Nvidia GeForce 9600GT PROBLEMS Bad Card? ....Black screens, crashes and more!
  1 / 4    
Ok, so as you can probably tell by the title i am quite annoyed about this problem.

I have upgraded my power supply to a [u][b]700W[/b][/u] and have installed all the newest drivers for every possible conflict or problem it could have been.
I have also read up on countless threads and forums, especially on this Nvidia forum about the 9600GT card being completely unreliable and ultimately a "Bad Card".

I am not pleased about paying this amount of money for a card that doesn't do the job and cant deliver the performance.

I play World of Warcraft, and i always get crashes and black screens, even on other games.

I have all the compatible hardware, and all of it exceeds any requirments that a high end card could require.

I think i will either switch to [b]Radeon[/b], [b]OR[/b][u][/u] Nvidia could [b]fix[/b] this ( although i dont think they DO have a fix from what i've seen ) or give some insight on it so i dont have to spend more money, if not then i will go to the shop and return this "Bad Card" under warranty!?

My System Spec is as follows:

Intel Pentum4 Processor (3.06 Ghz)
Gigabyte Motherboard
2GB RAM
Windows XP, SP3
700W PSU

Can anyone recomend a [b]Good[/b], reliable Graphics Card that will play World of Warcraft very smoothly and will last ?

-Thanks in advance
Ok, so as you can probably tell by the title i am quite annoyed about this problem.

I have upgraded my power supply to a 700W and have installed all the newest drivers for every possible conflict or problem it could have been.

I have also read up on countless threads and forums, especially on this Nvidia forum about the 9600GT card being completely unreliable and ultimately a "Bad Card".

I am not pleased about paying this amount of money for a card that doesn't do the job and cant deliver the performance.

I play World of Warcraft, and i always get crashes and black screens, even on other games.

I have all the compatible hardware, and all of it exceeds any requirments that a high end card could require.

I think i will either switch to Radeon, OR[u][/u] Nvidia could fix this ( although i dont think they DO have a fix from what i've seen ) or give some insight on it so i dont have to spend more money, if not then i will go to the shop and return this "Bad Card" under warranty!?

My System Spec is as follows:

Intel Pentum4 Processor (3.06 Ghz)

Gigabyte Motherboard

2GB RAM

Windows XP, SP3

700W PSU

Can anyone recomend a Good, reliable Graphics Card that will play World of Warcraft very smoothly and will last ?

-Thanks in advance

Posted 06/16/2009 07:16 PM   
Double post~
Double post~

Posted 06/18/2009 05:28 AM   
I'm having the same problems. Not a single game runs for more than 10 minutes at this point. Searching up and down the Internet has shown very similar problems from other 9600GT users from a variety of manufacturers which implies that the fault is with nVidia. I'm going to spend tomorrow looking for answers. If they continue to evade me, I'll probably find myself ordering an ATI card and calling it a day.

For reference, The card fails on both XP 64-bit w/SP3 as well as Windows 7 Build 7100. With a 550W power supply with 2x12v rails.
I'm having the same problems. Not a single game runs for more than 10 minutes at this point. Searching up and down the Internet has shown very similar problems from other 9600GT users from a variety of manufacturers which implies that the fault is with nVidia. I'm going to spend tomorrow looking for answers. If they continue to evade me, I'll probably find myself ordering an ATI card and calling it a day.

For reference, The card fails on both XP 64-bit w/SP3 as well as Windows 7 Build 7100. With a 550W power supply with 2x12v rails.

Posted 06/18/2009 05:30 AM   
After spending this morning and a bit of last night moving hardware around like a madman, this is what I came up with:

I rounded up a variety of rigs and 3 different 9600 GTs from 3 different manufacturers (XFX, PNY, Gigabyte). 2 machines ran XP 32 bit. 1 ran Vista 64-bit. 2 ran XP 64-bit. I tried 3 different versions of the drivers (185.85, 182.50, and a version that was dated for February 09 whose version escapes me at this time.) I tried under-clocking the cards, seeking better stability with little success. All tests were done on single monitor setup. For stability, I ran FurMark. I decided that if it could run that for 30 minutes without going to crashing to a black screen, I'd test it inside TF2 and WoW for awhile. None of the tests ever got that far with crashes happening as soon as 4 minutes after the stability test began to as late as 17 minutes. The hottest card of the lot peaked at 76C during the entire ordeal.

