Want energy efficient video card
I've noticed that power consumption requirements have skyrocketed over the last few years, and I outright refuse to buy a video card that takes up twice as much power as my CPU itself.

I'm looking for a video card that takes up less than 70 watts with the best performance per watt ratio. Does anybody know such a card?

Thank you kindly.
I've noticed that power consumption requirements have skyrocketed over the last few years, and I outright refuse to buy a video card that takes up twice as much power as my CPU itself.

I'm looking for a video card that takes up less than 70 watts with the best performance per watt ratio. Does anybody know such a card?

Thank you kindly.

Posted 09/20/2009 05:21 PM   
70 watts!? thats really low for a video card. Even an 8800GT can use over 100 watts idle. If your planning on using this for games your not going to find anything that will give you good performance under 70 watts. [url="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-3.html"]power consumption[/url] Heres a good list of all the latest video cards and how much power they draw.
70 watts!? thats really low for a video card. Even an 8800GT can use over 100 watts idle. If your planning on using this for games your not going to find anything that will give you good performance under 70 watts. power consumption Heres a good list of all the latest video cards and how much power they draw.

Posted 09/20/2009 11:02 PM   
[quote name='redsox123' post='590150' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:02 PM']70 watts!? thats really low for a video card. Even an 8800GT can use over 100 watts idle. If your planning on using this for games your not going to find anything that will give you good performance under 70 watts. [url="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-3.html"]power consumption[/url] Heres a good list of all the latest video cards and how much power they draw.[/quote]

I'm aware how much power they consume, but as for the cost: I live in Canada, barely use anything but my computer and 13W energy efficient room lights. Everything else runs from gas (heating, stove etc.) and it still comes to a $60 electric bill every month, and on top of everything else I seriously can NOT just casually have a 400 watt video card running all day. I don't really need high-end equipment anyway, I don't play games with sophisticated graphics that much.

I believe I asked for the best performance-per-watt video card there is. I'm not sure what aspect of the card defines its power but I believe it's FLOPS. So, which card achieves the most megaFLOPS per watt?
[quote name='redsox123' post='590150' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:02 PM']70 watts!? thats really low for a video card. Even an 8800GT can use over 100 watts idle. If your planning on using this for games your not going to find anything that will give you good performance under 70 watts. power consumption Heres a good list of all the latest video cards and how much power they draw.

I'm aware how much power they consume, but as for the cost: I live in Canada, barely use anything but my computer and 13W energy efficient room lights. Everything else runs from gas (heating, stove etc.) and it still comes to a $60 electric bill every month, and on top of everything else I seriously can NOT just casually have a 400 watt video card running all day. I don't really need high-end equipment anyway, I don't play games with sophisticated graphics that much.

I believe I asked for the best performance-per-watt video card there is. I'm not sure what aspect of the card defines its power but I believe it's FLOPS. So, which card achieves the most megaFLOPS per watt?

Posted 09/20/2009 11:41 PM   
If you go to the second page of that link [url="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-4.html"]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...wer,2122-4.html[/url] it shows how much they cost per year. Remember those numbers obviously do not include the rest of your system, just the graphics card.
If you go to the second page of that link http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...wer,2122-4.html it shows how much they cost per year. Remember those numbers obviously do not include the rest of your system, just the graphics card.

Posted 09/20/2009 11:50 PM   
Hi I appreciate the information you've given me about estimated costs and everything, but I have a different contract with my electric company and I guarantee you that running a high-end graphics card for 8 hours a day for a year would cost me much more than what says in that table. But again, this isn't what I'm asking for.

What I'd appreciate is a list of video cards, their power consumption and the amount of GFLOPS they are capable of doing, then hopefully I can sort thru which has the highest ratio a.k.a the greenest video card. I have seen cards with an equal TDP that have better/worse performance than the other. I'm no expert hence I'm asking here.

I hope this is clearer.
Hi I appreciate the information you've given me about estimated costs and everything, but I have a different contract with my electric company and I guarantee you that running a high-end graphics card for 8 hours a day for a year would cost me much more than what says in that table. But again, this isn't what I'm asking for.

What I'd appreciate is a list of video cards, their power consumption and the amount of GFLOPS they are capable of doing, then hopefully I can sort thru which has the highest ratio a.k.a the greenest video card. I have seen cards with an equal TDP that have better/worse performance than the other. I'm no expert hence I'm asking here.

