The nvlddmkm error - What is it? An FYI for those seeing this issue
  40 / 40    
Your computer is probably not as old as mine, dragothica. I bought it brand new in April of 2008 (see my signature for details). A couple months ago I had to replace my graphics card, a 1 GB Galaxy 210 because it died on me. When I ran a diagnostic test on it I got a "5300:0119 failure while reading and writing video memory" error. So time for a new card! I replaced it with the PNY GT 710 card. I keep getting this nvlddmkm error that some are getting. It shows up as LiveKernelEvent code 141 in problem report viewing. So far updating and rolling back drivers has not worked, and I've even RMA'd the thing and got a replacement 710. No change. It seems we will have to wait for a software update, either for the drivers from NVIDIA or Windows 10 from Microsoft. I don't have the Duet Display that is mentioned elsewhere in this forum.
Your computer is probably not as old as mine, dragothica. I bought it brand new in April of 2008 (see my signature for details). A couple months ago I had to replace my graphics card, a 1 GB Galaxy 210 because it died on me. When I ran a diagnostic test on it I got a "5300:0119 failure while reading and writing video memory" error. So time for a new card!

I replaced it with the PNY GT 710 card. I keep getting this nvlddmkm error that some are getting. It shows up as LiveKernelEvent code 141 in problem report viewing. So far updating and rolling back drivers has not worked, and I've even RMA'd the thing and got a replacement 710. No change. It seems we will have to wait for a software update, either for the drivers from NVIDIA or Windows 10 from Microsoft. I don't have the Duet Display that is mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

Graphics card: PNY GeForce GT 710 2GB DDR3 (Driver version 388.13)
Windows 10 Home Version: 1709 (OS Build 16299.125) 64-bit
Computer: Dell XPS 420
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 3.16GHz 1333 FSB w/ 6MB cache
RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800 MHz
Monitor: Dell E248WFP (DVI input)
Hard Drive: 750GB Serial ATA2 7200rpm
BIOS Mode: Legacy
Secure Boot State: Unsupported
Web browser: Google Chrome (63.0.3239.108)
Power Supply Unit: 375W

Posted 07/04/2017 01:11 AM   
So I did a fresh Windows 10 install (Reset PC with delete everything on System Drive). Everything looked fine after installation for couple of days until I started to get nvlddmkm error again. The issue is similar as earlier, screens just go black during gaming sessions. Only this time I see a ton (hundreds) of copies of this error in Event Viewer! Each error is level 13 (pretty sure that is a Windows thing), but on the error report I always see "Graphics Exeption [Insert Error Code] with various different codes within the tags. I'm pretty sure the issue is on the GPU itself, not just drivers getting crazy. At least the PC is not Blue-screening or anything, but this is kind of depressing anyway. There are so many different errors in the log, that I don't know which are more critical than others, which of them should I paste here.
So I did a fresh Windows 10 install (Reset PC with delete everything on System Drive). Everything looked fine after installation for couple of days until I started to get nvlddmkm error again. The issue is similar as earlier, screens just go black during gaming sessions. Only this time I see a ton (hundreds) of copies of this error in Event Viewer!

Each error is level 13 (pretty sure that is a Windows thing), but on the error report I always see "Graphics Exeption [Insert Error Code] with various different codes within the tags. I'm pretty sure the issue is on the GPU itself, not just drivers getting crazy. At least the PC is not Blue-screening or anything, but this is kind of depressing anyway.

There are so many different errors in the log, that I don't know which are more critical than others, which of them should I paste here.

Posted 07/22/2017 07:00 PM   
Having this error frequently (at least 2+ times a day). Games minimize to the tray after the screen goes dark for a second. Sound and everything is fine, but I'm unable to access anything until the game is force closed (usually via signing out). I've uninstalled and reinstalled windows and drivers...nothing has worked so far. (also checked temperatures etc.) Windows 10 i76700k 980ti Z-170A
Having this error frequently (at least 2+ times a day). Games minimize to the tray after the screen goes dark for a second. Sound and everything is fine, but I'm unable to access anything until the game is force closed (usually via signing out).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled windows and drivers...nothing has worked so far.

(also checked temperatures etc.)

