CAN I SLI TWO DIFFERENT VIDEO CARDS
  1 / 2    
WELL I HAVE TWO DIFFERENT SLI VIDEO CARD ONE OF THE IS A XFX NVIDIA GEFORECE 8800 640 MB DDR3, AND THE OTHER ONE IS A EVGA NVIDIA E GEFORCE 8600 256 MB DDR3. I DON'T THINK IS POSSIBLE BUT TO MAKE SURE I'M ASKING ANYONE WHO KNOWS.

I'M NEW TO SLI TECNOLOGY, SO WHATS THE POINT ON DOING SLI THERE IS NO GAME OUT THERE THAT NEEDS THAT MUCH MEMORY ONLY ONE 8800 IS ENOUGHT TO PLAY THE LATEST GAME. SO ONCE AGAIN WHATS THE POINT ON DOING SLI

THANKS
WELL I HAVE TWO DIFFERENT SLI VIDEO CARD ONE OF THE IS A XFX NVIDIA GEFORECE 8800 640 MB DDR3, AND THE OTHER ONE IS A EVGA NVIDIA E GEFORCE 8600 256 MB DDR3. I DON'T THINK IS POSSIBLE BUT TO MAKE SURE I'M ASKING ANYONE WHO KNOWS.

I'M NEW TO SLI TECNOLOGY, SO WHATS THE POINT ON DOING SLI THERE IS NO GAME OUT THERE THAT NEEDS THAT MUCH MEMORY ONLY ONE 8800 IS ENOUGHT TO PLAY THE LATEST GAME. SO ONCE AGAIN WHATS THE POINT ON DOING SLI

THANKS

Posted 12/10/2007 04:46 PM   
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

The short answer is NO, you can't, as to why..please see above.

Chris
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

The short answer is NO, you can't, as to why..please see above.

Chris

Posted 12/10/2007 05:11 PM   
Every bloody day.... /yawn.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yawn:' /> We all do well filling in for Lycan don't we? :smile:
Every bloody day.... /yawn.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yawn:' /> We all do well filling in for Lycan don't we? :smile:

My name is Legion, for we are many

Sig: BluSOUL | HAFX | Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Pro | Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair H80 | G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Bios ACX | Seagate 500GB SATA 3 & Seagate 2TB SATA 2 | Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0116 | Philips 273E LH 27" | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 |

Posted 12/10/2007 05:12 PM   
In order for SLI to work you have to have identical and I cannot stress enough Identical Graphics Processing Units. Not doing so will result in serve problematic scenarios and ultimately render your unit useless.

Example:

Proper Pairing= BFG Tech 8800 Ultra OC, BFG Tech 8800 Ultra OC *Identical cards*

Proper Pairing= EVGA 8800 GTX, EVGA 8800 GTX *Identical Cards*

Improper Pairing= EVGA 8800 Ultra, BFG Tech 8800 Ultra

Improper Pairing= XFX 8800 GTX, MSI 8800 GTX

Also note clock speeds and manufacture are the primary reasons for mismatch scenario, and are not to be used as such. To answer your question no. You cannot mix and match GPU's. Hooks
In order for SLI to work you have to have identical and I cannot stress enough Identical Graphics Processing Units. Not doing so will result in serve problematic scenarios and ultimately render your unit useless.

Example:

Proper Pairing= BFG Tech 8800 Ultra OC, BFG Tech 8800 Ultra OC *Identical cards*

Proper Pairing= EVGA 8800 GTX, EVGA 8800 GTX *Identical Cards*

Improper Pairing= EVGA 8800 Ultra, BFG Tech 8800 Ultra

Improper Pairing= XFX 8800 GTX, MSI 8800 GTX

Also note clock speeds and manufacture are the primary reasons for mismatch scenario, and are not to be used as such. To answer your question no. You cannot mix and match GPU's. Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 12/10/2007 05:16 PM   
omg someone has to ask this question at least once a day. if you dont wanna search for the answer read teh dam sticky in sli for beginners. it CLEARLY states NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO not on your life NOT in a million years.
omg someone has to ask this question at least once a day. if you dont wanna search for the answer read teh dam sticky in sli for beginners. it CLEARLY states NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO not on your life NOT in a million years.

Posted 12/10/2007 05:37 PM   
*Original comment removed by user* Apologize for comical response. I hope your question was resolved. Hooks
*Original comment removed by user* Apologize for comical response. I hope your question was resolved. Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 12/10/2007 05:46 PM   
Guys, I am getting fed up with seeing people attack new members because they ask a common question - they're coming to us for answers, not lectures, and if you can't stop yourself then just don't post. Either answer their question(s) or just move on, because this isn't the appropriate way to handle the situation, and if it doesn't stop soon then expect to see more than just this.

I didn't see anyone else answer your second question (because, save for Righthooks, they were basically yelling at you) so I'll take care of that. SLI does not double the frame buffer size (i.e. video memory) because the GPUs are drawing the frame using the same resources. When the two video cards are in SLI, the information is mirrored between them. If it helps to think of it this way, SLI is the process of introducing another video processor into your system. It won't double your amount of VRAM, stream processors, pixel/vertex shader engines, or any of that kind of stuff. Hope that clears things up.
Guys, I am getting fed up with seeing people attack new members because they ask a common question - they're coming to us for answers, not lectures, and if you can't stop yourself then just don't post. Either answer their question(s) or just move on, because this isn't the appropriate way to handle the situation, and if it doesn't stop soon then expect to see more than just this.

