laptop to external monitor via HDMI not working
I recently purchased a laptop w/ the gtx206m graphics card. I'm trying to connect my Samsung 2333HD HDTV/monitor to my laptop via the HDMI port. The native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080 and the resolution of my laptop is 1680x1050. When I tried to change the resolution to my tv's native resolution of 1920x1080, the text look horrible (dark, blurry, blueish tint) but if I decrease it to my laptop's native resolution of 1680x1050, everything looks fine.

I've looked at other forums and tried some of the suggestions people have made to no avail.

I've also tried connecting my laptop to another tv via the HDMI cable and that worked but my tv's recommended resolution is lower than my laptop monitor's native so maybe that's why it worked?

I guess my question is, can I set my external monitor (in my case the Samsung) to a higher resolution than my laptop's monitor? It's weird to note though that when I connect my laptop to my tv via the dvi->vga and set the tv's resolution to 1080, the picture is fine. It only seems to not work when it's HDMI-->HDMI.

Any help would be appreciated.
I recently purchased a laptop w/ the gtx206m graphics card. I'm trying to connect my Samsung 2333HD HDTV/monitor to my laptop via the HDMI port. The native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080 and the resolution of my laptop is 1680x1050. When I tried to change the resolution to my tv's native resolution of 1920x1080, the text look horrible (dark, blurry, blueish tint) but if I decrease it to my laptop's native resolution of 1680x1050, everything looks fine.

I've looked at other forums and tried some of the suggestions people have made to no avail.

I've also tried connecting my laptop to another tv via the HDMI cable and that worked but my tv's recommended resolution is lower than my laptop monitor's native so maybe that's why it worked?

I guess my question is, can I set my external monitor (in my case the Samsung) to a higher resolution than my laptop's monitor? It's weird to note though that when I connect my laptop to my tv via the dvi->vga and set the tv's resolution to 1080, the picture is fine. It only seems to not work when it's HDMI-->HDMI.

Posted 06/16/2009 08:04 PM   
[quote name='axr162' post='553393' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:04 PM']I recently purchased a laptop w/ the gtx206m graphics card. I'm trying to connect my Samsung 2333HD HDTV/monitor to my laptop via the HDMI port. The native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080 and the resolution of my laptop is 1680x1050. When I tried to change the resolution to my tv's native resolution of 1920x1080, the text look horrible (dark, blurry, blueish tint) but if I decrease it to my laptop's native resolution of 1680x1050, everything looks fine.

Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

From reading the manual, it seems like that particular display is only intended to take PC signals via VGA or DVI. Some HDMI equipped displays simply do not accept PC signals via HDMI no matter what you try to do and that could be one of them. It may also be a handshake/EDID problem. You can try the EDID fix that has been discussed on this forum if you are feeling adventurous or try older drivers. The resolution of your notebook LCD has nothing to do with external display devices.
[quote name='axr162' post='553393' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:04 PM']I recently purchased a laptop w/ the gtx206m graphics card. I'm trying to connect my Samsung 2333HD HDTV/monitor to my laptop via the HDMI port. The native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080 and the resolution of my laptop is 1680x1050. When I tried to change the resolution to my tv's native resolution of 1920x1080, the text look horrible (dark, blurry, blueish tint) but if I decrease it to my laptop's native resolution of 1680x1050, everything looks fine.

From reading the manual, it seems like that particular display is only intended to take PC signals via VGA or DVI. Some HDMI equipped displays simply do not accept PC signals via HDMI no matter what you try to do and that could be one of them. It may also be a handshake/EDID problem. You can try the EDID fix that has been discussed on this forum if you are feeling adventurous or try older drivers. The resolution of your notebook LCD has nothing to do with external display devices.

Posted 06/16/2009 08:18 PM   
[quote name='LeggoTheEggoNow' post='553400' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:18 PM']From reading the manual, it seems like that particular display is only intended to take PC signals via VGA or DVI. Some HDMI equipped displays simply do not accept PC signals via HDMI no matter what you try to do and that could be one of them. It may also be a handshake/EDID problem. You can try the EDID fix that has been discussed on this forum if you are feeling adventurous or try older drivers. The resolution of your notebook LCD has nothing to do with external display devices.[/quote]

Hmm...I didn't see that mentioned in the manual but I guess that makes sense since they do have a vga input. I'm haven't looked into the EDID thing but I probably won't do that until i try it out on another monitor, maybe one that's an actual monitor and not a tv/monitor deal.
[quote name='LeggoTheEggoNow' post='553400' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:18 PM']From reading the manual, it seems like that particular display is only intended to take PC signals via VGA or DVI. Some HDMI equipped displays simply do not accept PC signals via HDMI no matter what you try to do and that could be one of them. It may also be a handshake/EDID problem. You can try the EDID fix that has been discussed on this forum if you are feeling adventurous or try older drivers. The resolution of your notebook LCD has nothing to do with external display devices.

Hmm...I didn't see that mentioned in the manual but I guess that makes sense since they do have a vga input. I'm haven't looked into the EDID thing but I probably won't do that until i try it out on another monitor, maybe one that's an actual monitor and not a tv/monitor deal.

Posted 06/17/2009 08:52 AM   
[quote name='axr162' post='553600' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:52 AM']Hmm...I didn't see that mentioned in the manual but I guess that makes sense since they do have a vga input. I'm haven't looked into the EDID thing but I probably won't do that until i try it out on another monitor, maybe one that's an actual monitor and not a tv/monitor deal.[/quote]
I own a similar monitor and have a similar problem (P2370HD)
I solved it changing the name of the input in the monitor (Menu>Inputs>Rename...) and change it to PC. Everything works great now
Hope this help, since this post is almost a year old
[quote name='axr162' post='553600' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:52 AM']Hmm...I didn't see that mentioned in the manual but I guess that makes sense since they do have a vga input. I'm haven't looked into the EDID thing but I probably won't do that until i try it out on another monitor, maybe one that's an actual monitor and not a tv/monitor deal.

I own a similar monitor and have a similar problem (P2370HD)

I solved it changing the name of the input in the monitor (Menu>Inputs>Rename...) and change it to PC. Everything works great now

Hope this help, since this post is almost a year old

Posted 05/12/2010 04:56 PM   
Scroll To Top