Gears Of War PC - Ryme review SP campaign
  1 / 2    
I was told about Gears Of War a few months ago by some people here that heard I liked the Lost Planet games. I ended up buying a copy and sitting down to play it. First of all I had a little trouble with the in-game updates to Live and setting up my account, but after about 30 min and 2 reboots later I was ready to rock and roll.

My first impression of the game was that it was a little arcadey. The guns don't shoot bullets, more like these little pellets that look almost like oranges. The controls took a little getting used to as I had just come off the Rainbow Six Vegas games and was used to the duck and cover mechanics that work a little differently. The graphics were a little disappointing and the performance threw me for a loop. The game runs at a solid 60FPS with or without V-sync on and it seems that even if you enable V-sync there is no difference. I still get small amounts of tearing when moving quickly from left to right. The frame rates drop when the game does it's loading on the fly, but this is normally only for a split second and then your off and running again.

As the game progresses I started to feel like I was playing a first person comic book. The drawing style makes it seem as if you are piloting a charcoal drawing and I found that to be pretty cool. The cut scenes are done in either 60FPS real game video or 30FPS sort of choppy knock off video. The 30FPS cut scenes are few and far between, but I found that they looked fake enough to bring me out of the game experience.

The story is very shallow and hard to follow at times, but the linear level design helps to keep you on track but leaves little exploring to do. I'm almost done with the SP story and I still don't know what these "COG" tags are for or if I should even bother looking for them. Enemies seem to blatantly spawn one after another and at some points they will continue to spawn until you reach a cretin point in advancement or get to a flank point. The detail put into the enemy models is pretty amazing. They look really good, but you can tell that they are scripted and there is little to no AI involved in the game play.

Throughout the entire game you are playing along with one or more team mates. There is basic squad control, but there is pretty much no point in using it because after 10 seconds of battle your partner is either 3 buildings behind or dead on the floor anyway. This pretty much leaves the majority of the fighting up to you.

Key points:

1. Graphics grew on me after an hour or so and I'm still finding little details I missed the night before.
2. Check point saving! We all hate it, so I'll just leave it at that.
3. Non existent enemy AI. Heavily scripted enemies will do the same 4-5 things over and over and are easily killed. Nuff said.
4. Performance issues. Frame rate drops, non working V-sync even after patches.
5. Beautiful 60FPS cut scenes

All in all this really isn't my type of game. I'm more into the war FPS games with real people, real bullets and non liner level design. I may be asking for a little much, and I know this is an 07 game but I feel the same as most, this is a blatant port from the X-box that was left 3/4 done.

Final Thought:

Come on, at least make my video cards go more the 5c over idle!
I was told about Gears Of War a few months ago by some people here that heard I liked the Lost Planet games. I ended up buying a copy and sitting down to play it. First of all I had a little trouble with the in-game updates to Live and setting up my account, but after about 30 min and 2 reboots later I was ready to rock and roll.

My first impression of the game was that it was a little arcadey. The guns don't shoot bullets, more like these little pellets that look almost like oranges. The controls took a little getting used to as I had just come off the Rainbow Six Vegas games and was used to the duck and cover mechanics that work a little differently. The graphics were a little disappointing and the performance threw me for a loop. The game runs at a solid 60FPS with or without V-sync on and it seems that even if you enable V-sync there is no difference. I still get small amounts of tearing when moving quickly from left to right. The frame rates drop when the game does it's loading on the fly, but this is normally only for a split second and then your off and running again.

As the game progresses I started to feel like I was playing a first person comic book. The drawing style makes it seem as if you are piloting a charcoal drawing and I found that to be pretty cool. The cut scenes are done in either 60FPS real game video or 30FPS sort of choppy knock off video. The 30FPS cut scenes are few and far between, but I found that they looked fake enough to bring me out of the game experience.

The story is very shallow and hard to follow at times, but the linear level design helps to keep you on track but leaves little exploring to do. I'm almost done with the SP story and I still don't know what these "COG" tags are for or if I should even bother looking for them. Enemies seem to blatantly spawn one after another and at some points they will continue to spawn until you reach a cretin point in advancement or get to a flank point. The detail put into the enemy models is pretty amazing. They look really good, but you can tell that they are scripted and there is little to no AI involved in the game play.

