PC keeps restarting after power-surge
Hi everyone been a while since I've been on the site, but I've been having a problem lately with my rig. It's been running fine for the last 6months had my system OC'ed to 3.5GHz from the 2.8GHz stock. But about a week ago I had a small power surge due to stormy weather, power went out for a few secs then came back on usually I wait a few mins and turn my PC back on and everything is fine, but this last time after the surge after my PC fully boots and get to my normal background and uploads my normal MSN and such it will just restart itself. Thought it was just a glitch and waited for it to reboot again, but it just kept doing it over and over after the 3rd time I just reset it back to stock settings and everything is fine. Now when I try to OC just a little bit it boots up just fine and goes back into the restarting stage all over again. I dunno if maybe my RAM has a bad sector in it or what's the problem anyone ever have this problem I would like to fix it now and OC my system back to the way it use to be.

Thanks James
Hi everyone been a while since I've been on the site, but I've been having a problem lately with my rig. It's been running fine for the last 6months had my system OC'ed to 3.5GHz from the 2.8GHz stock. But about a week ago I had a small power surge due to stormy weather, power went out for a few secs then came back on usually I wait a few mins and turn my PC back on and everything is fine, but this last time after the surge after my PC fully boots and get to my normal background and uploads my normal MSN and such it will just restart itself. Thought it was just a glitch and waited for it to reboot again, but it just kept doing it over and over after the 3rd time I just reset it back to stock settings and everything is fine. Now when I try to OC just a little bit it boots up just fine and goes back into the restarting stage all over again. I dunno if maybe my RAM has a bad sector in it or what's the problem anyone ever have this problem I would like to fix it now and OC my system back to the way it use to be.

Thanks James

Posted 08/12/2009 02:59 PM   
seen a similar situation...But with a surge in power like that its no telling what may have been damaged.....They one I looked at was the mobo was damaged and kept rebooting in a loop....Dropping the OC on that one didnt fix the issue....Now with that said I would take all my hardware to a different rig and test it on a mobo you know is good....Test all your ram 1 stick at a time. then all together....You arent even staying up long enough to get temp readings....Could also be your cpu overheating and thermaly shutting down...I would leave my ram stock and put a mild oc on the cpu and go check your temps see if anythings out of the ordinary...Crap even you psu could be damaged.....My friend invest in a good surge protector...Its cheaper than buying a new rig....
seen a similar situation...But with a surge in power like that its no telling what may have been damaged.....They one I looked at was the mobo was damaged and kept rebooting in a loop....Dropping the OC on that one didnt fix the issue....Now with that said I would take all my hardware to a different rig and test it on a mobo you know is good....Test all your ram 1 stick at a time. then all together....You arent even staying up long enough to get temp readings....Could also be your cpu overheating and thermaly shutting down...I would leave my ram stock and put a mild oc on the cpu and go check your temps see if anythings out of the ordinary...Crap even you psu could be damaged.....My friend invest in a good surge protector...Its cheaper than buying a new rig....

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 08/12/2009 03:09 PM   
My RAM has always been stock I never OC'ed it, only OC'ing I did to my system was the CPU. System is on a nice surge protector made by Monster. Thing is there's no other system in the house I can test my parts on really. All the other PC's in the house are old store bought systems that won't even handle most of my parts lol. I don't think it's a overheating problem on the CPU part I kept a eye on the indicator that shows up red if it's overheating. Hope it's not the MB I don't have the money atm to replace it, but it should still be under warranty by XFX.
My RAM has always been stock I never OC'ed it, only OC'ing I did to my system was the CPU. System is on a nice surge protector made by Monster. Thing is there's no other system in the house I can test my parts on really. All the other PC's in the house are old store bought systems that won't even handle most of my parts lol. I don't think it's a overheating problem on the CPU part I kept a eye on the indicator that shows up red if it's overheating. Hope it's not the MB I don't have the money atm to replace it, but it should still be under warranty by XFX.

Posted 08/12/2009 03:16 PM   
[quote name='Demonicsoul' post='325176' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:16 AM']My RAM has always been stock I never OC'ed it, only OC'ing I did to my system was the CPU. System is on a nice surge protector made by Monster. Thing is there's no other system in the house I can test my parts on really. All the other PC's in the house are old store bought systems that won't even handle most of my parts lol. I don't think it's a overheating problem on the CPU part I kept a eye on the indicator that shows up red if it's overheating. Hope it's not the MB I don't have the money atm to replace it, but it should still be under warranty by XFX.[/quote]

call tech support dont mention the surge....let them walk you through trouble shooting it.....And maybe start a rma for it....best advice I can give you...let us know how it goes for you....
[quote name='Demonicsoul' post='325176' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:16 AM']My RAM has always been stock I never OC'ed it, only OC'ing I did to my system was the CPU. System is on a nice surge protector made by Monster. Thing is there's no other system in the house I can test my parts on really. All the other PC's in the house are old store bought systems that won't even handle most of my parts lol. I don't think it's a overheating problem on the CPU part I kept a eye on the indicator that shows up red if it's overheating. Hope it's not the MB I don't have the money atm to replace it, but it should still be under warranty by XFX.

call tech support dont mention the surge....let them walk you through trouble shooting it.....And maybe start a rma for it....best advice I can give you...let us know how it goes for you....

