GeForce MX 420 drivers for Windows 7? 3 monitor setup not working under Windows 7.
Was running XP Pro SP3 and thought I would get with the current decade and try Windows 7. I have a 3 display setup running off a Dell D820 laptop docked on a Dell D-Dock. The laptop is running an NVidia Quadro NVS120. In the D-Dock is an NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 PCI card. This setup worked great on XP.

NVidia doesn't list a driver for Windows 7 for the MX 420 and I can not for the life of me get the 3rd monitor using that card to work. I suspect it's due to the old driver. Latest greatest driver for that card on the NVidia site is from 2006!!! There isn't even a Vista driver.

So am I crap out of luck? Do I need to get a new card in order to run Vista? If that's the case, any suggestion on a comparable, modern video card that does not require a ton of power to run? The D-Dock has a power limit of 5 volts according to the [url="http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/despestn/en/7u874eb1.htm#1102807"]documentation[/url]. It also requires a "half size" or smaller PCI card.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

J
Was running XP Pro SP3 and thought I would get with the current decade and try Windows 7. I have a 3 display setup running off a Dell D820 laptop docked on a Dell D-Dock. The laptop is running an NVidia Quadro NVS120. In the D-Dock is an NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 PCI card. This setup worked great on XP.

NVidia doesn't list a driver for Windows 7 for the MX 420 and I can not for the life of me get the 3rd monitor using that card to work. I suspect it's due to the old driver. Latest greatest driver for that card on the NVidia site is from 2006!!! There isn't even a Vista driver.

So am I crap out of luck? Do I need to get a new card in order to run Vista? If that's the case, any suggestion on a comparable, modern video card that does not require a ton of power to run? The D-Dock has a power limit of 5 volts according to the documentation. It also requires a "half size" or smaller PCI card.

J

Posted 10/14/2009 03:01 PM   
I've seen a fair number of GeForce 6200 low profile cards and they are usually pretty cheap. And you can even use the latest Win7 driver with a 6-series card. I'm not sure on the power consumption, but it should be fairly low, it's not a gamer card. I'm running a 6-series (6800 Ultra) with Win 7 RTM and the latest driver and it works great. Too bad that card draws a ton of power and isn't exactly silent...
I've seen a fair number of GeForce 6200 low profile cards and they are usually pretty cheap. And you can even use the latest Win7 driver with a 6-series card. I'm not sure on the power consumption, but it should be fairly low, it's not a gamer card. I'm running a 6-series (6800 Ultra) with Win 7 RTM and the latest driver and it works great. Too bad that card draws a ton of power and isn't exactly silent...

Posted 10/15/2009 07:16 PM   
[quote name='cbope' post='601480' date='Oct 15 2009, 03:16 PM']I've seen a fair number of GeForce 6200 low profile cards and they are usually pretty cheap. And you can even use the latest Win7 driver with a 6-series card. I'm not sure on the power consumption, but it should be fairly low, it's not a gamer card. I'm running a 6-series (6800 Ultra) with Win 7 RTM and the latest driver and it works great. Too bad that card draws a ton of power and isn't exactly silent...[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Are you by chance running this in the Dell D-Dock PD01X? I talked with Dell on a chat session. They offered to send me a list of compatible PCI video cards that support Windows 7. The next day they sent me an email saying they couldn't provide a list of ANY video cards that were known to be compatible with the D-Dock. I was pretty surprised. I also couldn't get a straight answer from them on how many watts the dock puts out. They did say that the dock itself gets all its power from the laptop.

In the dock's documentation it states a power limit of 5 watts for a PCI card. To my knowledge, NVidia doesn't list the power pulled by the cards, only total watts required by the power supply. The NVidia GeForce 4 MX420 requires a minimum of 250 watts and works fine so I can only look for cards based on their minimum power requirements. After talking with NVidia, they recommended the 8400GS which requires 300W. They recommended it solely on size and Windows 7 support.

