, I'm with you Saijan Prince- the UE3 engine is really starting to look like sh*t as if it didn't when it launched. I play UT3 now and I am appalled at the graphics.

Case: Antec 1200

PSU: Corsair AX850 850W

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @4GHz 1.352v cooled w. Xigmatek Thor's Hammer

RAM: 2x4GB G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @1910MHz 9-10-9-28 2T 1.5v 2:10 FSB:DRAM

MB: ASUS Maximus III Formula Intel P55

HD: WD Velociraptor 160GB (Boot), WD Caviar Black 750GB (all my junk)

OD: ASUS Blu-Ray

GPU: 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Peripherals: Logitech G510 keyboard, Logitech G500 laser mouse, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Gateway FPD2485W 24'' monitor

Posted 09/23/2009 10:05 PM   
True, the UE3 engine is dated but you have to keep in mind how long ago it came out. After you figure that out then process the fact that we are still or were still using it for games. Honestly I didn't think the game looked that bad. Yes for our type of rigs the game was way under par, but you have to put in perspective just how many people have rigs our size? For the broad user base the game will play smoothly and people will be happy. We just get to wait for the next Crysis to give our hardware a challenge. I definitely could see myself replaying this game.
True, the UE3 engine is dated but you have to keep in mind how long ago it came out. After you figure that out then process the fact that we are still or were still using it for games. Honestly I didn't think the game looked that bad. Yes for our type of rigs the game was way under par, but you have to put in perspective just how many people have rigs our size? For the broad user base the game will play smoothly and people will be happy. We just get to wait for the next Crysis to give our hardware a challenge. I definitely could see myself replaying this game.

Posted 09/29/2009 10:01 PM   
When did they strip the Doom3 engine of AA support?

Edit: Just played some Wolfenstein with my card forced to 4x AA and had minimal aliasing at 1920x1200. I REALLY had to squint to see any jaggies, but there were a few (nothing to write home about though). While I saw no options for AA settings in the game CP, I did load up both Quake 4 and Quake Wars to verify that the engine did in fact support AA. So my thought are either they removed AA support from the game (highly unlikely), or they just don't have an option to set AA as this game is more of a console port than a real PC title.
When did they strip the Doom3 engine of AA support?

Edit: Just played some Wolfenstein with my card forced to 4x AA and had minimal aliasing at 1920x1200. I REALLY had to squint to see any jaggies, but there were a few (nothing to write home about though). While I saw no options for AA settings in the game CP, I did load up both Quake 4 and Quake Wars to verify that the engine did in fact support AA. So my thought are either they removed AA support from the game (highly unlikely), or they just don't have an option to set AA as this game is more of a console port than a real PC title.

Posted 05/06/2010 02:14 PM   
[quote name='Hexen525' post='1051347' date='May 6 2010, 10:14 AM']When did they strip the Doom3 engine of AA support?

Edit: Just played some Wolfenstein with my card forced to 4x AA and had minimal aliasing at 1920x1200. I REALLY had to squint to see any jaggies, but there were a few (nothing to write home about though). While I saw no options for AA settings in the game CP, I did load up both Quake 4 and Quake Wars to verify that the engine did in fact support AA. So my thought are either they removed AA support from the game (highly unlikely), or they just don't have an option to set AA as this game is more of a console port than a real PC title.[/quote]

[i]To my knowledge, idTech 5 Engine ("RAGE") will have the same engineering. It has to do with the methods chosen for geometry calculation on environment and shader models. Although very advanced it suffers several drawbacks in close-up detail compared to the current tessellation technologies offered. I would be astonished at the least if even the AAA title developers were to capitalize, and implement tessellation more abroad and appropriately and simply didn't use it with the same disregard as Unreal Engine 3 did with high dynamic range/post process.[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Hexen525' post='1051347' date='May 6 2010, 10:14 AM']When did they strip the Doom3 engine of AA support?

To my knowledge, idTech 5 Engine ("RAGE") will have the same engineering. It has to do with the methods chosen for geometry calculation on environment and shader models. Although very advanced it suffers several drawbacks in close-up detail compared to the current tessellation technologies offered. I would be astonished at the least if even the AAA title developers were to capitalize, and implement tessellation more abroad and appropriately and simply didn't use it with the same disregard as Unreal Engine 3 did with high dynamic range/post process.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 05/06/2010 05:23 PM   
Oh God!! UT3's use of HDR is HORRID!!! Just one big cluster f**k!!

