Need help with 9800GTX SLI set up
Hello good people,

I recently switched from two EVGA 8800 GT superclocked in SLI and moved to two EVGA 9800 GTX using my step up program. I have seen a slight increase in system performance while using a single gpu in this set up but find that the SLI mode for the two 9800 GTX show significantly lower scores in 3DMark 06.

I've read a little about the higher end card and the potential of bottlenecking with my CPU and so I had considered this when running benchmarks before I upgraded. In knowing so, I overclocked my Intel Wolfdate e8400 to 4.05GHz (1780FSB, 445x9) while keeping my previous 8800GT in SLI and the 9800 GTX in SLI using stock settings.

2x EVGA 8800 GT superclocked SLI = 18317 Score in 3DMark 06

2x EVGA 9800 GTX SLI = 14306 Score in 3DMark 06\

I posted pictures of my results:

[color="#8B0000"]8800GT Superclocked in SLI[/color]
[img]http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3840/e840040ghz8800gtsuperclmi6.jpg[/img]

[color="#8B0000"]9800 GTX in SLI[/color]
[img]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/994/e840040ghz9800gtxslith0.jpg[/img]

My system specs are in my siggy and I have a decent set up. I could use some helpful tips on how to tweak the rest of my rig if I'm doing something wrong here.

Your helps appreciated!
Hello good people,

I recently switched from two EVGA 8800 GT superclocked in SLI and moved to two EVGA 9800 GTX using my step up program. I have seen a slight increase in system performance while using a single gpu in this set up but find that the SLI mode for the two 9800 GTX show significantly lower scores in 3DMark 06.

I've read a little about the higher end card and the potential of bottlenecking with my CPU and so I had considered this when running benchmarks before I upgraded. In knowing so, I overclocked my Intel Wolfdate e8400 to 4.05GHz (1780FSB, 445x9) while keeping my previous 8800GT in SLI and the 9800 GTX in SLI using stock settings.

2x EVGA 8800 GT superclocked SLI = 18317 Score in 3DMark 06

2x EVGA 9800 GTX SLI = 14306 Score in 3DMark 06\

I posted pictures of my results:

8800GT Superclocked in SLI

9800 GTX in SLI

My system specs are in my siggy and I have a decent set up. I could use some helpful tips on how to tweak the rest of my rig if I'm doing something wrong here.

Your helps appreciated!

Posted 07/10/2008 05:29 AM   
8800gt 512 is a really nice card. you are the 3rd person to (upgrade) from 2x 8800gt 512 in sli to 2x 9800gtx 512 in sli and was disapointed.
8800gt 512 is a really nice card. you are the 3rd person to (upgrade) from 2x 8800gt 512 in sli to 2x 9800gtx 512 in sli and was disapointed.

Posted 07/10/2008 05:43 AM   
What a sham! I feel like Nvidia just ripped me off this time.

Do you know/ heard if anyone has been able to tweak their 9800 GTX set up? Most online charts for benchmarking suggest that this card performs better than it does in Real Life tests.

What a paper tiger...

I'd like to go back to my previous cards but I've invested a few bucks to get these under the setup program w/ EVGA so I would basically have paid more money just go back to my old set up.
What a sham! I feel like Nvidia just ripped me off this time.

Do you know/ heard if anyone has been able to tweak their 9800 GTX set up? Most online charts for benchmarking suggest that this card performs better than it does in Real Life tests.

What a paper tiger...

I'd like to go back to my previous cards but I've invested a few bucks to get these under the setup program w/ EVGA so I would basically have paid more money just go back to my old set up.

Posted 07/10/2008 05:49 AM   
Make sure you have the same type of rendering Mode (Split screen/AF1/AF2) for each system to show accurate scores. Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for your system (not just for your GPU's) I personally like the BETA drivers over the WHQL, but just get the latest driver.

Also, if you have significant clock differences on the GPU's (from the 8800GT's to the 9800GTX's) then that could also be one of the problems.

Just curious... What are you getting as far as real-world performance? (Game wise)
Make sure you have the same type of rendering Mode (Split screen/AF1/AF2) for each system to show accurate scores. Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for your system (not just for your GPU's) I personally like the BETA drivers over the WHQL, but just get the latest driver.

Also, if you have significant clock differences on the GPU's (from the 8800GT's to the 9800GTX's) then that could also be one of the problems.

Just curious... What are you getting as far as real-world performance? (Game wise)

Posted 07/10/2008 06:34 AM   
While in SLI mode, I selected single display performance with AFR2 during both benchmarks.

*Nvidia control panel

single display performance
AFR2
Force Vert sync ON (I choose smooth graphics over higher FPS gains with ripping/tearing)

The cpu overclock was actually 1779FSB while under the 8800GT score and the overclock was at 1780FSB during the 9800GTX benchmark.

