The nvlddmkm error - What is it? An FYI for those seeing this issue
  2 / 40    
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596462' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:19 AM']SO 85oC is too high for a 8400 GS to be gaming?....so you think my GPU fan died?, IF so how do i fix it?, do i have to buy a new card or can i just replace the GPU fan?

And BTW my 9600M GT runs at like 89oC but its normal for that, becasue its a laptop card...right?

thnx guys...how hot do your desktop cards get while gaming? right now its 72oC on idle (after playing bf2).[/quote]

As Qazax said, 85 is okay; at load. High 90's like you are reporting are too high. Personally I would also be very concerned if my card was anywhere near 70 when idle.

If your GPU fan was not working at all I would expect temperatures to be even worse than they are.

Turn off computer and check airflow everywhere... Ensure all your case fans are not obscured by cables/dust. Check graphics card itself for dust, and if you can, clean everywhere properly.

Once you have made sure everything is clean and un-restricted, power everything back up and check out your temperatures. If you are still running too hot, download EVGA Precision and run this... you can use this to increase your graphics card fan speed, and set this to auto-apply when your computer boots. Remember whatever fan speed you set must be suitable for load & at idle. Test temps and come back to us :)

In quad SLI my GPU's run somewhere between 45-55. They can reach the 80's when at heavy load, but thats when the fan speed automatically increases. I did touch 95 degrees once, but that was with all four GPU's heavily overclocked, and the fans cranked themselves up to 100% to compensate... that did worry me a little, hence I won't be OC'ing them that far again unless I watercool them. If my GPU's were hitting 100 degrees, i'd be hitting the power button.

J
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596462' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:19 AM']SO 85oC is too high for a 8400 GS to be gaming?....so you think my GPU fan died?, IF so how do i fix it?, do i have to buy a new card or can i just replace the GPU fan?

And BTW my 9600M GT runs at like 89oC but its normal for that, becasue its a laptop card...right?

thnx guys...how hot do your desktop cards get while gaming? right now its 72oC on idle (after playing bf2).

As Qazax said, 85 is okay; at load. High 90's like you are reporting are too high. Personally I would also be very concerned if my card was anywhere near 70 when idle.

If your GPU fan was not working at all I would expect temperatures to be even worse than they are.

Turn off computer and check airflow everywhere... Ensure all your case fans are not obscured by cables/dust. Check graphics card itself for dust, and if you can, clean everywhere properly.

Once you have made sure everything is clean and un-restricted, power everything back up and check out your temperatures. If you are still running too hot, download EVGA Precision and run this... you can use this to increase your graphics card fan speed, and set this to auto-apply when your computer boots. Remember whatever fan speed you set must be suitable for load & at idle. Test temps and come back to us :)

In quad SLI my GPU's run somewhere between 45-55. They can reach the 80's when at heavy load, but thats when the fan speed automatically increases. I did touch 95 degrees once, but that was with all four GPU's heavily overclocked, and the fans cranked themselves up to 100% to compensate... that did worry me a little, hence I won't be OC'ing them that far again unless I watercool them. If my GPU's were hitting 100 degrees, i'd be hitting the power button.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards

Minima: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87, Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x Intel 730k 480GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x GTX Titan X, 1x GTX 750 Ti, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 10 64bit.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor, Logitech G9X mouse, Corsair Vengeance keyboard.

Feel free to PM me if I don't follow-up on a thread that I have responded to.

Community Moderator - not employed by NVIDIA.

Posted 10/05/2009 07:05 AM   
[quote name='jimbonbon' post='596471' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:05 PM']As Qazax said, 85 is okay; at load. High 90's like you are reporting are too high. Personally I would also be very concerned if my card was anywhere near 70 when idle.

J[/quote]

I ran furmark, and it worked for once without my driver crashing....I got 79 min....although i can get 69oC min. The max i went up to was 106oC, then i closed it as 105oC is the max nvidia said it would go up to, and i dont want to damage the card....I ran furmark again after restarting and it crashed my driver and got a BSOD....