I tested 2 of the cards in all 5 rigs, I got lazy with the XFX card toward the end and only tested it in 3 of them. Similar results across all 13 builds.

I'm throwing my hands up on this one and hoping that nVidia issues a recall of the 9600 GTs because they are clearly flawed.
After spending this morning and a bit of last night moving hardware around like a madman, this is what I came up with:

I rounded up a variety of rigs and 3 different 9600 GTs from 3 different manufacturers (XFX, PNY, Gigabyte). 2 machines ran XP 32 bit. 1 ran Vista 64-bit. 2 ran XP 64-bit. I tried 3 different versions of the drivers (185.85, 182.50, and a version that was dated for February 09 whose version escapes me at this time.) I tried under-clocking the cards, seeking better stability with little success. All tests were done on single monitor setup. For stability, I ran FurMark. I decided that if it could run that for 30 minutes without going to crashing to a black screen, I'd test it inside TF2 and WoW for awhile. None of the tests ever got that far with crashes happening as soon as 4 minutes after the stability test began to as late as 17 minutes. The hottest card of the lot peaked at 76C during the entire ordeal.

I tested 2 of the cards in all 5 rigs, I got lazy with the XFX card toward the end and only tested it in 3 of them. Similar results across all 13 builds.

I'm throwing my hands up on this one and hoping that nVidia issues a recall of the 9600 GTs because they are clearly flawed.

Posted 06/18/2009 05:09 PM   
Your 9600GT could be overheating. Download EVGA Precision Tool and check you temps. Increase your fan speed.
Your 9600GT could be overheating. Download EVGA Precision Tool and check you temps. Increase your fan speed.

Posted 06/18/2009 05:42 PM   
[quote name='addnan' post='554265' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:42 PM']Your 9600GT could be overheating. Download EVGA Precision Tool and check you temps. Increase your fan speed.[/quote]

Underclocked it significantly (Core from 650 to 490) and increased fan speed to 75%. Run without a crash for 20 minutes. I'm going to try to get a few games going on this box to see how it does with that and I'll report back. Tests have it peaking at 68C. I'm not convinced it's overheating; It shows symptoms of overheating, but that seems a bit odd as I've seen cards run as hot as 80C.

Regardless of outcome, It is unacceptable to be expected to drop clock speed 25% to get some stability out of the card.

Edit: The only card I have on me at the moment is the PNY. The other two I tested were not mine.
[quote name='addnan' post='554265' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:42 PM']Your 9600GT could be overheating. Download EVGA Precision Tool and check you temps. Increase your fan speed.

Underclocked it significantly (Core from 650 to 490) and increased fan speed to 75%. Run without a crash for 20 minutes. I'm going to try to get a few games going on this box to see how it does with that and I'll report back. Tests have it peaking at 68C. I'm not convinced it's overheating; It shows symptoms of overheating, but that seems a bit odd as I've seen cards run as hot as 80C.

Regardless of outcome, It is unacceptable to be expected to drop clock speed 25% to get some stability out of the card.

Edit: The only card I have on me at the moment is the PNY. The other two I tested were not mine.

Posted 06/18/2009 06:20 PM   
If you're running the 185.85 drivers.... dump them, they're horrible!!!!!
If you're running the 185.85 drivers.... dump them, they're horrible!!!!!

We shall fight on the seas and oceans,we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches,we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,we shall fight in the hills,we shall never surrender

Winston Churchill 4 June 1940

Posted 06/18/2009 09:47 PM   
Currently, I have the memory running at 795 and the core running at 490, both underclocked a fair bit. Fan is at 90%. Peak temperature is 66C. It still crashes. Nothing graphically intensive runs. Tried the 185.xx drivers and the 182.xx drivers. Anything 3d intensive crashes. This seems to continue to suggest that the card is a pile. It doesn't work. It's flawed. nVidia's Engineers blew it on the 9600 GT. It needs to be recalled.

