MacBook nForce NIC and VLAN
Hi Everyone,

I just purchassed a new MacBook 13 inches... Not the pro jst the MacBook.
In OS X, I am able to configure VLAN on the NIC, but in Windows, I am not....

Is there any software I need. I see that my NIC is a NVIDIS nForce 10/100/1000 MBps. But it's all the informations I have.

Thank you for you help !
Hi Everyone,

Is there any software I need. I see that my NIC is a NVIDIS nForce 10/100/1000 MBps. But it's all the informations I have.

Thank you for you help !

Posted 07/09/2009 08:54 PM   
[quote name='yield' post='563582' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:54 PM']NVIDIS nForce 10/100/1000 MBps.[/quote]

Where do you see this information at? If it is in the DEVICE MANAGER of WINDOWS, and there is no Yellow ! - then it is working, generally what happens is that the FIREWALL is enabled by default.
[quote name='yield' post='563582' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:54 PM']NVIDIS nForce 10/100/1000 MBps.

Where do you see this information at? If it is in the DEVICE MANAGER of WINDOWS, and there is no Yellow ! - then it is working, generally what happens is that the FIREWALL is enabled by default.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 07/09/2009 11:22 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='563625' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:22 PM']Where do you see this information at? If it is in the DEVICE MANAGER of WINDOWS, and there is no Yellow ! - then it is working, generally what happens is that the FIREWALL is enabled by default.[/quote]

The NIC is workin fine as a ''basic'' usage... The problem it to configure multiple VLAN... If I remember well, normally the NNIC driver should let you ''create virtual NIC'' and assign each of them in a specific VLAN... But I do not see that option anywhere...

This is not a problem of having a exclamation mark or a red X on my device..... It's really a VLAN configuration problem....

P.S : Thanks for your help anyway.
[quote name='Greybear' post='563625' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:22 PM']Where do you see this information at? If it is in the DEVICE MANAGER of WINDOWS, and there is no Yellow ! - then it is working, generally what happens is that the FIREWALL is enabled by default.

The NIC is workin fine as a ''basic'' usage... The problem it to configure multiple VLAN... If I remember well, normally the NNIC driver should let you ''create virtual NIC'' and assign each of them in a specific VLAN... But I do not see that option anywhere...

This is not a problem of having a exclamation mark or a red X on my device..... It's really a VLAN configuration problem....

P.S : Thanks for your help anyway.

Posted 07/10/2009 11:20 AM   
Is the VLAN Id and VLAN Support an option under the Advanced tab for the device? If not, DL a few earlier versions of the Driver packages. Once unpacked, update the Lan driver manually pointing to the unpacked driver.

Sometimes when they update the drivers they leave out some of the available options.
Is the VLAN Id and VLAN Support an option under the Advanced tab for the device? If not, DL a few earlier versions of the Driver packages. Once unpacked, update the Lan driver manually pointing to the unpacked driver.

Sometimes when they update the drivers they leave out some of the available options.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 07/10/2009 11:53 AM   
Yes, Actually, in the properties of the NIC, where you can set the FLOW controll and MAC address for exampe, there is a VLAN option...
I did test it and works, however, I can only configure one VLAN at the time... And what I need is ton have multiple VLAN configure at the same time to access multiple part of our network....

I did installed some updates driver from NVidia, it added a ''network'' sub menu in the NVidia Video Card controll pannel, but it disseapers after finding that the driver is not ok for my card....
Verry weird...
Yes, Actually, in the properties of the NIC, where you can set the FLOW controll and MAC address for exampe, there is a VLAN option...

I did test it and works, however, I can only configure one VLAN at the time... And what I need is ton have multiple VLAN configure at the same time to access multiple part of our network....

I did installed some updates driver from NVidia, it added a ''network'' sub menu in the NVidia Video Card controll pannel, but it disseapers after finding that the driver is not ok for my card....

Verry weird...

Posted 07/10/2009 01:28 PM   
[quote name='yield' post='563845' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:28 AM']Yes, Actually, in the properties of the NIC, where you can set the FLOW controll and MAC address for exampe, there is a VLAN option...