Windows 10
i76700k
980ti
Z-170A

Posted 07/24/2017 05:59 PM   
Please, someone help. I started getting this message a couple of days ago, ONLY when downloading through Steam, and possibly another launcher. Not sure if standard torrenting has the same effect. Everything would be fine until I downloaded a random amount of gigabytes, then suddenly the computer starts hanging for a second every couple of seconds, followed by a black screen if I kept Steam on, and then the "driver stopped working blah blah" message we all love. Shutting down steam does NOT prevent the constant loop of hanging and working, closing down any number of processes seems to do nothing and according to task manager, the memory and CPU is no longer taxed if it was too much before, yet still it just keeps hanging periodically. This does not happen when playing games, even under max settings, ONLY when downloading, and even then, seemingly only through Steam.
Please, someone help. I started getting this message a couple of days ago, ONLY when downloading through Steam, and possibly another launcher. Not sure if standard torrenting has the same effect.

Everything would be fine until I downloaded a random amount of gigabytes, then suddenly the computer starts hanging for a second every couple of seconds, followed by a black screen if I kept Steam on, and then the "driver stopped working blah blah" message we all love. Shutting down steam does NOT prevent the constant loop of hanging and working, closing down any number of processes seems to do nothing and according to task manager, the memory and CPU is no longer taxed if it was too much before, yet still it just keeps hanging periodically.

This does not happen when playing games, even under max settings, ONLY when downloading, and even then, seemingly only through Steam.

Posted 09/20/2017 05:19 PM   
Check your drives smart status check your DRAM voltages and timings Check your VCCIO / QPI voltage Check the storage driver hasn't suddenly randomly updated. Do a memtest
Check your drives smart status
check your DRAM voltages and timings
Check your VCCIO / QPI voltage
Check the storage driver hasn't suddenly randomly updated.

Do a memtest

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 09/21/2017 02:23 AM   
hi guys I have experienced tens of freezes that recover and now total freezes that require a pc reset, Ctrl alt del does not work its only recently that i discovered that NVLDDMKM.sys was the cause of several BSOD, i delete the driver and all Nvidia bits , I thought, but came across this file nvlddmkm.sys and other that have a time stamp of 14/7/2009 driver version 185.93 file version 8.15.11.8593 which require a trustedinstaller to make change what can i do ???
hi guys I have experienced tens of freezes that recover and now total freezes that require a pc reset, Ctrl alt del does not work

its only recently that i discovered that NVLDDMKM.sys was the cause of several BSOD, i delete the driver and all Nvidia bits , I thought, but came across this file nvlddmkm.sys and other that have a time stamp of
14/7/2009 driver version 185.93 file version 8.15.11.8593
which require a trustedinstaller to make change

what can i do ???

Posted 11/05/2017 06:21 AM   
hi guys I have experienced tens of freezes that recover and now total freezes that require a pc reset, Ctrl alt del does not work its only recently that i discovered that NVLDDMKM.sys was the cause of several BSOD, i delete the driver and all Nvidia bits , I thought, but came across this file nvlddmkm.sys and other that have a time stamp of 14/7/2009 driver version 185.93 file version 8.15.11.8593 which require a trustedinstaller to make change what can i do ???
hi guys I have experienced tens of freezes that recover and now total freezes that require a pc reset, Ctrl alt del does not work

its only recently that i discovered that NVLDDMKM.sys was the cause of several BSOD, i delete the driver and all Nvidia bits , I thought, but came across this file nvlddmkm.sys and other that have a time stamp of
14/7/2009 driver version 185.93 file version 8.15.11.8593
which require a trustedinstaller to make change

what can i do ???

Posted 11/05/2017 06:21 AM   
stop cross posting ffs.
stop cross posting ffs.