It would do wonders if nVidia at least acknowledged that there is infact a problem.
Currently, I have the memory running at 795 and the core running at 490, both underclocked a fair bit. Fan is at 90%. Peak temperature is 66C. It still crashes. Nothing graphically intensive runs. Tried the 185.xx drivers and the 182.xx drivers. Anything 3d intensive crashes. This seems to continue to suggest that the card is a pile. It doesn't work. It's flawed. nVidia's Engineers blew it on the 9600 GT. It needs to be recalled.

It would do wonders if nVidia at least acknowledged that there is infact a problem.

Posted 06/19/2009 03:40 AM   
Double post again :(
Double post again :(

Posted 06/19/2009 03:41 AM   
I have a GTS 250 1gb card with the same problem! lmao...........the weird thing its that it only crashed me in COD4 and 5 I can play Tom Clancy HAWX without a problem.....

meeeeeh
I have a GTS 250 1gb card with the same problem! lmao...........the weird thing its that it only crashed me in COD4 and 5 I can play Tom Clancy HAWX without a problem.....

meeeeeh

Posted 06/23/2009 03:40 PM   
[quote name='pmcnano' post='556605' date='Jun 23 2009, 04:40 PM']I have a GTS 250 1gb card with the same problem! lmao...........the weird thing its that it only crashed me in COD4 and 5 I can play Tom Clancy HAWX without a problem.....

meeeeeh[/quote]

Hello:
i have a xfx gts 250 512 MB, and when GPU temperaure gets to 80º C in Call of duty world at war, the video card fan goes to full speed and the card stop giving video signal.
Then i thought it was power supply, but i took from internet the program to put fan speed manually and put 100% (maximum speed), go into call of duty and it delays a lot, but finally crush, but i didn´t record the temperature, i suppose it was on 80º C again, i´m going to check it today.
It doesn´t look like power supply because the fan is in 100% speed since i enter the game.
Does any body know if the video card is factory adjusted to automatic stop video signal above 80ºC?, i don't think so
or maybe this gts 250 cards heat more than gtx 260 and others
Please help...
Thank you.
[quote name='pmcnano' post='556605' date='Jun 23 2009, 04:40 PM']I have a GTS 250 1gb card with the same problem! lmao...........the weird thing its that it only crashed me in COD4 and 5 I can play Tom Clancy HAWX without a problem.....

meeeeeh

Hello:

i have a xfx gts 250 512 MB, and when GPU temperaure gets to 80º C in Call of duty world at war, the video card fan goes to full speed and the card stop giving video signal.

Then i thought it was power supply, but i took from internet the program to put fan speed manually and put 100% (maximum speed), go into call of duty and it delays a lot, but finally crush, but i didn´t record the temperature, i suppose it was on 80º C again, i´m going to check it today.

It doesn´t look like power supply because the fan is in 100% speed since i enter the game.

Does any body know if the video card is factory adjusted to automatic stop video signal above 80ºC?, i don't think so

or maybe this gts 250 cards heat more than gtx 260 and others

Please help...

Thank you.

Posted 06/24/2009 04:21 AM   
Same here..its something with the card, mine doesnt even reach 70 and start glitching.....and damn even if it gets to the 80's (that....it would be a manufacturer problem) shouldn't happen anything!! This cards should be able to endure 120ºC obviously not a healthy environment! lol

We will be questioned about the obvious...what psu do you havE?

IM using a Cooler Master Extreme 500W, it gives 18A each rail (2) so = 36A the card requirements say 24amps
Same here..its something with the card, mine doesnt even reach 70 and start glitching.....and damn even if it gets to the 80's (that....it would be a manufacturer problem) shouldn't happen anything!! This cards should be able to endure 120ºC obviously not a healthy environment! lol

IM using a Cooler Master Extreme 500W, it gives 18A each rail (2) so = 36A the card requirements say 24amps

Posted 06/24/2009 06:09 AM   
[quote name='pmcnano' post='556932' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:09 AM']Same here..its something with the card, mine doesnt even reach 70 and start glitching.....and damn even if it gets to the 80's (that....it would be a manufacturer problem) shouldn't happen anything!! This cards should be able to endure 120ºC obviously not a healthy environment! lol