Verry weird...[/quote]

I just checked back and I did download what I beleive to be the latest driver : 20.14_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe
It ask me to install forceware Network acess manager... And I do...
Hoewever, I don't find any application of that name on my machine after the install....

I am starting to be verry upset about this... I meand, in OS X, the VLAN support work's out of the box... But on Windows, I don't find anything....
Seriously, I considering to return the damm box...
[quote name='yield' post='563845' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:28 AM']Yes, Actually, in the properties of the NIC, where you can set the FLOW controll and MAC address for exampe, there is a VLAN option...

Verry weird...

I just checked back and I did download what I beleive to be the latest driver : 20.14_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe

It ask me to install forceware Network acess manager... And I do...

Hoewever, I don't find any application of that name on my machine after the install....

I am starting to be verry upset about this... I meand, in OS X, the VLAN support work's out of the box... But on Windows, I don't find anything....

Seriously, I considering to return the damm box...

Posted 07/10/2009 02:23 PM   
Here is what I want to do : [url="http://screencast.com/t/fJBMWrckmbE"]http://screencast.com/t/fJBMWrckmbE[/url]

However, I want to do it while I boot Windows on my MacBook 13''.
Here is what I want to do : http://screencast.com/t/fJBMWrckmbE

However, I want to do it while I boot Windows on my MacBook 13''.

Posted 07/10/2009 09:28 PM   
Oddly enough, I found similar discussions going back to 2007, so this may be a problem with the nVidia driver / Windows OS.
Oddly enough, I found similar discussions going back to 2007, so this may be a problem with the nVidia driver / Windows OS.

Posted 07/11/2009 12:38 AM   
If this is still a problem... That is a big problem to me.... I would tough Apple would have make something for that...
They ''updates'' from YOUKON Marvell chipset to NVidia lately, and this is what we have...

This is my first Intel based Apple machine, and to be honnest, so far, I'm pissed off... /censored.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':censored:' />

Sorry for that... lol....
If this is still a problem... That is a big problem to me.... I would tough Apple would have make something for that...

They ''updates'' from YOUKON Marvell chipset to NVidia lately, and this is what we have...

This is my first Intel based Apple machine, and to be honnest, so far, I'm pissed off... /censored.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':censored:' />

Sorry for that... lol....

Posted 07/11/2009 12:07 PM   
I do not understand your anger.

[quote]I just purchassed a new MacBook 13 inches... Not the pro jst the MacBook.
In OS X, I am able to configure VLAN on the NIC, but in Windows, I am not....[/quote]

If you bought an APPLE and it runs the OS X, then you got what you truely paid for, an Intel Based Apple that works as sold.

Running Windows on an APPLE machine is an Added value parameter. And, if your APPLE and my PC both have the same issue, then it is more likely that it is working as should be. There actually may be another program that is needed to do what your wanting. That was one good thing about APPLE OS is that they had to toss in everything they could to get users to like them over PC.

It is my understanding that the reason for the Intel based APPLE transition is:
1) Cheaper cost to manufacture, meaning higher profit for Apple.
2) More powerful with higher speeds
3) Universal compatibility
4) Increased Sales for those wanting Apples but needing True Windows for specific programs
I do not understand your anger.

If you bought an APPLE and it runs the OS X, then you got what you truely paid for, an Intel Based Apple that works as sold.

Running Windows on an APPLE machine is an Added value parameter. And, if your APPLE and my PC both have the same issue, then it is more likely that it is working as should be. There actually may be another program that is needed to do what your wanting. That was one good thing about APPLE OS is that they had to toss in everything they could to get users to like them over PC.

It is my understanding that the reason for the Intel based APPLE transition is:

1) Cheaper cost to manufacture, meaning higher profit for Apple.

2) More powerful with higher speeds

3) Universal compatibility

4) Increased Sales for those wanting Apples but needing True Windows for specific programs

Posted 07/11/2009 01:49 PM   
Scroll To Top