Posted 08/12/2009 03:27 PM   
Temps are the same as they usually are at stock 48C~ on the CPU and 45C~ on the GPUs. Already opened a ticket with XFX they are usually quick to respond to me atleast. But if I do up end up having to get a new MB atleast I can upgrade to a X58 board from EVGA or something just have to save up for it.
Temps are the same as they usually are at stock 48C~ on the CPU and 45C~ on the GPUs. Already opened a ticket with XFX they are usually quick to respond to me atleast. But if I do up end up having to get a new MB atleast I can upgrade to a X58 board from EVGA or something just have to save up for it.

Posted 08/12/2009 03:36 PM   
Try unplugging any usb devices and see i that changes...sometimes they can cause a restart loop...can"t hurt to try it..
Try unplugging any usb devices and see i that changes...sometimes they can cause a restart loop...can"t hurt to try it..

Posted 08/12/2009 03:54 PM   
[quote name='dirtylarry' post='325181' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:54 AM']Try unplugging any usb devices and see i that changes...sometimes they can cause a restart loop...can"t hurt to try it..[/quote]

heck yea anything simple try it......
[quote name='dirtylarry' post='325181' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:54 AM']Try unplugging any usb devices and see i that changes...sometimes they can cause a restart loop...can"t hurt to try it..

heck yea anything simple try it......

Posted 08/12/2009 03:58 PM   
Well I tried the USB thing didn't help but I pulled 1 stick of ram OC'ed the CPU a little and it booted up and stayed running. Then tried the other stick it would boot up then freeze after the log-in screen. SO i'm guessing that stick is bad and gonna have to try for a RMA through OCZ.
Well I tried the USB thing didn't help but I pulled 1 stick of ram OC'ed the CPU a little and it booted up and stayed running. Then tried the other stick it would boot up then freeze after the log-in screen. SO i'm guessing that stick is bad and gonna have to try for a RMA through OCZ.

Posted 08/12/2009 05:37 PM   
Well I thought I had it figured out but I guess I don't. I ran Memtest86 on both sticks of ram before I got in contact with OCZ about a RMA. Both sticks passed without any errors. So now I'm back to square one. I've cleared my CMOS and set everything back to stock settings. Computer will run on stock settings but as soon as I try to OC from 2.87GHz to 3.24GHz for gaming it will either freeze after long-in screen or restart. Memory settings are at 8-8-8-27 2T 1.9v. Computer ran fine just last week, this is getting annoying /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />
Well I thought I had it figured out but I guess I don't. I ran Memtest86 on both sticks of ram before I got in contact with OCZ about a RMA. Both sticks passed without any errors. So now I'm back to square one. I've cleared my CMOS and set everything back to stock settings. Computer will run on stock settings but as soon as I try to OC from 2.87GHz to 3.24GHz for gaming it will either freeze after long-in screen or restart. Memory settings are at 8-8-8-27 2T 1.9v. Computer ran fine just last week, this is getting annoying /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

Posted 08/13/2009 04:08 PM   
the cpu could have become damaged at a microscopic level. I had this happen to a cpu before. It would operate at stock and slightly overclocked but it would never return to its previous overclock even though the temps weren't bad.
the cpu could have become damaged at a microscopic level. I had this happen to a cpu before. It would operate at stock and slightly overclocked but it would never return to its previous overclock even though the temps weren't bad.

Posted 08/13/2009 05:50 PM   
Well after having my PC keep freezing up for the last couple weeks still I decided to give Intel a call about RMA'ing my CPU what a nightmare that was. After giving the tech all the info on the CPU and stock fan then saying that I don't use the stock fan I bought a better cpu cooler (wish I never said anything) the tech gives me the run around saying I voided my warranty not using the stock CPU cooler. But after 45 mins of bitch&*^ at the tech I finally got my way and Intel RMA'ed my CPU now I'm just waiting for it to come back in the mail to see if the freezing issues stop.

Though I do hope they mess up and send me the better version of the Q9550 that uses 65W instead of the 95W my old one used :)
Well after having my PC keep freezing up for the last couple weeks still I decided to give Intel a call about RMA'ing my CPU what a nightmare that was. After giving the tech all the info on the CPU and stock fan then saying that I don't use the stock fan I bought a better cpu cooler (wish I never said anything) the tech gives me the run around saying I voided my warranty not using the stock CPU cooler. But after 45 mins of bitch&*^ at the tech I finally got my way and Intel RMA'ed my CPU now I'm just waiting for it to come back in the mail to see if the freezing issues stop.

Though I do hope they mess up and send me the better version of the Q9550 that uses 65W instead of the 95W my old one used :)

Posted 09/07/2009 05:03 PM   
Scroll To Top