GTX 260-216 Mixed SLI investigation
  1 / 2    
[b] Geforce GTX 260-216 Mixed SLI Investigation[/b]

[b]Introduction[/b]: Its only been a few months since the GTX 280 and GTX 260 came out. The prices for these cards have dropped significantly in the mean time. With GTX 280 cards able to be found for around 400 dollars and GTX 260 cards as low as 225 if you look in the right places. Its certainly a good time to be a gamer who is upgrading. With that respect. Nvidia has updated their Geforce GTX 260 model. The new card is called Geforce GTX 260-216 and it comes with more shader units and TMUs. I will break down the specs in a bit. The best part about this new release is that its SLI compatibile with the old GTX 260 meaning a current GTX 260 user can pick it up without worries.

[b] The Card[/b]

[url="http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/260new.jpg"][img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/260newthumb.jpg[/img][/url]

[b]Initial Thoughts[/b]: The card itself doesnt look any different from a GTX 260 or even a 280. It does only have two 6 pin connectors so you wont need a fancy power supply to connect this card up. Vendors such as BFG and EVGA will likely be putting labels on the cards and boxes which should help better serve distinguishing the difference between this and a normal GTX 260. Other than looking at the driver itself. There would be no way for me to tell the difference at a quick glance.

[url="http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/2601.png"][img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/2601thumb.png[/img][/url]

[url="http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/2602.png"][img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/2602thumb.png[/img][/url]

[b]216? 192? What[/b]: Just by looking at the driver control panel you can clearly see there is a difference between the 2 GPUs. Lets take a closer look at the differences between the cards more detail.

[img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/Graph/specs.png[/img]

[b]Thoughts[/b]: The GTX 260 and GTX 260-216 have the exact same pixel fillrate and bandwith as one another. However thanks to another cluster being enabled. The 260-216 has increased shader throughput and texturing fillrate. This should translate into greater performance in shader limited titles and higher AF performance.
Geforce GTX 260-216 Mixed SLI Investigation

Introduction: Its only been a few months since the GTX 280 and GTX 260 came out. The prices for these cards have dropped significantly in the mean time. With GTX 280 cards able to be found for around 400 dollars and GTX 260 cards as low as 225 if you look in the right places. Its certainly a good time to be a gamer who is upgrading. With that respect. Nvidia has updated their Geforce GTX 260 model. The new card is called Geforce GTX 260-216 and it comes with more shader units and TMUs. I will break down the specs in a bit. The best part about this new release is that its SLI compatibile with the old GTX 260 meaning a current GTX 260 user can pick it up without worries.

The Card

Initial Thoughts: The card itself doesnt look any different from a GTX 260 or even a 280. It does only have two 6 pin connectors so you wont need a fancy power supply to connect this card up. Vendors such as BFG and EVGA will likely be putting labels on the cards and boxes which should help better serve distinguishing the difference between this and a normal GTX 260. Other than looking at the driver itself. There would be no way for me to tell the difference at a quick glance.

216? 192? What: Just by looking at the driver control panel you can clearly see there is a difference between the 2 GPUs. Lets take a closer look at the differences between the cards more detail.

Thoughts: The GTX 260 and GTX 260-216 have the exact same pixel fillrate and bandwith as one another. However thanks to another cluster being enabled. The 260-216 has increased shader throughput and texturing fillrate. This should translate into greater performance in shader limited titles and higher AF performance.

Posted 10/04/2008 05:03 AM   
[b] Test Setup Configuration[/b]

[url="http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/260mixedSLI.jpg"][img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/screenshot/260mixedSLIthumb.jpg[/img][/url]

Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz
EVGA Nforce 780I @ 1419 FSB
Corsair XMS2 @ 800 Mhz 4 gigs
Vista 64 Bit
Forceware 178.13

[b]Note[/b]: All 260-216 SLI benches are done in a mixed SLI configuration with a standard 260.

[b] Fear Game Tests[/b]

[img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/Graph/feargame.png[/img]

[b] Thoughts[/b]: Fear is an incredibly fillrate limited title. Even with max settings the extra shader power provided by the GTX 260-216 doesnt provide much of a benefit. The GTX 280 scales nicely due to the additional ROPS and higher clocks providing it more pixel fillrate.

