RunDLL - Error in NVCPL.DLL
So I went to reinstall some older video drivers cause whenever I alt tab from World of Warcraft to my desktop to look stuff up or check e-mail and I go to tab back in it would take forever (30s - 45s) to get back into the game. So I went back to the 185.15 drivers and the alt tab problem went away. Now when I boot my system if gives me the following error. If I use the 190.38 beta drivers the error doesn't show up but if I try to go back to 185.15 the error show up again.

RunDLL

Error in NVCPL.DLL
Missing entry:NvStartupRunOnFirstSessionUserAccount

I have been looking for the last 4 hours to see if I could find a fix for it with no luck. If anyone know how to fix this that would be great. I have tried going back to the new drivers again. I have tried uninstalling all nVidia drivers but with no luck every time I boot the error pops up.

Not sure if you will need this but here is some of the system specs...(fresh install 2 days ago for my OS)
Windows Vista 64 Ultimate
9800 GX2
EVGA X58
i7 920
Mushkin RAM - 6G
So I went to reinstall some older video drivers cause whenever I alt tab from World of Warcraft to my desktop to look stuff up or check e-mail and I go to tab back in it would take forever (30s - 45s) to get back into the game. So I went back to the 185.15 drivers and the alt tab problem went away. Now when I boot my system if gives me the following error. If I use the 190.38 beta drivers the error doesn't show up but if I try to go back to 185.15 the error show up again.

RunDLL

Error in NVCPL.DLL

I have been looking for the last 4 hours to see if I could find a fix for it with no luck. If anyone know how to fix this that would be great. I have tried going back to the new drivers again. I have tried uninstalling all nVidia drivers but with no luck every time I boot the error pops up.

Not sure if you will need this but here is some of the system specs...(fresh install 2 days ago for my OS)

9800 GX2

EVGA X58

i7 920

Mushkin RAM - 6G

Posted 07/20/2009 07:08 PM   
I have this error message every time I start/restart the computer.

"Error in NVCPL.DLL"
"Missing entry:NvStartupRunOnFirstSessionUserAccount"

Everything seems to work just fine and my graphic card has normal functionality.
I guess it has todo with some user specific settings in the nVidia control panel.

I also noticed something strange:
I tried installing the latest GeForce WHQL drivers downloaded from [url="http://www.nvidia.com"]http://www.nvidia.com[/url].
After updating the drivers Windows Vista gave me a notice about available Windows updates.
To be more exact Windows Update wanted to update the GeForce drivers (which I just updated)
Said and done, I let Windows update update the GeForce drivers, and after this, the mentioned error message appeared.

I tried reinstalling the drivers downloaded from nvidia and the mentioned error message are gone.
And now... windows update want to update the GeForce drivers... again!

Checking the version Windows update want to download: 186.35
Checking the version downloaded from nVidia.com: 190.38

Windows update actually want to downgrade the driver for some unknown reason, and fails, giving the mentioned error message after "downgrading.
It seems NVCPL.DLL are still version 190.38, while rest of the drivers are 186.35 after windows update.

I have done this to work around the faulty windows update:
1: I update/install the drivers downloaded from nVidia.com and reboot the computer just to be sure.
2: Once Windows update asks to update the GeForce drivers, I'll tell it to ignore the update (since it's a fail and a downgrade anyway)
3: I once again reboot the computer just to be extra sure that Windows update didn't do anything stupid behind my back.
4: From here on, I only update the graphic card drivers manually since Windows Update fails on this part.

EDIT: In your case, I guess you have to uninstall the drivers completely, reboot in VGA mode, clear out any leftovers from the old GeForce drivers (there are third party GeForce driver cleanup tools out there), then install the preferred version.
It's important to clean out old drivers before installing new ones when such DLL-errors occur, since it's a sign that there are a version mixup among the driver files. For instance NVCPL.DLL version 190.x doesn't have the function named "NvStartupRunOnFirstSessionUserAccount" anymore while other older files requests this function, causing windows to give the error message.
I have this error message every time I start/restart the computer.

"Error in NVCPL.DLL"

Everything seems to work just fine and my graphic card has normal functionality.

I guess it has todo with some user specific settings in the nVidia control panel.

I also noticed something strange:

I tried installing the latest GeForce WHQL drivers downloaded from http://www.nvidia.com.

After updating the drivers Windows Vista gave me a notice about available Windows updates.

To be more exact Windows Update wanted to update the GeForce drivers (which I just updated)

Said and done, I let Windows update update the GeForce drivers, and after this, the mentioned error message appeared.