The stock settings for the 8800 GT superclock are slightly lower than the 9800 GTX stock and I would not anticipate any significant drop in benchmarks as I experienced rather.

My real life fps with a single 9800GTX in COD4:

Settings:

Maxed settings
Resolution 1680x1050
2xAA

The single GPU set up will show a constant 60FPS +/- but may be limited to such since my 22" Syncmaster has a 60Khz refresh rate. Any increase in FPS by raising the limits would not do much from what I've read. Bare in mind that this is in single GPU mode.

If I go into SLI mode and run COD4, the FPS will drop by -5 to 10 FPS at times and I experience stuttering/ jittery frames. From what I've read, COD4 does not do well with SLI for some reason. **I've made sure to try AFR1/AFR2 to see any loss/ gain in performance but the results are still the same. SLI creates jittering/ stuttering of frames while in use.

Crysis:

Settings:

Maxed settings
Resolution 1680x1050
2xAA

When using the 8800 GT superclock in SLI, it ran around 30FPS, constant, with a gain and loss depending on the scene you are in or the additional characters that appear of course.

While using the 9800 GTX SLi mode, I do see alot of gain in performance and I do NOT experience any stuttering or jitters when in SLI mode for Crysis. The FPS gain is significant and I can run HIGH settings without any loss in performance. Only if my screen is filled with 10 guys will I show a little frame loss but the overall results are OK.

I uninstalled UT3 (trainwreck, though I used to be a UT fanboy) but I recall that my 8800 GT SLI set up ran the max settings and resolution of 1680x1050 flawlessly. It was smooth and the graphics were intense. I was impressed by the results which gained my respect for SLI and prompted me to upgrade to the 9800 GTX.

I have tried many variables in troubleshooting this problem but I can't seem to find the answer myself. I need some help!

What I've tried:

- Different BIOS versions for my mobo.
- Different drivers for my gpu, current, beta, older versions.
- Tested with different patches for games and reinstalled to games to doublecheck.
- Tested and confirmed that other hardware drivers are up to date.
- Removed my SLI bridge and re-seated it many times.
- Exchanged GPU's in each PCI slot.
- Checked RAM for issues; removed 1 set of dual channel, swapped slots, tested to confirm each stick is functional.

Any thoughts?
-
While in SLI mode, I selected single display performance with AFR2 during both benchmarks.

*Nvidia control panel

single display performance

AFR2

Force Vert sync ON (I choose smooth graphics over higher FPS gains with ripping/tearing)

The cpu overclock was actually 1779FSB while under the 8800GT score and the overclock was at 1780FSB during the 9800GTX benchmark.

The stock settings for the 8800 GT superclock are slightly lower than the 9800 GTX stock and I would not anticipate any significant drop in benchmarks as I experienced rather.

My real life fps with a single 9800GTX in COD4:

Settings:

Maxed settings

Resolution 1680x1050

2xAA

The single GPU set up will show a constant 60FPS +/- but may be limited to such since my 22" Syncmaster has a 60Khz refresh rate. Any increase in FPS by raising the limits would not do much from what I've read. Bare in mind that this is in single GPU mode.

If I go into SLI mode and run COD4, the FPS will drop by -5 to 10 FPS at times and I experience stuttering/ jittery frames. From what I've read, COD4 does not do well with SLI for some reason. **I've made sure to try AFR1/AFR2 to see any loss/ gain in performance but the results are still the same. SLI creates jittering/ stuttering of frames while in use.

Crysis:

Settings:

Maxed settings

Resolution 1680x1050

2xAA

When using the 8800 GT superclock in SLI, it ran around 30FPS, constant, with a gain and loss depending on the scene you are in or the additional characters that appear of course.

While using the 9800 GTX SLi mode, I do see alot of gain in performance and I do NOT experience any stuttering or jitters when in SLI mode for Crysis. The FPS gain is significant and I can run HIGH settings without any loss in performance. Only if my screen is filled with 10 guys will I show a little frame loss but the overall results are OK.

I uninstalled UT3 (trainwreck, though I used to be a UT fanboy) but I recall that my 8800 GT SLI set up ran the max settings and resolution of 1680x1050 flawlessly. It was smooth and the graphics were intense. I was impressed by the results which gained my respect for SLI and prompted me to upgrade to the 9800 GTX.

I have tried many variables in troubleshooting this problem but I can't seem to find the answer myself. I need some help!

What I've tried:

- Different BIOS versions for my mobo.

- Different drivers for my gpu, current, beta, older versions.

- Tested with different patches for games and reinstalled to games to doublecheck.

- Tested and confirmed that other hardware drivers are up to date.

- Removed my SLI bridge and re-seated it many times.

- Exchanged GPU's in each PCI slot.

- Checked RAM for issues; removed 1 set of dual channel, swapped slots, tested to confirm each stick is functional.

