Flight Simulator X multi-monitor
I've been looking for hours on google and what not on how to configure this so called "mutli-monitor" display support for FSX. The official site claims, and SLI ZONE claims that FSX supports multi-monitor rendering "beautifully" - and I've seen it on youtube, so I know it's possible. Yet, I can't configure FSX to display on both monitors at the same time, FSX insists on playing on only one monitor (in fullscreen mode). I would think that this would be easy to configure - but I'm at a total loss.

I have two identical 1920x1200 monitors, and two 8800 GTs. I've tried both SLI modes, running the monitors on both cards etc. I also have the latest 181 drivers that was just released last month. Has anyone been able to get this working??
Thanks in advance.

Jeremy
I've been looking for hours on google and what not on how to configure this so called "mutli-monitor" display support for FSX. The official site claims, and SLI ZONE claims that FSX supports multi-monitor rendering "beautifully" - and I've seen it on youtube, so I know it's possible. Yet, I can't configure FSX to display on both monitors at the same time, FSX insists on playing on only one monitor (in fullscreen mode). I would think that this would be easy to configure - but I'm at a total loss.

I have two identical 1920x1200 monitors, and two 8800 GTs. I've tried both SLI modes, running the monitors on both cards etc. I also have the latest 181 drivers that was just released last month. Has anyone been able to get this working??

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Posted 02/06/2009 06:27 AM   
[quote name='nero888' post='272487' date='Feb 6 2009, 08:27 AM']I've been looking for hours on google and what not on how to configure this so called "mutli-monitor" display support for FSX. The official site claims, and SLI ZONE claims that FSX supports multi-monitor rendering "beautifully" - and I've seen it on youtube, so I know it's possible. Yet, I can't configure FSX to display on both monitors at the same time, FSX insists on playing on only one monitor (in fullscreen mode). I would think that this would be easy to configure - but I'm at a total loss.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy[/quote]

Hi Jeremy,

I'm also trying to get widescreen running. On X-Plane it's as simple as setting the resolution to 2048 x 768, to have the view span two monitors in full screen. You only need to restart the application once after changing the resolution. With FSX it's a nightmare to get multi-screen setup. This is clearly an application problem specific to FSX, which seems to render only to one monitor. The only solution I found, which seems to work is with a Matrox TrilpleHead2go to split the image on three screens. Since the TH2go is connected to one DVI-Output on the Video-Card, The application cannot know how many screens are attached behind the TH2go.
But now there seems to be another problem. When you use multiple display, you will have a resolution bigger than 2048 x 768 (like 3074 x 768) and the 3D accelerator needs to render for this resolution, so the Framerate will probably be reduced. I will try this setting and post my experience as soon as I get the TrilpleHead2go (http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=917&p=2309). I've seen a lot of videos on youtube with FSX running on multiple displays, but I've not found out what setup they've been using.
If someone has experience with FSX and multi-screen-setup with resolutions higher than 3074 x 768 please give us a hint how to do it. I've also been
trying to get it working with WideView but it's simply impossible to get the alignment correct, if you want precise view and pixel-alignment,

If someone has any idea how to improve framerate with resolutions higher than 2560x1600 (maybe with sli) please post this method here. But as far as I understood, you need to connect the second screen directly to the second card in order to get two screens running, which will not work with SFX, because you cannot span the screen over multiple monitors.

taco24
[quote name='nero888' post='272487' date='Feb 6 2009, 08:27 AM']I've been looking for hours on google and what not on how to configure this so called "mutli-monitor" display support for FSX. The official site claims, and SLI ZONE claims that FSX supports multi-monitor rendering "beautifully" - and I've seen it on youtube, so I know it's possible. Yet, I can't configure FSX to display on both monitors at the same time, FSX insists on playing on only one monitor (in fullscreen mode). I would think that this would be easy to configure - but I'm at a total loss.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I'm also trying to get widescreen running. On X-Plane it's as simple as setting the resolution to 2048 x 768, to have the view span two monitors in full screen. You only need to restart the application once after changing the resolution. With FSX it's a nightmare to get multi-screen setup. This is clearly an application problem specific to FSX, which seems to render only to one monitor. The only solution I found, which seems to work is with a Matrox TrilpleHead2go to split the image on three screens. Since the TH2go is connected to one DVI-Output on the Video-Card, The application cannot know how many screens are attached behind the TH2go.

But now there seems to be another problem. When you use multiple display, you will have a resolution bigger than 2048 x 768 (like 3074 x 768) and the 3D accelerator needs to render for this resolution, so the Framerate will probably be reduced. I will try this setting and post my experience as soon as I get the TrilpleHead2go (http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=917&p=2309). I've seen a lot of videos on youtube with FSX running on multiple displays, but I've not found out what setup they've been using.

