Cannot Enable Geforce Boost
  1 / 2    
I am currently using a geforce 9300 with a geforce 8500, and in device manager it shows up as geforce 9480. Where is that tray icon that I'm supposed to see? My bios settings are all configured correctly and I'm using windows 7 RC.
I am currently using a geforce 9300 with a geforce 8500, and in device manager it shows up as geforce 9480. Where is that tray icon that I'm supposed to see? My bios settings are all configured correctly and I'm using windows 7 RC.

Posted 07/18/2009 05:06 PM   
[quote name='Cryda' post='320308' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:06 AM']I am currently using a geforce 9300 with a geforce 8500, and in device manager it shows up as geforce 9480. Where is that tray icon that I'm supposed to see? My bios settings are all configured correctly and I'm using windows 7 RC.[/quote]

Im assuming the 9300 is your onboard GPU and the 8500 is your add on card. Now Im not the expert on Hybrid SLI tech but I think maybe your setup may just not be compatible for the purpose of running geforce boost. Im not sure how powerful the 9300 is compared to the 8500 but if the one is signifigantly more powerful than the other they will not work together and you will see no benefit. Also just cuz you have the option in your bios and are able to enable it doesnt mean it will work. not trying to be rude, just saying. :smile: I also have windows 7 RC and it works quite well IMO but its also possible that windows 7 doesnt get along with that feature, not sure why it wouldnt just giving you something to consider.
Also this may have changed since I heard it but I have heard that in order to use Hybrid SLI tech which includes Geforce boost you need to have a GPU that is within the same series as the on board GPU i.e. 9300 on board GPU with a 9xxx series card. I would check with your board manufacturer to find if that is the case for you, and if your set up is compatible they can help trouble shoot why it isnt working for you
[quote name='Cryda' post='320308' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:06 AM']I am currently using a geforce 9300 with a geforce 8500, and in device manager it shows up as geforce 9480. Where is that tray icon that I'm supposed to see? My bios settings are all configured correctly and I'm using windows 7 RC.

Im assuming the 9300 is your onboard GPU and the 8500 is your add on card. Now Im not the expert on Hybrid SLI tech but I think maybe your setup may just not be compatible for the purpose of running geforce boost. Im not sure how powerful the 9300 is compared to the 8500 but if the one is signifigantly more powerful than the other they will not work together and you will see no benefit. Also just cuz you have the option in your bios and are able to enable it doesnt mean it will work. not trying to be rude, just saying. :smile: I also have windows 7 RC and it works quite well IMO but its also possible that windows 7 doesnt get along with that feature, not sure why it wouldnt just giving you something to consider.

Also this may have changed since I heard it but I have heard that in order to use Hybrid SLI tech which includes Geforce boost you need to have a GPU that is within the same series as the on board GPU i.e. 9300 on board GPU with a 9xxx series card. I would check with your board manufacturer to find if that is the case for you, and if your set up is compatible they can help trouble shoot why it isnt working for you

Posted 07/19/2009 01:16 AM   
Oh and WELCOME!! :biggrin:
Oh and WELCOME!! :biggrin:

Posted 07/19/2009 01:16 AM   
What's showing up in you device manager is your onboard GPU. And only GTS 250 and up will work with hybrid SLI.
What's showing up in you device manager is your onboard GPU. And only GTS 250 and up will work with hybrid SLI.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington 1982 to 2010

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

* MSI GTX 470 * EVGA GTX 470 * Antec 900

PM's for assistance/clarification are welcome.

Posted 07/19/2009 01:47 AM   
[quote name='Cryda' post='320308' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:06 PM']I am currently using a geforce 9300 with a geforce 8500, and in device manager it shows up as geforce 9480. Where is that tray icon that I'm supposed to see? My bios settings are all configured correctly and I'm using windows 7 RC.[/quote]
Windows has no native support for Geforce boost/Hybrid SLI, as Microsoft has spoken out against the technology as being potentially hazardous to your computer, so it doesn't matter what version of Windows you use, Microsoft isn't meeting Nvidia halfway on the tech.

However, your Geforce boost is in fact active right now because the card and chipset are reading as a combined/"imaginary" card right now by the device manager; when the boost isn't enabled, the device manager generally reads two separate video adapters. Geforce boost is enabled/disabled in the Nvidia control panel.

The Hybrid SLI boost should work with any any series from the 8xxx on up, but for the most part few users see significant results because: they're either playing games that overpower their lower end cards regardless of settings and the prescence of Geforce Boost; the games simply have no SLI profile for the Hybrid SLI to utilize; or the boost that the higher end cards receive is so minimal that it will at best provide a 1 or 2 frame per second boost, which most users are unlikely to notice.

