Overclocking Q6600 on P5N-E SLI Need help with overclocking :)
  1 / 3    
It seems I have a slight problem with overclocking my budget rig. So far the most I have acheived OC wise before the whole thing goes unstable is 2.6 ghz @ 1156 FSB with multiplier on 9. RAM unlinked.

My current setup is:

Q6600@2,6 ghz G0 revision
4 GB ram @ 800 mhz
2x GF8800 GT
Vista 64 Home pemium

So far my attempts at overclocking have remained fruitless, as any attempt at passing 2.6 results in either BSOD or failing POST. Tried to higher FSB with lower multiplier, been playing with the vcore as well but the darn thing won't even load into OS. So I hoped anyone of you guys could help me sort out this problem, since I heard that the Q6600 should be a decent overclocker and I hoped atleast to get atleast 2.8 ghz.

Thanks in advance and pardon my poorly written english as I'm from South Korea.
It seems I have a slight problem with overclocking my budget rig. So far the most I have acheived OC wise before the whole thing goes unstable is 2.6 ghz @ 1156 FSB with multiplier on 9. RAM unlinked.

My current setup is:

4 GB ram @ 800 mhz

2x GF8800 GT

Vista 64 Home pemium

So far my attempts at overclocking have remained fruitless, as any attempt at passing 2.6 results in either BSOD or failing POST. Tried to higher FSB with lower multiplier, been playing with the vcore as well but the darn thing won't even load into OS. So I hoped anyone of you guys could help me sort out this problem, since I heard that the Q6600 should be a decent overclocker and I hoped atleast to get atleast 2.8 ghz.

Posted 01/31/2008 04:37 AM   
Keep the multiplier at 9x

Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

The temperatures need to be at least under 50C while idling in order to get it to overclock decently.

I would put the core voltage to 1.35, and the FSB to 1.4V.

The temperatures need to be at least under 50C while idling in order to get it to overclock decently.

Posted 01/31/2008 05:14 AM   
[quote name='F.E.A.R' post='112184' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:14 AM']

[/quote]

Okay. Though I can't find any options that alters the voltage on the FSB unless you're talking about the Northbridge voltage. And under that tab I only find 1.20, 1.39, 1.50 and 1.71.

I tried 1.35 and 1.39 but it still BSODs :(
[quote name='F.E.A.R' post='112184' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:14 AM']

Okay. Though I can't find any options that alters the voltage on the FSB unless you're talking about the Northbridge voltage. And under that tab I only find 1.20, 1.39, 1.50 and 1.71.

I tried 1.35 and 1.39 but it still BSODs :(

Posted 01/31/2008 05:49 AM   
Ah, I forgot yours is an ASUS board.

I don't know why, but ASUS decided to take out the FSB voltage, I guess.

DO NOT run the voltages that high on even the highest end air cooling. Anything over 1.6v is just asking for trouble! (Not trying to insult, but I would hate for you to kill your processor.)

Make sure your RAM is stuck at 800Mhz, and you have 5-5-5-15 timings. You need atleast 2.1 volts on it.

I think you have the processor and RAM linked, and the RAM won't overclock.

DO NOT run the voltages that high on even the highest end air cooling. Anything over 1.6v is just asking for trouble! (Not trying to insult, but I would hate for you to kill your processor.)

Make sure your RAM is stuck at 800Mhz, and you have 5-5-5-15 timings. You need atleast 2.1 volts on it.

Posted 01/31/2008 05:55 AM   
[quote name='F.E.A.R' post='112219' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:55 AM']

[/quote]

No luck, still get the the lame BSOD right before the welcome screen on Vista. And I set the timings right, upped the memory voltage to 2.1 and then 2.2 though they are 1.8 stock. It works flawless on 2.6 ghz but gets unstable even at 2.7 where it fails to load into OS. So it seems I'm in the dead water here :(
[quote name='F.E.A.R' post='112219' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:55 AM']

No luck, still get the the lame BSOD right before the welcome screen on Vista. And I set the timings right, upped the memory voltage to 2.1 and then 2.2 though they are 1.8 stock. It works flawless on 2.6 ghz but gets unstable even at 2.7 where it fails to load into OS. So it seems I'm in the dead water here :(

Posted 01/31/2008 08:26 AM   
[quote name='Oxymoron' post='112267' date='Jan 31 2008, 07:26 PM']
[/quote]
Hi, i have the same board, and its a crap to overclock...Now i will advise my settings, but it may not work for you:

Unlink ram...
Set FSB: 1333 which is 3.0G
Set NB @ 1.393volts
Set Vcore @ 1.38volts to 1.40volts trial and error
Dont use the standard CPU cooler

Now The ram question: My Patriot runs at 4-4-4-12(2T) @ 2.2ish it hasnt affected my OC, running slightly below that.

But COD4 gave me a blue screen, and Crysis didnt? Could run 3Dm6 no prob for hours...
This OC gave me 2000 extra on 3Dm6 score on CPU score.