[b]Bioshock DX10 Game Tests[/b]

[img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/Graph/bioshockgame.png[/img]

[b]Thoughts[/b]: Bioshock is a little different and shows some more interesting results. As the game responds to the increased shader power of the 260-216. In mixed SLI the 260-216 and standard 260 are slightly faster than a standard 260 SLI configuration.

[b] Unreal Tournament 3[/b]

[img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/Graph/ut3game.png[/img]

[b]Thoughts:[/b] Like Bioshock. UT3 shows more sensitivity to the increased shader power of the newer 260 model. Once again we can see that mixing an old SLI 260 with a new 260 will produce slightly faster framerates than the 260 SLI configuration.
Test Setup Configuration

Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz

EVGA Nforce 780I @ 1419 FSB

Corsair XMS2 @ 800 Mhz 4 gigs

Vista 64 Bit

Forceware 178.13

Note: All 260-216 SLI benches are done in a mixed SLI configuration with a standard 260.

Fear Game Tests

Thoughts: Fear is an incredibly fillrate limited title. Even with max settings the extra shader power provided by the GTX 260-216 doesnt provide much of a benefit. The GTX 280 scales nicely due to the additional ROPS and higher clocks providing it more pixel fillrate.

Bioshock DX10 Game Tests

Thoughts: Bioshock is a little different and shows some more interesting results. As the game responds to the increased shader power of the 260-216. In mixed SLI the 260-216 and standard 260 are slightly faster than a standard 260 SLI configuration.

Unreal Tournament 3

Thoughts: Like Bioshock. UT3 shows more sensitivity to the increased shader power of the newer 260 model. Once again we can see that mixing an old SLI 260 with a new 260 will produce slightly faster framerates than the 260 SLI configuration.

Posted 10/04/2008 05:16 AM   
[b] PhysX Testing[/b]

[b]Note[/b]: All PhysX tests were conducted with 16xAA/16xAF @ 1680x1050 resolution. All PhysX tests are run with a single card.

[b] Unreal Tournament 3 PhysX[/b]

[img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/Graph/utphysx.png[/img]

[b]Thoughts[/b]: Using the same physx package that I did with my 9800GTX + preview. I overclocked the Q6600 to a clock that will be more consistent with modern hardware. I also included multiple comparisons of different PhysX GPUs. The GPUS scale linearly. The ones with the most stream processors of course end up being fastest.

[b] Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare 2 PhysX[/b]

[img]http://chrisray.soterial.com/260new/Graph/grawphysx.png[/img]

[b]Thoughts:[/b] GRAW 2 is a new benchmark to my test suite. And as new physX benchmarks become available I intend to start including them into my previews. GRAW 2 does not support CPU physX acceleration for advanced physX effects. However with PhysX on maximum settings you can see the first level scales linearly to the amount of stream processors available to each card.

[b] Overall Thoughts and Conclusion[/b]: The Geforce GTX 260-216 is just a small upgrade to the GTX 260. Users with Geforce GTX 280/260 cards are obviously not going to be out rushing to get this card. However as with all things it does provide a small performance boost in the 300 dollar segment which will likely trickle down to the 250 price segment soon. I have to say I am very pleased that Nvidia chose to allow this card to be SLIable with the old 260. It will help prevent unneccasary confusion when adding a second 260 card. And as seen here there are no real downsides to mixing and matching an old and a new. There's actually a slight performance boost. This is much like the 9800GTX + and 9800GTX cards. If you are opting to mix and match your 260 cards. Put the more powerful one in the primary slot. As you'll get increased CUDA performance as well as single GPU gaming performance for those rare instances when SLI wont scale. Overall if your looking for a GTX 260 card now this is the one to look for. However if your finding better deals on the 192 shader version then you wont lose much by going that route. The GTX 260 remains my favorite card release this generation for multi GPU setups while the GTX 280 is my favorite single card setup currently available.
PhysX Testing

Note: All PhysX tests were conducted with 16xAA/16xAF @ 1680x1050 resolution. All PhysX tests are run with a single card.

Unreal Tournament 3 PhysX

Thoughts: Using the same physx package that I did with my 9800GTX + preview. I overclocked the Q6600 to a clock that will be more consistent with modern hardware. I also included multiple comparisons of different PhysX GPUs. The GPUS scale linearly. The ones with the most stream processors of course end up being fastest.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare 2 PhysX

Thoughts: GRAW 2 is a new benchmark to my test suite. And as new physX benchmarks become available I intend to start including them into my previews. GRAW 2 does not support CPU physX acceleration for advanced physX effects. However with PhysX on maximum settings you can see the first level scales linearly to the amount of stream processors available to each card.

