Nvidia nforce networking controller not working, code 10
Hi Guys,

I am just building my system. I first installed Windows 7 64-bit, everything seemed fine apart from the nforce ethernet ports not working. I could see the LAN ports in device manager as "Nvidia nforce networking controller #1 and #2. But on Controller #2 it had exclaimation mark and said that this device cannot start (code 10). I downloaded the latest 790i ultra chipset drivers v 15.35 released on, May 11 2009 for windows 7 64bit after removing the old one but still no luck.

I then tried installing Windows XP Pro 64-bit but still the same problem. I also tried the latest chipset driver for Winxp64 15.25 which were released on March 16 2009 but no joy. It says on one of Nvidia nforce network controller that it cannot start (code 10). The other controller seems fine without any error messages but when i plug my LAN cable to any of the port, nothing happens. It doesnt even try to get an IP Address. I have checked the cable and router as when i connect my laptop to the same cable it gets an IP address successfully. I have also tried installing Winxp pro x86 but still getting the same problem.

Can someone PLEASE HELP!
Hi Guys,

I am just building my system. I first installed Windows 7 64-bit, everything seemed fine apart from the nforce ethernet ports not working. I could see the LAN ports in device manager as "Nvidia nforce networking controller #1 and #2. But on Controller #2 it had exclaimation mark and said that this device cannot start (code 10). I downloaded the latest 790i ultra chipset drivers v 15.35 released on, May 11 2009 for windows 7 64bit after removing the old one but still no luck.

I then tried installing Windows XP Pro 64-bit but still the same problem. I also tried the latest chipset driver for Winxp64 15.25 which were released on March 16 2009 but no joy. It says on one of Nvidia nforce network controller that it cannot start (code 10). The other controller seems fine without any error messages but when i plug my LAN cable to any of the port, nothing happens. It doesnt even try to get an IP Address. I have checked the cable and router as when i connect my laptop to the same cable it gets an IP address successfully. I have also tried installing Winxp pro x86 but still getting the same problem.

Can someone PLEASE HELP!

Posted 07/03/2009 11:15 PM   
With all that info, I do not see 1 mention of any of the hardware being used other than a 790 chipset.

Also, XP is not WIN 7. VISTA is more compatible with it.
With all that info, I do not see 1 mention of any of the hardware being used other than a 790 chipset.

Also, XP is not WIN 7. VISTA is more compatible with it.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 07/03/2009 11:38 PM   
Sorry my bad :"> i have Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard with Intel Q9550 CPU and Geforce 8800GTS GPU. Its only after trying the chipset drivers on the original Asus driver cd i decided to try the latest drivers. The OS i have tried so far is Windows 7 ultimate x64, windows xp pro x64 and windows xp pro x86 SP2 and it does exactly the same thing everytime.
Sorry my bad :"> i have Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard with Intel Q9550 CPU and Geforce 8800GTS GPU. Its only after trying the chipset drivers on the original Asus driver cd i decided to try the latest drivers. The OS i have tried so far is Windows 7 ultimate x64, windows xp pro x64 and windows xp pro x86 SP2 and it does exactly the same thing everytime.

Posted 07/04/2009 01:23 AM   
Try using the Vista version of drivers. Disconnect the Optical drive that is not listed either :)

I was expecting a little more hardware, was thinking there was a PCI device that was forcing a bad IRQ placement. Are you using the latest BIOS for this board? If so, It may be a bad board.

Generally before Ill install a board in the case, I build it outside the case to make sure it all works. Will not even connect the case wiring until after the second build in the case and verification it still works.

If nothing seems to work, pull it from the case and reinstall one more time with hte least hardware possible, and see if its still the same, then RMA.
Try using the Vista version of drivers. Disconnect the Optical drive that is not listed either :)

I was expecting a little more hardware, was thinking there was a PCI device that was forcing a bad IRQ placement. Are you using the latest BIOS for this board? If so, It may be a bad board.

