BFG 8800 GTX SLI problems
  1 / 2    
Ok so i'll give my pc specs and maybe someone has some decent ideas on how to fix my problem :)

ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.4GHz
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Antec Quattro 850W PSU
BFG 8800 GTX x2
150GB Raptor hdd for main OS and 2 sata drives in JBOD
Windows Vista ultimate 64bit

Ok so heres the problems, When I enable SLI it seems to work but sometimes my screen will freeze and it starts flashing very quick..... and it just keeps doing that until i power it off /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
other problems I have is when playing counter strike source with ONE card I get about 100FPS-140FPS usually..... When I have SLI enabled I get 40FPS MAX with a min of about 20FPS.
anyone have any ideas? drivers?.... At this point ive uninstalled and reinstalled them a few times with the latest drivers and still no good, but with SLI enabled 3dmark06 runs better so I think the low FPS is a source engine problem maybe?

This is with SLI disabled
[url="http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slioffeu6.jpg"][img]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6784/slioffeu6.th.jpg[/img][/url]

This is with SLI enabled
[url="http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sliondb6.jpg"][img]http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6828/sliondb6.th.jpg[/img][/url]

**notice Fraps is running in the corner to show the fps

Ok these are 3dmark06 images
SLI disabled
[url="http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3dscoreslioffqb3.png"][img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9965/3dscoreslioffqb3.th.png[/img][/url]

SLI enabled
[url="http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3dscoreslionsn9.png"][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6775/3dscoreslionsn9.th.png[/img][/url]

**There not very high scores and I did get higher when I OC'd my cpu to 3.4GHz but i think it was only like 1000 points higer /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
Ok so i'll give my pc specs and maybe someone has some decent ideas on how to fix my problem :)

ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.4GHz

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Antec Quattro 850W PSU

BFG 8800 GTX x2

150GB Raptor hdd for main OS and 2 sata drives in JBOD

Windows Vista ultimate 64bit

Ok so heres the problems, When I enable SLI it seems to work but sometimes my screen will freeze and it starts flashing very quick..... and it just keeps doing that until i power it off /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

other problems I have is when playing counter strike source with ONE card I get about 100FPS-140FPS usually..... When I have SLI enabled I get 40FPS MAX with a min of about 20FPS.

anyone have any ideas? drivers?.... At this point ive uninstalled and reinstalled them a few times with the latest drivers and still no good, but with SLI enabled 3dmark06 runs better so I think the low FPS is a source engine problem maybe?

This is with SLI disabled

This is with SLI enabled

**notice Fraps is running in the corner to show the fps

Ok these are 3dmark06 images

SLI disabled

SLI enabled

**There not very high scores and I did get higher when I OC'd my cpu to 3.4GHz but i think it was only like 1000 points higer /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 06/03/2008 05:17 PM   
how did you install the bios update. Or did you.
how did you install the bios update. Or did you.

Posted 06/03/2008 06:01 PM   
i used the asus windows tool for the bios update, did that the day i installed the mobo so 2 months ago i guess, ill check if theres any newer ones out

**Edit, I have bios version 1103 which seems to be the latest
i used the asus windows tool for the bios update, did that the day i installed the mobo so 2 months ago i guess, ill check if theres any newer ones out

**Edit, I have bios version 1103 which seems to be the latest

Posted 06/03/2008 06:19 PM   
try doing it with the floppy!

load everything in bios as default. (Make sure your ram is in the right dimm slots btw), then reinstall OS, then update bios via floppy. Then with your fresh system, go get new drivers for mobo.
THEN go see if there are bios updates for your GPU's. If so, you'll need to flash each card. After that, install new drivers.
try doing it with the floppy!

load everything in bios as default. (Make sure your ram is in the right dimm slots btw), then reinstall OS, then update bios via floppy. Then with your fresh system, go get new drivers for mobo.

THEN go see if there are bios updates for your GPU's. If so, you'll need to flash each card. After that, install new drivers.

Posted 06/03/2008 08:30 PM   
Try running the CPU at stock settings,verses OCing. Some games have probs with OCing,and will freeze up,exactly as you described.
Try running the CPU at stock settings,verses OCing. Some games have probs with OCing,and will freeze up,exactly as you described.

Posted 06/03/2008 08:30 PM   
I suggest never use the[b] ASUS windows Bios utility [/b]to update the BIOS in the future..........CHEERS
I suggest never use the ASUS windows Bios utility to update the BIOS in the future..........CHEERS

Posted 06/03/2008 08:36 PM   
That screen flicker is the drivers crashing. This is most likely caused by an unstable OC on either the cards or the CPU. Are those cards factory OC'd or did you push them to 600mhz with some OC tool? Which drivers are you running? AMD...yuck...

