Error Code:10 nForce Networking Controller Device cannot start Error Code:10
I have bought a new motherbord Zotac with NVIDIA 8300 chipset and built my own system. Detailed config is as given below:-
Motherboard: ZOTAC NVIDIA 8300 with nForce 730a
CPU: AMD 6000+ 3.0 Ghz
RAM: Total 4GB 800 Mhz Transcend (2 Modules X 2 GB)
HDD: Seagate 250 GB SATA

Everything is working fine except the Network. I made a clean installation of WinXP Pro SP3 in NTFS partition sized 20 GB. I have installed all Drivers but only the Network is giving me problems. I could see in the network, only the FW Port 1394 and not the LAN. When the OS was installed and the chipset Driver installation was in progress, it showed up as "Found new hardware" but when from the Device Manager, whenever I tried to instal the Drivers from the Motherboard CD from the correct location by pointing to the correct inf file, it shows copying the required files to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 but I am always ending up with the message "This Device cannot start Error Code:10". I have downloaded the new Driver Version 15.26 released on 16-03-2009 from NVIDIA site which includes all Drivers with new versions. The Ethernet Driver New Version is v67.89 WHQL. I tried ininstalling all the old drivers and installed all the new Drivers with the same result. This is giving me sleepless nights now. I believe I have downloaded the correct Drivers for this chipset as described by Nvidia under the heading PRODUCTS SUPPORTED. But still, I am having this nagging problem. Since WinXP Pro supports ACPI with shared IRQs, I believe there is no need to assign IRQs manually for the CPU to identify and communicate with onboard devices. I came across many such instances in many sites by users of NVIDIA NFORCE NETWORK CONTROLLER Error Code 10 with DEVICE CANNOT START, but no forum or site provides a reliable and correct solution. I believe, it can be solved only by NVIDIA by providing a reliable solution. Please note that it is not a physical defect of the onboard NIC but something which is related to the software. If the onboard NIC is physically defective, it would not show up as Found New Hardware while installing the chipset driver. Now I am fed up. I am having all new versions of OS, Chipset Drivers, Latest updated BIOS, etc. But I could not solve my problem. All devices are working except the LAN because of this Device cannot start Error Code:10. Please help me. Thank you very much in advance for all your help. Pic of Device Manager screenshot attached.
I have bought a new motherbord Zotac with NVIDIA 8300 chipset and built my own system. Detailed config is as given below:-

Motherboard: ZOTAC NVIDIA 8300 with nForce 730a

CPU: AMD 6000+ 3.0 Ghz

RAM: Total 4GB 800 Mhz Transcend (2 Modules X 2 GB)

HDD: Seagate 250 GB SATA

Everything is working fine except the Network. I made a clean installation of WinXP Pro SP3 in NTFS partition sized 20 GB. I have installed all Drivers but only the Network is giving me problems. I could see in the network, only the FW Port 1394 and not the LAN. When the OS was installed and the chipset Driver installation was in progress, it showed up as "Found new hardware" but when from the Device Manager, whenever I tried to instal the Drivers from the Motherboard CD from the correct location by pointing to the correct inf file, it shows copying the required files to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 but I am always ending up with the message "This Device cannot start Error Code:10". I have downloaded the new Driver Version 15.26 released on 16-03-2009 from NVIDIA site which includes all Drivers with new versions. The Ethernet Driver New Version is v67.89 WHQL. I tried ininstalling all the old drivers and installed all the new Drivers with the same result. This is giving me sleepless nights now. I believe I have downloaded the correct Drivers for this chipset as described by Nvidia under the heading PRODUCTS SUPPORTED. But still, I am having this nagging problem. Since WinXP Pro supports ACPI with shared IRQs, I believe there is no need to assign IRQs manually for the CPU to identify and communicate with onboard devices. I came across many such instances in many sites by users of NVIDIA NFORCE NETWORK CONTROLLER Error Code 10 with DEVICE CANNOT START, but no forum or site provides a reliable and correct solution. I believe, it can be solved only by NVIDIA by providing a reliable solution. Please note that it is not a physical defect of the onboard NIC but something which is related to the software. If the onboard NIC is physically defective, it would not show up as Found New Hardware while installing the chipset driver. Now I am fed up. I am having all new versions of OS, Chipset Drivers, Latest updated BIOS, etc. But I could not solve my problem. All devices are working except the LAN because of this Device cannot start Error Code:10. Please help me. Thank you very much in advance for all your help. Pic of Device Manager screenshot attached.
Attachments

DM.JPG

Posted 04/14/2009 05:13 AM   
Your specs are not very DETAILED.