Throughout the entire game you are playing along with one or more team mates. There is basic squad control, but there is pretty much no point in using it because after 10 seconds of battle your partner is either 3 buildings behind or dead on the floor anyway. This pretty much leaves the majority of the fighting up to you.

Key points:

1. Graphics grew on me after an hour or so and I'm still finding little details I missed the night before.

2. Check point saving! We all hate it, so I'll just leave it at that.

3. Non existent enemy AI. Heavily scripted enemies will do the same 4-5 things over and over and are easily killed. Nuff said.

4. Performance issues. Frame rate drops, non working V-sync even after patches.

5. Beautiful 60FPS cut scenes

All in all this really isn't my type of game. I'm more into the war FPS games with real people, real bullets and non liner level design. I may be asking for a little much, and I know this is an 07 game but I feel the same as most, this is a blatant port from the X-box that was left 3/4 done.

Final Thought:

Come on, at least make my video cards go more the 5c over idle!

Posted 07/14/2008 11:07 PM   
I liked this game, but there are alot of performance issues. I'm waiting for GOW2. It was nice that they didn't just give us a crappy port, but actually gave us better graphics and slick controls.
I liked this game, but there are alot of performance issues. I'm waiting for GOW2. It was nice that they didn't just give us a crappy port, but actually gave us better graphics and slick controls.

Case: Antec 1200

PSU: Corsair AX850 850W

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @4GHz 1.352v cooled w. Xigmatek Thor's Hammer

RAM: 2x4GB G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @1910MHz 9-10-9-28 2T 1.5v 2:10 FSB:DRAM

MB: ASUS Maximus III Formula Intel P55

HD: WD Velociraptor 160GB (Boot), WD Caviar Black 750GB (all my junk)

OD: ASUS Blu-Ray

GPU: 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Peripherals: Logitech G510 keyboard, Logitech G500 laser mouse, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Gateway FPD2485W 24'' monitor

Posted 07/14/2008 11:16 PM   
Thanks for the review. I keep debating about whether or not i'm going to buy this game or give Assassin's Creed a try. I've seen both good and bad reviews for AC, but not as many for GOW. I just wish they both had demos.
Thanks for the review. I keep debating about whether or not i'm going to buy this game or give Assassin's Creed a try. I've seen both good and bad reviews for AC, but not as many for GOW. I just wish they both had demos.

Posted 07/14/2008 11:24 PM   
[quote name='no circadian' post='195191' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:24 PM']Thanks for the review. I keep debating about whether or not i'm going to buy this game or give Assassin's Creed a try. I've seen both good and bad reviews for AC, but not as many for GOW. I just wish they both had demos.[/quote]

To be honest, I would skip Gears of War as the random stuttering and freezing just isn't worth it. If you get the chance to play it on Xbox 360, play it there. The makers of this game never bothered to patch it and it left a sour taste in my mouth (but looked good doing it). You're better off getting GOW2 when it comes out as it will be [i]much[/i] improved and you won't be missing out on the storyline. Nothing really happens in the first game other than you kill alot of things andMarcus Fenix has a past, but they never bother telling you what it is.

I'm debating whether or not to buy Assassin's Creed as well.
[quote name='no circadian' post='195191' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:24 PM']Thanks for the review. I keep debating about whether or not i'm going to buy this game or give Assassin's Creed a try. I've seen both good and bad reviews for AC, but not as many for GOW. I just wish they both had demos.

To be honest, I would skip Gears of War as the random stuttering and freezing just isn't worth it. If you get the chance to play it on Xbox 360, play it there. The makers of this game never bothered to patch it and it left a sour taste in my mouth (but looked good doing it). You're better off getting GOW2 when it comes out as it will be much improved and you won't be missing out on the storyline. Nothing really happens in the first game other than you kill alot of things andMarcus Fenix has a past, but they never bother telling you what it is.

I'm debating whether or not to buy Assassin's Creed as well.