So I basically have to roll the dice. Seems like all NVidia chipset cards out today are powerful gamer cards. I need a feeble business app level card with minimum bling that pushes a max of 1280 res which I hope translates to minimal power requirements and small form factor. I can't find any though.
[quote name='cbope' post='601480' date='Oct 15 2009, 03:16 PM']I've seen a fair number of GeForce 6200 low profile cards and they are usually pretty cheap. And you can even use the latest Win7 driver with a 6-series card. I'm not sure on the power consumption, but it should be fairly low, it's not a gamer card. I'm running a 6-series (6800 Ultra) with Win 7 RTM and the latest driver and it works great. Too bad that card draws a ton of power and isn't exactly silent...

Thanks for the response. Are you by chance running this in the Dell D-Dock PD01X? I talked with Dell on a chat session. They offered to send me a list of compatible PCI video cards that support Windows 7. The next day they sent me an email saying they couldn't provide a list of ANY video cards that were known to be compatible with the D-Dock. I was pretty surprised. I also couldn't get a straight answer from them on how many watts the dock puts out. They did say that the dock itself gets all its power from the laptop.

In the dock's documentation it states a power limit of 5 watts for a PCI card. To my knowledge, NVidia doesn't list the power pulled by the cards, only total watts required by the power supply. The NVidia GeForce 4 MX420 requires a minimum of 250 watts and works fine so I can only look for cards based on their minimum power requirements. After talking with NVidia, they recommended the 8400GS which requires 300W. They recommended it solely on size and Windows 7 support.

So I basically have to roll the dice. Seems like all NVidia chipset cards out today are powerful gamer cards. I need a feeble business app level card with minimum bling that pushes a max of 1280 res which I hope translates to minimal power requirements and small form factor. I can't find any though.

Posted 10/16/2009 12:57 PM   
[quote name='JMace' post='600836' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:01 AM']Was running XP Pro SP3 and thought I would get with the current decade and try Windows 7. I have a 3 display setup running off a Dell D820 laptop docked on a Dell D-Dock. The laptop is running an NVidia Quadro NVS120. In the D-Dock is an NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 PCI card. This setup worked great on XP.

So am I crap out of luck? Do I need to get a new card in order to run Vista? If that's the case, any suggestion on a comparable, modern video card that does not require a ton of power to run? The D-Dock has a power limit of 5 volts according to the [url="http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/despestn/en/7u874eb1.htm#1102807"]documentation[/url]. It also requires a "half size" or smaller PCI card.

J[/quote]

I have the same problem, I have a Compaq Presario 8000 withthe GForce MX 420 card. I looked all over for driviers for vista/win7 and finally found them from a third party, it recognizes my gfx card as a "Nvidia GForce MX 420 card for compaq now instead of "standard VGA graphics card".

Here is the link to drivers: [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1537"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1537[/url]

problem is I am not sure where it gets installed to so I just had it search my whole C: drive and it found it. Virus checked ok too..

Good luck!!

Jeff
[quote name='JMace' post='600836' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:01 AM']Was running XP Pro SP3 and thought I would get with the current decade and try Windows 7. I have a 3 display setup running off a Dell D820 laptop docked on a Dell D-Dock. The laptop is running an NVidia Quadro NVS120. In the D-Dock is an NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 PCI card. This setup worked great on XP.

So am I crap out of luck? Do I need to get a new card in order to run Vista? If that's the case, any suggestion on a comparable, modern video card that does not require a ton of power to run? The D-Dock has a power limit of 5 volts according to the documentation. It also requires a "half size" or smaller PCI card.

J

I have the same problem, I have a Compaq Presario 8000 withthe GForce MX 420 card. I looked all over for driviers for vista/win7 and finally found them from a third party, it recognizes my gfx card as a "Nvidia GForce MX 420 card for compaq now instead of "standard VGA graphics card".

Here is the link to drivers: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1537

problem is I am not sure where it gets installed to so I just had it search my whole C: drive and it found it. Virus checked ok too..

Good luck!!

Jeff

Posted 10/25/2009 03:15 PM   
Update...

