Gothic I & II not working on Windows 7 RTM
  1 / 50    
Hello Guys & Girls,

I've registered here because two of my all-time-favorite-games seem to have a problem with the Windows 7 RTM combined with nVIDIA-Graphiccards.

If you start a new game in gothic II, there are no problems until you leave the tower of xardas and get a first look on the outside.
As soon as you see the outside you get a massive corruption of the graphics and also the framerate drops near to zero.
For me, it ends with a freezing screen, other people are reporting a BSOD.

A similar corruption happens also applies to Gothic I, here you see the nameless hero and diego about three times on the screen.

AT* and *ntel graphics are not involved. There, the games work flawlessly.

I tried many different drivers ( almost everyone before 190.38, then .38 whql and .56 beta also)
Also i tried the different compatiblity (sp?) modi.

So I hope some of you can help me with this problem.

My rig is the following:
Intel Core2Quad Q9550
Gainward GTX 285
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 RTM x64

It didnt work on my old rig too (E6600 + 8800GTS640)

I am gratefull for every advice that you can give me :)

Thanks a lot,
DaTraS
Hello Guys & Girls,

I've registered here because two of my all-time-favorite-games seem to have a problem with the Windows 7 RTM combined with nVIDIA-Graphiccards.

If you start a new game in gothic II, there are no problems until you leave the tower of xardas and get a first look on the outside.

As soon as you see the outside you get a massive corruption of the graphics and also the framerate drops near to zero.

For me, it ends with a freezing screen, other people are reporting a BSOD.

A similar corruption happens also applies to Gothic I, here you see the nameless hero and diego about three times on the screen.

AT* and *ntel graphics are not involved. There, the games work flawlessly.

I tried many different drivers ( almost everyone before 190.38, then .38 whql and .56 beta also)

Also i tried the different compatiblity (sp?) modi.

So I hope some of you can help me with this problem.

My rig is the following:

Intel Core2Quad Q9550

Gainward GTX 285

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 RTM x64

It didnt work on my old rig too (E6600 + 8800GTS640)

I am gratefull for every advice that you can give me :)

Thanks a lot,

DaTraS

Posted 08/14/2009 07:21 PM   
So you have done XP mode and maybe Windows 98 mode? That game is insanely old by todays standards. Admin Rights enabled? Game fully patched? Does the game run in Vista SP2 (the OS, not a compatiblity mode)?
So you have done XP mode and maybe Windows 98 mode? That game is insanely old by todays standards. Admin Rights enabled? Game fully patched? Does the game run in Vista SP2 (the OS, not a compatiblity mode)?

Posted 08/15/2009 11:15 AM   
[quote name='Hexen525' post='578610' date='Aug 15 2009, 12:15 PM']So you have done XP mode and maybe Windows 98 mode? That game is insanely old by todays standards. Admin Rights enabled? Game fully patched? Does the game run in Vista SP2 (the OS, not a compatiblity mode)?[/quote]

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Ok, just to get sure I tried following again:

- I also installed The Night of the Raven, with the latest patch 2.6 (german patch) - no effect.
- W98-Compatibility-Modus isnt working at all, it gives me an error message
- Every compatibility-modus above w98 works, but the corruption happens as stated above.
- I tried with admin privileges, without and even without UAC activated at all - no effect.
- I tried windowed mode and fullscreen mode - no effect.
- I dont have Vista currently installed, but it worked, i'm sure of it.

What I noticed is that the corruption starts as soon as you leave the tower and see the both torches left and right.

Maybe this helps?

I tried to get past the torches, but the problems remain. The screen goes all blue, you only see the shadow of the hero.
Also interesting: Even in windowed modus, when you go to the outside, the WHOLE SCREEN begins to flicker.

I also turned aero off.
[quote name='Hexen525' post='578610' date='Aug 15 2009, 12:15 PM']So you have done XP mode and maybe Windows 98 mode? That game is insanely old by todays standards. Admin Rights enabled? Game fully patched? Does the game run in Vista SP2 (the OS, not a compatiblity mode)?

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Ok, just to get sure I tried following again:

- I also installed The Night of the Raven, with the latest patch 2.6 (german patch) - no effect.

- W98-Compatibility-Modus isnt working at all, it gives me an error message

- Every compatibility-modus above w98 works, but the corruption happens as stated above.

- I tried with admin privileges, without and even without UAC activated at all - no effect.

- I tried windowed mode and fullscreen mode - no effect.

- I dont have Vista currently installed, but it worked, i'm sure of it.

What I noticed is that the corruption starts as soon as you leave the tower and see the both torches left and right.

Maybe this helps?

I tried to get past the torches, but the problems remain. The screen goes all blue, you only see the shadow of the hero.

Also interesting: Even in windowed modus, when you go to the outside, the WHOLE SCREEN begins to flicker.

I also turned aero off.

Posted 08/15/2009 12:00 PM   
Win 7 and Vista are a lot a like under the hood. If you say it worked in Vista, but not W7 (same drivers for both OSes)...I am of the mind it might be an OS conflict somewhere. While your W7 is RTM, it's far from finished. So it could be an issue with just the OS, or the way the OS and the video drivers communicate. Do you run any driver cleaner between driver installs?
Win 7 and Vista are a lot a like under the hood. If you say it worked in Vista, but not W7 (same drivers for both OSes)...I am of the mind it might be an OS conflict somewhere. While your W7 is RTM, it's far from finished. So it could be an issue with just the OS, or the way the OS and the video drivers communicate. Do you run any driver cleaner between driver installs?

