How Do I flash a GPU BIOS with nvflash?
Maybe one of you guys knows how I can flash the BIOS to match my other GPU. I want my Overclocked BIOS on my other non-overclocked card so everything is in sync.

So, I just received my second PNY 9800GTX in the mail from Ebay. It was a nice used one with box, in like new condition. It failed at first, but after reading this forum I learned how to erase and re-install the driver to get SLI running. I'm running the new 185.85 fresh off the nVidia website. It worked with the older drivers too, like the 3dMark official drivers too, just to make sure the new ones weren't funky. My scores jumped up in 3dMark03 and 2006. But now, its giving me scrambled graphics in-game, and all day today in benchmarks. Its been freezing and locking up. Is heat the issue? I've been using Rivatuner for the past year. Its worked fine for a single GPU. With two GPU's in SLI, the 725mhz card runs 38'c while the 675mhz card runs >45'c with the fans manually set to 90%. I have had no success with the Nvidia control panel. The fan settings don't seems to ever apply, and the overclocking crashes or artifacts. Today, I took the hotter card apart and lapped it until it was a mirror, and applied fresh Artic Silver 5 like the other card. Maybe a bad powersupply? No, Last month I just replaced my 2 year old Enermax 620w PSU with a Silverstone Stryker 1000w PSU, and a FSP X5 450w supplimental booster. It will run alone on the main PSU fine. My Fluke says its running strong.

I have nvFlash v3.72, but when I click on it, it show the parameters, but fails to wait as a dos prompt to enter the command. I just want someone here to give me instructions how to flash it. I have nvFlash and the PNY 9800GTX OC BIOS already on a USB flash memory stick.

I used to play PC games when I was growing up in the 1980's, so I've worked DOS and C++ before, but forget how to get to it in XP. I flashed my old ATi X800pro to a X800 GTO and it worked faster. Now I want to eliminate any cause of SLI problems by making these two cards identical. I have checked online, and looked at the stickers on both video cards, and the only difference is the BIOS version. So I want to put the 725mhz OC version on this other card. I also have the BFG and EVGA super-clocked BIOS versions saved too, so maybe some day I'll see if I can get those to work, but so far the 625mhz card doesn't like to be overclocked in SLI.

Any thoughts or ideas? If you help flashing - I'll give you a cookie!

Drop me a line here or at kassenz at yahoo or bsbGRAVES on xfire

Thanks
SGT^GRAVES
Maybe one of you guys knows how I can flash the BIOS to match my other GPU. I want my Overclocked BIOS on my other non-overclocked card so everything is in sync.

So, I just received my second PNY 9800GTX in the mail from Ebay. It was a nice used one with box, in like new condition. It failed at first, but after reading this forum I learned how to erase and re-install the driver to get SLI running. I'm running the new 185.85 fresh off the nVidia website. It worked with the older drivers too, like the 3dMark official drivers too, just to make sure the new ones weren't funky. My scores jumped up in 3dMark03 and 2006. But now, its giving me scrambled graphics in-game, and all day today in benchmarks. Its been freezing and locking up. Is heat the issue? I've been using Rivatuner for the past year. Its worked fine for a single GPU. With two GPU's in SLI, the 725mhz card runs 38'c while the 675mhz card runs >45'c with the fans manually set to 90%. I have had no success with the Nvidia control panel. The fan settings don't seems to ever apply, and the overclocking crashes or artifacts. Today, I took the hotter card apart and lapped it until it was a mirror, and applied fresh Artic Silver 5 like the other card. Maybe a bad powersupply? No, Last month I just replaced my 2 year old Enermax 620w PSU with a Silverstone Stryker 1000w PSU, and a FSP X5 450w supplimental booster. It will run alone on the main PSU fine. My Fluke says its running strong.

I have nvFlash v3.72, but when I click on it, it show the parameters, but fails to wait as a dos prompt to enter the command. I just want someone here to give me instructions how to flash it. I have nvFlash and the PNY 9800GTX OC BIOS already on a USB flash memory stick.