Any thoughts?

-

Posted 07/10/2008 07:10 AM   
You can try swapping cards (flip them) And also flip the bridge... For some odd reason, it sometimes ends up fixing things.

You can also try a vBIOS flash.

Really, there shouldn't be a reason why it would be like so. Everything seems right, but SLi is working for sure since it does take an effect in Crysis. It really depends on what game your running too.

With 3dmark06, it's either a hit or miss with Sli (meaning it does very well, or it craps on people.) Most of the time it works well with SLi... So hopefully it's just a case 3dmark isn't working so hot with your system. Of course, it's the real-world performance that matters the most.
You can try swapping cards (flip them) And also flip the bridge... For some odd reason, it sometimes ends up fixing things.

Really, there shouldn't be a reason why it would be like so. Everything seems right, but SLi is working for sure since it does take an effect in Crysis. It really depends on what game your running too.

With 3dmark06, it's either a hit or miss with Sli (meaning it does very well, or it craps on people.) Most of the time it works well with SLi... So hopefully it's just a case 3dmark isn't working so hot with your system. Of course, it's the real-world performance that matters the most.

Posted 07/10/2008 07:17 AM   
[quote name='JustinSLI' post='193168' date='Jul 10 2008, 12:17 AM']You can try swapping cards (flip them) And also flip the bridge... For some odd reason, it sometimes ends up fixing things.

With 3dmark06, it's either a hit or miss with Sli (meaning it does very well, or it craps on people.) Most of the time it works well with SLi... So hopefully it's just a case 3dmark isn't working so hot with your system. Of course, it's the real-world performance that matters the most.[/quote]
irealy think it is a CPU bottleneck...
people talk about how a 9800 GX2 bottlenecks on there nonclocked Q6600....
dig up the post later
[quote name='JustinSLI' post='193168' date='Jul 10 2008, 12:17 AM']You can try swapping cards (flip them) And also flip the bridge... For some odd reason, it sometimes ends up fixing things.

irealy think it is a CPU bottleneck...

dig up the post later

Posted 07/11/2008 02:43 PM   
[quote name='beingmad' post='193745' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:43 AM']irealy think it is a CPU bottleneck...
dig up the post later[/quote]

So, I attempted to install Vista onto my 2nd RaptorX and then I had some sort of boot error for my XP on my 1st RaptorX. Since I store all my media files on my 3th HDD, I just decided to try a RAID 0 for a Vista x64 set up.

After many successful installs but bad setup configs in Vista and was prompting a Page not found in Page Location error. I finally found that my CPU being overclocked to 4.0GHz was too much for Vista and I shifted back to 1600FSB for a cool 3.6GHz OC.

I reinstalled Vista Home Premium x64 flawlessly after my cpu was oc'd to 3.6GHz with my ram at 800 5-5-5-18. It installed perfectly with RAID 0 and 4GM of RAM with the new Vista x64 w/sp1 on disc.

Now, I'm not sure but it may be a driver problem with the XP SLI since it was very choppy and my XP was very barebone. I don't see it as a bottleneck problem so I'm not sure if the 9 series are just intended to work better on Vista than XP.

***FYI I can now switch from SLI to multiple GPU (dual monitor) without rebooting while in Vista x64.***XP used to reboot whenever I switched for SLI to non-SLI setup. Maybe I just rediscovered the wheel here but I'm liking the change since SLI works great now and I can actually install an OS with RAID 0! =]
[quote name='beingmad' post='193745' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:43 AM']irealy think it is a CPU bottleneck...

dig up the post later

So, I attempted to install Vista onto my 2nd RaptorX and then I had some sort of boot error for my XP on my 1st RaptorX. Since I store all my media files on my 3th HDD, I just decided to try a RAID 0 for a Vista x64 set up.

After many successful installs but bad setup configs in Vista and was prompting a Page not found in Page Location error. I finally found that my CPU being overclocked to 4.0GHz was too much for Vista and I shifted back to 1600FSB for a cool 3.6GHz OC.

I reinstalled Vista Home Premium x64 flawlessly after my cpu was oc'd to 3.6GHz with my ram at 800 5-5-5-18. It installed perfectly with RAID 0 and 4GM of RAM with the new Vista x64 w/sp1 on disc.

Now, I'm not sure but it may be a driver problem with the XP SLI since it was very choppy and my XP was very barebone. I don't see it as a bottleneck problem so I'm not sure if the 9 series are just intended to work better on Vista than XP.

***FYI I can now switch from SLI to multiple GPU (dual monitor) without rebooting while in Vista x64.***XP used to reboot whenever I switched for SLI to non-SLI setup. Maybe I just rediscovered the wheel here but I'm liking the change since SLI works great now and I can actually install an OS with RAID 0! =]

Posted 07/16/2008 05:02 AM   
Scroll To Top