GeForce FX Go 5200 Windows 7 compatibility
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 17" widescreen P20 laptop with an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video card, 2gb ram and a 2.8Ghz processor.

Having run the Windows 7 compatibility utility, I have received a green light to upgrade my system on all fronts save for the graphics card which the utility tells me might have difficulties running the 'Aero' features of W7.

There are no offical Nvidia drivers as my video card is not officially supported with W7. I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience running W7 with the Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video card and if so, anything to report? Are there any unofficial drivers which will work with my video card and W7?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 17" widescreen P20 laptop with an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video card, 2gb ram and a 2.8Ghz processor.

Having run the Windows 7 compatibility utility, I have received a green light to upgrade my system on all fronts save for the graphics card which the utility tells me might have difficulties running the 'Aero' features of W7.

There are no offical Nvidia drivers as my video card is not officially supported with W7. I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience running W7 with the Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video card and if so, anything to report? Are there any unofficial drivers which will work with my video card and W7?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Posted 10/24/2009 11:06 AM   
You can "force" drivers from the link in my sig to install for you. Sadly, the FX (5) series cards and chips are not officially supported in either Vista or Windows 7. Aero [i]needs[/i] a DX9 card to function...and the FX series is not 100% DX9. Windows 7 will install default drivers, that's about the best you can do. Unless you want to try the drivers in the link in my sig.
You can "force" drivers from the link in my sig to install for you. Sadly, the FX (5) series cards and chips are not officially supported in either Vista or Windows 7. Aero needs a DX9 card to function...and the FX series is not 100% DX9. Windows 7 will install default drivers, that's about the best you can do. Unless you want to try the drivers in the link in my sig.

Posted 10/24/2009 12:41 PM   
[quote name='Hexen525' post='604684' date='Oct 24 2009, 01:41 PM']You can "force" drivers from the link in my sig to install for you. Sadly, the FX (5) series cards and chips are not officially supported in either Vista or Windows 7. Aero [i]needs[/i] a DX9 card to function...and the FX series is not 100% DX9. Windows 7 will install default drivers, that's about the best you can do. Unless you want to try the drivers in the link in my sig.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like it might be a bit of a risk unless I can find someone who's had success with this setup before.

I've come to a crossroads with my machine where I need to decide whether to keep it and upgrade its components and OS or whether to jack it in for a new PC. I'm sure you know the feeling.

What exactly is 'Aero'? Would its incompatibility with my video card prevent the whole of W7 from working or would i just have to disable certain features as a workaround?

Do you know if I can use the Geforce 5200 drivers with my 'Geforce Go 5200' card or are they separate things?
I would be willing to try out your drivers, is there a chance that they might improve functionality within W7.

Thanks,
Will
[quote name='Hexen525' post='604684' date='Oct 24 2009, 01:41 PM']You can "force" drivers from the link in my sig to install for you. Sadly, the FX (5) series cards and chips are not officially supported in either Vista or Windows 7. Aero needs a DX9 card to function...and the FX series is not 100% DX9. Windows 7 will install default drivers, that's about the best you can do. Unless you want to try the drivers in the link in my sig.

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like it might be a bit of a risk unless I can find someone who's had success with this setup before.

I've come to a crossroads with my machine where I need to decide whether to keep it and upgrade its components and OS or whether to jack it in for a new PC. I'm sure you know the feeling.

What exactly is 'Aero'? Would its incompatibility with my video card prevent the whole of W7 from working or would i just have to disable certain features as a workaround?

Do you know if I can use the Geforce 5200 drivers with my 'Geforce Go 5200' card or are they separate things?

I would be willing to try out your drivers, is there a chance that they might improve functionality within W7.

Thanks,

Will

Posted 10/24/2009 01:35 PM   
[quote name='quentinhapsburg' post='604705' date='Oct 24 2009, 01:35 PM']Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
Will[/quote]

you can edit the driver inf with your hardware codes if needed i could do it for you if needed.

I have a portege m200 with this card the driver are a little buggy for Aero but have found out that the resolution plays a big part in getting Aero to work correctly.

you will have to find the correct resolution for your laptop but i know with me.

I cant go over 1280x1024.

I cant use my native resolution on my tablet or I get blank screens or a load of flicker with Aero but at the resolution iv set it to it works great no slow down what so ever and the card only has 32MB of memory.

So yes its works and card do support Aero without any problems once set right it would be so nice if Nvidia would fix this but it wont happen as the card is not supported my tech no more

The good thing too is if your not running a LCD/TFT at your native resolution the clear type can be customized so text is more clear as some degrade the image/text on screen if not ran at there native

hope this helps if not too late in posting a reply

regards
Danny

p.s. forgot to say im using driver version nvidia 97.54 for windows vista 32bit with edited inf
[quote name='quentinhapsburg' post='604705' date='Oct 24 2009, 01:35 PM']Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,

Will

you can edit the driver inf with your hardware codes if needed i could do it for you if needed.