I used to play PC games when I was growing up in the 1980's, so I've worked DOS and C++ before, but forget how to get to it in XP. I flashed my old ATi X800pro to a X800 GTO and it worked faster. Now I want to eliminate any cause of SLI problems by making these two cards identical. I have checked online, and looked at the stickers on both video cards, and the only difference is the BIOS version. So I want to put the 725mhz OC version on this other card. I also have the BFG and EVGA super-clocked BIOS versions saved too, so maybe some day I'll see if I can get those to work, but so far the 625mhz card doesn't like to be overclocked in SLI.

Any thoughts or ideas? If you help flashing - I'll give you a cookie!

Drop me a line here or at kassenz at yahoo or bsbGRAVES on xfire

Thanks

SGT^GRAVES

Posted 05/17/2009 06:21 AM   
Search feature is my friend - theres already 20+ threads and guides about this
Search feature is my friend - theres already 20+ threads and guides about this

Posted 05/17/2009 06:59 AM   
Unless its [size=7][color="#FF0000"]absolutely[/color][/size] necessary to flash your gpu bios , and i mean life or death necessary. DON'T DO IT!

Do it wrong and you can turn your cards into bricks in a few seconds. Flashing a gpu bios is not like flashing a mobo bios and has many more risks involved.

Not even the most experienced of us will attempt a gpu bios flash because its risky and 99% of the time not necessary.
Unless its absolutely necessary to flash your gpu bios , and i mean life or death necessary. DON'T DO IT!

Do it wrong and you can turn your cards into bricks in a few seconds. Flashing a gpu bios is not like flashing a mobo bios and has many more risks involved.

Not even the most experienced of us will attempt a gpu bios flash because its risky and 99% of the time not necessary.

Posted 05/17/2009 10:51 AM   
[quote name='{CuF}crazycanuck' post='304972' date='May 17 2009, 06:51 AM']Unless its [size=7][color="#FF0000"]absolutely[/color][/size] necessary to flash your gpu bios , and i mean life or death necessary. DON'T DO IT!

Not even the most experienced of us will attempt a gpu bios flash because its risky and 99% of the time not necessary.[/quote]
Kind of like if its not broke dont try to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!
[quote name='{CuF}crazycanuck' post='304972' date='May 17 2009, 06:51 AM']Unless its absolutely necessary to flash your gpu bios , and i mean life or death necessary. DON'T DO IT!

Kind of like if its not broke dont try to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 05/17/2009 01:16 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='304991' date='May 17 2009, 02:16 PM']Kind of like if its not broke dont try to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
nosh1t...one I know fried 2 of his cards because of his ignorance...I dont get it, what are ppl reading, are they misunderstanding something
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='304991' date='May 17 2009, 02:16 PM']Kind of like if its not broke dont try to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!

nosh1t...one I know fried 2 of his cards because of his ignorance...I dont get it, what are ppl reading, are they misunderstanding something

Posted 05/17/2009 06:39 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='304991' date='May 17 2009, 05:16 AM']Kind of like if its not broke dont try to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Personally, I vote for RMA instead of BIOS flash even if BIOS flash can solve that problem because wrong BIOS flash can not only kill your card, it'll also render your warranty useless; so you will have a silicon paper weight (in Exitios' terms) that you can't RMA to get a new working card.
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='304991' date='May 17 2009, 05:16 AM']Kind of like if its not broke dont try to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I vote for RMA instead of BIOS flash even if BIOS flash can solve that problem because wrong BIOS flash can not only kill your card, it'll also render your warranty useless; so you will have a silicon paper weight (in Exitios' terms) that you can't RMA to get a new working card.

Posted 05/19/2009 04:00 PM   
Ok, have any of you actually flashed your GPU bios?

It isn't that hard, it is fairly easy and takes ledd than 10 minutes time.

It certainly comes with risks, if you take your time and use common sense, you CAN'T mess it up!

Obviously it depends on what you are doing as well, if you are editing your current Bios for clocks or voltage the risks are relatively low, especially if you do it right and back up the original bios.

If you are flashing an 8800Ultra bios to an 8800GTX card, then it gets just a little more risky, but to simply edit an existing bios, or even flash a BFG card with an EVGA bios, as long as the cards are the same model, this is also no big deal.

