SLI Dual Monitors
[quote name='Exitios' post='24370' date='May 8 2007, 01:47 PM']Not without using hacked drivers or programs that force multi-monitor spanning, neither of which are supported or endorsed by NVidia or the members of this forum. With those drivers or programs you can force multiple monitors, but the cost is typically very sluggish gameplay especially at higher resolutions or visual complexity of the application.

However, you are able to have multiple monitors by disabling SLI and allocating one monitor to one GPU and one to the other. You won't have the performance you would if they were in SLI rendering on the same screen, but this does allow for you to have a game or 3D application running on one screen and, say, a walkthrough up on the other.[/quote]

How do you use two cards (without SLI) with two monitors? I've got two XFX 8800 GTS XXX cards and would love to be able to use both while I'm playing EQ on two monitors. I run 4 instances of the game, two on each monitor, and one video card gets a little bogged down. Is there a way to use two cards and just hook one monitor up to each card?
[quote name='Exitios' post='24370' date='May 8 2007, 01:47 PM']Not without using hacked drivers or programs that force multi-monitor spanning, neither of which are supported or endorsed by NVidia or the members of this forum. With those drivers or programs you can force multiple monitors, but the cost is typically very sluggish gameplay especially at higher resolutions or visual complexity of the application.

However, you are able to have multiple monitors by disabling SLI and allocating one monitor to one GPU and one to the other. You won't have the performance you would if they were in SLI rendering on the same screen, but this does allow for you to have a game or 3D application running on one screen and, say, a walkthrough up on the other.

How do you use two cards (without SLI) with two monitors? I've got two XFX 8800 GTS XXX cards and would love to be able to use both while I'm playing EQ on two monitors. I run 4 instances of the game, two on each monitor, and one video card gets a little bogged down. Is there a way to use two cards and just hook one monitor up to each card?

Posted 11/05/2008 10:34 PM   
No. However, NVIDIA has implemented dual monitor support for SLI systems with the introduction of the 180 driver set, so looking into that may be worth your while.
No. However, NVIDIA has implemented dual monitor support for SLI systems with the introduction of the 180 driver set, so looking into that may be worth your while.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 11/05/2008 10:37 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='237974' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:37 PM']No. However, NVIDIA has implemented dual monitor support for SLI systems with the introduction of the 180 driver set, so looking into that may be worth your while.[/quote]

This is going to help A LOT for guys like me and others who admin servers. i can game on my 22 inch and keep my admin tool and ts or ventrilo open on another.

Im going to wait until the driver gets whql certified myself , but i haven't heard al lot of issues with the 180 drivers yet, so thats a good sign.
[quote name='Exitios' post='237974' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:37 PM']No. However, NVIDIA has implemented dual monitor support for SLI systems with the introduction of the 180 driver set, so looking into that may be worth your while.

This is going to help A LOT for guys like me and others who admin servers. i can game on my 22 inch and keep my admin tool and ts or ventrilo open on another.

Im going to wait until the driver gets whql certified myself , but i haven't heard al lot of issues with the 180 drivers yet, so thats a good sign.

Posted 11/09/2008 12:09 PM   
ok guys, here is my config :

vista 64
2 GTX280 with SLI connector

until now, i used a 3rd small video board to have SLI and dual screen (with the tip that consists in deactivate the 3rd video in
hardware manager, reboot, activate SLI, then reactivate 3rd video... damn !)

even not sure SLI is always activated when gamins... in first place yes, because 3dmarkVantage was faster...

now i read that 180.xx drivers are SLI - dual screen ready, so i installed them.. 180.48 WHQL, then 180.84 beta....

no way : 3dmarkVantage is half slower, the second screen does not switch off to let sli speak...
and i even not found any SLI stuff in the Nvidia control pannel....

any idea ??
ok guys, here is my config :

vista 64

2 GTX280 with SLI connector

until now, i used a 3rd small video board to have SLI and dual screen (with the tip that consists in deactivate the 3rd video in

hardware manager, reboot, activate SLI, then reactivate 3rd video... damn !)

even not sure SLI is always activated when gamins... in first place yes, because 3dmarkVantage was faster...

now i read that 180.xx drivers are SLI - dual screen ready, so i installed them.. 180.48 WHQL, then 180.84 beta....

no way : 3dmarkVantage is half slower, the second screen does not switch off to let sli speak...

and i even not found any SLI stuff in the Nvidia control pannel....

any idea ??

Posted 12/13/2008 10:02 AM   
So to clarify. I can have 2 GPU and not in SLI and then have a moniter plugged into each card? Can I do this with any mobo?
So to clarify. I can have 2 GPU and not in SLI and then have a moniter plugged into each card? Can I do this with any mobo?