If someone has experience with FSX and multi-screen-setup with resolutions higher than 3074 x 768 please give us a hint how to do it. I've also been

trying to get it working with WideView but it's simply impossible to get the alignment correct, if you want precise view and pixel-alignment,

If someone has any idea how to improve framerate with resolutions higher than 2560x1600 (maybe with sli) please post this method here. But as far as I understood, you need to connect the second screen directly to the second card in order to get two screens running, which will not work with SFX, because you cannot span the screen over multiple monitors.

taco24

Posted 05/09/2009 12:00 PM   
I use FSX but not with Multimonitor. However, there are a few places you could try if you havent already

[url="http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23191.html"]http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23191.html[/url]

[url="http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23980.html"]http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23980.html[/url]

[url="http://www.flightsimtalk.com/2008/10/how-to-play-fsx-in-dual-monitors-or.html"]http://www.flightsimtalk.com/2008/10/how-t...onitors-or.html[/url]

[url="http://www.fsx.co.za/showthread.php?t=3406"]http://www.fsx.co.za/showthread.php?t=3406[/url]

Seems like you need to open a new view and drag it over to your other monitor by the sound so these posts. Hope this helps
I use FSX but not with Multimonitor. However, there are a few places you could try if you havent already

http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23191.html

http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt23980.html

http://www.flightsimtalk.com/2008/10/how-t...onitors-or.html

http://www.fsx.co.za/showthread.php?t=3406

Seems like you need to open a new view and drag it over to your other monitor by the sound so these posts. Hope this helps

Posted 05/09/2009 08:19 PM   
I posted on Horizon Forums too for some help:

[url="http://www.horizonsimulation.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=37725#37725"]http://www.horizonsimulation.co.uk/forums/...p?p=37725#37725[/url]

Good luck and hope you sort it!
I posted on Horizon Forums too for some help:

http://www.horizonsimulation.co.uk/forums/...p?p=37725#37725

Good luck and hope you sort it!

Posted 05/10/2009 10:56 AM   
There are a number of ways depending on what you want to do. Generally I personally don't like the split in the middle of the screen so I use the following: Let FSX run in full screen on my primary then click on the radio stack, engineer's panel , External view, whatever and let it open a new window which I then drag and drop to the secondary monitor. You can also run in windowed mode which lets you stretch the view out over two monitors but I last tried it with FS9 and I was in 2D panel so I don't know how it would look with FSX's 3D Panels. Also, there was definate degradation of image quality by running in windowed mode in the bumpit view. I'm not sure but you might try the NView function to set your desktop across more than one monitor . The thing to remember is FSX ONLY sees the resolutions reported by windows so if you aren't natively in a High-res desktop FSX will not see it. The exception to all of that is to go triple-head to go or parhelia which support three monitors. Hope that helps a bit, sorry I could'nt be a bit more enlightening but last time I multi-montored was on an X800XL running two 19 in . CRTs!!! (Hence my ignorance regarding NView)
There are a number of ways depending on what you want to do. Generally I personally don't like the split in the middle of the screen so I use the following: Let FSX run in full screen on my primary then click on the radio stack, engineer's panel , External view, whatever and let it open a new window which I then drag and drop to the secondary monitor. You can also run in windowed mode which lets you stretch the view out over two monitors but I last tried it with FS9 and I was in 2D panel so I don't know how it would look with FSX's 3D Panels. Also, there was definate degradation of image quality by running in windowed mode in the bumpit view. I'm not sure but you might try the NView function to set your desktop across more than one monitor . The thing to remember is FSX ONLY sees the resolutions reported by windows so if you aren't natively in a High-res desktop FSX will not see it. The exception to all of that is to go triple-head to go or parhelia which support three monitors. Hope that helps a bit, sorry I could'nt be a bit more enlightening but last time I multi-montored was on an X800XL running two 19 in . CRTs!!! (Hence my ignorance regarding NView)

Posted 05/10/2009 12:46 PM   
Well I just got the TripleHead2Go and after three months of tweaking and tuning I have to say, that I finally found the perfect solution. TH2Go is worth every cent. No configuring or trying to align the views, it just works out of the box. I tried WidevieW but it cannot be compared to the Hardware solution, because alignment is not possible. But in order to have the instrument panels on another computer WidevieW is definitely the right solution.
I have a nVidia 9800GT and with a resolution of 3072x768 I still have 20 fps. According to nVidia my card has Graphics Performance of 23x compared to the latest GeForce GTX295 with Graphic Performance of 67x. I will not even bother to try out SLI because with the newest Card I will already get 3 times more performance.
The solution is certainly quite expensive, but compared to the three months of trying out to align the views it's certainly worth it.