I opened up my case, and there is a lot of dust in my GPU, just its gona be really hard to vacumme all of it casue thereare alot of cables and i dont want to knock anything out of place...Is vacumming a good idea?--I did it once, but not thouroughly...any suggestions--this card never used to overheat...so therefore dust build up could be the problem.
[quote name='jimbonbon' post='596471' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:05 PM']As Qazax said, 85 is okay; at load. High 90's like you are reporting are too high. Personally I would also be very concerned if my card was anywhere near 70 when idle.

J

I ran furmark, and it worked for once without my driver crashing....I got 79 min....although i can get 69oC min. The max i went up to was 106oC, then i closed it as 105oC is the max nvidia said it would go up to, and i dont want to damage the card....I ran furmark again after restarting and it crashed my driver and got a BSOD....

I opened up my case, and there is a lot of dust in my GPU, just its gona be really hard to vacumme all of it casue thereare alot of cables and i dont want to knock anything out of place...Is vacumming a good idea?--I did it once, but not thouroughly...any suggestions--this card never used to overheat...so therefore dust build up could be the problem.

Posted 10/05/2009 07:48 AM   
it is currently at 68oC, after coming back from stand-by
it is currently at 68oC, after coming back from stand-by

Posted 10/05/2009 08:19 AM   
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596477' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:48 AM']I ran furmark, and it worked for once without my driver crashing....I got 79 min....although i can get 69oC min. The max i went up to was 106oC, then i closed it as 105oC is the max nvidia said it would go up to, and i dont want to damage the card....I ran furmark again after restarting and it crashed my driver and got a BSOD....

I opened up my case, and there is a lot of dust in my GPU, just its gona be really hard to vacumme all of it casue thereare alot of cables and i dont want to knock anything out of place...Is vacumming a good idea?--I did it once, but not thouroughly...any suggestions--this card never used to overheat...so therefore dust build up could be the problem.[/quote]

[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596485' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:19 AM']it is currently at 68oC, after coming back from stand-by[/quote]

Dust sounds like it is your issue, that way too hot!

Vacuuming is a tricky one... it can produce a LOT of static, which could potentially cause damage toany electrical component... worst thing you can do is use a hoover with a nylon brush on the end of it! Your best bet it to take the card out, and use a brush (not nylon brush!) to brush the dust /off out and hoover it from near the card as/after you brush it off. Compressed air is a very good one for cleaning graphics card out, and a good essential to have around at home for cleaning out your computer. otherwise you can dismantle the card and do it that way; but you need to be careful doing this, and have the correct pads/paste to re-apply, and you might not know what these are till you start taking it apart.

If you can, remove the case fans too, and clean these off. Make sure there are no cables in front of the fans when you put them back in that might block airflow. Look for general dust buildup in the case too, and try to remove this. ITs always worth seeing if you can increase the case fan speeds too from the BIOS to improve the general airflow.

J
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596477' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:48 AM']I ran furmark, and it worked for once without my driver crashing....I got 79 min....although i can get 69oC min. The max i went up to was 106oC, then i closed it as 105oC is the max nvidia said it would go up to, and i dont want to damage the card....I ran furmark again after restarting and it crashed my driver and got a BSOD....

[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596485' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:19 AM']it is currently at 68oC, after coming back from stand-by

Dust sounds like it is your issue, that way too hot!

Vacuuming is a tricky one... it can produce a LOT of static, which could potentially cause damage toany electrical component... worst thing you can do is use a hoover with a nylon brush on the end of it! Your best bet it to take the card out, and use a brush (not nylon brush!) to brush the dust /off out and hoover it from near the card as/after you brush it off. Compressed air is a very good one for cleaning graphics card out, and a good essential to have around at home for cleaning out your computer. otherwise you can dismantle the card and do it that way; but you need to be careful doing this, and have the correct pads/paste to re-apply, and you might not know what these are till you start taking it apart.

If you can, remove the case fans too, and clean these off. Make sure there are no cables in front of the fans when you put them back in that might block airflow. Look for general dust buildup in the case too, and try to remove this. ITs always worth seeing if you can increase the case fan speeds too from the BIOS to improve the general airflow.

J

Minima: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87, Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x Intel 730k 480GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x GTX Titan X, 1x GTX 750 Ti, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 10 64bit.