I tried reinstalling the drivers downloaded from nvidia and the mentioned error message are gone.

And now... windows update want to update the GeForce drivers... again!

Checking the version Windows update want to download: 186.35

Checking the version downloaded from nVidia.com: 190.38

Windows update actually want to downgrade the driver for some unknown reason, and fails, giving the mentioned error message after "downgrading.

It seems NVCPL.DLL are still version 190.38, while rest of the drivers are 186.35 after windows update.

I have done this to work around the faulty windows update:

1: I update/install the drivers downloaded from nVidia.com and reboot the computer just to be sure.

2: Once Windows update asks to update the GeForce drivers, I'll tell it to ignore the update (since it's a fail and a downgrade anyway)

3: I once again reboot the computer just to be extra sure that Windows update didn't do anything stupid behind my back.

4: From here on, I only update the graphic card drivers manually since Windows Update fails on this part.

EDIT: In your case, I guess you have to uninstall the drivers completely, reboot in VGA mode, clear out any leftovers from the old GeForce drivers (there are third party GeForce driver cleanup tools out there), then install the preferred version.

It's important to clean out old drivers before installing new ones when such DLL-errors occur, since it's a sign that there are a version mixup among the driver files. For instance NVCPL.DLL version 190.x doesn't have the function named "NvStartupRunOnFirstSessionUserAccount" anymore while other older files requests this function, causing windows to give the error message.

Posted 07/28/2009 06:03 PM   
[quote name='Xcision' post='567750' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:08 PM']So I went to reinstall some older video drivers cause whenever I alt tab from World of Warcraft to my desktop to look stuff up or check e-mail and I go to tab back in it would take forever (30s - 45s) to get back into the game. So I went back to the 185.15 drivers and the alt tab problem went away. Now when I boot my system if gives me the following error. If I use the 190.38 beta drivers the error doesn't show up but if I try to go back to 185.15 the error show up again.

RunDLL

Error in NVCPL.DLL

9800 GX2
EVGA X58
i7 920
Mushkin RAM - 6G[/quote]

I'm having the same error

"Error in NVCPL.DLL"

Everything seems to be running fine but
I can't figure out what is causing it or how to get rid of it

system specs:
9800 GT
AMD 9600 Quad 2.3 Ghz
4gb Ram 6400
Windows 7 RC 64 ver 7100
[quote name='Xcision' post='567750' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:08 PM']So I went to reinstall some older video drivers cause whenever I alt tab from World of Warcraft to my desktop to look stuff up or check e-mail and I go to tab back in it would take forever (30s - 45s) to get back into the game. So I went back to the 185.15 drivers and the alt tab problem went away. Now when I boot my system if gives me the following error. If I use the 190.38 beta drivers the error doesn't show up but if I try to go back to 185.15 the error show up again.

RunDLL

Error in NVCPL.DLL

9800 GX2

EVGA X58

i7 920

Mushkin RAM - 6G

I'm having the same error

"Error in NVCPL.DLL"

Everything seems to be running fine but

I can't figure out what is causing it or how to get rid of it

system specs:

9800 GT

AMD 9600 Quad 2.3 Ghz

4gb Ram 6400

Windows 7 RC 64 ver 7100

Posted 07/31/2009 05:26 AM   
The error you are getting is form the first run of the nvidia Control panel. It is a registry key that is added to make sure the nvidia control panel starts at least once you know the little system trey icon. You can remove the registry key or uncheck the box in MSconfig or Autoruns. I would prefer anyone doing this use autoruns, it is a better choice. If you edit MSConfig directly you will disable system restore, since it will put the OS in a diagnostic mode. Autoruns will just edit the registry for you and its free.
[url="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx"]Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx[/url]

To fix this in autoruns:

1. Donwload the zip file from the link
2. Extract the files to a folder
3. Run autoruns.exe as administrator (win 7 and vista)
4. Click on the Logon tab
5. Uncheck the box for
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
NvCplDaemon NVIDIA Display Properties Extension NVIDIA Corporation c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll
6. Close the window and you should be good, next reboot you should not see the error.
The error you are getting is form the first run of the nvidia Control panel. It is a registry key that is added to make sure the nvidia control panel starts at least once you know the little system trey icon. You can remove the registry key or uncheck the box in MSconfig or Autoruns. I would prefer anyone doing this use autoruns, it is a better choice. If you edit MSConfig directly you will disable system restore, since it will put the OS in a diagnostic mode. Autoruns will just edit the registry for you and its free.

Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

To fix this in autoruns:

5. Uncheck the box for

NvCplDaemon NVIDIA Display Properties Extension NVIDIA Corporation c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll

6. Close the window and you should be good, next reboot you should not see the error.
Attachments

error.png

autoruns.png

Posted 08/12/2009 02:15 PM   
[quote name='x0dyssey' post='577367' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:15 PM']The error you are getting is form the first run of the nvidia Control panel. It is a registry key that is added to make sure the nvidia control panel starts at least once you know the little system trey icon. You can remove the registry key or uncheck the box in MSconfig or Autoruns. I would prefer anyone doing this use autoruns, it is a better choice. If you edit MSConfig directly you will disable system restore, since it will put the OS in a diagnostic mode. Autoruns will just edit the registry for you and its free.
[url="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx"]Autoruns: <a href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx" target="_blank">http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx[/url]</a>

To fix this in autoruns:

5. Uncheck the box for
6. Close the window and you should be good, next reboot you should not see the error.[/quote]

Hi....I have tried rolling back to the last version, I have tried downloading Autoruns and removing the the "tick" next to the NvCplDeamon but after start up Nvidia adds a new NvCplDeamon line in the registry so the error message persists. I have tried loading the original software from the CD that came with the GeForce 9600 cards and the exe screen says "dose not support this card". I have a real problem!!
Can anyone help get my system back to normal?
[quote name='x0dyssey' post='577367' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:15 PM']The error you are getting is form the first run of the nvidia Control panel. It is a registry key that is added to make sure the nvidia control panel starts at least once you know the little system trey icon. You can remove the registry key or uncheck the box in MSconfig or Autoruns. I would prefer anyone doing this use autoruns, it is a better choice. If you edit MSConfig directly you will disable system restore, since it will put the OS in a diagnostic mode. Autoruns will just edit the registry for you and its free.

Autoruns: <a href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx" target="_blank">http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx</a>

To fix this in autoruns:

5. Uncheck the box for

Hi....I have tried rolling back to the last version, I have tried downloading Autoruns and removing the the "tick" next to the NvCplDeamon but after start up Nvidia adds a new NvCplDeamon line in the registry so the error message persists. I have tried loading the original software from the CD that came with the GeForce 9600 cards and the exe screen says "dose not support this card". I have a real problem!!

Posted 10/03/2009 12:41 AM   
[quote name='FloppyAus' post='595678' date='Oct 2 2009, 07:41 PM']Hi....I have tried rolling back to the last version, I have tried downloading Autoruns and removing the the "tick" next to the NvCplDeamon but after start up Nvidia adds a new NvCplDeamon line in the registry so the error message persists. I have tried loading the original software from the CD that came with the GeForce 9600 cards and the exe screen says "dose not support this card". I have a real problem!!
Can anyone help get my system back to normal?[/quote]

I too have run into the same problem. I followed these directions to fix this in autoruns:

5. Uncheck the box for
6. Close the window

[size=5][color="#FF0000"]Help, ANYONE?[/color][/size]
[quote name='FloppyAus' post='595678' date='Oct 2 2009, 07:41 PM']Hi....I have tried rolling back to the last version, I have tried downloading Autoruns and removing the the "tick" next to the NvCplDeamon but after start up Nvidia adds a new NvCplDeamon line in the registry so the error message persists. I have tried loading the original software from the CD that came with the GeForce 9600 cards and the exe screen says "dose not support this card". I have a real problem!!

I too have run into the same problem. I followed these directions to fix this in autoruns:

5. Uncheck the box for

6. Close the window

Help, ANYONE?

Posted 01/12/2010 02:28 PM   
Here is the best explanation of a tdr.
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=65161&view=findpost&p=364602"]nvidia/forum.com[/url]

Download driver sweeper from guru3d.com
[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29-download-1655.html"]guru3d/driversweeper[/url]

Uninstall the old driver from windows safemode [f8] in the add remove programs. After it is uninstalled do not reboot, run driver sweeper. Cleaning all the Nvidia driver display files.
Reboot back into safemode and click on the driver you wish to install.
If this fails to clear the problem will need a detailed list of your system components. Including power supply make and watt output. Anything you can think of that may be causing this problem...
Here is the best explanation of a tdr.

nvidia/forum.com

guru3d/driversweeper

Uninstall the old driver from windows safemode [f8] in the add remove programs. After it is uninstalled do not reboot, run driver sweeper. Cleaning all the Nvidia driver display files.