I hope this is clearer.

Posted 09/21/2009 01:32 AM   
To my knowledge, the most power efficient card you can buy is ATI's HD4770. It has performance just trailing the GTS250 and HD4850 but uses less power than a 9600GT.
To my knowledge, the most power efficient card you can buy is ATI's HD4770. It has performance just trailing the GTS250 and HD4850 but uses less power than a 9600GT.

Posted 09/21/2009 06:08 AM   
Check out the Club3D 9600GT Green Edition, uses 59watt and can be used for gaming aswell.
[url="http://www.club3d.nl/products/products_ending_page_7_with_id.cfm?product_id=140"]http://www.club3d.nl/products/products_end...?product_id=140[/url]
Check out the Club3D 9600GT Green Edition, uses 59watt and can be used for gaming aswell.

http://www.club3d.nl/products/products_end...?product_id=140

I hate Vista!

Posted 09/21/2009 10:00 AM   
[quote name='theprofessor13' post='590254' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:08 AM']To my knowledge, the most power efficient card you can buy is ATI's HD4770. It has performance just trailing the GTS250 and HD4850 but uses less power than a 9600GT.[/quote]

Thanks theprofessor13 and iCore for your suggestions. I looked up ATI HD4770 and 9600GT on Wikipedia and finally found a table with power consumption and ALL its features, wow! It seems the 9600GT performs 312 gigaflops for 59 watts, which is 5.3 gigaflops per watt. And the ATI 4770 performs 960 for 80 watts, which is 12 gigaflos per watt, NICE! Even though I said I needed less than 70, but this will do fine considering it is twice as efficient than the green 9600 GT. I have a question, will the ATI graphics card use less power when it is idle, ergo when I'm not playing games or playing only 2D games? I heard Core technology shuts off some cores when not in use. Interesting stuff.

The only thing I am worried about right now is the fact that every video card I had in hisdtory has been an Nvidia card, so I'm a little scared of change right now. Will it work on my Intel computer? All that should matter is the type of slot, right?

Thanks for your help!
[quote name='theprofessor13' post='590254' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:08 AM']To my knowledge, the most power efficient card you can buy is ATI's HD4770. It has performance just trailing the GTS250 and HD4850 but uses less power than a 9600GT.

Thanks theprofessor13 and iCore for your suggestions. I looked up ATI HD4770 and 9600GT on Wikipedia and finally found a table with power consumption and ALL its features, wow! It seems the 9600GT performs 312 gigaflops for 59 watts, which is 5.3 gigaflops per watt. And the ATI 4770 performs 960 for 80 watts, which is 12 gigaflos per watt, NICE! Even though I said I needed less than 70, but this will do fine considering it is twice as efficient than the green 9600 GT. I have a question, will the ATI graphics card use less power when it is idle, ergo when I'm not playing games or playing only 2D games? I heard Core technology shuts off some cores when not in use. Interesting stuff.

The only thing I am worried about right now is the fact that every video card I had in hisdtory has been an Nvidia card, so I'm a little scared of change right now. Will it work on my Intel computer? All that should matter is the type of slot, right?

Thanks for your help!

Posted 09/21/2009 02:47 PM   
The HD4770 is for games, so i would recommend you to buy the 9600GT, wich is good for both gaming and seeing video and much more...
The HD4770 is for games, so i would recommend you to buy the 9600GT, wich is good for both gaming and seeing video and much more...

I hate Vista!

Posted 09/21/2009 04:06 PM   
[quote name='iCore' post='590412' date='Sep 21 2009, 04:06 PM']The HD4770 is for games, so i would recommend you to buy the 9600GT, wich is good for both gaming and seeing video and much more...[/quote]

ONLY for games? So some GPU-assisted programs that make use of the video card besides games would not benefit with the HD4770? I thought higher GFLOPS means faster general performance?

I do not play many new games that require a really good graphics card but I may start within a couple years when I have more free time, so I was thinking that the HD4770 would last me a while. If I buy the 9600 GT, wouldnt it get outdated fast? Or should I buy a 9600GT right now and wait for a future, even more efficient card similar to HD4770 which will be based on alien technology where it performs 10 terraflops while consuming no power? /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> Just kidding, but you get what I mean.
[quote name='iCore' post='590412' date='Sep 21 2009, 04:06 PM']The HD4770 is for games, so i would recommend you to buy the 9600GT, wich is good for both gaming and seeing video and much more...