Please tell me about the Items that you did not list. Example, You using an OPTICAL DRIVE - so are you also using any USB items, any other cards in this computer?

1394 is the IEEE device that is also listed as its own device group, you should be able to disable this in the BIOS.

Under the Computer section, make sure it say ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

Start > Run > MSINFO32 > Hardware Resources > IRQ ......screen shot that.

But just from the basis of Clean install, Install drivers, Error code 10 - Im incline to say return the board. But if there are any items you did not list, or if the ACPI is not multicore, or say in the BIOS you had an option for Plug-n-Play OS and you disabled it.

Is there an option in the BIOS for USB CONTROLLED BY [Bios / OS] ?
Your specs are not very DETAILED.

Please tell me about the Items that you did not list. Example, You using an OPTICAL DRIVE - so are you also using any USB items, any other cards in this computer?

1394 is the IEEE device that is also listed as its own device group, you should be able to disable this in the BIOS.

But just from the basis of Clean install, Install drivers, Error code 10 - Im incline to say return the board. But if there are any items you did not list, or if the ACPI is not multicore, or say in the BIOS you had an option for Plug-n-Play OS and you disabled it.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/14/2009 08:00 AM   
Hello, Thanks a lot for your response. I am giving you all the details asked by you.

Yes, it is an ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
My optical Drive is ASUS 1814 DVD Writer with Lightscribe (which never troubled me yet)
Sometimes, I will use USB Pen Drive attached to the rear side USB Port of the motherboard.
ACPI is enabled in BIOS. When disabled, the system did not boot at all..!

There is no option in the BIOS to disable IEEE 1394 Port. By default, it is enabled. I have checked all options in BIOS to disable the IEEE 1394 Firewire port but to my surprise, I found no such opotion. My BIOS is also updated with the latest version released by the Motherboard Manufacturer's (ZOATAC) site. There is only one option to Disable/Auto MAC LAN. It is in Auto state now. If there is any physical defect on the LAN Port on the motherboard, then I believe, it will not show up as "Found New Hardware" Ethernet controller when installing chipset drivers. So, my belief is that the onboard Gigabit LAN Port is functioning physically, but the only problem is that the "Device cannot start" Also, if there is any physical defect in the LAN port, will it show up in the Device manager at all? This implies that the Device is being identified as NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller by the Operating System Windows XP SP3 but the Device cannot start which is caused by the Error Code 10.

I am not using any other cards in the computer. All devices used by me such as Audio & Video are onboard devices. So I cannot physically make any modifications like changing slots (if I am using add-on cards) to change IRQs.
Plug n Play OS is enabled in BIOS.
There is an option in the BIOS to Enable or Disable the USB. Now it is ENABLED.

I am unable to see any item titled HARDWARE RESOURCES when opened the support centre using MSINFO32 as mentioned by you. Screenshot of the MSINFO32 page attached. Please exactly guide me how to search for Hardware Resources >IRQ so that I can send you the screenshot of the IRQs immediately.
Also, please let me know if the Network controller is physically defective, if will show up as "Found New Hardware" Ethernet Controllder?
Regards,
Sivakumar B

[quote name='Greybear' post='529857' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:30 PM']Your specs are not very DETAILED.

Is there an option in the BIOS for USB CONTROLLED BY [Bios / OS] ?[/quote]
Hello, Thanks a lot for your response. I am giving you all the details asked by you.

Yes, it is an ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

My optical Drive is ASUS 1814 DVD Writer with Lightscribe (which never troubled me yet)

Sometimes, I will use USB Pen Drive attached to the rear side USB Port of the motherboard.

ACPI is enabled in BIOS. When disabled, the system did not boot at all..!

