Display driver stopped responding and has stopped on Windows 7
  1 / 7    
Okay, I know that you guys probably get people whining about this problem all the time.

But I really have no idea what to do!

Every time I play/run anything that is a little demanding in the graphics department, I get one of four errors:

1) The picture freezes, but I can still Ctrl+Alt+Del me out of the program to see the ever so feared error message:
"Display driver stopped responding and has stopped
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

2)The picture freezes and gets a lot of graphic errors. Mainly green stripes and dots. In this option I am not able to Ctrl+Alt+Del me out of the program. Plus the sound freezes and can be very noisy. Only thing I can do is give the pc a hard shutdown.

3) Blue Screen. This has only happened once or twice, so I cannot tell you guys what the error message is.

4) I did get another error message concerning DirectX about 3-4 times, but I don't get that anymore. I did write down the error message though:
"DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED :
mpManaged-> Map(D3D10_MAP_READ_WRITE,0,&mpVertexData)"

Here is my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920
GFX: XFX Geforce GTX 275 896MB XXX Core Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (Firmware F10D)
Memory: 6GB Kingston DDR3 PC3-10700 (3x2 GB)
HDD: 500GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16MB (WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B2)
PSU: 750w PSU

So I have tried just about every solution on the web, including some stuff I figured I'd try myself, but nothing have worked.

It should be noted that my computer is only about 1-2 weeks old, and there where no problems the first day or so.

I will try to list the things I have tried (I will probably not be able to remember all of them):

- I tried reinstalling the driver.

- I tried installing every older driver version there is.

- I have checked my GPU's temperature, but it was only at 60 degrees celsius on the time of the crash.

- I have tried to fully delete all NVIDIA drivers with Driver Cleaner.NET and then installed every driver available.

- I have tried changing to the Windows 7 Basic theme.

- I have tried to do the "EXPAND trick" of the nvlddmkm.sys file.

- I have checked the +12V value, which is between 11.84 and 11.90.

- My CPU temperature doesn't exceed 45 degrees, before crash.

- I ran memtest84. No errors.

- I would say that I don't ask to much of my GFX, since it is pretty high-end still.

- Updated BIOS from version F8 to F10D

- Updated Chipset drivers.

I might have forgotten some of the things I tried. If other stuff comes to mind, I will post it.

The applications that I have experienced that problem with is:
Resident Evil 5 Benchmark Edition (It usually crashes during Area 1, but does sometimes get to Area 2)
Need for Speed Shift (Crashed after playing through first race)
NBA 2K10 (Can't play through an entire match)
The NVIDIA Sparkles DX10 Demo (Crashed after like 2-3 minutes)
Quake Live (I haven't had any problems with this before today (10-19-2009).)

My next step will be a complete reinstall of Windows. I will get back to you with the result.

In the meantime, do you guys have any suggestions?
Okay, I know that you guys probably get people whining about this problem all the time.

But I really have no idea what to do!

Every time I play/run anything that is a little demanding in the graphics department, I get one of four errors:

1) The picture freezes, but I can still Ctrl+Alt+Del me out of the program to see the ever so feared error message:

"Display driver stopped responding and has stopped

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

2)The picture freezes and gets a lot of graphic errors. Mainly green stripes and dots. In this option I am not able to Ctrl+Alt+Del me out of the program. Plus the sound freezes and can be very noisy. Only thing I can do is give the pc a hard shutdown.

3) Blue Screen. This has only happened once or twice, so I cannot tell you guys what the error message is.

4) I did get another error message concerning DirectX about 3-4 times, but I don't get that anymore. I did write down the error message though:

"DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED :

mpManaged-> Map(D3D10_MAP_READ_WRITE,0,&mpVertexData)"

Here is my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920

GFX: XFX Geforce GTX 275 896MB XXX Core Edition

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (Firmware F10D)

Memory: 6GB Kingston DDR3 PC3-10700 (3x2 GB)

HDD: 500GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16MB (WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B2)

PSU: 750w PSU

So I have tried just about every solution on the web, including some stuff I figured I'd try myself, but nothing have worked.

It should be noted that my computer is only about 1-2 weeks old, and there where no problems the first day or so.

I will try to list the things I have tried (I will probably not be able to remember all of them):

- I tried reinstalling the driver.

- I tried installing every older driver version there is.

- I have checked my GPU's temperature, but it was only at 60 degrees celsius on the time of the crash.