Thanks for the remark, that FSX just lists the resolutions from the operating systems. I can confirm this. Just select the appropriate resolution and zoom out the view with '-'. The Field of View is approximately 120° - 160°.

X-Plane also works perfect and the FOV can be set up to 170° in the rendering settings.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Well I just got the TripleHead2Go and after three months of tweaking and tuning I have to say, that I finally found the perfect solution. TH2Go is worth every cent. No configuring or trying to align the views, it just works out of the box. I tried WidevieW but it cannot be compared to the Hardware solution, because alignment is not possible. But in order to have the instrument panels on another computer WidevieW is definitely the right solution.

I have a nVidia 9800GT and with a resolution of 3072x768 I still have 20 fps. According to nVidia my card has Graphics Performance of 23x compared to the latest GeForce GTX295 with Graphic Performance of 67x. I will not even bother to try out SLI because with the newest Card I will already get 3 times more performance.

The solution is certainly quite expensive, but compared to the three months of trying out to align the views it's certainly worth it.

Thanks for the remark, that FSX just lists the resolutions from the operating systems. I can confirm this. Just select the appropriate resolution and zoom out the view with '-'. The Field of View is approximately 120° - 160°.

X-Plane also works perfect and the FOV can be set up to 170° in the rendering settings.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted 05/12/2009 06:09 PM   
Ok guys after diggin heres what i got....

Its all beauce of Microsoft Vista, The new DRM rules vista uses forced NVIDIA to discontinue the vertical / horizontal span feature that they where able to use in Windows XP using NVIDIA 178.24 drivers. This loss of function now forced windows to treat each monitor separately aka 2 monitors of 1600x900 instead of one large simulated one at 3200x900. sooo without being able to specify one large resolution instead of two smaller ones FSX is forced to use the largest resolution of the two to define maximum window size....

But heres the good news! there is a work around for those of you who have decent systems!!!

Heres what you need:
Enough video outputs to to support the about of monitors you want to run + 1
UltraMon, Contact me directly via email at jhebbel@gmail.com if you want a copy
Up to date NVIDIA drivers.
A crappy screen that will not be used except to perform this workaround

OK,
1) install ur carppy + 1 monitor an your spare video port
2) install ultramon
3) use NVIDIA to create a custom resolution on ur crappy monitor that equals the combined resolution of your good monitors. EX: i made my crappy monitors resolution 3200 x 900
4) FSX and goto your custom graphics window and select the new resolution you just created for your crappy monitors resolution (if your custom resolution is not viable edit it manually in fsx.cfg)
5) close FSX
6) right click your FSX shortcut, you should now see new tabs for UltraMon settings, set FSX to fun in windowed mode on your crappy monitor
7) re-lauch FSX and start your flight
8) drag the window from your crappy monitor to where you want it on your good one...

thats it, it will be a huge drain on your GPU as you will be running at double your normal resolution, i.e. 1600x900 + 1600x900 + 3200x900
but those of you who have SLI and quad cores shouldent have any problems...
Ok guys after diggin heres what i got....

Its all beauce of Microsoft Vista, The new DRM rules vista uses forced NVIDIA to discontinue the vertical / horizontal span feature that they where able to use in Windows XP using NVIDIA 178.24 drivers. This loss of function now forced windows to treat each monitor separately aka 2 monitors of 1600x900 instead of one large simulated one at 3200x900. sooo without being able to specify one large resolution instead of two smaller ones FSX is forced to use the largest resolution of the two to define maximum window size....

But heres the good news! there is a work around for those of you who have decent systems!!!

Heres what you need:

Enough video outputs to to support the about of monitors you want to run + 1

UltraMon, Contact me directly via email at jhebbel@gmail.com if you want a copy

Up to date NVIDIA drivers.

A crappy screen that will not be used except to perform this workaround

OK,

1) install ur carppy + 1 monitor an your spare video port

2) install ultramon

3) use NVIDIA to create a custom resolution on ur crappy monitor that equals the combined resolution of your good monitors. EX: i made my crappy monitors resolution 3200 x 900

4) FSX and goto your custom graphics window and select the new resolution you just created for your crappy monitors resolution (if your custom resolution is not viable edit it manually in fsx.cfg)

5) close FSX

6) right click your FSX shortcut, you should now see new tabs for UltraMon settings, set FSX to fun in windowed mode on your crappy monitor

7) re-lauch FSX and start your flight

8) drag the window from your crappy monitor to where you want it on your good one...

thats it, it will be a huge drain on your GPU as you will be running at double your normal resolution, i.e. 1600x900 + 1600x900 + 3200x900

but those of you who have SLI and quad cores shouldent have any problems...

Posted 10/14/2009 06:29 PM   
Scroll To Top