There is no option in the BIOS to disable IEEE 1394 Port. By default, it is enabled. I have checked all options in BIOS to disable the IEEE 1394 Firewire port but to my surprise, I found no such opotion. My BIOS is also updated with the latest version released by the Motherboard Manufacturer's (ZOATAC) site. There is only one option to Disable/Auto MAC LAN. It is in Auto state now. If there is any physical defect on the LAN Port on the motherboard, then I believe, it will not show up as "Found New Hardware" Ethernet controller when installing chipset drivers. So, my belief is that the onboard Gigabit LAN Port is functioning physically, but the only problem is that the "Device cannot start" Also, if there is any physical defect in the LAN port, will it show up in the Device manager at all? This implies that the Device is being identified as NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller by the Operating System Windows XP SP3 but the Device cannot start which is caused by the Error Code 10.

I am not using any other cards in the computer. All devices used by me such as Audio & Video are onboard devices. So I cannot physically make any modifications like changing slots (if I am using add-on cards) to change IRQs.

Plug n Play OS is enabled in BIOS.

There is an option in the BIOS to Enable or Disable the USB. Now it is ENABLED.

I am unable to see any item titled HARDWARE RESOURCES when opened the support centre using MSINFO32 as mentioned by you. Screenshot of the MSINFO32 page attached. Please exactly guide me how to search for Hardware Resources >IRQ so that I can send you the screenshot of the IRQs immediately.

Also, please let me know if the Network controller is physically defective, if will show up as "Found New Hardware" Ethernet Controllder?

Regards,

Sivakumar B

[quote name='Greybear' post='529857' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:30 PM']Your specs are not very DETAILED.

Attachments

MSINFO_screenshot.JPG

Posted 04/14/2009 11:37 AM   
[quote]Start > Run > CMD >MSINFO32 > Hardware Resources > IRQ ......screen shot that.[/quote]
Sorry, forgot the CMD. Now try it.

So, no other devices what so ever in or connected to this presently?
Remove the wires from the case front panel that connect to the motherboard sound header (if you connected these)
Remove 1 stick of memory.

Where is your PSU information?

Something is preventing the device from functioning.

Yes, a lan can be bad and still be identified, its not much different than when we used to use Modems all the time and it couldnt get a DIAL tone or had a 613 error. Replacing it fixed the problem.

During the posting of the computer, there should be a screen right before Windows takes over...It is a Table with IRQs and devices. Press the Pause / Break key to stop it and write down all the devices and the IRQ it assigned in this table.
Start > Run > CMD >MSINFO32 > Hardware Resources > IRQ ......screen shot that.

Sorry, forgot the CMD. Now try it.

Remove the wires from the case front panel that connect to the motherboard sound header (if you connected these)

Yes, a lan can be bad and still be identified, its not much different than when we used to use Modems all the time and it couldnt get a DIAL tone or had a 613 error. Replacing it fixed the problem.

During the posting of the computer, there should be a screen right before Windows takes over...It is a Table with IRQs and devices. Press the Pause / Break key to stop it and write down all the devices and the IRQ it assigned in this table.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 04/14/2009 12:16 PM   
Hello brother,

I am using ZEBRONICS 400W SMPS which has 24 pin ATX which supplies power to the motherboard and the conventional 4 pin connector to power up the CPU (processor).

I am not using any front panel connectors at all as I am having a Creative 5.1 Inspire 5200 speaker system which is working fine. Also, I use no USB headers provided on the board but using only the rear panel USB Port to connect my pen drive.

I removed one memory module and again re-installed Windows XP SP2 with the same result. I even tried VISTA Ultimate which shows up the LAN connection in the taskbar but with a Yellow Exclamation mark in the Device Manager against the item NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller with the same "Error Code 10 This Device cannot start".

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Regarding IRQ allocation, I shall try to get it in my next booting because, today I am switching on my PC in the morning and first I am checking the forum for any of your further suggestions.
Thanks a lot for your efforts and guidance.

Meanwhile the motherboard was purchased on 05/11/2008 and carries a 3 year replacement warranty and I propose to return the board next week unless the LAN is working properly.

Regards,
Sivakumar B

[quote name='Greybear' post='529940' date='Apr 14 2009, 05:46 PM']Sorry, forgot the CMD. Now try it.

During the posting of the computer, there should be a screen right before Windows takes over...It is a Table with IRQs and devices. Press the Pause / Break key to stop it and write down all the devices and the IRQ it assigned in this table.[/quote]
Hello brother,

I am using ZEBRONICS 400W SMPS which has 24 pin ATX which supplies power to the motherboard and the conventional 4 pin connector to power up the CPU (processor).