Overall, Hybrid SLI is a nice concept but the technology just isn't ready for practical use yet.
[quote name='Cryda' post='320308' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:06 PM']I am currently using a geforce 9300 with a geforce 8500, and in device manager it shows up as geforce 9480. Where is that tray icon that I'm supposed to see? My bios settings are all configured correctly and I'm using windows 7 RC.

Windows has no native support for Geforce boost/Hybrid SLI, as Microsoft has spoken out against the technology as being potentially hazardous to your computer, so it doesn't matter what version of Windows you use, Microsoft isn't meeting Nvidia halfway on the tech.

However, your Geforce boost is in fact active right now because the card and chipset are reading as a combined/"imaginary" card right now by the device manager; when the boost isn't enabled, the device manager generally reads two separate video adapters. Geforce boost is enabled/disabled in the Nvidia control panel.

The Hybrid SLI boost should work with any any series from the 8xxx on up, but for the most part few users see significant results because: they're either playing games that overpower their lower end cards regardless of settings and the prescence of Geforce Boost; the games simply have no SLI profile for the Hybrid SLI to utilize; or the boost that the higher end cards receive is so minimal that it will at best provide a 1 or 2 frame per second boost, which most users are unlikely to notice.

Overall, Hybrid SLI is a nice concept but the technology just isn't ready for practical use yet.

Posted 07/19/2009 04:37 AM   
Hybrid SLI means onboard GPU will be used when in 2D mode and external card will be powered off. No game will be run by the onboard card even when you have Hybrid SLI. Imagine an onboard 16 SP GPU trying to run Crysis in SLI with GTX 285.
Hybrid SLI means onboard GPU will be used when in 2D mode and external card will be powered off. No game will be run by the onboard card even when you have Hybrid SLI. Imagine an onboard 16 SP GPU trying to run Crysis in SLI with GTX 285.

Posted 07/19/2009 12:47 PM   
Nvidia Control Panel shows that both devices are connected to my analog display as geforce 9480(8500 + 9300). I do not see that tray icon that I am supposed to see, nor do I see where to enable it in nvidia control panel.
Nvidia Control Panel shows that both devices are connected to my analog display as geforce 9480(8500 + 9300). I do not see that tray icon that I am supposed to see, nor do I see where to enable it in nvidia control panel.

Posted 07/19/2009 05:33 PM   
[quote name='G.Abhinav' post='320499' date='Jul 19 2009, 08:47 AM']Hybrid SLI means onboard GPU will be used when in 2D mode and external card will be powered off. No game will be run by the onboard card even when you have Hybrid SLI. Imagine an onboard 16 SP GPU trying to run Crysis in SLI with GTX 285.[/quote]

You are thinking about Hybrid Power, which does that. Hybrid bosst is a pusedo SLI between the onboard and addin card.
It meant for lower end cards to give it a slight nudge of performance.
[quote name='G.Abhinav' post='320499' date='Jul 19 2009, 08:47 AM']Hybrid SLI means onboard GPU will be used when in 2D mode and external card will be powered off. No game will be run by the onboard card even when you have Hybrid SLI. Imagine an onboard 16 SP GPU trying to run Crysis in SLI with GTX 285.

You are thinking about Hybrid Power, which does that. Hybrid bosst is a pusedo SLI between the onboard and addin card.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 07/19/2009 07:23 PM   
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='320571' date='Jul 19 2009, 07:23 PM']You are thinking about Hybrid Power, which does that. Hybrid bosst is a pusedo SLI between the onboard and addin card.
It meant for lower end cards to give it a slight nudge of performance.[/quote]
You see? The whole Hybrid SLI/Hybrid Power/Geforce Boost is such a mess right now that none of us here can even keep the terms straight.
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='320571' date='Jul 19 2009, 07:23 PM']You are thinking about Hybrid Power, which does that. Hybrid bosst is a pusedo SLI between the onboard and addin card.

You see? The whole Hybrid SLI/Hybrid Power/Geforce Boost is such a mess right now that none of us here can even keep the terms straight.

Posted 07/20/2009 07:02 AM   
[quote name='Sray' post='320669' date='Jul 20 2009, 07:02 AM']You see? The whole Hybrid SLI/Hybrid Power/Geforce Boost is such a mess right now that none of us here can even keep the terms straight.[/quote]

That's no lie, and none of it seems to work all that well. People seem to go through a ton of head aches then come back reporting how horrible it performs.

In the case of Hybrid, they post about how it, well doesn't do anything, most of the time literally. (black screen)

All of this combined may be why Nvidia's just dropping the whole thing like 8600GT SLI support. :tongue:
[quote name='Sray' post='320669' date='Jul 20 2009, 07:02 AM']You see? The whole Hybrid SLI/Hybrid Power/Geforce Boost is such a mess right now that none of us here can even keep the terms straight.

