Dual Monitors Don't Work in SLI!
  1 / 2    
I just installed 2 XFX GeForce 7800 GTs in SLI. I got all of that configured and it works great with one monitor. However when I attempted to hook up the second flat screen it did not work with windows. I was able to see both displays as it booted, but once windows started the 2nd monitor went blank. I am running an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with Windows XP, and have both DVI cables hooked into my primary XFX graphic card. Does anyone know how I can get my second monitor to work?

[attachment=217:attachment][attachment=218:attachment]
I just installed 2 XFX GeForce 7800 GTs in SLI. I got all of that configured and it works great with one monitor. However when I attempted to hook up the second flat screen it did not work with windows. I was able to see both displays as it booted, but once windows started the 2nd monitor went blank. I am running an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with Windows XP, and have both DVI cables hooked into my primary XFX graphic card. Does anyone know how I can get my second monitor to work?

Posted 02/07/2007 02:36 AM   
[quote name='HydraPoniX' post='8798' date='Feb 6 2007, 06:36 PM']

[/quote]

You can't, SLI does not support dual monitor setup.
[quote name='HydraPoniX' post='8798' date='Feb 6 2007, 06:36 PM']

Posted 02/07/2007 03:10 AM   
[quote name='reality_storm' post='8804' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:10 PM']
[/quote]

WTF? Seriously?? What a waste of money these cards were! So if I wanted dual monitors, instead of going SLI with 2 medium range cards, go with one Dual DVI high end card?? Can you recomend any?
[quote name='reality_storm' post='8804' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:10 PM']

WTF? Seriously?? What a waste of money these cards were! So if I wanted dual monitors, instead of going SLI with 2 medium range cards, go with one Dual DVI high end card?? Can you recomend any?

Posted 02/07/2007 04:11 AM   
SLI and DUal monitors are unfortunately not compatible. ((They never have been)) as far as a single card reccomendation. I would go with a single 8800GTS or 8800 GTX to get better performance and features for your paticular setup.

Chris
SLI and DUal monitors are unfortunately not compatible. ((They never have been)) as far as a single card reccomendation. I would go with a single 8800GTS or 8800 GTX to get better performance and features for your paticular setup.

Chris

Posted 02/07/2007 04:25 AM   
Yeah sadly you cant duel sli on two monitors yet. or if nvidia ever will get around to it. maybe in sli 2.0 *winks*

also open up that case and get a can of air duster :P
Yeah sadly you cant duel sli on two monitors yet. or if nvidia ever will get around to it. maybe in sli 2.0 *winks*

also open up that case and get a can of air duster :P

Posted 02/07/2007 10:35 AM   
Dual monitor support in SLI would take away from the whole point of SLI: to get the best and fastest performance possible. Splitting up the rendering and send the image to two separate destinations would take a lot of processing power, taking away from the ability to render at high speeds. I wouldn't want two mediocre displays, and much prefer my one kick azz one.
Dual monitor support in SLI would take away from the whole point of SLI: to get the best and fastest performance possible. Splitting up the rendering and send the image to two separate destinations would take a lot of processing power, taking away from the ability to render at high speeds. I wouldn't want two mediocre displays, and much prefer my one kick azz one.

Posted 02/07/2007 11:08 AM   
The solution is not as simple as it seems. The second card feeds it data to the first one so it simply cannot be used as a rendering device 2D display.

Chris
The solution is not as simple as it seems. The second card feeds it data to the first one so it simply cannot be used as a rendering device 2D display.

Chris

Posted 02/07/2007 12:13 PM   
I'm in the same situation as the OP, only with dual 7900GS's and two Dell 24", however I'm (sadly) no longer a hardcore gamer -- I've been demoted to "occasional" gamer since I'm programming full time now.

With that said, what I'm *thinking* is, I'll run both cards in parallel (non-SLI, a monitor hooked into each card individually) mode while I'm programming, then I can just flip the SLI switch in the nVidia control panel and go to town gaming on one monitor.

Is this an ok method?

Also, wouldn't two independant cards running two monitors run better than one card (again, non-SLI)?

OR

should I just go SLI on one monitor, and get a PCI version (of the 7900GS to keep drivers sync'd) and just slave out my second monitor to that?
I'm in the same situation as the OP, only with dual 7900GS's and two Dell 24", however I'm (sadly) no longer a hardcore gamer -- I've been demoted to "occasional" gamer since I'm programming full time now.

With that said, what I'm *thinking* is, I'll run both cards in parallel (non-SLI, a monitor hooked into each card individually) mode while I'm programming, then I can just flip the SLI switch in the nVidia control panel and go to town gaming on one monitor.

Is this an ok method?

Also, wouldn't two independant cards running two monitors run better than one card (again, non-SLI)?

OR

should I just go SLI on one monitor, and get a PCI version (of the 7900GS to keep drivers sync'd) and just slave out my second monitor to that?