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP

Posted 11/05/2017 08:58 AM   
[quote="Byrna5"][quote="Byrna5"][quote="sl33py"]I just found the root cause of this issue in my girlfriends PC. It was giving the error just on the desktop, no load or gaming needed. I put in some old RAM and it was fine. Then put in one of the two new sticks that were in it... fine for another whole day... then swapped that stick for the other new one... BAM, crashed in literally two minutes. I'd previously tried pretty much all the other fixes short of modifying the voltages in the GPU BIOS. Prior to the RAM, I'd found that leaving the NVIDIA drivers uninstalled worked perfectly fine. But ones you installed them, the trouble started. Thought I'd join this forum just to post this cos I know it's bugging the hell out of a lot of people. A problem in RAM can affect pretty much any function of the PC. I'm not surprised this problem is so widespread, and that people are having such trouble identifying it. Good luck![/quote][/quote] This is interesting! I have an older but partially upgraded PC. Basically, I get the msg from Windows 7x64 Pro, on the desktop, without even launching a game! It happens when surfing internet, just logging in and opening Norton Security with backup(version 22.9.1.12, from 2017). It happens on the desktop, and only ONCE in Sid Meier's Civilization game-I don't remember if it was Civ V or Civ VI though but I have both. It always has the same file in the memory dump as the cause, which is mentioned in the subject of this post. My system does not have any other errors except this one. Also, I don't play any games for now, on Win7x64 nor Win10 x64 except Civ 5 and 6 in Win 7. I am going to try to learn a much more "heavy duty" game - XPlane, which is a flight simulator but I haven't installed it yet. Here are some basics from my system specs: *CPU INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650 *Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe wifi AP@n, Intel X38 chipset (from 2008) **PCIe 2.0, not 3 which is what the graphics card has. *Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce 1050Ti 4GB Windforce OC (NOT overclocked) *RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS DDR3 (8GB total) *Sound card: ASUS Xonar DX *Power supply: NEW CoolerMaster V650 semi-modular 650-Watts GOLD, 80% PLUS efficiency purchased in Fall 2016) *Hard drives: 1xWestern Digital Blue 320GB SATA 2, 1xWDC Black 500GB SATA 2, 1xWDC Black 500GB SATA 3 *NVidia driver version: 378.78 - not the latest but this happened even with older NVidia drivers. Utilities: IOLO System Mechanic, Norton Security Premium 2017 (v22.x ), I am ONLY running the "Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming Engine" program. So what's interesting is that I have played literally HOURS and HOURS of Civilization 5 and 6 (the latest) and no crashes at all, except once. The one crash was many games ago and has not recurred. But since this problem happens in new systems too, it is probably not related to PSU (mine is new and more than enough as far as I can see from Gigabyte's specs) I am stumped as many of you are. Especially since the recovery of the graphics driver/adapter by Windows happens almost only before any game is launched. ALSO - it NEVER happens in Windows 10 desktop. I have not used any games yet on Windows 10 x64 pro, but I will update when I start using X-Plant flight simulator. NOTE: I had an AMD (ATI) graphics card before this one, until December 2016 - it was a HD5770 series by Sapphire and NEVER had any crashes, even using Microsoft Flight Simulator X.[/quote] My system is very similar and I just started getting this issue. It happens on the desktop, when web browsing. Is it something to do with me using a gsync display at the same time as a non-gsync display? Or is the system just too weak to keep up somehow? My main PC is temporarily out of use, so I've been having to use my old rig. It's been fine for months, but yesterday I replaced the ATI card I was using (Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB) for a 1080 and started using a new GSYNC monitor. I used DDU in safe-mode before putting the 1080 in. *OS: Win 7 x64 Home *Boot drive: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB (74GB free space) *CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 (overclocked to 3GHz) *Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe wifi AP@n, Intel X38 chipset, PCIE 2.0 *GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus *RAM: 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 (VS2GB1333D3) *PSU: Antec Quattro TruePower 850W *Display 1: ViewSonic XG2703-GS (connected via Display Port) *Display 2: Dell SP2309W (connected via DVI) I'm using High Performance power plan in Windows control panel and "Prefer maximum performance" in nvidia settings. Also changed Monitor Tech to "Fixed Refresh".
Byrna5 said:
Byrna5 said:
sl33py said:I just found the root cause of this issue in my girlfriends PC. It was giving the error just on the desktop, no load or gaming needed. I put in some old RAM and it was fine. Then put in one of the two new sticks that were in it... fine for another whole day... then swapped that stick for the other new one... BAM, crashed in literally two minutes. I'd previously tried pretty much all the other fixes short of modifying the voltages in the GPU BIOS. Prior to the RAM, I'd found that leaving the NVIDIA drivers uninstalled worked perfectly fine. But ones you installed them, the trouble started.

Thought I'd join this forum just to post this cos I know it's bugging the hell out of a lot of people.
A problem in RAM can affect pretty much any function of the PC. I'm not surprised this problem is so widespread, and that people are having such trouble identifying it. Good luck!