That's no lie, and none of it seems to work all that well. People seem to go through a ton of head aches then come back reporting how horrible it performs.

In the case of Hybrid, they post about how it, well doesn't do anything, most of the time literally. (black screen)

All of this combined may be why Nvidia's just dropping the whole thing like 8600GT SLI support. :tongue:

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington 1982 to 2010

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

* MSI GTX 470 * EVGA GTX 470 * Antec 900

PM's for assistance/clarification are welcome.

Posted 07/20/2009 07:07 AM   
[quote name='Cryda' post='320558' date='Jul 19 2009, 10:33 AM']I do not see that tray icon that I am supposed to see, nor do I see where to enable it in nvidia control panel.[/quote]
Go to view in the top of the control panel and click it. There you will get the option to enable desktop context menu and show tray icon. Checking them will give one click access to Nvidia control panel through tray or right click.

Btw, I think GeForce Boost is onboard GPU + external GPU combination giving added performance. Hybrid SLI is putting a weak external GPU in combo with onboard. Hybrid power is shutting off external GPU and using onboard (wherever present) for 2D mode. Am I correct? :blink: And /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> it is driving me :wacko:
[quote name='Cryda' post='320558' date='Jul 19 2009, 10:33 AM']I do not see that tray icon that I am supposed to see, nor do I see where to enable it in nvidia control panel.

Go to view in the top of the control panel and click it. There you will get the option to enable desktop context menu and show tray icon. Checking them will give one click access to Nvidia control panel through tray or right click.

Btw, I think GeForce Boost is onboard GPU + external GPU combination giving added performance. Hybrid SLI is putting a weak external GPU in combo with onboard. Hybrid power is shutting off external GPU and using onboard (wherever present) for 2D mode. Am I correct? :blink: And /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> it is driving me :wacko:

Posted 07/20/2009 01:51 PM   
[quote name='G.Abhinav' post='320716' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:51 PM']Go to view in the top of the control panel and click it. There you will get the option to enable desktop context menu and show tray icon. Checking them will give one click access to Nvidia control panel through tray or right click.

Btw, I think GeForce Boost is onboard GPU + external GPU combination giving added performance. Hybrid SLI is putting a weak external GPU in combo with onboard. Hybrid power is shutting off external GPU and using onboard (wherever present) for 2D mode. Am I correct? :blink: And /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> it is driving me :wacko:[/quote]
I don't have either of those in my control panel. o.o

When I click view, it drops down options for standard view, advanced view, and desktop context menu.
[quote name='G.Abhinav' post='320716' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:51 PM']Go to view in the top of the control panel and click it. There you will get the option to enable desktop context menu and show tray icon. Checking them will give one click access to Nvidia control panel through tray or right click.

I don't have either of those in my control panel. o.o

When I click view, it drops down options for standard view, advanced view, and desktop context menu.

Posted 07/21/2009 05:09 AM   
[quote name='G.Abhinav' post='320716' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:51 AM']Go to view in the top of the control panel and click it. There you will get the option to enable desktop context menu and show tray icon. Checking them will give one click access to Nvidia control panel through tray or right click.

Btw, I think GeForce Boost is onboard GPU + external GPU combination giving added performance. Hybrid SLI is putting a weak external GPU in combo with onboard. Hybrid power is shutting off external GPU and using onboard (wherever present) for 2D mode. Am I correct? :blink: And /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> it is driving me :wacko:[/quote]

+1

I believe Hybrid Power also works without an onboard GPU, your card just has to support it, i.e. I have a 9800GTX+ that when not being stressed by a game or other gpu intensive programs my clocks stay 300/600/100 then go up when under load and back down again when not. Could be wrong but I think that has to do with hybrid power
[quote name='G.Abhinav' post='320716' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:51 AM']Go to view in the top of the control panel and click it. There you will get the option to enable desktop context menu and show tray icon. Checking them will give one click access to Nvidia control panel through tray or right click.

+1

I believe Hybrid Power also works without an onboard GPU, your card just has to support it, i.e. I have a 9800GTX+ that when not being stressed by a game or other gpu intensive programs my clocks stay 300/600/100 then go up when under load and back down again when not. Could be wrong but I think that has to do with hybrid power

Posted 07/21/2009 08:55 PM   
Ah /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> I forgot to mention the automatic 2D mode downclock too.
Ah /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> I forgot to mention the automatic 2D mode downclock too.

Posted 07/22/2009 09:32 AM   
Hrmm, could it possibly be a driver problem? Should I attempt to uninstall and reinstall my drivers?
Hrmm, could it possibly be a driver problem? Should I attempt to uninstall and reinstall my drivers?

Posted 07/23/2009 05:56 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top