9800 gx2 hdmi audio Cannot get audio to work
I am trying to use my 9800 gx2 just to provide the video, and use a sound card(xonar dx) for the audio.

However, when I try to plug in the hdmi cable, it disabled the sound. I think that this is because it thinks its using hdmi audio.

Im using a 3.5mm to rca for my TV. It works with my brothers video card(8800 GT), but doesnt work with the 9800 gx2.

I am hoping to use the same method.

Any help?

I dont want to use S-PDIF unless I have to.
I am trying to use my 9800 gx2 just to provide the video, and use a sound card(xonar dx) for the audio.

However, when I try to plug in the hdmi cable, it disabled the sound. I think that this is because it thinks its using hdmi audio.

Im using a 3.5mm to rca for my TV. It works with my brothers video card(8800 GT), but doesnt work with the 9800 gx2.

Any help?

Posted 11/28/2008 02:43 AM   
[quote name='wtE' post='246391' date='Nov 27 2008, 07:43 PM']I am trying to use my 9800 gx2 just to provide the video, and use a sound card(xonar dx) for the audio.

Any help?

I dont want to use S-PDIF unless I have to.[/quote]

Do you have the cable plugged in from your sound card into the video card?
[quote name='wtE' post='246391' date='Nov 27 2008, 07:43 PM']I am trying to use my 9800 gx2 just to provide the video, and use a sound card(xonar dx) for the audio.

Any help?

Do you have the cable plugged in from your sound card into the video card?

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930k @ 4.8ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull config 4x120mm
RAM: 32GB(8x4) GeIL EVO Corsa 2400mhz (PC3 19200)
GPUs: 3x GTX 680 2GB 3 Way SLI
Main Displays: 24" Dell U2410 IPS Ultrasharp and 2x 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC Ultrasharps (6040x1200 2D surround)
Accessory Display: 21.5" Asus VS229H-P IPS 1920x1080
HDs: OS: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD; Games: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD; Apps: 128GB Crucial M225 SSD; Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Posted 11/28/2008 03:19 AM   
[quote name='Tyrdstorm' post='246397' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:19 AM']Do you have the cable plugged in from your sound card into the video card?[/quote]

no. but i found a workaround using the modified nv_disp4.inf file.

And I cannot find where I plug in from sound card to video card.
[quote name='Tyrdstorm' post='246397' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:19 AM']Do you have the cable plugged in from your sound card into the video card?

no. but i found a workaround using the modified nv_disp4.inf file.

And I cannot find where I plug in from sound card to video card.

Posted 11/29/2008 06:30 AM   
[quote name='wtE' post='246677' date='Nov 29 2008, 06:30 AM']And I cannot find where I plug in from sound card to video card.[/quote]
The included small SPDIF cable (from the mobo package) is to carry the on-board audio or soundcard audio over onto the graphics card, so when you use an HDMI cable, it will carry the video and audio signal to your HDTV. Most people who only get video from the HDMI cable is probably because they haven't used this S/PDIF cable at all.

The white connector will go into the graphics card (see below) and the other 2 longer connectors will go into the SPDIF pins on your motherboard or soundcard.

[img]http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200802/Palit9600gtSonic_aud1.jpg[/img]
[quote name='wtE' post='246677' date='Nov 29 2008, 06:30 AM']And I cannot find where I plug in from sound card to video card.

The included small SPDIF cable (from the mobo package) is to carry the on-board audio or soundcard audio over onto the graphics card, so when you use an HDMI cable, it will carry the video and audio signal to your HDTV. Most people who only get video from the HDMI cable is probably because they haven't used this S/PDIF cable at all.

The white connector will go into the graphics card (see below) and the other 2 longer connectors will go into the SPDIF pins on your motherboard or soundcard.

Posted 12/01/2008 12:55 AM   
[quote name='Aubs 9800GX2' post='247176' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:55 AM']The included small SPDIF cable (from the mobo package) is to carry the on-board audio or soundcard audio over onto the graphics card, so when you use an HDMI cable, it will carry the video and audio signal to your HDTV. Most people who only get video from the HDMI cable is probably because they haven't used this S/PDIF cable at all.

[img]http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200802/Palit9600gtSonic_aud1.jpg[/img][/quote]

oops, i meant the other way around :P i could not find where to plug in the spdif cable from the video card TO the sound card. I have a xonar DX.
[quote name='Aubs 9800GX2' post='247176' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:55 AM']The included small SPDIF cable (from the mobo package) is to carry the on-board audio or soundcard audio over onto the graphics card, so when you use an HDMI cable, it will carry the video and audio signal to your HDTV. Most people who only get video from the HDMI cable is probably because they haven't used this S/PDIF cable at all.

oops, i meant the other way around :P i could not find where to plug in the spdif cable from the video card TO the sound card. I have a xonar DX.

Posted 12/02/2008 07:42 AM   
[quote name='wtE' post='247620' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:42 AM']oops, i meant the other way around :P i could not find where to plug in the spdif cable from the video card TO the sound card. I have a xonar DX.[/quote]
I'm not sure if that card has the SPDIF pins on the sound card itself for the black connector to actually plug into.

If it doesn't have the pins (look in the manual or look for "SPDIF" labelled somewhere on the card), you'll have to use the mobo SPDIF instead of the sound card.

From other forums, it seems you don't get any better display whether it's from using DVI or HDMI. The only reason to use HDMI would be if you only had a HDMI display, otherwise stick to a monitor (decent) and speakers.
[quote name='wtE' post='247620' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:42 AM']oops, i meant the other way around :P i could not find where to plug in the spdif cable from the video card TO the sound card. I have a xonar DX.

I'm not sure if that card has the SPDIF pins on the sound card itself for the black connector to actually plug into.

If it doesn't have the pins (look in the manual or look for "SPDIF" labelled somewhere on the card), you'll have to use the mobo SPDIF instead of the sound card.

From other forums, it seems you don't get any better display whether it's from using DVI or HDMI. The only reason to use HDMI would be if you only had a HDMI display, otherwise stick to a monitor (decent) and speakers.

Posted 12/02/2008 04:41 PM   
Scroll To Top