Posted 10/05/2009 08:47 AM   
I really do not want to start taking things apart....and if i vacumme i will not use a nylon brish, i will just use the air flow to get dust....I am a computer type of person, i know the different componenets of a computer and where they are, It just i never taken apart a coputer before, and I one of those guys that takes something apart, puts it back then it doesn't work....So thats why i'm trying to avoid taking the thing apart....

And the worst part is, that if i spend 2 hours cleaning this thing for dust and then it still overheats It would just be a waste of time.....Does dust casue cod waw and cod 4 and bf 2 to sometimes lockup and display as purple and green pictures?
I really do not want to start taking things apart....and if i vacumme i will not use a nylon brish, i will just use the air flow to get dust....I am a computer type of person, i know the different componenets of a computer and where they are, It just i never taken apart a coputer before, and I one of those guys that takes something apart, puts it back then it doesn't work....So thats why i'm trying to avoid taking the thing apart....

And the worst part is, that if i spend 2 hours cleaning this thing for dust and then it still overheats It would just be a waste of time.....Does dust casue cod waw and cod 4 and bf 2 to sometimes lockup and display as purple and green pictures?

Posted 10/05/2009 09:07 AM   
How come like 89oC is not hot for a laptop card?, how the hell does a 9600M GT keep cooler than my 8400 GS desktop card??? Whenever i play a game on my laptop the fans go to about 80- 100%...The 8400 GS fan is small, and under it it is covered in dust....I have never overclocked or change any fan speeds....everything has be default...its a hp a6160a, and has 2 gb ram. its not a massive case, but its not a tiny case either....
How come like 89oC is not hot for a laptop card?, how the hell does a 9600M GT keep cooler than my 8400 GS desktop card??? Whenever i play a game on my laptop the fans go to about 80- 100%...The 8400 GS fan is small, and under it it is covered in dust....I have never overclocked or change any fan speeds....everything has be default...its a hp a6160a, and has 2 gb ram. its not a massive case, but its not a tiny case either....

Posted 10/05/2009 09:30 AM   
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596499' date='Oct 5 2009, 10:07 AM']I really do not want to start taking things apart....and if i vacumme i will not use a nylon brish, i will just use the air flow to get dust....I am a computer type of person, i know the different componenets of a computer and where they are, It just i never taken apart a coputer before, and I one of those guys that takes something apart, puts it back then it doesn't work....So thats why i'm trying to avoid taking the thing apart....

And the worst part is, that if i spend 2 hours cleaning this thing for dust and then it still overheats It would just be a waste of time.....Does dust casue cod waw and cod 4 and bf 2 to sometimes lockup and display as purple and green pictures?[/quote]

Fair enough, avoid taking it apart if you can. Just remember to remove all power before taken things out.

Dust is a major cause of overheating, and overheating can produce the kind of problems you are experiencing. So can a damaged component however... so we will have to hope it is purely the overheating causing your issues, and that the overheating has done no permanent damage.

The reason you started seeing the nvlddmkm.sys errors is probably because you were frying the GPU and it was unable to work correctly; hence the graphical errors, and Windows resetting the GPU.

2 hours is worth it; otherwise you'll be buying a new graphics card! Make sure your gpu fan is spinning smoothly with no resistance, and as I said, if cleaning the graphics card doesnt entirely resolve your issues then look at increasing its fan speed & your case fan speeds.

Just a favour; can you please create a separate topic if you require more help... as per this original thread i posted; its too complicated if everyone puts their problems in this thread, the info I posted is purely as an FYI, and already in the TDR sticky in the GeForce drivers section. Thanks!

J
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596499' date='Oct 5 2009, 10:07 AM']I really do not want to start taking things apart....and if i vacumme i will not use a nylon brish, i will just use the air flow to get dust....I am a computer type of person, i know the different componenets of a computer and where they are, It just i never taken apart a coputer before, and I one of those guys that takes something apart, puts it back then it doesn't work....So thats why i'm trying to avoid taking the thing apart....

Fair enough, avoid taking it apart if you can. Just remember to remove all power before taken things out.