But the Doom3 Engine (idTech4) [b]HAS[/b] AA support, why is everyone saying it doesn't? Wolfenstein uses the same engine Quake 4 used with a few bells and whistles. On my screen it's VERY pretty with a lack of jaggies (not 100%, but what is?).

Or am I missing something here? Keep in mind these titles are OpenGL, not DX. So they suffer from other shortcomings. And there is no promise that the latest OpenGL John Carmack is using with support hardware tesselation. It's kinda all up in the air as OpenGL has had 2-3 major overhauls since Doom3 got released.
Oh God!! UT3's use of HDR is HORRID!!! Just one big cluster f**k!!

But the Doom3 Engine (idTech4) HAS AA support, why is everyone saying it doesn't? Wolfenstein uses the same engine Quake 4 used with a few bells and whistles. On my screen it's VERY pretty with a lack of jaggies (not 100%, but what is?).

Or am I missing something here? Keep in mind these titles are OpenGL, not DX. So they suffer from other shortcomings. And there is no promise that the latest OpenGL John Carmack is using with support hardware tesselation. It's kinda all up in the air as OpenGL has had 2-3 major overhauls since Doom3 got released.

Posted 05/08/2010 04:34 AM   
[quote name='Righthooks' post='1051481' date='May 6 2010, 12:23 PM'][i]To my knowledge, idTech 5 Engine ("RAGE") will have the same engineering. It has to do with the methods chosen for geometry calculation on environment and shader models. Although very advanced it suffers several drawbacks in close-up detail compared to the current tessellation technologies offered. I would be astonished at the least if even the AAA title developers were to capitalize, and implement tessellation more abroad and appropriately and simply didn't use it with the same disregard as Unreal Engine 3 did with high dynamic range/post process.[/i]

-Hooks[/quote]

I had a feeling. Oh well, CryEngine 3 looks very promising and as it has an abundance of tools for all the big three platforms (PS3, Xbox 360, PC), there is no reason under heaven why developers shouldn't use it.
[quote name='Righthooks' post='1051481' date='May 6 2010, 12:23 PM']To my knowledge, idTech 5 Engine ("RAGE") will have the same engineering. It has to do with the methods chosen for geometry calculation on environment and shader models. Although very advanced it suffers several drawbacks in close-up detail compared to the current tessellation technologies offered. I would be astonished at the least if even the AAA title developers were to capitalize, and implement tessellation more abroad and appropriately and simply didn't use it with the same disregard as Unreal Engine 3 did with high dynamic range/post process.

-Hooks

I had a feeling. Oh well, CryEngine 3 looks very promising and as it has an abundance of tools for all the big three platforms (PS3, Xbox 360, PC), there is no reason under heaven why developers shouldn't use it.

Case: Antec 1200

PSU: Corsair AX850 850W

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @4GHz 1.352v cooled w. Xigmatek Thor's Hammer

RAM: 2x4GB G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @1910MHz 9-10-9-28 2T 1.5v 2:10 FSB:DRAM

MB: ASUS Maximus III Formula Intel P55

HD: WD Velociraptor 160GB (Boot), WD Caviar Black 750GB (all my junk)

OD: ASUS Blu-Ray

GPU: 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Peripherals: Logitech G510 keyboard, Logitech G500 laser mouse, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Gateway FPD2485W 24'' monitor

Posted 05/08/2010 11:00 PM   
Good review. I enjoyed the game but I could not stop laughing at the end. The accent of the guy (and is limited amount of sentences) at the end was too funny, I had a hard time focusing.

Sounds like all the W's are replaced by V's ;)

Great fun :)
Good review. I enjoyed the game but I could not stop laughing at the end. The accent of the guy (and is limited amount of sentences) at the end was too funny, I had a hard time focusing.

Sounds like all the W's are replaced by V's ;)

Great fun :)

Posted 05/10/2010 12:47 PM   
Scroll To Top