RAM: 2x4GB G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @1910MHz 9-10-9-28 2T 1.5v 2:10 FSB:DRAM

Peripherals: Logitech G510 keyboard, Logitech G500 laser mouse, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Gateway FPD2485W 24'' monitor

Posted 07/14/2008 11:30 PM   
If I were you I would go with Assassins Creed. That game had a little bit worse of a story then GOW but the cinematic and in game graphics were outstanding.

@ Chambs - Is GOW2 going to be PC exclusive?
If I were you I would go with Assassins Creed. That game had a little bit worse of a story then GOW but the cinematic and in game graphics were outstanding.

Posted 07/14/2008 11:32 PM   
[quote name='420Ryme' post='195196' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:32 PM']If I were you I would go with Assassins Creed. That game had a little bit worse of a story then GOW but the cinematic and in game graphics were outstanding.

@ Chambs - Is GOW2 going to be PC exclusive?[/quote]

Hell, no. It's going to hit the Xbox 360in a couple months, and then there will be a PC version down the road. Making GOW a PC exclusive is like making Crysis 2 an Xbox 360 exclusive.
[quote name='420Ryme' post='195196' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:32 PM']If I were you I would go with Assassins Creed. That game had a little bit worse of a story then GOW but the cinematic and in game graphics were outstanding.

Hell, no. It's going to hit the Xbox 360in a couple months, and then there will be a PC version down the road. Making GOW a PC exclusive is like making Crysis 2 an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Posted 07/15/2008 12:13 AM   
It's weird that V-sync isn't working for you, Ryme. Try going into the "WarEngineUserSettings" config file and forcing it there (by changing USEVSYNC=False to USEVSYNC=True), if you haven't already.

It can be found at C:\Users\[*your username*]\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Config
It's weird that V-sync isn't working for you, Ryme. Try going into the "WarEngineUserSettings" config file and forcing it there (by changing USEVSYNC=False to USEVSYNC=True), if you haven't already.

It can be found at C:\Users\[*your username*]\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Config

Posted 07/15/2008 12:14 AM   
It's sad to see how the console companies are trying to get us to leave pc gaming by making crappy ports to the pc of what should have been awesome games. Instead of spending thousands of dollars designing the next GFX card, Nvidia, how about making a few GOOD pc-only games that use the current generation of gfx. That will be much better advertising for pc gaming than coming out with a new card each month.
It's sad to see how the console companies are trying to get us to leave pc gaming by making crappy ports to the pc of what should have been awesome games. Instead of spending thousands of dollars designing the next GFX card, Nvidia, how about making a few GOOD pc-only games that use the current generation of gfx. That will be much better advertising for pc gaming than coming out with a new card each month.

92% of teens have moved on to rap. IF you are one of those 8% who still listen to cool music copy and paste this

Pirating is the reason PC gaming is on the decline. If you are a person who gets all their software legitimately, copy and paste this.

Main Rig:

Mobo: EVGA x58 SLI LE

CPU: Core i7 930 stock (for now)

GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 260 core 216 SC

RAM: 6 Gigs Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz

HDD: WD 320 GB

PSU: Antec 1200

Case: HAF 932

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 in push-pull fan config

Monitor: Acer X213H

Posted 07/15/2008 12:33 AM   
[quote name='Ghost of Perdition' post='195219' date='Jul 14 2008, 08:14 PM']It's weird that V-sync isn't working for you, Ryme. Try going into the "WarEngineUserSettings" config file and forcing it there (by changing USEVSYNC=False to USEVSYNC=True), if you haven't already.

It can be found at C:\Users\[*your username*]\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Config[/quote]

I will try this when I get home. Yeah, I thought it was strange also! As soon as I flipped V-sync on it went up to 62fps... I was like wow thats odd.

I normally don't use V-sync anymore because my HD-TV is 120hz so it looks amazing even at 200-300fps unlike my 22inch LCD's that look strange with anything over there 60hz refresh rate.
[quote name='Ghost of Perdition' post='195219' date='Jul 14 2008, 08:14 PM']It's weird that V-sync isn't working for you, Ryme. Try going into the "WarEngineUserSettings" config file and forcing it there (by changing USEVSYNC=False to USEVSYNC=True), if you haven't already.

I will try this when I get home. Yeah, I thought it was strange also! As soon as I flipped V-sync on it went up to 62fps... I was like wow thats odd.