Dust is a major cause of overheating, and overheating can produce the kind of problems you are experiencing. So can a damaged component however... so we will have to hope it is purely the overheating causing your issues, and that the overheating has done no permanent damage.

The reason you started seeing the nvlddmkm.sys errors is probably because you were frying the GPU and it was unable to work correctly; hence the graphical errors, and Windows resetting the GPU.

2 hours is worth it; otherwise you'll be buying a new graphics card! Make sure your gpu fan is spinning smoothly with no resistance, and as I said, if cleaning the graphics card doesnt entirely resolve your issues then look at increasing its fan speed & your case fan speeds.

Just a favour; can you please create a separate topic if you require more help... as per this original thread i posted; its too complicated if everyone puts their problems in this thread, the info I posted is purely as an FYI, and already in the TDR sticky in the GeForce drivers section. Thanks!

J

Posted 10/05/2009 09:37 AM   
ok will do., thx mate,

Yes my GPU fan is spinning well, i will clean it ok i'll get back to you on here or if i didnt work i will make another thread...ok bye thx again., shouldn't need to increase fan speeds as this computer could play games perfectly well, before this "dust" problem occured.
ok will do., thx mate,

Yes my GPU fan is spinning well, i will clean it ok i'll get back to you on here or if i didnt work i will make another thread...ok bye thx again., shouldn't need to increase fan speeds as this computer could play games perfectly well, before this "dust" problem occured.

Posted 10/05/2009 10:04 AM   
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596525' date='Oct 5 2009, 11:04 AM']ok will do., thx mate,

Yes my GPU fan is spinning well, i will clean it ok i'll get back to you on here or if i didnt work i will make another thread...ok bye thx again., shouldn't need to increase fan speeds as this computer could play games perfectly well, before this "dust" problem occured.[/quote]

No worries :)

'Dust' is more damaging than it can seem! Remember, even removing the dust from the graphics card won't fix things if the air in your case isn't cool, so checkout the case fans and airflow too.

Remember also, newer games are going to make things hotter than old games as they are more demanding on your components.

J
[quote name='Xc3llerator' post='596525' date='Oct 5 2009, 11:04 AM']ok will do., thx mate,

No worries :)

'Dust' is more damaging than it can seem! Remember, even removing the dust from the graphics card won't fix things if the air in your case isn't cool, so checkout the case fans and airflow too.

Remember also, newer games are going to make things hotter than old games as they are more demanding on your components.

J

Posted 10/05/2009 10:14 AM   
Hey, well this is how the problem was fixed...my graphics card was removed by a professional technition. He said that the motherboard slot where the graphic card goes is faulty. (PCI E X16)....Now i'm not entirely sure if the slot is faulty or if the card is faulty. He never tested the card ina different computer... So now my computer is running fine on the built in -backup onboard graphics- (intel G31/G33). now what is the best options. I'm gona get this card tested at a computer shop to see if it is faulty or not. What card do you recommend if i buy a new card?, Is the 9 series the latest or 200 series....What is the equalvilant card to a 9600 GT and a 9800 GT in the 200 series?, i got lost after the 200 and 100 series....please help :D
Hey, well this is how the problem was fixed...my graphics card was removed by a professional technition. He said that the motherboard slot where the graphic card goes is faulty. (PCI E X16)....Now i'm not entirely sure if the slot is faulty or if the card is faulty. He never tested the card ina different computer... So now my computer is running fine on the built in -backup onboard graphics- (intel G31/G33). now what is the best options. I'm gona get this card tested at a computer shop to see if it is faulty or not. What card do you recommend if i buy a new card?, Is the 9 series the latest or 200 series....What is the equalvilant card to a 9600 GT and a 9800 GT in the 200 series?, i got lost after the 200 and 100 series....please help :D

Posted 10/22/2009 04:30 AM   

Posted 10/22/2009 04:31 AM   
99% of the time I've found this error to be caused by a underpowered psu. NEVER go by the minimum power supply requirements when you install a high end graphics card. If you have the fancy LED light show going on in your computer case, turn that crap off. And unplug any extra cooling fans you have spinning on your case.
99% of the time I've found this error to be caused by a underpowered psu. NEVER go by the minimum power supply requirements when you install a high end graphics card. If you have the fancy LED light show going on in your computer case, turn that crap off. And unplug any extra cooling fans you have spinning on your case.