I have a portege m200 with this card the driver are a little buggy for Aero but have found out that the resolution plays a big part in getting Aero to work correctly.

you will have to find the correct resolution for your laptop but i know with me.

I cant use my native resolution on my tablet or I get blank screens or a load of flicker with Aero but at the resolution iv set it to it works great no slow down what so ever and the card only has 32MB of memory.

So yes its works and card do support Aero without any problems once set right it would be so nice if Nvidia would fix this but it wont happen as the card is not supported my tech no more

The good thing too is if your not running a LCD/TFT at your native resolution the clear type can be customized so text is more clear as some degrade the image/text on screen if not ran at there native

regards

Danny

p.s. forgot to say im using driver version nvidia 97.54 for windows vista 32bit with edited inf

Posted 11/09/2009 01:39 AM   
[quote name='Danny-the-lion' post='947722' date='Nov 9 2009, 01:39 AM']you can edit the driver inf with your hardware codes if needed i could do it for you if needed.

regards
Danny

p.s. forgot to say im using driver version nvidia 97.54 for windows vista 32bit with edited inf[/quote]

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your post. I have just installed Windows 7 and, using the default Windows 7 drivers, the video card seems to work at 1024 x 768 pretty well.

1280 x 1024 works as well but it cuts off the bottom of the screen so I can't see the taskbar and start menu.

Is there any way to resize the screen or perhaps you could let me know how to edit the driver inf?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Will
[quote name='Danny-the-lion' post='947722' date='Nov 9 2009, 01:39 AM']you can edit the driver inf with your hardware codes if needed i could do it for you if needed.

regards

Danny

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your post. I have just installed Windows 7 and, using the default Windows 7 drivers, the video card seems to work at 1024 x 768 pretty well.

1280 x 1024 works as well but it cuts off the bottom of the screen so I can't see the taskbar and start menu.

Is there any way to resize the screen or perhaps you could let me know how to edit the driver inf?

Thanks,

Will

Posted 11/22/2009 09:33 AM   
[quote name='quentinhapsburg' post='954222' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:33 AM']Hi Danny,

Thanks,
Will[/quote]

I also forgot to say that I can't install the only available driver on this site which is 96.85. It takes me as far as the install wizard before giving the error message 'The nvidia setup program could not locate and drivers which are compatible with you current hardware. Setup will now exit'

I looked for the 97.54 drivers but they do not seem to be compatible with my card. Should I use them anyway?

Thanks,
Will
[quote name='quentinhapsburg' post='954222' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:33 AM']Hi Danny,

Thanks,

Will

I also forgot to say that I can't install the only available driver on this site which is 96.85. It takes me as far as the install wizard before giving the error message 'The nvidia setup program could not locate and drivers which are compatible with you current hardware. Setup will now exit'

I looked for the 97.54 drivers but they do not seem to be compatible with my card. Should I use them anyway?

Thanks,

Will

Posted 11/22/2009 10:06 AM   
FX 5200 can run Aero. I have also FX 5200 (not Go). 96.85 and 97.34 can run Aero however it locks up computer at random times and especially when I try to play Chess Titans. Forceware 169.21 works fine, but without Aero. Or use the default driver coming with Windows installation, which also works without Aero.
FX 5200 can run Aero. I have also FX 5200 (not Go). 96.85 and 97.34 can run Aero however it locks up computer at random times and especially when I try to play Chess Titans. Forceware 169.21 works fine, but without Aero. Or use the default driver coming with Windows installation, which also works without Aero.

Posted 11/22/2009 11:06 AM   
[quote name='naman' post='954246' date='Nov 22 2009, 11:06 AM']FX 5200 can run Aero. I have also FX 5200 (not Go). 96.85 and 97.34 can run Aero however it locks up computer at random times and especially when I try to play Chess Titans. Forceware 169.21 works fine, but without Aero. Or use the default driver coming with Windows installation, which also works without Aero.[/quote]

After trying a few different drivers such as the Go6100, 6200, I am really frustrated as different aspects of Aero work in each one. Surely it must be possible to write a driver for the 5200?

I've read that it's nigh on impossible to replace the video card on my machine and I really can't stand the thought of replacing my laptop (which cost £2000 3 years ago!!) just because the video card won't work correctly.

So frustrating....
[quote name='naman' post='954246' date='Nov 22 2009, 11:06 AM']FX 5200 can run Aero. I have also FX 5200 (not Go). 96.85 and 97.34 can run Aero however it locks up computer at random times and especially when I try to play Chess Titans. Forceware 169.21 works fine, but without Aero. Or use the default driver coming with Windows installation, which also works without Aero.