- I have tried to fully delete all NVIDIA drivers with Driver Cleaner.NET and then installed every driver available.

- I have tried changing to the Windows 7 Basic theme.

- I have tried to do the "EXPAND trick" of the nvlddmkm.sys file.

- I have checked the +12V value, which is between 11.84 and 11.90.

- My CPU temperature doesn't exceed 45 degrees, before crash.

- I ran memtest84. No errors.

- I would say that I don't ask to much of my GFX, since it is pretty high-end still.

- Updated BIOS from version F8 to F10D

- Updated Chipset drivers.

I might have forgotten some of the things I tried. If other stuff comes to mind, I will post it.

The applications that I have experienced that problem with is:

Resident Evil 5 Benchmark Edition (It usually crashes during Area 1, but does sometimes get to Area 2)

Need for Speed Shift (Crashed after playing through first race)

NBA 2K10 (Can't play through an entire match)

My next step will be a complete reinstall of Windows. I will get back to you with the result.

In the meantime, do you guys have any suggestions?

Posted 10/19/2009 02:29 AM   
I use to have similar problems so i switched to Windows Xp I would advice you to do the same(Its Up To You)
I use to have similar problems so i switched to Windows Xp I would advice you to do the same(Its Up To You)

Posted 10/19/2009 02:55 AM   
Well yeah, but unfortunately I don't want to switch to XP. Thanks for the reply though.
Well yeah, but unfortunately I don't want to switch to XP. Thanks for the reply though.

Posted 10/19/2009 03:01 AM   
I am in the same position as you are, games glitch out after a seemingly random amount of time and nothing seems to be able to fix the problem. I've tried Driver Sweeping in Safe Mode and installing all kinds of drivers but haven't had any luck yet, hoping nVidia will sort the problem with these drivers soon - they seem to affect the Windows install somehow that Driver Sweeper doesn't get rid of.

I'm thinking an OS reinstall will probably fix the problem but not sure I want to go through all that hassle just yet. Let me know how it goes if you decide to do it.
I am in the same position as you are, games glitch out after a seemingly random amount of time and nothing seems to be able to fix the problem. I've tried Driver Sweeping in Safe Mode and installing all kinds of drivers but haven't had any luck yet, hoping nVidia will sort the problem with these drivers soon - they seem to affect the Windows install somehow that Driver Sweeper doesn't get rid of.

I'm thinking an OS reinstall will probably fix the problem but not sure I want to go through all that hassle just yet. Let me know how it goes if you decide to do it.

Posted 10/19/2009 10:18 AM   
reinstall of OS doesn't resolve anything (just tried) the solution is to use 186.34 driver until nvidia solve that issue i m stuck with 186.34 driver too due to that issue.
reinstall of OS doesn't resolve anything (just tried) the solution is to use 186.34 driver until nvidia solve that issue i m stuck with 186.34 driver too due to that issue.

Posted 10/19/2009 12:01 PM   
[quote name='Besstheone' post='602713' date='Oct 19 2009, 01:01 PM']reinstall of OS doesn't resolve anything (just tried) the solution is to use 186.34 driver until nvidia solve that issue i m stuck with 186.34 driver too due to that issue.[/quote]

I've tried Driver Sweeping and then installing 186.18 but I still get the same problem (as if something broken has been leftover from the latest drivers), perhaps reinstalling OS and then using 186 drivers is the only way to resolve it for now?
[quote name='Besstheone' post='602713' date='Oct 19 2009, 01:01 PM']reinstall of OS doesn't resolve anything (just tried) the solution is to use 186.34 driver until nvidia solve that issue i m stuck with 186.34 driver too due to that issue.

I've tried Driver Sweeping and then installing 186.18 but I still get the same problem (as if something broken has been leftover from the latest drivers), perhaps reinstalling OS and then using 186 drivers is the only way to resolve it for now?

Posted 10/19/2009 12:36 PM   
just try clean Os install then 186.34 but DONT UPDATE to 191.07 :)
just try clean Os install then 186.34 but DONT UPDATE to 191.07 :)

Posted 10/19/2009 03:59 PM   
Yeah Besstheone, that will probably be my next move.

Anyway, the error has been more sensitive lately... I've experienced the error in two other applications now:

I am going to reinstall Windows later today. I'll get back to you with the result.
Yeah Besstheone, that will probably be my next move.

Anyway, the error has been more sensitive lately... I've experienced the error in two other applications now:

I am going to reinstall Windows later today. I'll get back to you with the result.