Herbs
[quote name='Oxymoron' post='112267' date='Jan 31 2008, 07:26 PM']

Hi, i have the same board, and its a crap to overclock...Now i will advise my settings, but it may not work for you:

Unlink ram...

Set FSB: 1333 which is 3.0G

Set NB @ 1.393volts

Set Vcore @ 1.38volts to 1.40volts trial and error

Dont use the standard CPU cooler

Now The ram question: My Patriot runs at 4-4-4-12(2T) @ 2.2ish it hasnt affected my OC, running slightly below that.

But COD4 gave me a blue screen, and Crysis didnt? Could run 3Dm6 no prob for hours...

This OC gave me 2000 extra on 3Dm6 score on CPU score.

Herbs

Intel i7 4820K @ 4.6GHZ - Silverstone Tundra WC - Thermaltake Armour Revo - ASUS P9X79 - 2 x Gigabyte R9 290 - 16GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1866 - W7 HP 64x - Dell 24" @ 1920 x 1200

Posted 01/31/2008 10:55 AM   
I have the same board and CPU and I am only able to clock my CPU at a max of 2.8Ghz (20% overclocked using AI overclocking). I actually tried the settings listed above and got BSOD on windows boot. So essentialy I am having the same problem.

However, I think my problem lies within my RAM. I have 4GB of DDR2-533 (266Mhz) RAM. It's now overclocked to 319Mhz to support my CPU being Overclocked. Thats my theory anyway. If anyone has any suggestions plz let me know.
I have the same board and CPU and I am only able to clock my CPU at a max of 2.8Ghz (20% overclocked using AI overclocking). I actually tried the settings listed above and got BSOD on windows boot. So essentialy I am having the same problem.

However, I think my problem lies within my RAM. I have 4GB of DDR2-533 (266Mhz) RAM. It's now overclocked to 319Mhz to support my CPU being Overclocked. Thats my theory anyway. If anyone has any suggestions plz let me know.

Posted 02/21/2008 09:26 AM   
I have a feeling this is truely a technical issue like the evga SE 680i board. The board does not drive enough power to control all of the core to run a quad core very well. So at stock it is alright, but in a case of OCing, where more power is needed to run the cpu, this is where it fail. If it is anything like the SE board by EVGA, then an extra voltage diver is needed to give more power. If you can return it and get either the striker exytreme or better yet the evga 680i A1 board. I would do so. The P5N-E Sli just doesn't cut it for Q6600 and other quad cores (issues with it are everywhere over the net in forums.) I am sorry. Try bios 1005 or 1003 (forget which one or if it even is this board that has that bios, heard it works. Sorry my Asus experience stops back when AGP was at its last breathe.
I have a feeling this is truely a technical issue like the evga SE 680i board. The board does not drive enough power to control all of the core to run a quad core very well. So at stock it is alright, but in a case of OCing, where more power is needed to run the cpu, this is where it fail. If it is anything like the SE board by EVGA, then an extra voltage diver is needed to give more power. If you can return it and get either the striker exytreme or better yet the evga 680i A1 board. I would do so. The P5N-E Sli just doesn't cut it for Q6600 and other quad cores (issues with it are everywhere over the net in forums.) I am sorry. Try bios 1005 or 1003 (forget which one or if it even is this board that has that bios, heard it works. Sorry my Asus experience stops back when AGP was at its last breathe.

Posted 02/21/2008 12:52 PM   
ok.... so i have almost the same setup as you, (specs in signature)

and i also want to know how much i can overclock my processor.

I've seen people with speeds of 3.4 and 3.6 on stock cooling on the same mobo, but i seem to only be able to get it to 3... and even then, when i reboot, i have to reboot a few times in order for the Bios to not crash.. and when it doesn't i can finally load the OS.

So... i wanna know what's a good voltage/nbcore voltage, FSB, etc... for my setup, to atlEASt get a stable 3.2 ?
ok.... so i have almost the same setup as you, (specs in signature)

and i also want to know how much i can overclock my processor.

I've seen people with speeds of 3.4 and 3.6 on stock cooling on the same mobo, but i seem to only be able to get it to 3... and even then, when i reboot, i have to reboot a few times in order for the Bios to not crash.. and when it doesn't i can finally load the OS.

So... i wanna know what's a good voltage/nbcore voltage, FSB, etc... for my setup, to atlEASt get a stable 3.2 ?

Posted 02/23/2008 05:04 PM   
[quote name='Oxymoron' post='112163' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:37 PM']

My current setup is:

4 GB ram @ 800 mhz
2x GF8800 GT
Vista 64 Home pemium

[/quote]

hey man.. i have the same setup as you....

here's what i did:
i got to 3.8, it ran for a while, then crashed during 3dmark06.....
i'm on stock cooling, so i could only get it as high with the given cooler.
so i got it to 3, with these settings (ps... i know exactly the problems you're having, because i had them.. i checked another blog on guru3d and it helped EVERYTHING.......)

here are my settings:

FSB is 1333
memory speed is DOWNCLOCKED (from 800) to 667
v-core is 1.325
nbcore is at 1.38 or something around there
memory voltage is at 2.1

memory timings are at 4-4-4-12-1T (instead of 5-5-5-31-2T like before)

so effectively, memory is faster... and the processor runs FLAWLESSLY at 3.0 ...

i really hope this helps, i know the annoyance and agression from your situation.. it really pissed me off.. but now i'm happily overclocked :)
[quote name='Oxymoron' post='112163' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:37 PM']

My current setup is:

4 GB ram @ 800 mhz

2x GF8800 GT

Vista 64 Home pemium

hey man.. i have the same setup as you....

here's what i did:

i got to 3.8, it ran for a while, then crashed during 3dmark06.....

i'm on stock cooling, so i could only get it as high with the given cooler.

so i got it to 3, with these settings (ps... i know exactly the problems you're having, because i had them.. i checked another blog on guru3d and it helped EVERYTHING.......)

here are my settings:

FSB is 1333

memory speed is DOWNCLOCKED (from 800) to 667

v-core is 1.325

nbcore is at 1.38 or something around there

memory voltage is at 2.1

memory timings are at 4-4-4-12-1T (instead of 5-5-5-31-2T like before)

so effectively, memory is faster... and the processor runs FLAWLESSLY at 3.0 ...

i really hope this helps, i know the annoyance and agression from your situation.. it really pissed me off.. but now i'm happily overclocked :)

Posted 02/27/2008 01:36 AM   
Hello All....

I am similar issues with my Q6600 & Striker Extreme.

I cannot push it past 2.90Ghz no matter what I try. The FSB is at 1290Mhz & if I add 1 more Mhz to it, it will not POST. I have set the overclock to both linked & unlinked to no avail.

I have adjusted the Voltages on VCore - 1.50, Memory - 2.0v, VTT - 1.50 & the temperatures are within 35oC - 47oC.

All CPU settings are disabled & I do not have SLI Memory enabled, I have seen others with similar specs reaching in excess of 3.20Ghz with no issues and far less voltages.

Any ideas?
Hello All....

I am similar issues with my Q6600 & Striker Extreme.

I cannot push it past 2.90Ghz no matter what I try. The FSB is at 1290Mhz & if I add 1 more Mhz to it, it will not POST. I have set the overclock to both linked & unlinked to no avail.

I have adjusted the Voltages on VCore - 1.50, Memory - 2.0v, VTT - 1.50 & the temperatures are within 35oC - 47oC.

All CPU settings are disabled & I do not have SLI Memory enabled, I have seen others with similar specs reaching in excess of 3.20Ghz with no issues and far less voltages.

Any ideas?

Posted 02/27/2008 10:45 AM   
have you tried to jump from 2.9 to directly 3.0 3-way? Sometimes there are small fsb holes. speeds which the motherboard will not post with for ever reseaon (won't explain the technical aspect to bore you).
have you tried to jump from 2.9 to directly 3.0 3-way? Sometimes there are small fsb holes. speeds which the motherboard will not post with for ever reseaon (won't explain the technical aspect to bore you).

Posted 02/27/2008 03:02 PM   
I have the same motherboard as you guys...with a q6600, 8800gt SSC (getting another one to sli this weekend)...but Im a noob and have a problem. I bought 4 gigs cosair 800mhz ram...but when I put all four sticks in and start up...i get a blank screen. Im running XP SP2...but i have seen other people with the same board on XP run 4 gigs. I know its not the ram...is there something in the BIOS i have to change to so I can run gigs??? Thanks!!! Once that works Im gonna try to OC to 3ghz...wish me luck!!! BTW thanks for all the posts in these forums...they totally rock! I wish I would have found this site earlier.
I have the same motherboard as you guys...with a q6600, 8800gt SSC (getting another one to sli this weekend)...but Im a noob and have a problem. I bought 4 gigs cosair 800mhz ram...but when I put all four sticks in and start up...i get a blank screen. Im running XP SP2...but i have seen other people with the same board on XP run 4 gigs. I know its not the ram...is there something in the BIOS i have to change to so I can run gigs??? Thanks!!! Once that works Im gonna try to OC to 3ghz...wish me luck!!! BTW thanks for all the posts in these forums...they totally rock! I wish I would have found this site earlier.

Posted 02/27/2008 06:11 PM   
[quote name='Oxymoron' post='112163' date='Jan 30 2008, 08:37 PM']

My current setup is:

4 GB ram @ 800 mhz
2x GF8800 GT
Vista 64 Home pemium

[/quote]

Well turn the FSB back to 1066, and just turn the multiplier up til you get the speed you want, thats probably the quickest way to do it
[quote name='Oxymoron' post='112163' date='Jan 30 2008, 08:37 PM']

My current setup is:

4 GB ram @ 800 mhz

2x GF8800 GT

Vista 64 Home pemium

Well turn the FSB back to 1066, and just turn the multiplier up til you get the speed you want, thats probably the quickest way to do it

Posted 02/27/2008 06:25 PM   
i didnt think xp could see 4gb ram
i didnt think xp could see 4gb ram

Posted 02/27/2008 07:38 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top