After trying a few different drivers such as the Go6100, 6200, I am really frustrated as different aspects of Aero work in each one. Surely it must be possible to write a driver for the 5200?

I've read that it's nigh on impossible to replace the video card on my machine and I really can't stand the thought of replacing my laptop (which cost £2000 3 years ago!!) just because the video card won't work correctly.

So frustrating....

Posted 11/22/2009 11:50 AM   
I've also tried lots of drivers, however none worked well actually. It is a fact that nVidia does not support FX series anymore. Driver 96.85 was released and that's all. It is faulty. No new driver that gonna solve issues for Win7.

And it is nonsense to upgrade another graphic card when you already spent lots of money for a whole system. The problem is too many new graphic cards are releasing and due to this older cards became incompatible with newer systems since they design them for newer cards. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
I've also tried lots of drivers, however none worked well actually. It is a fact that nVidia does not support FX series anymore. Driver 96.85 was released and that's all. It is faulty. No new driver that gonna solve issues for Win7.

And it is nonsense to upgrade another graphic card when you already spent lots of money for a whole system. The problem is too many new graphic cards are releasing and due to this older cards became incompatible with newer systems since they design them for newer cards. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 11/22/2009 12:07 PM   
[quote name='naman' post='954255' date='Nov 22 2009, 12:07 PM']I've also tried lots of drivers, however none worked well actually. It is a fact that nVidia does not support FX series anymore. Driver 96.85 was released and that's all. It is faulty. No new driver that gonna solve issues for Win7.

And it is nonsense to upgrade another graphic card when you already spent lots of money for a whole system. The problem is too many new graphic cards are releasing and due to this older cards became incompatible with newer systems since they design them for newer cards. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />[/quote]

I've settled on the Nvidia 96.85 forceware drivers for Vista 32. They seem to run smoothly as long as Aero is disabled. Haven't had any problems thus far, fingers crossed. Once you switch Aero on, all hell breaks loose though...
[quote name='naman' post='954255' date='Nov 22 2009, 12:07 PM']I've also tried lots of drivers, however none worked well actually. It is a fact that nVidia does not support FX series anymore. Driver 96.85 was released and that's all. It is faulty. No new driver that gonna solve issues for Win7.

I've settled on the Nvidia 96.85 forceware drivers for Vista 32. They seem to run smoothly as long as Aero is disabled. Haven't had any problems thus far, fingers crossed. Once you switch Aero on, all hell breaks loose though...

Posted 11/23/2009 05:30 PM   
Even with Aero disabled, I had encountered problems. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> Lucky you...
Even with Aero disabled, I had encountered problems. /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> Lucky you...

Posted 11/23/2009 08:52 PM   
I have a

Toshiba Satellite P25-S5263
Pentium 4 3.06 CPU
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB
1.5GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x86

The 96.85 drivers seem to be working fine with Aero enabled. I haven't noticed any Aero features not working correctly
I have a

Toshiba Satellite P25-S5263

Pentium 4 3.06 CPU

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB

1.5GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate x86

The 96.85 drivers seem to be working fine with Aero enabled. I haven't noticed any Aero features not working correctly

Posted 02/21/2010 11:27 PM   
hi, it might be a long time since this has been solved but i ended here looking for a solution to the same problem...so this is for the next person looking for this... http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1530#download ForceWare Vista 97.35 x86 (laptops) download from Guru3D.com works and aero too... also read up http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/a15c3d83-ff06-4d5b-aa37-053af9a9660e/
hi,

it might be a long time since this has been solved but i ended here looking for a solution to the same problem...so this is for the next person looking for this...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1530#download

ForceWare Vista 97.35 x86 (laptops) download from Guru3D.com works and aero too...

also read up http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/a15c3d83-ff06-4d5b-aa37-053af9a9660e/

Posted 03/17/2013 11:50 PM   
I have an old Dell Inspiron 5150. Pentium 4 3.06Ghz 2 GB RAM NVIDIA Geforce FX Go5200 64MB Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) I downloaded the Force Nvidia 97.54 for windows vista 32bit. I was wondering how to modify the inf file so it will run on Windows 7 and get Aero. The current driver I am using is the old Dell Geforce FX Go5200 driver. I can get minecraft to run but its a little laggy at times. But I cannot get Aero to work. Can anyone help me??
I have an old Dell Inspiron 5150.

Pentium 4 3.06Ghz

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce FX Go5200 64MB

Windows 7 Pro (32 bit)

I downloaded the Force Nvidia 97.54 for windows vista 32bit. I was wondering how to modify the inf
file so it will run on Windows 7 and get Aero.

The current driver I am using is the old Dell Geforce FX Go5200 driver.
I can get minecraft to run but its a little laggy at times.
But I cannot get Aero to work.

Can anyone help me??

Posted 07/23/2013 12:31 PM   
Scroll To Top