ONLY for games? So some GPU-assisted programs that make use of the video card besides games would not benefit with the HD4770? I thought higher GFLOPS means faster general performance?

I do not play many new games that require a really good graphics card but I may start within a couple years when I have more free time, so I was thinking that the HD4770 would last me a while. If I buy the 9600 GT, wouldnt it get outdated fast? Or should I buy a 9600GT right now and wait for a future, even more efficient card similar to HD4770 which will be based on alien technology where it performs 10 terraflops while consuming no power? /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> Just kidding, but you get what I mean.

Posted 09/21/2009 04:53 PM   
what you want is hybrid SLI, which if i remember correctly can only be run on an amd 790 or 780 motherboard... basically you have your high end graphics card and also an onboard graphics card. when you are on desktop/browsing, the high end card is off. actually off. and you use the inbuilt one. load up a game and the high end card fires up. worth looking into.
what you want is hybrid SLI, which if i remember correctly can only be run on an amd 790 or 780 motherboard... basically you have your high end graphics card and also an onboard graphics card. when you are on desktop/browsing, the high end card is off. actually off. and you use the inbuilt one. load up a game and the high end card fires up. worth looking into.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 09/21/2009 05:37 PM   
[quote name='iCore' post='590412' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:06 AM']The HD4770 is for games, so i would recommend you to buy the 9600GT, wich is good for both gaming and seeing video and much more...[/quote]
You obviously have no idea how wrong what you just said is. ATI has a technology that matches nVidia's. nVidia has PureVideo, ATI has AVIVO. nVidia has CUDA, ATI has Stream. Etcetera. The only thing ATI doesn't have is PhysX.
[quote name='iCore' post='590412' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:06 AM']The HD4770 is for games, so i would recommend you to buy the 9600GT, wich is good for both gaming and seeing video and much more...

You obviously have no idea how wrong what you just said is. ATI has a technology that matches nVidia's. nVidia has PureVideo, ATI has AVIVO. nVidia has CUDA, ATI has Stream. Etcetera. The only thing ATI doesn't have is PhysX.

Posted 09/21/2009 09:51 PM   
any card you buy now will be outdated in a few years.
any card you buy now will be outdated in a few years.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 09/21/2009 10:10 PM   
[quote name='qazax' post='590556' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:10 PM']any card you buy now will be outdated in a few years.[/quote]

Thats not what I mean. For example, anyone would agree that 7600 GT is still a good video card that is sufficient for most purposes. It can play Blu-ray movies if your computer is fast enough. Although it may not play the latest games, I'm not really a power user. I'm something a little bit more than a casual gaming chick. From reading reviews, it seems the 9600 might be good enough for me for 3 or 4 years, just like the 7600 was good and continues to be good even now although I bought it 3 years ago. I'm not replacing it because it sucks though, but because I see that for the same amount of electricity invested in this card I can get many times the performance, which particularly gets my attention.

I'll buy the 9600 GT and maybe invest in the ATI HD4770 later when demand gets to that point. From what I see on the prices on ebay, the HD4770 is comparable in price to the 9600 GT despite being much faster, so it sounds like a good deal. Then again, this is ebay, I'm not sure how much they would cost in a computer store.

Thanks again guys *hugs all*
[quote name='qazax' post='590556' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:10 PM']any card you buy now will be outdated in a few years.

Thats not what I mean. For example, anyone would agree that 7600 GT is still a good video card that is sufficient for most purposes. It can play Blu-ray movies if your computer is fast enough. Although it may not play the latest games, I'm not really a power user. I'm something a little bit more than a casual gaming chick. From reading reviews, it seems the 9600 might be good enough for me for 3 or 4 years, just like the 7600 was good and continues to be good even now although I bought it 3 years ago. I'm not replacing it because it sucks though, but because I see that for the same amount of electricity invested in this card I can get many times the performance, which particularly gets my attention.

I'll buy the 9600 GT and maybe invest in the ATI HD4770 later when demand gets to that point. From what I see on the prices on ebay, the HD4770 is comparable in price to the 9600 GT despite being much faster, so it sounds like a good deal. Then again, this is ebay, I'm not sure how much they would cost in a computer store.

Thanks again guys *hugs all*

Posted 09/21/2009 11:45 PM   
Scroll To Top