This is interesting! I have an older but partially upgraded PC. Basically, I get the msg from Windows 7x64 Pro, on the desktop, without even launching a game! It happens when surfing internet, just logging in and opening Norton Security with backup(version 22.9.1.12, from 2017). It happens on the desktop, and only ONCE in Sid Meier's Civilization game-I don't remember if it was Civ V or Civ VI though but I have both. It always has the same file in the memory dump as the cause, which is mentioned in the subject of this post. My system does not have any other errors except this one. Also, I don't play any games for now, on Win7x64 nor Win10 x64 except Civ 5 and 6 in Win 7. I am going to try to learn a much more "heavy duty" game - XPlane, which is a flight simulator but I haven't installed it yet.

Here are some basics from my system specs:
*CPU INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650
*Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe wifi AP@n, Intel X38 chipset (from 2008) **PCIe 2.0, not 3 which is what the graphics card has.
*Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce 1050Ti 4GB Windforce OC (NOT overclocked)
*RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS DDR3 (8GB total)
*Sound card: ASUS Xonar DX
*Power supply: NEW CoolerMaster V650 semi-modular 650-Watts GOLD, 80% PLUS efficiency purchased in Fall 2016)
*Hard drives: 1xWestern Digital Blue 320GB SATA 2, 1xWDC Black 500GB SATA 2, 1xWDC Black 500GB SATA 3

*NVidia driver version: 378.78 - not the latest but this happened even with older NVidia drivers.

Utilities: IOLO System Mechanic, Norton Security Premium 2017 (v22.x ), I am ONLY running the "Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming Engine" program.

So what's interesting is that I have played literally HOURS and HOURS of Civilization 5 and 6 (the latest) and no crashes at all, except once. The one crash was many games ago and has not recurred.

But since this problem happens in new systems too, it is probably not related to PSU (mine is new and more than enough as far as I can see from Gigabyte's specs)

I am stumped as many of you are. Especially since the recovery of the graphics driver/adapter by Windows happens almost only before any game is launched.

ALSO - it NEVER happens in Windows 10 desktop. I have not used any games yet on Windows 10 x64 pro, but I will update when I start using X-Plant flight simulator.

NOTE: I had an AMD (ATI) graphics card before this one, until December 2016 - it was a HD5770 series by Sapphire and NEVER had any crashes, even using Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

My system is very similar and I just started getting this issue. It happens on the desktop, when web browsing. Is it something to do with me using a gsync display at the same time as a non-gsync display? Or is the system just too weak to keep up somehow?

My main PC is temporarily out of use, so I've been having to use my old rig. It's been fine for months, but yesterday I replaced the ATI card I was using (Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB) for a 1080 and started using a new GSYNC monitor. I used DDU in safe-mode before putting the 1080 in.

*Boot drive: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB (74GB free space)
*CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 (overclocked to 3GHz)
*Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe wifi AP@n, Intel X38 chipset, PCIE 2.0
*GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus
*RAM: 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 (VS2GB1333D3)
*PSU: Antec Quattro TruePower 850W
*Display 1: ViewSonic XG2703-GS (connected via Display Port)
*Display 2: Dell SP2309W (connected via DVI)

I'm using High Performance power plan in Windows control panel and "Prefer maximum performance" in nvidia settings. Also changed Monitor Tech to "Fixed Refresh".

Posted 12/04/2017 10:11 PM   
jury is actually out on whether its gsync related, but you're not alone, as of 387/388, i have also begun getting TDR's in firefox when scrolling image heavy sites. Return to 385.4x or .69 and see if the issue is resolved. if it is, post in the win7 tdr tracking thread i posted. we're gunna need to get nvidia some dump files from various systems.
jury is actually out on whether its gsync related, but you're not alone, as of 387/388, i have also begun getting TDR's in firefox when scrolling image heavy sites.

Return to 385.4x or .69 and see if the issue is resolved. if it is, post in the win7 tdr tracking thread i posted. we're gunna need to get nvidia some dump files from various systems.

Specs:

WIP:

Posted 12/05/2017 12:50 AM   
Just got this BSOD for the first time ever...reinstalled and upated drivers, lets see if it worked.
Just got this BSOD for the first time ever...reinstalled and upated drivers, lets see if it worked.

Posted 12/05/2017 04:30 AM   
  40 / 40    
Scroll To Top