Overall Thoughts and Conclusion: The Geforce GTX 260-216 is just a small upgrade to the GTX 260. Users with Geforce GTX 280/260 cards are obviously not going to be out rushing to get this card. However as with all things it does provide a small performance boost in the 300 dollar segment which will likely trickle down to the 250 price segment soon. I have to say I am very pleased that Nvidia chose to allow this card to be SLIable with the old 260. It will help prevent unneccasary confusion when adding a second 260 card. And as seen here there are no real downsides to mixing and matching an old and a new. There's actually a slight performance boost. This is much like the 9800GTX + and 9800GTX cards. If you are opting to mix and match your 260 cards. Put the more powerful one in the primary slot. As you'll get increased CUDA performance as well as single GPU gaming performance for those rare instances when SLI wont scale. Overall if your looking for a GTX 260 card now this is the one to look for. However if your finding better deals on the 192 shader version then you wont lose much by going that route. The GTX 260 remains my favorite card release this generation for multi GPU setups while the GTX 280 is my favorite single card setup currently available.

Posted 10/04/2008 05:29 AM   
Before anyone mentions it. I did not test Crysis because the DVD is broken. I am currently working on getting a copy of Crysis Warhead. I also know its a little smaller than some other previews. But primary concerns were to show PhysX scaling across GT200 cores and mixed SLI results. :)
Before anyone mentions it. I did not test Crysis because the DVD is broken. I am currently working on getting a copy of Crysis Warhead. I also know its a little smaller than some other previews. But primary concerns were to show PhysX scaling across GT200 cores and mixed SLI results. :)

Posted 10/04/2008 05:36 AM   
[quote name='ChrisRay' post='226095' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:36 AM']Before anyone mentions it. I did not test Crysis because the DVD is broken. I am currently working on getting a copy of Crysis Warhead. I also know its a little smaller than some other previews. But primary concerns were to show PhysX scaling across GT200 cores and mixed SLI results. :)[/quote]

You can benchmark the free demo Chris,

run the gpubenchmark.bat

Demos on gamerhell and Nvidia website still.

Nice work on review.
[quote name='ChrisRay' post='226095' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:36 AM']Before anyone mentions it. I did not test Crysis because the DVD is broken. I am currently working on getting a copy of Crysis Warhead. I also know its a little smaller than some other previews. But primary concerns were to show PhysX scaling across GT200 cores and mixed SLI results. :)

You can benchmark the free demo Chris,

run the gpubenchmark.bat

Demos on gamerhell and Nvidia website still.

Nice work on review.

3D RIG:I7 2600k 4.9 Ghz, P8P67 PRO, Fort02 SE, MSi GTX 680 2GB, 4GB DDR3, 60GB Vertex 2E SSD (W7 64 Boot) OCZ Revo 2 x2 PCIE SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1.

2D: MSi 6970 2GB-QX9650-160GB SSD-TJ109. DISPLAYS:2D 120" 21:9 100HZ DLP 0.1MS, 3D 50" 400HZ Passive 0.5 MS 3D LED - 24" 120HZ 2MS Active N3D LCD, all 1080p

Posted 10/04/2008 06:19 AM   
Hmmm, the GTX 260-216 is better but not world's better, but I did not expect a huge difference.

I am considering stepping up my cards to the core 216's but still have a month to see if nvidia releases anything a little more spectacular in october.

I am happy with my GTX260's but if there are better versions out there (not including superclocked xxx ones), and stepping up doesnt cost much then why not take advantage of evga's program and step up?

It is tempting, but I will wait.

Greatt job on quick review. It was simple and straight to the point.

One question though:
Do these cards pull more power than their 192 brothers?

Thanks
Hmmm, the GTX 260-216 is better but not world's better, but I did not expect a huge difference.

I am considering stepping up my cards to the core 216's but still have a month to see if nvidia releases anything a little more spectacular in october.

I am happy with my GTX260's but if there are better versions out there (not including superclocked xxx ones), and stepping up doesnt cost much then why not take advantage of evga's program and step up?

It is tempting, but I will wait.