IM using a Cooler Master Extreme 500W, it gives 18A each rail (2) so = 36A the card requirements say 24amps[/quote]
i think ur PSU is OK for ur card, mine's maybe not, it´s a SD-560EPS, but i need to see at home later the specs because now i'm not sure, i think it has two 12V specs, 17 amp and 19 amp and is 500 W peak, idon't understand so good and is a chinese PSU, i didn't have another choice that buy this, but maybe 17+19 = 36, ampere. Anyway, i read that the GTS 250 uses 150W/12.5A at peak load, i don´t know if this is true.
but i don't think is the PSU because whe i put the fan at 100 % speed, run call of duty and resumed my saved game, i was consuming the peak power, maybe 10 minutes later a bit more power, but not anymore, and the video card stop giving signal at 80º C.
What i need now is that somebody that has the same video card as mine tell me that they video card doesn´t crush at 80ºC, and i´ll go and change it.
Can u change yours?. I hope u can.
[quote name='pmcnano' post='556932' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:09 AM']Same here..its something with the card, mine doesnt even reach 70 and start glitching.....and damn even if it gets to the 80's (that....it would be a manufacturer problem) shouldn't happen anything!! This cards should be able to endure 120ºC obviously not a healthy environment! lol

i think ur PSU is OK for ur card, mine's maybe not, it´s a SD-560EPS, but i need to see at home later the specs because now i'm not sure, i think it has two 12V specs, 17 amp and 19 amp and is 500 W peak, idon't understand so good and is a chinese PSU, i didn't have another choice that buy this, but maybe 17+19 = 36, ampere. Anyway, i read that the GTS 250 uses 150W/12.5A at peak load, i don´t know if this is true.

but i don't think is the PSU because whe i put the fan at 100 % speed, run call of duty and resumed my saved game, i was consuming the peak power, maybe 10 minutes later a bit more power, but not anymore, and the video card stop giving signal at 80º C.

What i need now is that somebody that has the same video card as mine tell me that they video card doesn´t crush at 80ºC, and i´ll go and change it.

Can u change yours?. I hope u can.

Posted 06/24/2009 08:42 AM   
yea of course, it has warranty but lol this is so messed up!..I dont understand how come nvidia doesnt answer anything to this.........to many different variables in all cases, different cards, different psu's, different motherboards, etc.

I tried using a dedicated PSU for my video card, but oddly my computer wont turn on if the video card PCI-E connector is to another psu lol
yea of course, it has warranty but lol this is so messed up!..I dont understand how come nvidia doesnt answer anything to this.........to many different variables in all cases, different cards, different psu's, different motherboards, etc.

I tried using a dedicated PSU for my video card, but oddly my computer wont turn on if the video card PCI-E connector is to another psu lol

Posted 06/24/2009 08:16 PM   
HI! I've been searching and reading for weeks now on the same issue. Looks to me as if anyone who has the geforce 9600 gt has problems with it.
I have to agree that this is a faulty card.

SPECS:
Vista ultimate sp 2
AMD phenom x3 8450
4 gb corsair ram
geforce 9600 GT

I havent found a solution to the crashes and problems definately caused my this card. I've tried memtest drives changes everything that i have possibly read on the internet.nothing helps. PSU changing neither.
I have altough changed my graphics adapter to a 9600 GS wich solved the problem immediatly. But because it's not a very good card im thinking about buying a new one.maybe 9800 GTX+
I dont understand why doesn't nvidia do something about this?? because how i see it, many users have the same issue here.
HI! I've been searching and reading for weeks now on the same issue. Looks to me as if anyone who has the geforce 9600 gt has problems with it.

I have to agree that this is a faulty card.

SPECS:

Vista ultimate sp 2

AMD phenom x3 8450

4 gb corsair ram

geforce 9600 GT

I havent found a solution to the crashes and problems definately caused my this card. I've tried memtest drives changes everything that i have possibly read on the internet.nothing helps. PSU changing neither.

I have altough changed my graphics adapter to a 9600 GS wich solved the problem immediatly. But because it's not a very good card im thinking about buying a new one.maybe 9800 GTX+

I dont understand why doesn't nvidia do something about this?? because how i see it, many users have the same issue here.

Posted 06/27/2009 02:18 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top