I normally don't use V-sync anymore because my HD-TV is 120hz so it looks amazing even at 200-300fps unlike my 22inch LCD's that look strange with anything over there 60hz refresh rate.

Posted 07/15/2008 12:48 AM   
I know GOW2 is coming out on PC and Xbox 360, and that the 360 version will probably be out first, but is the pc version actually being made for pc? or will it be using the 360 basis, similar to a ported game?
I've noticed how ported games still have comsole controls and movements and are often sluggish, which really puts the game down imo! So will GOW2 have pc controls and responsiveness do you reckon?
I know GOW2 is coming out on PC and Xbox 360, and that the 360 version will probably be out first, but is the pc version actually being made for pc? or will it be using the 360 basis, similar to a ported game?

I've noticed how ported games still have comsole controls and movements and are often sluggish, which really puts the game down imo! So will GOW2 have pc controls and responsiveness do you reckon?

Posted 07/15/2008 12:59 PM   
Its funny in gears u should have the feeling we are totally screwed. Arent mankind hopelessly overwhelmed by locust, but I didnt get that feeling. It felt more like commando unit on a hostile terratory or something. Not the end of world stuff what I was hopeing to get. Also the main character on and on talking "central please advice", fu*k the central lets see some whoop azz action. I got for god sake chainsaw gun I dont need no advice shiiit I wanna rock, I wanna see my comrates to die one by one, but no! Only one got killed and thats was like in the first mission, thats what I call a sizzy mission.
Its funny in gears u should have the feeling we are totally screwed. Arent mankind hopelessly overwhelmed by locust, but I didnt get that feeling. It felt more like commando unit on a hostile terratory or something. Not the end of world stuff what I was hopeing to get. Also the main character on and on talking "central please advice", fu*k the central lets see some whoop azz action. I got for god sake chainsaw gun I dont need no advice shiiit I wanna rock, I wanna see my comrates to die one by one, but no! Only one got killed and thats was like in the first mission, thats what I call a sizzy mission.

Posted 07/15/2008 01:46 PM   
Well it took until 5:30am but I beat it last night. I do have to admit that the train was pretty fun, but the last boss was a little frustrating until I figured out how to kill the b@stard. I will be giving the MP a shot here the next few nights and I'll update this with my thoughts, but fair warning I'm not a MP type of guy.
Well it took until 5:30am but I beat it last night. I do have to admit that the train was pretty fun, but the last boss was a little frustrating until I figured out how to kill the b@stard. I will be giving the MP a shot here the next few nights and I'll update this with my thoughts, but fair warning I'm not a MP type of guy.

Posted 07/15/2008 06:38 PM   
Ok, so yeah I can see why you guys say that the MP is addictive! I've been playing the MP for the last few nights, but I have found an issue.

When joining a "Live list" game the game freezes on the loading screen and I have to alt-tab out of the game. Last night I was only able to play for about 10 min before I got so pissed that I gave up. This morning before work I was able to get into a game and it played fine. Does anyone else have this issue? As far as I know the game is updated (by live) to the latest version.
Ok, so yeah I can see why you guys say that the MP is addictive! I've been playing the MP for the last few nights, but I have found an issue.

When joining a "Live list" game the game freezes on the loading screen and I have to alt-tab out of the game. Last night I was only able to play for about 10 min before I got so pissed that I gave up. This morning before work I was able to get into a game and it played fine. Does anyone else have this issue? As far as I know the game is updated (by live) to the latest version.

Posted 07/16/2008 08:12 PM   
Only thing I really like about this game is that me and my 4 year old can coop together. He really likes it and is just about done with it. I figured the game was intended for someone like him or just a bit older cause to me it looks and feels like a cartoon.
Only thing I really like about this game is that me and my 4 year old can coop together. He really likes it and is just about done with it. I figured the game was intended for someone like him or just a bit older cause to me it looks and feels like a cartoon.

Posted 08/12/2008 07:00 PM   
You let a 4 year old play that game? Shouldn't he be playing with Thomas The Tank Engine? Wow.
You let a 4 year old play that game? Shouldn't he be playing with Thomas The Tank Engine? Wow.

Posted 08/12/2008 08:40 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top