Nvidia Driver 190.38 is causing overheating!
I personally have a 9800 GTX+ XXX and I've noticed after I installed the new driver my fan speed caps at a certain speed and I can't override it. The speed is too low according to what Nvidia has as default. I did not see this issue in other topics, but hopefully it's not just me.
I personally have a 9800 GTX+ XXX and I've noticed after I installed the new driver my fan speed caps at a certain speed and I can't override it. The speed is too low according to what Nvidia has as default. I did not see this issue in other topics, but hopefully it's not just me.

Posted 08/01/2009 03:24 PM   
[quote name='iDuffman' post='572838' date='Aug 1 2009, 04:24 PM']I personally have a 9800 GTX+ XXX and I've noticed after I installed the new driver my fan speed caps at a certain speed and I can't override it. The speed is too low according to what Nvidia has as default. I did not see this issue in other topics, but hopefully it's not just me.[/quote]

I can confirm that there seems to be a serious problem with the fanspeed settings in this driver.
I got a Calibre (Sparkle) P888+ (8800gt) graphiccard and with installing the new 190.38 NVidia drivers i noticed that the GPU fanspeed settings are INVERTED!
If you install the Nvidia system tools 6.05 you are able to set the fanspeed of your graphiccard, which worked ok with the last 185.85 driver, but with the new one the settings are inverted. Means if you manually set it too 100% speed it runs slow and if you set it to 0% it runs at the highest speed.
My pc doesn't have problems with gpu temperatures, even at 30% fixed speed (the default setting of my card with 2 fans on it) it never got hotter as 62°C at full load so i only noticed the noise of the 2 fans on my card running at 70% all of a sudden now at automatic settings, but....

It's a SERIOUS issue for people who have really hot running graphiccards and their cards are set to automatically set the fanspeed by gpu temperature, cause with the current driver the hotter the GPU gets the slower the gpu fan runs which can cause in the destruction of the GPU.

The same thing happens btw if i set the fanspeed manually with Rivatuner, so it's a problem of the new Nvidia driver and not a problem of the Nvidia System tools or when i set a profile to automatically change the gpu fanspeed by gpu temperature with the System tools. I can only recommend everyone to install a program (i use Everest Ultimate) to check your GPU Fanspeeds and GPU temperatures yourself with a GPU stresstest program like Furmark to confirm this bug.

If this is true then you'll know why so many people confirm having bad crashes and problems with their pc's with this new driver version cause simply this driver causes their gpu fans to run slower at rising gpu temperatures which causes all the mayham with crashing games, bsod's and dead graphiccards.

[b]Update: strangely enough after todays pc restart everything is back to normal, the inverted effect is gone..
still strange..[/b]
[quote name='iDuffman' post='572838' date='Aug 1 2009, 04:24 PM']I personally have a 9800 GTX+ XXX and I've noticed after I installed the new driver my fan speed caps at a certain speed and I can't override it. The speed is too low according to what Nvidia has as default. I did not see this issue in other topics, but hopefully it's not just me.

I can confirm that there seems to be a serious problem with the fanspeed settings in this driver.

I got a Calibre (Sparkle) P888+ (8800gt) graphiccard and with installing the new 190.38 NVidia drivers i noticed that the GPU fanspeed settings are INVERTED!

If you install the Nvidia system tools 6.05 you are able to set the fanspeed of your graphiccard, which worked ok with the last 185.85 driver, but with the new one the settings are inverted. Means if you manually set it too 100% speed it runs slow and if you set it to 0% it runs at the highest speed.

My pc doesn't have problems with gpu temperatures, even at 30% fixed speed (the default setting of my card with 2 fans on it) it never got hotter as 62°C at full load so i only noticed the noise of the 2 fans on my card running at 70% all of a sudden now at automatic settings, but....

It's a SERIOUS issue for people who have really hot running graphiccards and their cards are set to automatically set the fanspeed by gpu temperature, cause with the current driver the hotter the GPU gets the slower the gpu fan runs which can cause in the destruction of the GPU.

The same thing happens btw if i set the fanspeed manually with Rivatuner, so it's a problem of the new Nvidia driver and not a problem of the Nvidia System tools or when i set a profile to automatically change the gpu fanspeed by gpu temperature with the System tools. I can only recommend everyone to install a program (i use Everest Ultimate) to check your GPU Fanspeeds and GPU temperatures yourself with a GPU stresstest program like Furmark to confirm this bug.

If this is true then you'll know why so many people confirm having bad crashes and problems with their pc's with this new driver version cause simply this driver causes their gpu fans to run slower at rising gpu temperatures which causes all the mayham with crashing games, bsod's and dead graphiccards.

Update: strangely enough after todays pc restart everything is back to normal, the inverted effect is gone..

still strange..

Posted 08/02/2009 08:14 AM   
confirmed on windows 7 x64 rc1. after installing the 190.38 drivers for my 9800gtx+, gpu fan stays at 100% after playing game until cold reset.
confirmed on windows 7 x64 rc1. after installing the 190.38 drivers for my 9800gtx+, gpu fan stays at 100% after playing game until cold reset.

Posted 08/02/2009 08:54 AM   
I have similar problem on my XFX 9800 GX2.

If I try turn off my card via Hybrid Power function (Save Power from statusbar), my fans stops, but [b]GPU IS STILL WORKING WITHOUT COOLING!!![/b] /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

I have Win7 x64 build 7600 RTM and ForceWare 190.38 WHQL (tried on Vista x64 and beta 190.40 drivers, but with no luck).

Latest working drivers was 186.18.

Please, can You fix this problem, coz it can seriously damage our cards!
I have similar problem on my XFX 9800 GX2.

If I try turn off my card via Hybrid Power function (Save Power from statusbar), my fans stops, but GPU IS STILL WORKING WITHOUT COOLING!!! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

I have Win7 x64 build 7600 RTM and ForceWare 190.38 WHQL (tried on Vista x64 and beta 190.40 drivers, but with no luck).

Latest working drivers was 186.18.

Please, can You fix this problem, coz it can seriously damage our cards!

Posted 08/03/2009 02:11 AM   
Scroll To Top