~Nutz

PS, here are some instructions that I have saved for just this sort of thing:

"ok, you are going to put nvflash onto the floppy disk Make sure it’s formatted and bootable BEFORE placing Nvflash (or anything else at all for that matter) on it.

once its done, reboot with the floppy in the drive. if your Boot sequence isn't set to floppy (removable) first. make it that way. now. once that's all set and you POST, etc. your puter should start to boot from your floppy. you'll hear all those floppy drive noises. and you should end up at an A:/ prompt.

type in nvflash.exe -b {name}.rom

ok. so i used BIOS as the {name} so my screen looked like this:
A:/ nvflash.exe -b BIOS.rom (this is copying the current and stock bios to the floppy to be edited in nibitor)

and then you hit enter. you'll see stuff going to work. being magical and all. then once its done, it'll tell you so. remove the floppy disk from the drive and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. this time, log onto windows.

once you are there, put the floppy back in and boot up nibitor. go to file>>Open and select your .rom (BIOS FILE) from the A:/ drive.

once it opens it up, set your new clocks to whatever you want. save as.... a new file. you don't want to OVERWRITE the OLD BIOS. YOU MAY NEED IT AS A BACKUP. so, i used NEW.rom.

now, reboot the computer, leaving the floppy IN the drive, you want to boot from the floppy.

once you get to the A:/ prompt again. you are going to type in
nvflash –f NEW.rom

and hit enter.

it'll do its little thing. and TADA!!! new BIOS flashed. now, remove the floppy and reboot. Don’t forget to put your boot settings back the way they were (HDD or CDROM before the floppy, etc.)

if it won't boot, then there's something up with your settings. flash back to your original and start over.

good luck and remember, flashing the BIOS VOIDS the warranty!!!!!!"
Ok, have any of you actually flashed your GPU bios?

It isn't that hard, it is fairly easy and takes ledd than 10 minutes time.

It certainly comes with risks, if you take your time and use common sense, you CAN'T mess it up!

Obviously it depends on what you are doing as well, if you are editing your current Bios for clocks or voltage the risks are relatively low, especially if you do it right and back up the original bios.

If you are flashing an 8800Ultra bios to an 8800GTX card, then it gets just a little more risky, but to simply edit an existing bios, or even flash a BFG card with an EVGA bios, as long as the cards are the same model, this is also no big deal.

~Nutz

PS, here are some instructions that I have saved for just this sort of thing:

"ok, you are going to put nvflash onto the floppy disk Make sure it’s formatted and bootable BEFORE placing Nvflash (or anything else at all for that matter) on it.

once its done, reboot with the floppy in the drive. if your Boot sequence isn't set to floppy (removable) first. make it that way. now. once that's all set and you POST, etc. your puter should start to boot from your floppy. you'll hear all those floppy drive noises. and you should end up at an A:/ prompt.

type in nvflash.exe -b {name}.rom

ok. so i used BIOS as the {name} so my screen looked like this:

A:/ nvflash.exe -b BIOS.rom (this is copying the current and stock bios to the floppy to be edited in nibitor)

and then you hit enter. you'll see stuff going to work. being magical and all. then once its done, it'll tell you so. remove the floppy disk from the drive and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. this time, log onto windows.

once you are there, put the floppy back in and boot up nibitor. go to file>>Open and select your .rom (BIOS FILE) from the A:/ drive.

once it opens it up, set your new clocks to whatever you want. save as.... a new file. you don't want to OVERWRITE the OLD BIOS. YOU MAY NEED IT AS A BACKUP. so, i used NEW.rom.

now, reboot the computer, leaving the floppy IN the drive, you want to boot from the floppy.

once you get to the A:/ prompt again. you are going to type in

nvflash –f NEW.rom

and hit enter.

it'll do its little thing. and TADA!!! new BIOS flashed. now, remove the floppy and reboot. Don’t forget to put your boot settings back the way they were (HDD or CDROM before the floppy, etc.)

if it won't boot, then there's something up with your settings. flash back to your original and start over.

good luck and remember, flashing the BIOS VOIDS the warranty!!!!!!"