After much research, I ended up buying an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card made by a company called Zotac ($38 on Newegg). I mention the manufacturer because the card is actually really well made. Very sturdy. Bought it based on the low height of the card made possible by the lack of fan and the relatively low power requirements of 250W which was what the MX420 required. Also, NVidia offers a Windows 7 32/64 bit driver for the card which I think is just the Vista driver.

After some initial challenges with the card's drivers not playing well with the latest NVS120 laptop card drivers (resource issue, code 43), the card is working very well. I just had to rollback the NVS120 driver to an older driver. I'm also running the 3rd monitor on the DVI out of the new card which is an added bene. No more analog. The NVidia Control Panel even shows all three displays. So I'm a happy camper.

Hope this info helps someone save some time figuring all this crap out.
Update...

After much research, I ended up buying an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card made by a company called Zotac ($38 on Newegg). I mention the manufacturer because the card is actually really well made. Very sturdy. Bought it based on the low height of the card made possible by the lack of fan and the relatively low power requirements of 250W which was what the MX420 required. Also, NVidia offers a Windows 7 32/64 bit driver for the card which I think is just the Vista driver.

After some initial challenges with the card's drivers not playing well with the latest NVS120 laptop card drivers (resource issue, code 43), the card is working very well. I just had to rollback the NVS120 driver to an older driver. I'm also running the 3rd monitor on the DVI out of the new card which is an added bene. No more analog. The NVidia Control Panel even shows all three displays. So I'm a happy camper.

Hope this info helps someone save some time figuring all this crap out.

Posted 10/26/2009 02:50 PM   
I originally had 4 monitors driven by an NVS 280 PCI under XP x64 on a Dell D830 (NVS140M) with D/Dock. Decided to upgrade to Win7 x64. Could not get the NVS 280 to play nice with the NVS140M on the laptop. I upgraded to the Zotac FX5200, but not much better luck. Getting Code 12 (not enough resources). Seems to conflict with the Intel 82801 PCI Bridge (Dev 2448) and Mobile Intel PM965 (Dev 2A01). If I start the the laptop in the docking station, both video cards disappear with Code 12 on 2448 and 2A01, but can still see video on one display (looks like VGA driver). If I start the laptop out of the dock, I get the NVS140M nice and clean, then hot dock and I can see the FX5200, but with a Code 12.
Current video driver: 186.81 (8.16.11.8681 in Device Mngr).

What driver did you use? I know you had the NVS120M, so you probably don't have any insights into the Code 12 with the NVS140M, but if you do, please suggest ideas.
Thanks.
I originally had 4 monitors driven by an NVS 280 PCI under XP x64 on a Dell D830 (NVS140M) with D/Dock. Decided to upgrade to Win7 x64. Could not get the NVS 280 to play nice with the NVS140M on the laptop. I upgraded to the Zotac FX5200, but not much better luck. Getting Code 12 (not enough resources). Seems to conflict with the Intel 82801 PCI Bridge (Dev 2448) and Mobile Intel PM965 (Dev 2A01). If I start the the laptop in the docking station, both video cards disappear with Code 12 on 2448 and 2A01, but can still see video on one display (looks like VGA driver). If I start the laptop out of the dock, I get the NVS140M nice and clean, then hot dock and I can see the FX5200, but with a Code 12.

What driver did you use? I know you had the NVS120M, so you probably don't have any insights into the Code 12 with the NVS140M, but if you do, please suggest ideas.

Thanks.

Posted 12/17/2009 04:35 AM   
[quote name='4mon' post='966239' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:35 AM']I originally had 4 monitors driven by an NVS 280 PCI under XP x64 on a Dell D830 (NVS140M) with D/Dock. Decided to upgrade to Win7 x64. Could not get the NVS 280 to play nice with the NVS140M on the laptop. I upgraded to the Zotac FX5200, but not much better luck. Getting Code 12 (not enough resources). Seems to conflict with the Intel 82801 PCI Bridge (Dev 2448) and Mobile Intel PM965 (Dev 2A01). If I start the the laptop in the docking station, both video cards disappear with Code 12 on 2448 and 2A01, but can still see video on one display (looks like VGA driver). If I start the laptop out of the dock, I get the NVS140M nice and clean, then hot dock and I can see the FX5200, but with a Code 12.