Greatt job on quick review. It was simple and straight to the point.

One question though:

Thanks

Posted 10/04/2008 08:20 AM   
[quote name='pricosaint' post='226115' date='Oct 4 2008, 09:20 PM']One question though:

Thanks[/quote]
I suspect so but by just a tiny bit
But I still doubt the 216 shader edition would use more power.
If the 216 shader edition was on a 55nm process it would surely use less power.
Which also makes me think if the 9800GTX+ came out on a 55nm process why didn't the GTX260 216 shader edition come on 55nm process too?
Is it because its the same core as the original GTX260 that Nvidia didn't do it, or is it just some other reason?
[quote name='pricosaint' post='226115' date='Oct 4 2008, 09:20 PM']One question though:

Thanks

I suspect so but by just a tiny bit

But I still doubt the 216 shader edition would use more power.

If the 216 shader edition was on a 55nm process it would surely use less power.

Which also makes me think if the 9800GTX+ came out on a 55nm process why didn't the GTX260 216 shader edition come on 55nm process too?

Is it because its the same core as the original GTX260 that Nvidia didn't do it, or is it just some other reason?

Posted 10/04/2008 09:21 AM   
Yes they use a bit more power. But not alot more. They still fall under the 225 Watt barrier ((IE effectively only need 2 6 pins))

Chris

[quote]Is it because its the same core as the original GTX260 that Nvidia didn't do it, or is it just some other reason?[/quote]

Essentially Nvidia has gotten yields up high enough to where theres no reason to disable these extra shader units anymore.
Yes they use a bit more power. But not alot more. They still fall under the 225 Watt barrier ((IE effectively only need 2 6 pins))

Chris

Essentially Nvidia has gotten yields up high enough to where theres no reason to disable these extra shader units anymore.

Posted 10/04/2008 09:52 AM   
Good stuff, it's about what I expected, a little bump up from the 192 core. When I SLI mine, I'm sure I'll be buying a 216.
Good stuff, it's about what I expected, a little bump up from the 192 core. When I SLI mine, I'm sure I'll be buying a 216.

Posted 10/04/2008 11:05 AM   
[quote name='the_carrot' post='226136' date='Oct 4 2008, 05:05 AM']Good stuff, it's about what I expected, a little bump up from the 192 core. When I SLI mine, I'm sure I'll be buying a 216.[/quote]

I'm probably gonna step-up from a 9800GTX+ to the Core216 GTX260. Looks like a great card.
[quote name='the_carrot' post='226136' date='Oct 4 2008, 05:05 AM']Good stuff, it's about what I expected, a little bump up from the 192 core. When I SLI mine, I'm sure I'll be buying a 216.

I'm probably gonna step-up from a 9800GTX+ to the Core216 GTX260. Looks like a great card.

Feel free to add me on Yahoo! @ becandl, on MSN @ becandl@gmail.com or e-mail me at the same address with any questions, I will help as best I can. (I also have BBM)

Posted 10/04/2008 11:37 AM   
Nice info and glad to see there is at least a modest improvement with Sli, thanks!:)
Nice info and glad to see there is at least a modest improvement with Sli, thanks!:)

Posted 10/04/2008 03:40 PM   
Great work, Chris. Thanks and hope you're doing well.

Alex

(former Rage3D Gen Graphics mod)
Great work, Chris. Thanks and hope you're doing well.

Alex

(former Rage3D Gen Graphics mod)

Posted 10/04/2008 04:07 PM   
Thanks guys. If anyone has any specific questions. Dont hesitate to ask. I know its not a new product. But I'm still happy to answer them.
Thanks guys. If anyone has any specific questions. Dont hesitate to ask. I know its not a new product. But I'm still happy to answer them.

Posted 10/05/2008 11:35 AM   
So when doing mixed SLI; how many shaders and TMUS' does it use? 192/64?
So when doing mixed SLI; how many shaders and TMUS' does it use? 192/64?

My name is Legion, for we are many

Sig: BluSOUL | HAFX | Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Pro | Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair H80 | G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Bios ACX | Seagate 500GB SATA 3 & Seagate 2TB SATA 2 | Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0116 | Philips 273E LH 27" | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 |

Posted 10/05/2008 11:45 AM   
It uses 216/72
It uses 216/72

Posted 10/05/2008 08:39 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top