EVGA Classified - e760

Intel i7 980x @ 3.8Ghz

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

Corsair Dominator GT - 12GB @ 2000Mhz

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

3x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked in TriSLI

Clocks: ©800Mhz - (S)1598Mhz - (M)4053Mhz {E}

2x 150GB WD RaptorX in Raid 0

2x 1TB WD Black in Raid 0

2x Samsung DVD Burners

PC P&C T12W 1200w PSU

MPlay202+ System Control/Display

Custom Cooler Master Stacker 830

Vidikron Vision 150 DLP Projector 120"- 1080P

Samsung LN52B750 52" LCD HDTV

2x LG L227WG 22" LCDs

3D Vision - Driver ver. 1.23

Posted 05/19/2009 04:22 PM   
no thanks....hehehhehehe

motherboards i get, but gpu's...nah...enabling something thats not there and whatever...i dunno...
no thanks....hehehhehehe

motherboards i get, but gpu's...nah...enabling something thats not there and whatever...i dunno...

Posted 05/19/2009 04:25 PM   
Thanks for the replies guys

I found this website: [url="http://www.mvktech.net/"]http://www.mvktech.net/[/url] and its been helpful

I was just wondering how to use nvflash, but I've been using rivatuner in the mean time. It works fine, but the nvidia control panel sucks. I can't figure it out. The fan settings always seems to change to 0% and the other at 100% when I set them to both go to 85%. I've been trying to write new code for the BIN and ROM file using textpad, but I'm not cool enough to swing it. I really miss ATiTool. (but I'm a die-hard nvida guy.)

I've had good luck flashing BIOS. I read an artical a few years ago on flashing the old ATIx800pro to and XT, and it turned out to up my 3dmark score a few hundred higher, and made it 16pipes instead of 12 streaming pipes. I downloaded all the BIOS for the BFG and Evga versions of my 9800GTX, and they really hot-rod it. I don't know if my SLI setup really will work stable at those speeds over 760mhz, so I'm going with a conservative overclock, like 725 or 738mhz. My GPU0 runs fine at 800mhz tops by itself, but the new GPU1 card I dropped in only likes 725mhz tops.

I had to flash my new Asus M3N-78 motherboard to work with my new AM3 processor, it turned one mother board into a mindless zombie when it it re-booted my flash. But, I RMA'd it at the local Fry's I bought it at, and they handed me a new one. I bought the 3 year warranty, and it paid off. I love the AM3, but still wondered if I should have got the i7 instead. Anyways...

Crysis runs smooth now...

[size=1]and it keeps my feet warm when im consuming adult websites.[/size]
Thanks for the replies guys

I found this website: http://www.mvktech.net/ and its been helpful

I was just wondering how to use nvflash, but I've been using rivatuner in the mean time. It works fine, but the nvidia control panel sucks. I can't figure it out. The fan settings always seems to change to 0% and the other at 100% when I set them to both go to 85%. I've been trying to write new code for the BIN and ROM file using textpad, but I'm not cool enough to swing it. I really miss ATiTool. (but I'm a die-hard nvida guy.)

I've had good luck flashing BIOS. I read an artical a few years ago on flashing the old ATIx800pro to and XT, and it turned out to up my 3dmark score a few hundred higher, and made it 16pipes instead of 12 streaming pipes. I downloaded all the BIOS for the BFG and Evga versions of my 9800GTX, and they really hot-rod it. I don't know if my SLI setup really will work stable at those speeds over 760mhz, so I'm going with a conservative overclock, like 725 or 738mhz. My GPU0 runs fine at 800mhz tops by itself, but the new GPU1 card I dropped in only likes 725mhz tops.

I had to flash my new Asus M3N-78 motherboard to work with my new AM3 processor, it turned one mother board into a mindless zombie when it it re-booted my flash. But, I RMA'd it at the local Fry's I bought it at, and they handed me a new one. I bought the 3 year warranty, and it paid off. I love the AM3, but still wondered if I should have got the i7 instead. Anyways...

and it keeps my feet warm when im consuming adult websites.

