Everquest 2 Hardware?
Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 420 and im a everquest 2 player, im looking for ways i could get improved framerates on EQ2 since they are very low at the moment could anyone help me please?

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell XPS420
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core(tm)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2393 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 02/01/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.20500"
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 3,069.32 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.21 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.18 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.16 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Im hopefully going to change my graphics card from (Nvidia GeForce 8800GT) to (Nvidia GeForce 9800GT)
Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 420 and im a everquest 2 player, im looking for ways i could get improved framerates on EQ2 since they are very low at the moment could anyone help me please?

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Dell XPS420

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core(tm)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2393 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 02/01/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.20500"

Time Zone GMT Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 3,069.32 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.21 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.18 GB

Available Virtual Memory 4.16 GB

Page File Space 3.29 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Im hopefully going to change my graphics card from (Nvidia GeForce 8800GT) to (Nvidia GeForce 9800GT)

Posted 07/20/2009 11:15 AM   
Save your money on the cards and get a faster CPU. EQ2 [b]LOVES[/b] CPU power. Besides, there isn't much difference in those cards /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' /> .

Some game settings to check:
Complex Shader Distance= Lower it to improve FPS and reduce CPU usage.
Reuse Vertex Buffers= Try it out, see if it helps. Works good on my 8800GTX /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> . Reduces studdering and skipping.
Water= Set all setting to Recommended.
Particle Effects= High (or lower), one per character, turn off the 2 check boxes for reflections.
Lighting= Turn max torches to 1, turn other lights to a max of 3, lower sliders on the others.
Shadows= Off, just off. This is [b]HEAVILY[/b] CPU dependent. Will drop a good system to it's knees.
Flora= Reduce Density and Distance for increased FPS.

Come back if that doesn't help enough or you would rather look for other options. Maybe we can see about tweaking your system a bit for more performance.

Oh, and use EQ2's ingame system monitor instead of FRAPS or anything else. Hit the F11 button.
Save your money on the cards and get a faster CPU. EQ2 LOVES CPU power. Besides, there isn't much difference in those cards /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' /> .

Some game settings to check:

Complex Shader Distance= Lower it to improve FPS and reduce CPU usage.

Reuse Vertex Buffers= Try it out, see if it helps. Works good on my 8800GTX /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> . Reduces studdering and skipping.

Water= Set all setting to Recommended.

Particle Effects= High (or lower), one per character, turn off the 2 check boxes for reflections.

Lighting= Turn max torches to 1, turn other lights to a max of 3, lower sliders on the others.

Shadows= Off, just off. This is HEAVILY CPU dependent. Will drop a good system to it's knees.

Flora= Reduce Density and Distance for increased FPS.

Come back if that doesn't help enough or you would rather look for other options. Maybe we can see about tweaking your system a bit for more performance.

Oh, and use EQ2's ingame system monitor instead of FRAPS or anything else. Hit the F11 button.

Posted 07/20/2009 09:32 PM   
Thanks i do seem to be getting better FPS 60 looking away from people and mid 30s looking at people better then 5 FPS hehehe. I have 4GB of memery and i only have Vista 32 bit would upgrading to 64bit help alot?.
Thanks i do seem to be getting better FPS 60 looking away from people and mid 30s looking at people better then 5 FPS hehehe. I have 4GB of memery and i only have Vista 32 bit would upgrading to 64bit help alot?.

Posted 07/20/2009 10:08 PM   
With 64-bit you can run on MAX textures for the top 2 options and medium for the LOD textures (Texture Resolution settings). I've gotten EQ2 to use [i]2.7GB of RAM by itself[/i], not including what the OS needs. Other than that, I've found no other benefits to a 64-bit OS with EQ2 (but that is a pretty kewl reason for the 64-bit OS, MAX textures look amazing).

There are other options to speed up performance too, but some lower game play (reduce Draw Distance) or affect realizm (reduce the number of high detail characters and watch the models change as you rotate the camara /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> ). You can reduce the animation distances for more FPS.

Hit the link for my system specs. I run EQ2 mostly cranked up, full shadows and all. I hit about 40fps cruising around. 20-25 in heavily populated areas. I ran SLI for a bit, no performance boost at all. Seems the 8800GTX is more than enough card for EQ2. But the faster my OC the more FPS I get in EQ2...to a point. Instead of 100% CPU usage 100% of the time, sometimes it actually runs around 80%. With bumps to 100% when needed. Mind you, I still have several settings to max out for the CPU.

Edit: Someone is cleaning out Fallen Gate and not taking any of the loot.
With 64-bit you can run on MAX textures for the top 2 options and medium for the LOD textures (Texture Resolution settings). I've gotten EQ2 to use 2.7GB of RAM by itself, not including what the OS needs. Other than that, I've found no other benefits to a 64-bit OS with EQ2 (but that is a pretty kewl reason for the 64-bit OS, MAX textures look amazing).

There are other options to speed up performance too, but some lower game play (reduce Draw Distance) or affect realizm (reduce the number of high detail characters and watch the models change as you rotate the camara /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> ). You can reduce the animation distances for more FPS.

Hit the link for my system specs. I run EQ2 mostly cranked up, full shadows and all. I hit about 40fps cruising around. 20-25 in heavily populated areas. I ran SLI for a bit, no performance boost at all. Seems the 8800GTX is more than enough card for EQ2. But the faster my OC the more FPS I get in EQ2...to a point. Instead of 100% CPU usage 100% of the time, sometimes it actually runs around 80%. With bumps to 100% when needed. Mind you, I still have several settings to max out for the CPU.

Edit: Someone is cleaning out Fallen Gate and not taking any of the loot.

Posted 07/20/2009 10:20 PM   
Hehe, my farther might let me swap PCs with his Crossfire ATI Graphics card and better CPU since he only plays plays WoW :P
Hehe, my farther might let me swap PCs with his Crossfire ATI Graphics card and better CPU since he only plays plays WoW :P

Posted 07/21/2009 06:11 AM   
Nice /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> . Keep in mind that Crossfire won't help EQ2 either. The game engine is CPU bound, not GPU bound.
Nice /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> . Keep in mind that Crossfire won't help EQ2 either. The game engine is CPU bound, not GPU bound.

Posted 07/21/2009 11:28 AM   
Scroll To Top