Generally before Ill install a board in the case, I build it outside the case to make sure it all works. Will not even connect the case wiring until after the second build in the case and verification it still works.

If nothing seems to work, pull it from the case and reinstall one more time with hte least hardware possible, and see if its still the same, then RMA.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 07/04/2009 01:31 AM   
Thanks for your quick reply Grey. I find it hard to believe that i can only run Vista with this board if thats the case then i will most likely RMA it, but i am also still awaiting reply from Asus themselves aswell but as you know they take few days to reply :angry: . i will try with Vista x64 now to see if that makes my LAN ports work otherwise ill just wait for Asus to reply back...whenever they do. :( but if you can think of anything else then please let me know. I really cant wait to get started on my this new PC....
Thanks for your quick reply Grey. I find it hard to believe that i can only run Vista with this board if thats the case then i will most likely RMA it, but i am also still awaiting reply from Asus themselves aswell but as you know they take few days to reply :angry: . i will try with Vista x64 now to see if that makes my LAN ports work otherwise ill just wait for Asus to reply back...whenever they do. :( but if you can think of anything else then please let me know. I really cant wait to get started on my this new PC....

Posted 07/04/2009 02:07 AM   
Ah one more thing that i forgot to mention which i thing might be useful information here. When i install windows 7 x64, it detects one the ethernet ports like the other OS ( one port shows fine in device manager and the other has exclaimation mark but this one doesnt even show under network connections) but this is the only OS so far that actually tries to get an IP address when i plug the LAN cable to it but then after trying few times it just put exclaimation mark on the connection saying unidentified network.... I know my router works fine cus i have my other laptop connected through LAN to it.
Ah one more thing that i forgot to mention which i thing might be useful information here. When i install windows 7 x64, it detects one the ethernet ports like the other OS ( one port shows fine in device manager and the other has exclaimation mark but this one doesnt even show under network connections) but this is the only OS so far that actually tries to get an IP address when i plug the LAN cable to it but then after trying few times it just put exclaimation mark on the connection saying unidentified network.... I know my router works fine cus i have my other laptop connected through LAN to it.

Posted 07/04/2009 02:11 AM   
So Vista worked without issue? When I said its not XP, I just meant Win 7 and VISTA are close enough that they share the same drivers - using XP drivers can corrupt it. So, DL older VISTA Drivers and try them.

It could be that it needs a new BIOS for Win 7. In the BIOS is there a Plug and Play OS option? If so, switch the option and then reinstall and see if that changes it.
So Vista worked without issue? When I said its not XP, I just meant Win 7 and VISTA are close enough that they share the same drivers - using XP drivers can corrupt it. So, DL older VISTA Drivers and try them.

It could be that it needs a new BIOS for Win 7. In the BIOS is there a Plug and Play OS option? If so, switch the option and then reinstall and see if that changes it.

Posted 07/04/2009 02:11 AM   
Yes, there is a plug&play OS option in BIOS. I will try re-installing it with that enabled and ill let you know.
Yes, there is a plug&play OS option in BIOS. I will try re-installing it with that enabled and ill let you know.

Posted 07/04/2009 10:54 AM   
I just tried installing windows7 x64 with plug & play option enabled in BIOS but still no luck /no.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no:' /> and Asus has replied back asking me to RMA the board. Thats the only reply i get from them everytime i get problem with board, they just ask me to RMA without trying anything first :angry: /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
I just tried installing windows7 x64 with plug & play option enabled in BIOS but still no luck /no.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no:' /> and Asus has replied back asking me to RMA the board. Thats the only reply i get from them everytime i get problem with board, they just ask me to RMA without trying anything first :angry: /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 07/04/2009 12:02 PM   
Mark the outer edge of the board with a blue marker in a pattern. Small and discrete, that way you know if they returned the same board.
Mark the outer edge of the board with a blue marker in a pattern. Small and discrete, that way you know if they returned the same board.

Posted 07/04/2009 02:13 PM   
Scroll To Top