The source engine doesn't like 3-way SLI from what I've read, but with my GTX's in Lost Coast I had a solid 200FPS frame rate.
That screen flicker is the drivers crashing. This is most likely caused by an unstable OC on either the cards or the CPU. Are those cards factory OC'd or did you push them to 600mhz with some OC tool? Which drivers are you running? AMD...yuck...

The source engine doesn't like 3-way SLI from what I've read, but with my GTX's in Lost Coast I had a solid 200FPS frame rate.

Posted 06/03/2008 08:55 PM   
I still have the problems with no OC on anything, CPU is stock atm at 3.2GHz and the cards are at the stock speeds when I bought them /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> also I don't want to reinstall my OS as I hate doing that with a passion so thats a last resort and actually I will probably get rid of the extra card if i cant fix it without reinstalling the os
I still have the problems with no OC on anything, CPU is stock atm at 3.2GHz and the cards are at the stock speeds when I bought them /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> also I don't want to reinstall my OS as I hate doing that with a passion so thats a last resort and actually I will probably get rid of the extra card if i cant fix it without reinstalling the os

Posted 06/04/2008 04:04 AM   
oh and im about to try the bios update on the cards because i did notice they are different, Card 1: 60.80.0E.00.05, Card 2: 60.80.0E.00.04

**Edit: hmm this bios thing seems a little tricky since i dont think nvflash works on 64bit also I dont know where to find the new bios /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> so this is on hold now
oh and im about to try the bios update on the cards because i did notice they are different, Card 1: 60.80.0E.00.05, Card 2: 60.80.0E.00.04

**Edit: hmm this bios thing seems a little tricky since i dont think nvflash works on 64bit also I dont know where to find the new bios /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> so this is on hold now

Posted 06/04/2008 04:05 AM   
I had a similar issue with SLI working for certain games, although running Half-Life 2 mods or games based on the source engine I've had problems with. I've manually had to create profiles for select source games using nHancer, simply because the nVidia control panel didn't have support for those games. Try that, with forced 4xAA and 16xAF and I'd imagine you'll be alright.
I had a similar issue with SLI working for certain games, although running Half-Life 2 mods or games based on the source engine I've had problems with. I've manually had to create profiles for select source games using nHancer, simply because the nVidia control panel didn't have support for those games. Try that, with forced 4xAA and 16xAF and I'd imagine you'll be alright.

When you get up in the morning, ask yourself, "If this was my last day on earth, is what I'm about to do today how I would want spend it?" If the answer is "no" for too many days in a row, you know something has got to change.

Posted 06/04/2008 07:30 PM   
Do you think you could give me the profiles for CS:S? i dont see any defaults for that also nhancer doesnt even list steam or any games i have from steam in it's list /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
Do you think you could give me the profiles for CS:S? i dont see any defaults for that also nhancer doesnt even list steam or any games i have from steam in it's list /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 06/05/2008 05:56 AM   
Its your drivers .i used to have SLI 2x GTX 8800.and a certain driver did that until i changed drivers.
trust me.
ive got rid of the gtx's and got a gx2.big mistake.i should have struck with the gtx's
Its your drivers .i used to have SLI 2x GTX 8800.and a certain driver did that until i changed drivers.

trust me.

ive got rid of the gtx's and got a gx2.big mistake.i should have struck with the gtx's

Posted 06/06/2008 12:14 AM   
[quote name='markusoo77' post='178469' date='Jun 6 2008, 12:14 AM']Its your drivers .i used to have SLI 2x GTX 8800.and a certain driver did that until i changed drivers.
trust me.
ive got rid of the gtx's and got a gx2.big mistake.i should have struck with the gtx's[/quote]

Well i'm using the latest drivers.... do you think I should use some older ones? or just wait for new ones to be released
[quote name='markusoo77' post='178469' date='Jun 6 2008, 12:14 AM']Its your drivers .i used to have SLI 2x GTX 8800.and a certain driver did that until i changed drivers.

trust me.

Well i'm using the latest drivers.... do you think I should use some older ones? or just wait for new ones to be released

Posted 06/06/2008 04:53 PM   
im using drivers 175.63.ive never had a problem with these drivers.
make sure you really delete ya old drivers.i had to go to a friends last nite and sort his pc out as he was experiencing the same as you and now he can play all nite long baby
im using drivers 175.63.ive never had a problem with these drivers.

make sure you really delete ya old drivers.i had to go to a friends last nite and sort his pc out as he was experiencing the same as you and now he can play all nite long baby

Posted 06/07/2008 07:26 PM   
i had a very similar system to you and my 3d mark score was 13265.asus M2n32 sli ,amd 6400 3.2Mhz Be ,4 Gb mem,2 X 8800GTX
i had a very similar system to you and my 3d mark score was 13265.asus M2n32 sli ,amd 6400 3.2Mhz Be ,4 Gb mem,2 X 8800GTX

Posted 06/07/2008 07:31 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top