Posted 10/22/2009 11:36 PM   
[quote name='pandaenjoi13' post='604098' date='Oct 23 2009, 10:36 AM']99% of the time I've found this error to be caused by a underpowered psu. NEVER go by the minimum power supply requirements when you install a high end graphics card. If you have the fancy LED light show going on in your computer case, turn that crap off. And unplug any extra cooling fans you have spinning on your case.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the reply, however i think that the PSU is not my problem...Its 300 Watts, but the graphics card came with my PC. Everything in my PC is stock and has been working fine untill 2 months ago ..etc ...and i never had any LED lights etc. its a standard HP stock computer with ASUS parts.
[quote name='pandaenjoi13' post='604098' date='Oct 23 2009, 10:36 AM']99% of the time I've found this error to be caused by a underpowered psu. NEVER go by the minimum power supply requirements when you install a high end graphics card. If you have the fancy LED light show going on in your computer case, turn that crap off. And unplug any extra cooling fans you have spinning on your case.

Hey, thanks for the reply, however i think that the PSU is not my problem...Its 300 Watts, but the graphics card came with my PC. Everything in my PC is stock and has been working fine untill 2 months ago ..etc ...and i never had any LED lights etc. its a standard HP stock computer with ASUS parts.

Posted 10/23/2009 07:59 AM   
This problem has been going on for too long.
I have spent 2 mo's looking into it and everyone wants to pass the buck from what I have seen.
There are tons of different system configurations and hardware configurations all having the same problem.
I have had several GTX260's that no matter what you did the error would happen.
I have a GTX275 now that won't down clock with any previouse versions prior to 191.07 but 191.07 messes up my temps completely.
after 5 cards and 2 mo's all my hardware tested the only common denominator in all the 100's of posts I have read are the drivers.
Some people have gone several versions back and it corrected the issue , so if changing the driver version has been the ONLY fix for this for some people it got to be the drivers.
period.
Granted ok there are a few out there with bad RAM ( VERY RARE)
PSU ok it happens from time to time sure..
But for every forum to be full of posts about this something is common and its the drivers.
I am not harshing Nvidia you have gotten 1000's of my dollars over the years but these latest drivers need alot of attention and we can't all be wrong.
This problem has been going on for too long.

I have spent 2 mo's looking into it and everyone wants to pass the buck from what I have seen.

There are tons of different system configurations and hardware configurations all having the same problem.

I have had several GTX260's that no matter what you did the error would happen.

I have a GTX275 now that won't down clock with any previouse versions prior to 191.07 but 191.07 messes up my temps completely.

after 5 cards and 2 mo's all my hardware tested the only common denominator in all the 100's of posts I have read are the drivers.

Some people have gone several versions back and it corrected the issue , so if changing the driver version has been the ONLY fix for this for some people it got to be the drivers.

period.

Granted ok there are a few out there with bad RAM ( VERY RARE)

PSU ok it happens from time to time sure..

But for every forum to be full of posts about this something is common and its the drivers.

I am not harshing Nvidia you have gotten 1000's of my dollars over the years but these latest drivers need alot of attention and we can't all be wrong.

MSI X58 Platinum
Core i7 920
6 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1333
Corsair TX750 60A 12v rail.
EVGA GTX275
Samsung Super Writemaster
Vista 64 SP2
RaidMAx Sagitta 2

Posted 10/23/2009 11:45 AM   
I don't think it's a hardware problem. I'm pretty sure the drivers are the ones to blame. I ran Vista 32 bit on the same hardware and after installing Windows 7 64bit the nvidia-drivers constantly crash to a bluescreen.
I don't think it's a hardware problem. I'm pretty sure the drivers are the ones to blame. I ran Vista 32 bit on the same hardware and after installing Windows 7 64bit the nvidia-drivers constantly crash to a bluescreen.

Posted 10/23/2009 12:26 PM   
  2 / 40    
Scroll To Top