Posted 05/21/2009 02:37 AM   
[quote name='kassenz' post='305878' date='May 21 2009, 03:37 AM']Thanks for the replies guys

I found this website: [url="http://www.mvktech.net/"]http://www.mvktech.net/[/url] and its been helpful

[size=1]and it keeps my feet warm when im consuming adult websites.[/size][/quote]
I7 would be better, yes...But AMD is cheaper, so saver thy monetas ol fella...Gotta hand it to you, you got sum cojones...I would never have deared to even think about flashing the GPU..Motherboard, sure, but gpu- never....heheh

*props*
[quote name='kassenz' post='305878' date='May 21 2009, 03:37 AM']Thanks for the replies guys

I found this website: http://www.mvktech.net/ and its been helpful

and it keeps my feet warm when im consuming adult websites.

I7 would be better, yes...But AMD is cheaper, so saver thy monetas ol fella...Gotta hand it to you, you got sum cojones...I would never have deared to even think about flashing the GPU..Motherboard, sure, but gpu- never....heheh

*props*

Posted 05/21/2009 12:57 PM   
Yeah, but think back to the first time you flashed a mobo. I bet you were sweating. I know I was. But now it doesn't even raise my heart rate. Same with GPUs.

When I'm working on a new card, I might flash it several times in a night. No biggie. I've never screwed up a mobo or GPU. Had a couple come up with blank displays 'cos I've overdone it with the memory timings or something, but I always keep a copy of the original BIOS on a bootable disk with a batch file to flash it back called 'restore'. Then I just boot and type 'restore' and it's fixed.

Actually, I got real lucky recently. A guy was selling an OEM copy of Vista 64 on ebay with the motherboard it came with (to keep it legal) because it died in a flashing accident. I got the copy of Vista cheap and the mobo thrown in. Cost me £62 for both. I threw in a new BIOS chip for £14 (already flashed with correct BIOS) and it fired straight up. £140 mobo for £14. It's in my sig, running a Q9550 at 4GHz. Result!
Yeah, but think back to the first time you flashed a mobo. I bet you were sweating. I know I was. But now it doesn't even raise my heart rate. Same with GPUs.

When I'm working on a new card, I might flash it several times in a night. No biggie. I've never screwed up a mobo or GPU. Had a couple come up with blank displays 'cos I've overdone it with the memory timings or something, but I always keep a copy of the original BIOS on a bootable disk with a batch file to flash it back called 'restore'. Then I just boot and type 'restore' and it's fixed.

Actually, I got real lucky recently. A guy was selling an OEM copy of Vista 64 on ebay with the motherboard it came with (to keep it legal) because it died in a flashing accident. I got the copy of Vista cheap and the mobo thrown in. Cost me £62 for both. I threw in a new BIOS chip for £14 (already flashed with correct BIOS) and it fired straight up. £140 mobo for £14. It's in my sig, running a Q9550 at 4GHz. Result!

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 05/21/2009 11:00 PM   
So, what do you use? Nvflash? Any secrets you want to share?

My goal is to re-write the GPU bios to 85% fanspeed, and a mild 755mhz over clock. With Riva, it tops out at 801mhz, and 755 is the stock bios on a GTS250 or a BFG 9800GTX.

I'm having alot of trouble setting my GPU fans higher in SLI.... Riva wont work with new 186.18 drivers, and nvidia control panel needs a ground-up redesign. I cant get it to even load or save a profile. So I read here until 2am nightly now.
So, what do you use? Nvflash? Any secrets you want to share?

My goal is to re-write the GPU bios to 85% fanspeed, and a mild 755mhz over clock. With Riva, it tops out at 801mhz, and 755 is the stock bios on a GTS250 or a BFG 9800GTX.

I'm having alot of trouble setting my GPU fans higher in SLI.... Riva wont work with new 186.18 drivers, and nvidia control panel needs a ground-up redesign. I cant get it to even load or save a profile. So I read here until 2am nightly now.

Posted 06/19/2009 09:24 PM   
Scroll To Top