If this fails to clear the problem will need a detailed list of your system components. Including power supply make and watt output. Anything you can think of that may be causing this problem...

Would you like SLI Support for your game?

nvidia.com_sli_request_form

Nvidia_SLI_Profile_Update#7_2011.03.01

Posted 01/13/2010 10:11 PM   
[quote name='DrFPS' post='980884' date='Jan 13 2010, 06:11 PM']Here is the best explanation of a tdr.
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=65161&view=findpost&p=364602"]nvidia/forum.com[/url]

[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29-download-1655.html"]guru3d/driversweeper[/url]

If this fails to clear the problem will need a detailed list of your system components. Including power supply make and watt output. Anything you can think of that may be causing this problem...[/quote]

Bravo! A convoluted solution but one that definitely does the trick.
I now will use the Driver Sweeper whenever I change or roll back a driver,
Sweet solution thanks.
TDH
[quote name='DrFPS' post='980884' date='Jan 13 2010, 06:11 PM']Here is the best explanation of a tdr.

nvidia/forum.com

guru3d/driversweeper

Bravo! A convoluted solution but one that definitely does the trick.

Sweet solution thanks.

TDH

Posted 05/21/2010 11:47 AM   
[quote name='TDHeller' post='1059323' date='May 21 2010, 04:47 AM']Bravo! A convoluted solution but one that definitely does the trick.
Sweet solution thanks.
TDH[/quote]

did anyone think about using the run command "msconfig" going to startup and unckecking the box for NvCplDemon ?

PS driver cleaner is a great tool to use also to remove old registery installs
[quote name='TDHeller' post='1059323' date='May 21 2010, 04:47 AM']Bravo! A convoluted solution but one that definitely does the trick.

Sweet solution thanks.

TDH

did anyone think about using the run command "msconfig" going to startup and unckecking the box for NvCplDemon ?

PS driver cleaner is a great tool to use also to remove old registery installs

Posted 06/06/2010 10:52 PM   
There are many different reasons for [url="http://filetonic.com/blog/2010/06/15/rundll-error-and-paretologic-software/"]rundll error[/url] . For example malware infection is one of the cause of rundll error.
There are many different reasons for rundll error . For example malware infection is one of the cause of rundll error.

Posted 10/28/2010 05:17 AM   
There are many different reasons for [url="http://filetonic.com/blog/2010/06/15/rundll-error-and-paretologic-software/"]rundll error[/url] . For example malware infection is one of the cause of rundll error.
There are many different reasons for rundll error . For example malware infection is one of the cause of rundll error.

Posted 10/28/2010 05:17 AM   
[color="#000000"][/color]I started getting the "Error in NVCPL.DLL" each time I restart my pc (10-15 seconds later).
The first thing I tried is to replace this dll file with a new one - what a mistake! I just downloaded this dll file from a site that I found and now it restarts OK, but now after I restart my pc, I get other red windows popup errors...the thing is that I didn't keep a backup of my original NVCPL.DLL, so I have no idea where to go from here (I consider using a [url="http://www.articlewritingclicks.com/Software/Pc_Health_Advisor_Free_License_Key__Look_What_I_found.html"]pc health advisor license key[/url] and see if it is able to solve the problem). Does anyone have other directions how to proceed from here?
[color="#000000"][/color]I started getting the "Error in NVCPL.DLL" each time I restart my pc (10-15 seconds later).

The first thing I tried is to replace this dll file with a new one - what a mistake! I just downloaded this dll file from a site that I found and now it restarts OK, but now after I restart my pc, I get other red windows popup errors...the thing is that I didn't keep a backup of my original NVCPL.DLL, so I have no idea where to go from here (I consider using a pc health advisor license key and see if it is able to solve the problem). Does anyone have other directions how to proceed from here?

Posted 06/20/2011 10:13 AM   
Never install DLL files from a website you don't know or trust. Scan your PC for malware in case it's infected (use decent AV software like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials/[url="http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper"]System Sweeper[/url]). Once you're reasonably certain it's clean, install the latest version of NVIDIA drivers. They will install the legitimate version of nvcpl.dll
Never install DLL files from a website you don't know or trust. Scan your PC for malware in case it's infected (use decent AV software like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials/System Sweeper). Once you're reasonably certain it's clean, install the latest version of NVIDIA drivers. They will install the legitimate version of nvcpl.dll

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 06/20/2011 10:53 AM   
Scroll To Top