I didn't see anyone else answer your second question (because, save for Righthooks, they were basically yelling at you) so I'll take care of that. SLI does not double the frame buffer size (i.e. video memory) because the GPUs are drawing the frame using the same resources. When the two video cards are in SLI, the information is mirrored between them. If it helps to think of it this way, SLI is the process of introducing another video processor into your system. It won't double your amount of VRAM, stream processors, pixel/vertex shader engines, or any of that kind of stuff. Hope that clears things up.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 12/10/2007 06:21 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='82343' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:21 PM']
[/quote]

You're right
[quote name='Exitios' post='82343' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:21 PM']

You're right

My name is Legion, for we are many

Sig: BluSOUL | HAFX | Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Pro | Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair H80 | G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Bios ACX | Seagate 500GB SATA 3 & Seagate 2TB SATA 2 | Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0116 | Philips 273E LH 27" | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 |

Posted 12/10/2007 06:24 PM   
Hey! Can I put my voodoo 3 3k in my computer with my voodoo 5 5500? won't that give me three times the video processing power? :biggrin:
Hey! Can I put my voodoo 3 3k in my computer with my voodoo 5 5500? won't that give me three times the video processing power? :biggrin:

Posted 12/10/2007 08:44 PM   
[quote name='DeAtH_hsma_' post='82392' date='Dec 10 2007, 03:44 PM']
[/quote]

Poor attempt at humor. If you have a serious question, or one that relates to actual SLi post it. Hooks

Poor attempt at humor. If you have a serious question, or one that relates to actual SLi post it. Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 12/10/2007 08:54 PM   
[/quote]

Righthooks is right, this isn't really the place for silliness and all that. Plus, the VooDoo3 3000 isn't SLI (ScanLine Interweave) compatible, though the VooDoo5 5500 is, not that it matters.

Righthooks is right, this isn't really the place for silliness and all that. Plus, the VooDoo3 3000 isn't SLI (ScanLine Interweave) compatible, though the VooDoo5 5500 is, not that it matters.

Posted 12/10/2007 09:15 PM   
[quote name='marcovbonilla' post='82305' date='Dec 10 2007, 04:46 PM']

THANKS
[/quote]

The cards have to be Identical (i.e.. 8800gtx and 8800gtx), but they can have different clocks and don't have to be the same manufacturer, in older drivers they do, but newer ones they don't

everything you need to know is here

[url="http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html"]http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html[/url] .
[quote name='marcovbonilla' post='82305' date='Dec 10 2007, 04:46 PM']

THANKS

The cards have to be Identical (i.e.. 8800gtx and 8800gtx), but they can have different clocks and don't have to be the same manufacturer, in older drivers they do, but newer ones they don't

everything you need to know is here

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html .

Posted 12/10/2007 09:59 PM   
[quote name='Thimble_Guy' post='82421' date='Dec 10 2007, 04:59 PM']

[/quote]

Correction they do have to have identical clocks, in order for SLI and the cards to function properly they have to be synced for operation. You can in fact manually adjust the clocks, however it is the wisest course of action to avoid operation issues if you match Card/Manufacturer.

Example 8800 Ultra with stock Core 612, Shader 1500, Memory 1080 would cause issues if you were to place an 8800 Ultra that had clock speeds of Core 660, Shader 1630, Memory 1112. Hooks
[quote name='Thimble_Guy' post='82421' date='Dec 10 2007, 04:59 PM']

Correction they do have to have identical clocks, in order for SLI and the cards to function properly they have to be synced for operation. You can in fact manually adjust the clocks, however it is the wisest course of action to avoid operation issues if you match Card/Manufacturer.

Example 8800 Ultra with stock Core 612, Shader 1500, Memory 1080 would cause issues if you were to place an 8800 Ultra that had clock speeds of Core 660, Shader 1630, Memory 1112. Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 12/10/2007 10:11 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' post='82429' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:11 PM']

[/quote]

Actually Thimble is right, users are able to use two differently-clocked cards in SLI. However, when SLI is enabled their clocks will be adjusted so that they operate at the same frequency, so in a way you're both right here.
[quote name='Righthooks' post='82429' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:11 PM']

Actually Thimble is right, users are able to use two differently-clocked cards in SLI. However, when SLI is enabled their clocks will be adjusted so that they operate at the same frequency, so in a way you're both right here.

Posted 12/10/2007 10:32 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='82435' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:32 PM']
[/quote]

Ya I heard the same thing. It will automatically adjust to the lower clocks. Also heard as well you can mismatch manufacturers.
[quote name='Exitios' post='82435' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:32 PM']

Ya I heard the same thing. It will automatically adjust to the lower clocks. Also heard as well you can mismatch manufacturers.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.8ghz - Hyper 212 EVO

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3

2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Superclocked SLI

Crucial M4 256GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB

Posted 12/11/2007 12:39 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top