Posted 02/20/2007 02:27 AM   
I normally run a two monitor setup at the moment. I am looking to upgrade to an SLI motherboard and graphics cards, but i want to be able to run the two monitors, and flip to SLI when needed.

I need to confirm that with 2 cards setup to run as SLI (and play a game on a single monitor, etc.), I can also, in an easy method (such as flip a setting in the NV Control Panel - referencing a previous post), that I can revert to 2 video cards running separate monitors. Does it require a restart? etc. Please help.

For this setup, I need to hook the monitors up one to each video card, correct? Not both monitors to one card.

And I could even run up to four monitors, two to each card (assuming dual dvi/vga), and still flip the SLI toggle in the NV Control Panel and run only the one monitor with SLI acceleration functionality for game play, correct?

Thanks for your help.
mandarin
I normally run a two monitor setup at the moment. I am looking to upgrade to an SLI motherboard and graphics cards, but i want to be able to run the two monitors, and flip to SLI when needed.

I need to confirm that with 2 cards setup to run as SLI (and play a game on a single monitor, etc.), I can also, in an easy method (such as flip a setting in the NV Control Panel - referencing a previous post), that I can revert to 2 video cards running separate monitors. Does it require a restart? etc. Please help.

For this setup, I need to hook the monitors up one to each video card, correct? Not both monitors to one card.

And I could even run up to four monitors, two to each card (assuming dual dvi/vga), and still flip the SLI toggle in the NV Control Panel and run only the one monitor with SLI acceleration functionality for game play, correct?

Thanks for your help.

mandarin

Posted 02/20/2007 03:20 AM   
I'm also a multimon victim as well and I truly feel the pain. I have been looking for a single 42" LCD for a couple months that is not capped at full HD resolution just for SLI but have had no luck. So I'm considering two 30" Dell monitors and running them in span mode and using the SLI for the primary only when I game but I'm under the impression that one has to reboot to enable SLI and that is a major bummer to be sure.
I'm also a multimon victim as well and I truly feel the pain. I have been looking for a single 42" LCD for a couple months that is not capped at full HD resolution just for SLI but have had no luck. So I'm considering two 30" Dell monitors and running them in span mode and using the SLI for the primary only when I game but I'm under the impression that one has to reboot to enable SLI and that is a major bummer to be sure.

Posted 02/20/2007 03:36 AM   
what about spliting the output to use both monitors with the same feed I know that u dont want to have two sceens have the same thing on but what if you were hosting a party and the others instead of looking over your shoulder had their own screen to look at. that might be worth looking in two.
what about spliting the output to use both monitors with the same feed I know that u dont want to have two sceens have the same thing on but what if you were hosting a party and the others instead of looking over your shoulder had their own screen to look at. that might be worth looking in two.

Posted 02/20/2007 05:01 AM   
I dont think it is possible to use SLI with clone. Again you would have two signals leaving the cards and only one is allowed. The only option would be a third card in the PCI-E slot for a second monitor however I'm not sure that will work correctly.
I dont think it is possible to use SLI with clone. Again you would have two signals leaving the cards and only one is allowed. The only option would be a third card in the PCI-E slot for a second monitor however I'm not sure that will work correctly.

Posted 02/20/2007 10:07 AM   
[quote name='Spartan' post='11414' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:07 AM']
The only option would be a third card in the PCI-E slot for a second monitor however I'm not sure that will work correctly.
[/quote]

I'm almost (99%) positive that some enterprising members of this board have gotten this setup to work.
[quote name='Spartan' post='11414' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:07 AM']

The only option would be a third card in the PCI-E slot for a second monitor however I'm not sure that will work correctly.

I'm almost (99%) positive that some enterprising members of this board have gotten this setup to work.

Posted 02/20/2007 11:35 AM   
So, the question is, can you split the signal from the DVI plug coming from the graphics board either with a y cable or with a signal splitter (much more expensive) and have the split signal going to a projector and a monitor running in SLI?

Web
So, the question is, can you split the signal from the DVI plug coming from the graphics board either with a y cable or with a signal splitter (much more expensive) and have the split signal going to a projector and a monitor running in SLI?

Web

Posted 02/20/2007 02:32 PM   
[quote name='reality_storm' post='11418' date='Feb 20 2007, 08:35 PM']
[/quote]

I would like to see pictures and performance stats if this is so. However I cant see laying out another grand for a third card. If I am to go this route I think maybe it would best to wait until they have a dual G80 GPU that way I can have my cake and eat it as well. :tongue:
[quote name='reality_storm' post='11418' date='Feb 20 2007, 08:35 PM']

I would like to see pictures and performance stats if this is so. However I cant see laying out another grand for a third card. If I am to go this route I think maybe it would best to wait until they have a dual G80 GPU that way I can have my cake and eat it as well. :tongue:

Posted 02/20/2007 03:12 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top