Posted 08/15/2009 03:54 PM   
[quote name='Hexen525' post='578697' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:54 PM']Win 7 and Vista are a lot a like under the hood. If you say it worked in Vista, but not W7 (same drivers for both OSes)...I am of the mind it might be an OS conflict somewhere. While your W7 is RTM, it's far from finished. So it could be an issue with just the OS, or the way the OS and the video drivers communicate. Do you run any driver cleaner between driver installs?[/quote]
Thats something I think too, but i dont know either its only driver related or not. It makes me sad, that my 2 fav games aint workin. But i like Win7 alot now and i dont wont to install an extra os just for it.

Everytime i change the driver, i clean my system with the driver sweeper in save mode.
[quote name='Hexen525' post='578697' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:54 PM']Win 7 and Vista are a lot a like under the hood. If you say it worked in Vista, but not W7 (same drivers for both OSes)...I am of the mind it might be an OS conflict somewhere. While your W7 is RTM, it's far from finished. So it could be an issue with just the OS, or the way the OS and the video drivers communicate. Do you run any driver cleaner between driver installs?

Thats something I think too, but i dont know either its only driver related or not. It makes me sad, that my 2 fav games aint workin. But i like Win7 alot now and i dont wont to install an extra os just for it.

Everytime i change the driver, i clean my system with the driver sweeper in save mode.

Posted 08/15/2009 04:41 PM   
Same problem.Not working only with nvidia graphics cards.
Same problem.Not working only with nvidia graphics cards.

Posted 08/29/2009 09:02 AM   
Same problem...

Serious lags on open spaces and near water begin. Possibly problem at rendering textures sky and water structures with ANY version videodrivers.

On Windows Vista and XP these problems are not present!

Owners [b]Radeon[/b] video cards [b]do not[/b] this problems.

My Hardware:
Core2Duo E8500, GeForce 9800GTX (current drivers 190.62)
Same problem...

Serious lags on open spaces and near water begin. Possibly problem at rendering textures sky and water structures with ANY version videodrivers.

On Windows Vista and XP these problems are not present!

Owners Radeon video cards do not this problems.

My Hardware:

Core2Duo E8500, GeForce 9800GTX (current drivers 190.62)

Posted 09/12/2009 09:29 PM   
Same problem. Video driver crashes on open spaces.
Same problem. Video driver crashes on open spaces.

Posted 09/20/2009 08:54 AM   
I have the same situation. Please, resolve this problem as faster as you can.
I have the same situation. Please, resolve this problem as faster as you can.

Posted 09/28/2009 02:29 PM   
Same problem here, too. I managed to find a thread on the gog.com forums that gives all the details about the error. It also says that before the ForceWare Vista 100.59 (64-bit) driver, Gothic was running just fine. That was the last driver to be compatible with the first Gothic games.

So, here's the link: [url="http://www.gog.com/en/forum/gothic_series/game_crashes_when_going_outside/_/1"]http://www.gog.com/en/forum/gothic_series/...ing_outside/_/1[/url]

I hope some driver developing engineers will take a look and make Gothic games playable once again.
Same problem here, too. I managed to find a thread on the gog.com forums that gives all the details about the error. It also says that before the ForceWare Vista 100.59 (64-bit) driver, Gothic was running just fine. That was the last driver to be compatible with the first Gothic games.

So, here's the link: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/gothic_series/...ing_outside/_/1

I hope some driver developing engineers will take a look and make Gothic games playable once again.

Posted 10/03/2009 04:34 AM   
Same problem. /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

My Hardware:
Core2Duo E8400, GeForce GTS250 (current drivers 191.07)
Same problem. /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

My Hardware:

Core2Duo E8400, GeForce GTS250 (current drivers 191.07)

Posted 10/09/2009 06:05 AM   
Same problems, using GeForce 8800 GTS
Same problems, using GeForce 8800 GTS

Posted 10/10/2009 04:56 PM   
For my is working
I just change the compatibiliy at windows xp sp2 and disable visual themes.
For my is working

Posted 10/14/2009 01:35 PM   
[quote name='siedlik' post='600792' date='Oct 14 2009, 01:35 PM']For my is working
I just change the compatibiliy at windows xp sp2 and disable visual themes.[/quote]
What video card, version driver and other hardware (motherboard, processor, RAM size)
[quote name='siedlik' post='600792' date='Oct 14 2009, 01:35 PM']For my is working

What video card, version driver and other hardware (motherboard, processor, RAM size)

Posted 10/15/2009 06:48 AM   
I got same problem with Gothic I AND II

my system:

Intel E8500 2x 3.16Ghz
4 GB Kingston DD2 -1066
Geforce 9800 GTX+
Asus P5Ql-E

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

i got the latest nvidia driver for my graphic card.

please fix this problem.. a lot of people wait to play their favorite games again :)
I got same problem with Gothic I AND II

my system:

Intel E8500 2x 3.16Ghz

4 GB Kingston DD2 -1066

Geforce 9800 GTX+

Asus P5Ql-E

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

i got the latest nvidia driver for my graphic card.

please fix this problem.. a lot of people wait to play their favorite games again :)

Posted 11/07/2009 02:12 PM   
  1 / 50    
Scroll To Top