Thanks.[/quote]

That's a bummer. On the NVS120M, I'm using the 11/16/2007 - 7.15.11.5683 version driver. On the FX5200 I'm running the 10/9/2006 - 9.6.8.5 version driver. My memory is cloudy, but I'm pretty sure I was getting that Code 12 error with the card I was running on XP but was bombing in Win 7. Almost positive. Like I mentioned in my last post, I had issues with my current setup but I completely uninstalled the NVS120 driver leaving the latest greatest FX5200 driver alone. Then I rebooted and everything worked like a charm. In hindsight, I wondered if that same procedure would have got my old PCI card working.

Keep playing with those drivers. That combo should work. One would think you'd have an easier time considering it's a newer onboard vid card running newer drivers with a newer PCI vid card. The combo I'm running has been totally flawless.

Hope it works out.

Also, I'm not running the NView software at all. Just installed the drivers.
[quote name='4mon' post='966239' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:35 AM']I originally had 4 monitors driven by an NVS 280 PCI under XP x64 on a Dell D830 (NVS140M) with D/Dock. Decided to upgrade to Win7 x64. Could not get the NVS 280 to play nice with the NVS140M on the laptop. I upgraded to the Zotac FX5200, but not much better luck. Getting Code 12 (not enough resources). Seems to conflict with the Intel 82801 PCI Bridge (Dev 2448) and Mobile Intel PM965 (Dev 2A01). If I start the the laptop in the docking station, both video cards disappear with Code 12 on 2448 and 2A01, but can still see video on one display (looks like VGA driver). If I start the laptop out of the dock, I get the NVS140M nice and clean, then hot dock and I can see the FX5200, but with a Code 12.

Thanks.

That's a bummer. On the NVS120M, I'm using the 11/16/2007 - 7.15.11.5683 version driver. On the FX5200 I'm running the 10/9/2006 - 9.6.8.5 version driver. My memory is cloudy, but I'm pretty sure I was getting that Code 12 error with the card I was running on XP but was bombing in Win 7. Almost positive. Like I mentioned in my last post, I had issues with my current setup but I completely uninstalled the NVS120 driver leaving the latest greatest FX5200 driver alone. Then I rebooted and everything worked like a charm. In hindsight, I wondered if that same procedure would have got my old PCI card working.

Keep playing with those drivers. That combo should work. One would think you'd have an easier time considering it's a newer onboard vid card running newer drivers with a newer PCI vid card. The combo I'm running has been totally flawless.

Hope it works out.

Also, I'm not running the NView software at all. Just installed the drivers.

Posted 12/17/2009 02:07 PM   
Hi there!I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate x32.I had Windows XP previously, and before everything was running fine and my video card was working right.My video card is a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 and now when I go to the device manager it appears as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

I was not aware of this problem until I tried to play The Sims 2 and it told me my Video Card is not compatible.I know a little about computers,but this is something new to me.My Desktop is an HP Pavilion a410e.I'm looked all over on Nvidia and cannot find drivers anywhere.Any help would be very appreciated,thankyou ^^.
Hi there!I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate x32.I had Windows XP previously, and before everything was running fine and my video card was working right.My video card is a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 and now when I go to the device manager it appears as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

I was not aware of this problem until I tried to play The Sims 2 and it told me my Video Card is not compatible.I know a little about computers,but this is something new to me.My Desktop is an HP Pavilion a410e.I'm looked all over on Nvidia and cannot find drivers anywhere.Any help would be very appreciated,thankyou ^^.

Posted 01/29/2012 01:19 AM   
Try my suggestion here and see if it works for you: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=219809
Try my suggestion here and see if it works for you: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=219809

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K @4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD43 (Intel Z77 chipset)
Graphics: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 660 Ti @1019MHz)
RAM: 2 x 4GB Visipro PC3-12800 (1.5V @933MHz)
PSU: Seasonic Eco 600W SS-600BT Active PFC T3
Monitor: Asus VX239H (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 01/29/2012 11:47 AM   
Scroll To Top