DDR2 work with DDR3 slot
  1 / 3    
Could i use DDR2 memory in a DDR3 slot on a new motherboard?
Could i use DDR2 memory in a DDR3 slot on a new motherboard?

Posted 03/04/2008 07:11 PM   
No.
No.

Posted 03/04/2008 07:14 PM   
If you modify your DDR2 RAM sticks to be DDR3 slot-compatible, then yes.

When you get up in the morning, ask yourself, "If this was my last day on earth, is what I'm about to do today how I would want spend it?" If the answer is "no" for too many days in a row, you know something has got to change.

Posted 03/05/2008 08:17 PM   
And how exactly would one 'rig' ddr2 to work in ddr3 slot?
And how exactly would one 'rig' ddr2 to work in ddr3 slot?

Posted 03/05/2008 09:03 PM   
[quote name='Nymosis' post='133015' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:17 PM']
[/quote]

This is the funniest thing I heard all day. Where did you get that idea from?
[quote name='Nymosis' post='133015' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:17 PM']

My name is Legion, for we are many

Sig: BluSOUL | HAFX | Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Pro | Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair H80 | G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Bios ACX | Seagate 500GB SATA 3 & Seagate 2TB SATA 2 | Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0116 | Philips 273E LH 27" | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 |

Posted 03/05/2008 09:10 PM   
[quote name='F.E.A.R.' post='133053' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:10 PM']
[/quote]

Me agrees.
[quote name='F.E.A.R.' post='133053' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:10 PM']

Me agrees.

Posted 03/05/2008 09:14 PM   
From what I have observed the reason that DDR2 cannot be used in DDR3 slots is that although they are both 240 pin, the size and position of the pins differ.
From what I have observed the reason that DDR2 cannot be used in DDR3 slots is that although they are both 240 pin, the size and position of the pins differ.

Posted 03/05/2008 09:21 PM   
[quote name='AntiHeroUK' post='133065' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:21 PM']
[/quote]

Thus the reason they couldn't work in the same slot ;)

Even if you could theoretically modify the ram you would need to theoretically put a pin in the "key" slot and make a new "key" slot on the Ram which would delete a current pin. This attempt would be a bad idea as you would totally ruin your ram.
[quote name='AntiHeroUK' post='133065' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:21 PM']

Even if you could theoretically modify the ram you would need to theoretically put a pin in the "key" slot and make a new "key" slot on the Ram which would delete a current pin. This attempt would be a bad idea as you would totally ruin your ram.

Posted 03/05/2008 09:35 PM   
[quote name='Nymosis' post='133015' date='Mar 5 2008, 03:17 PM']
[/quote]
This is the second time you posted something where you act like you know electronics, but you don't know crap. Best you stop posting on things you have no idea about. There is no tech mod. The chips used are completely different. So just stop there.
[quote name='Nymosis' post='133015' date='Mar 5 2008, 03:17 PM']

This is the second time you posted something where you act like you know electronics, but you don't know crap. Best you stop posting on things you have no idea about. There is no tech mod. The chips used are completely different. So just stop there.

Posted 03/05/2008 09:36 PM   
[quote name='Bowtie_Z28' post='133074' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:35 PM']

[/quote]

I thought it was obvious that my statement clarified that they couldn't work in the same slot considering they wouldn't fit :happy:

Also the chipset wouldn't recognise the RAM unless it was an x38 chipset which has support for both DDR2/3 RAM...
[quote name='Bowtie_Z28' post='133074' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:35 PM']

I thought it was obvious that my statement clarified that they couldn't work in the same slot considering they wouldn't fit :happy:

Also the chipset wouldn't recognise the RAM unless it was an x38 chipset which has support for both DDR2/3 RAM...

Posted 03/05/2008 09:39 PM   
[quote name='AntiHeroUK' post='133079' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:39 PM']

[/quote]

I just figured I would explain the physical parameters to someone that didn't understand ;-) Didn't mean to make it sound like I was directing it toward you :biggrin:
[quote name='AntiHeroUK' post='133079' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:39 PM']

I just figured I would explain the physical parameters to someone that didn't understand ;-) Didn't mean to make it sound like I was directing it toward you :biggrin:

Posted 03/05/2008 09:42 PM   
NO! NO! NO! NO!

DDR2, DDR3, and FB-DIMMS are actually all the exact same 240 pin layout, however the voltage is different, SPD is different, and use completely different ways of communication. You can NOT interchange these modules with eachother...

If the board is DDR2 you must use DDR2!
If the board is DDR3 you must use DDR3!

There is no way around this unless you purchase one of the few hybrid boards out there. The slots are still NOT interchangable, however they have one bank of memory for DDR2, and another bank of slots somewhere else on the board for DDR3...
NO! NO! NO! NO!

DDR2, DDR3, and FB-DIMMS are actually all the exact same 240 pin layout, however the voltage is different, SPD is different, and use completely different ways of communication. You can NOT interchange these modules with eachother...

There is no way around this unless you purchase one of the few hybrid boards out there. The slots are still NOT interchangable, however they have one bank of memory for DDR2, and another bank of slots somewhere else on the board for DDR3...

Posted 03/05/2008 10:07 PM   
I'm pretty sure it was a joke fella's, no need to hate.

If it wasn't, then I have to say that was pretty damn retarded.
I'm pretty sure it was a joke fella's, no need to hate.

If it wasn't, then I have to say that was pretty damn retarded.

Posted 03/05/2008 10:14 PM   
[quote name='Tofu Guy' post='133076' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:36 PM']
[/quote]

Best you not start attacking other members when I've tried not to offend you, son. I don't know if it's a fight you're starting or a fight you're trying to start, but if I were you I'd keep my mouth shut, tofu boy. :smile:

[quote name='02gsxr600' post='133101' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:07 PM']
NO! NO! NO! NO!

[/quote]

Nope, you're excatly mistaken, is that what they teach you at ITT Tech? :rolf: DDR2 and DDR3 are fully backwards compatible just like PCI-E 1.1 and 2.0. Don't listen to these jokers, some people just don't know what they're talking about.
[quote name='Tofu Guy' post='133076' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:36 PM']

Best you not start attacking other members when I've tried not to offend you, son. I don't know if it's a fight you're starting or a fight you're trying to start, but if I were you I'd keep my mouth shut, tofu boy. :smile:

[quote name='02gsxr600' post='133101' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:07 PM']

NO! NO! NO! NO!

Nope, you're excatly mistaken, is that what they teach you at ITT Tech? :rolf: DDR2 and DDR3 are fully backwards compatible just like PCI-E 1.1 and 2.0. Don't listen to these jokers, some people just don't know what they're talking about.

When you get up in the morning, ask yourself, "If this was my last day on earth, is what I'm about to do today how I would want spend it?" If the answer is "no" for too many days in a row, you know something has got to change.

Posted 03/06/2008 12:48 AM   
I'm pretty sure that the keys are placed differently too. However, I might be slightly mistaken about that.
I'm pretty sure that the keys are placed differently too. However, I might be slightly mistaken about that.

Posted 03/06/2008 01:25 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top