Posted 10/19/2009 07:22 PM   
Sorry for the double post.

I just realized that driver 186.34 wouldn't do anything for me, since it is only for the Geforce GT 220.
Sorry for the double post.

I just realized that driver 186.34 wouldn't do anything for me, since it is only for the Geforce GT 220.

Posted 10/19/2009 11:00 PM   
Sorry about the triple post.

I have now done a clean install (with a legit copy of Windows 7 Pro) and it did not solve anything.

I might have to face that this probably is a hardware problem.

It even crashed under the Windows Experience Index test :S
Sorry about the triple post.

I have now done a clean install (with a legit copy of Windows 7 Pro) and it did not solve anything.

I might have to face that this probably is a hardware problem.

It even crashed under the Windows Experience Index test :S

Posted 10/20/2009 01:30 AM   
Hi!

I have the same problem, "Display driver stopped responding ..." error. This happens when I'm playing Team Fortress 2, but not always. It freezes randomly. The game freezes and I get black screen with last sound in loop. After 20s-30s everything works normal again. Otherwise TF2 works smooth, just this error is annoying. GPU temperature, when error happened, was 59°C. This error never happened in other games. I tried drivers 186.18, 191.07 and 195.55 beta, but nothing helps.

My specs:
- GFX: Geforce GTS 250
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
- RAM: Geil DDR2 2x2GB Ultra (6400, 800, 4-4-4-12)
- PSU: Corsair 650W
- GA-EP45-UD3LR Mothernoard
Hi!

I have the same problem, "Display driver stopped responding ..." error. This happens when I'm playing Team Fortress 2, but not always. It freezes randomly. The game freezes and I get black screen with last sound in loop. After 20s-30s everything works normal again. Otherwise TF2 works smooth, just this error is annoying. GPU temperature, when error happened, was 59°C. This error never happened in other games. I tried drivers 186.18, 191.07 and 195.55 beta, but nothing helps.

My specs:

- GFX: Geforce GTS 250

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

- RAM: Geil DDR2 2x2GB Ultra (6400, 800, 4-4-4-12)

- PSU: Corsair 650W

- GA-EP45-UD3LR Mothernoard

Posted 11/23/2009 01:20 AM   
Try driver 190.62 after you do uninstall of current driver through control panel then reboot to safe mode run drive sweeper 2.05 then install 190.62. I run 190.62 in safe mode then go into normal desktop and run setup.exe in c:/nvidia folder for 190.62.
Try driver 190.62 after you do uninstall of current driver through control panel then reboot to safe mode run drive sweeper 2.05 then install 190.62. I run 190.62 in safe mode then go into normal desktop and run setup.exe in c:/nvidia folder for 190.62.

Processor:Intel i7 CPU 3770K @ 3.50GHz
Memory:Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 16GIG
Hard Drive: MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB x 2(RAID0)
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Sli
Monitor:Vizio 37inch VOJ370F1A
Sound Card:Creative Sound Blaster X-FI titanium Fatal1ty/Headphones:Corsair Vengeance 1300
Keyboard:Logitech G19
Mouse:Razer Imperator Mouse Surface: Razer Mantis
Operating System:Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4-TH
Computer Case:IN WIN GRone
PSU PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 1200W

Posted 11/23/2009 01:38 AM   
What driver did your GPU come with?

I'm having to run 177.42 (came with GPU) because 191.07 failed to work (even on fresh OS) and the 190.38 which I was using crashes the same way /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

It's not the same issue... but sounds similar. The OS reinstall did nothing; other than eliminate some possible causes & mean I have to reinstall everything /yucky.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yucky:' />
What driver did your GPU come with?

I'm having to run 177.42 (came with GPU) because 191.07 failed to work (even on fresh OS) and the 190.38 which I was using crashes the same way /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

It's not the same issue... but sounds similar. The OS reinstall did nothing; other than eliminate some possible causes & mean I have to reinstall everything /yucky.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yucky:' />

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 11/23/2009 03:44 AM   
same prob here try 182 driver seemed ti work for me
same prob here try 182 driver seemed ti work for me

Posted 11/23/2009 08:54 AM   
I have the same problem "Display driver stopped responding" (Windows 7 64bit)
I have the same problem "Display driver stopped responding" (Windows 7 64bit)

Posted 11/23/2009 07:14 PM   
  1 / 7    
Scroll To Top