Posted 12/22/2008 11:45 PM   
[quote name='ZuluB' post='254870' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:45 PM']So to clarify. I can have 2 GPU and not in SLI and then have a moniter plugged into each card? Can I do this with any mobo?[/quote]

Well, you must have an SLI mobo to use this feature, I mean the feature in question is " Using SLI with multiple monitors enabled "

The proper way to make this work is to use any 180.xx driver, enable SLI.. make sure that BOTH of your screens are plugged into the top-most (primary) card...right now this will ONLY work for a total of 2 screens while in SLI, 3 or more must have SLI disabled.

~Nutz
[quote name='ZuluB' post='254870' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:45 PM']So to clarify. I can have 2 GPU and not in SLI and then have a moniter plugged into each card? Can I do this with any mobo?

Well, you must have an SLI mobo to use this feature, I mean the feature in question is " Using SLI with multiple monitors enabled "

The proper way to make this work is to use any 180.xx driver, enable SLI.. make sure that BOTH of your screens are plugged into the top-most (primary) card...right now this will ONLY work for a total of 2 screens while in SLI, 3 or more must have SLI disabled.

~Nutz

EVGA Classified - e760

Intel i7 980x @ 3.8Ghz

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

Corsair Dominator GT - 12GB @ 2000Mhz

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

3x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked in TriSLI

Clocks: ©800Mhz - (S)1598Mhz - (M)4053Mhz {E}

2x 150GB WD RaptorX in Raid 0

2x 1TB WD Black in Raid 0

2x Samsung DVD Burners

PC P&C T12W 1200w PSU

MPlay202+ System Control/Display

Custom Cooler Master Stacker 830

Vidikron Vision 150 DLP Projector 120"- 1080P

Samsung LN52B750 52" LCD HDTV

2x LG L227WG 22" LCDs

3D Vision - Driver ver. 1.23

Posted 12/23/2008 12:39 AM   
[quote name='ImNutz4GTX280' post='254888' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:39 AM']Well, you must have an SLI mobo to use this feature, I mean the feature in question is " Using SLI with multiple monitors enabled "

~Nutz[/quote]
What happens if you use 2 different sized monitors?
Also if I disable SLI and plug 1 monitor into each card would I have better control over them.
[quote name='ImNutz4GTX280' post='254888' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:39 AM']Well, you must have an SLI mobo to use this feature, I mean the feature in question is " Using SLI with multiple monitors enabled "

~Nutz

What happens if you use 2 different sized monitors?

Also if I disable SLI and plug 1 monitor into each card would I have better control over them.

Posted 12/27/2008 06:38 AM   
[quote name='ZuluB' post='256096' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:38 AM']What happens if you use 2 different sized monitors?
Also if I disable SLI and plug 1 monitor into each card would I have better control over them.[/quote]

This is a good question. I too would like to know. Does the resolution have to be the same on both or can they be different?

*edit* wow, just noticed this thread is over 9 months old. lol.
[quote name='ZuluB' post='256096' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:38 AM']What happens if you use 2 different sized monitors?

This is a good question. I too would like to know. Does the resolution have to be the same on both or can they be different?

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.8ghz - Hyper 212 EVO

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3

2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Superclocked SLI

Crucial M4 256GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB

Posted 10/26/2009 09:57 PM   
[quote name='Thoob' post='340801' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:57 AM']This is a good question. I too would like to know. Does the resolution have to be the same on both or can they be different?

*edit* wow, just noticed this thread is over 9 months old. lol.[/quote]

Yeah it is but the question is still valid.

The answer is it doesn't matter. The monitors are independent of each other & can run at different resolutions and/or colour depth if required.
[quote name='Thoob' post='340801' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:57 AM']This is a good question. I too would like to know. Does the resolution have to be the same on both or can they be different?

Yeah it is but the question is still valid.

The answer is it doesn't matter. The monitors are independent of each other & can run at different resolutions and/or colour depth if required.

Posted 10/27/2009 12:27 AM   
This post almost year old...
This post almost year old...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Posted 10/27/2009 02:04 AM   
[quote name='Mr_Scary' post='340847' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:04 PM']This post almost year old...[/quote]

More than two actually, but EmmSqd is right in saying that the question asked is still a valid one.
[quote name='Mr_Scary' post='340847' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:04 PM']This post almost year old...

More than two actually, but EmmSqd is right in saying that the question asked is still a valid one.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 10/27/2009 02:07 AM   
Scroll To Top