I am not using any front panel connectors at all as I am having a Creative 5.1 Inspire 5200 speaker system which is working fine. Also, I use no USB headers provided on the board but using only the rear panel USB Port to connect my pen drive.

I removed one memory module and again re-installed Windows XP SP2 with the same result. I even tried VISTA Ultimate which shows up the LAN connection in the taskbar but with a Yellow Exclamation mark in the Device Manager against the item NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller with the same "Error Code 10 This Device cannot start".

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Regarding IRQ allocation, I shall try to get it in my next booting because, today I am switching on my PC in the morning and first I am checking the forum for any of your further suggestions.

Meanwhile the motherboard was purchased on 05/11/2008 and carries a 3 year replacement warranty and I propose to return the board next week unless the LAN is working properly.

Regards,

Sivakumar B

[quote name='Greybear' post='529940' date='Apr 14 2009, 05:46 PM']Sorry, forgot the CMD. Now try it.

Posted 04/15/2009 05:34 AM   
Hello,

I am giving below the IRQ Table just before booting up the system.

Device Class Device Class IRQ
0754 500 Memory Controller NA
0752 0C05 SMBus Controller 5
0753 0B40 Processors 11
077B 0C03 USB 1.0/1.1 OHCI Ctrlr 10
077C 0C03 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller 11
077D 0C03 USB 1.01/1.1 OHCI Ctrlr 7
077E 0C03 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller 5
0759 0101 IDE Controller 14
0774 0403 Multimedia Device Ctrlr 7
04D0 0101 IDE Controller 11
0760 0200 Network Controller 15
3044 0C00 Serial Bus Controller 10
0848 0C00 Display Controller 5
ACPI Controller 9

Hope the above details will suffice your requirement to study the problem

Regards,
Sivakumar B
[quote name='informskumar' post='530282' date='Apr 15 2009, 11:04 AM']Hello brother,

Regards,
Sivakumar B[/quote]
Hello,

I am giving below the IRQ Table just before booting up the system.

Device Class Device Class IRQ

0754 500 Memory Controller NA

0752 0C05 SMBus Controller 5

0753 0B40 Processors 11

077B 0C03 USB 1.0/1.1 OHCI Ctrlr 10

077C 0C03 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller 11

077D 0C03 USB 1.01/1.1 OHCI Ctrlr 7

077E 0C03 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller 5

0759 0101 IDE Controller 14

04D0 0101 IDE Controller 11

0760 0200 Network Controller 15

3044 0C00 Serial Bus Controller 10

0848 0C00 Display Controller 5

ACPI Controller 9

Hope the above details will suffice your requirement to study the problem

Regards,

Sivakumar B

[quote name='informskumar' post='530282' date='Apr 15 2009, 11:04 AM']Hello brother,

Regards,

Sivakumar B

Posted 04/15/2009 07:28 AM   
Two operating systems, both show same issue with the Network device....

In the BIOS is there anyway to reserve IRQs? If so, reserve the IRQ 15. Trying to push Network off that IRQ. If it wont reserve 15, reserve 11 and lets see where it pushes it.

Last thing, disable the PnP in the BIOS. See if that IRQ table remains the same, then reinstall the OS once more. If that still gives same problem, return the board as defective onboard device, make sure to explain completely how to reproduce the issue on the RMA form.

Now had you said you had a sound card or a tv capture card install, Id said pull it. As generally these items are PnP Compatible, not Compliant and cause issue with LAN first normally.
Two operating systems, both show same issue with the Network device....

In the BIOS is there anyway to reserve IRQs? If so, reserve the IRQ 15. Trying to push Network off that IRQ. If it wont reserve 15, reserve 11 and lets see where it pushes it.

Last thing, disable the PnP in the BIOS. See if that IRQ table remains the same, then reinstall the OS once more. If that still gives same problem, return the board as defective onboard device, make sure to explain completely how to reproduce the issue on the RMA form.

Now had you said you had a sound card or a tv capture card install, Id said pull it. As generally these items are PnP Compatible, not Compliant and cause issue with LAN first normally.

Posted 04/15/2009 11:56 AM   
Dear Friend,

As I had already mentioned, there is no other option in the BIOS of the motherboard to meddle with IRQs manually and there is only one option to ENABLE/DISABLE ACPI. If I disable ACPI, the system will not boot at all. I am not using any add-on cards.

Any way, thanks for all your support and suggestions. I think I may have to return the board (sad...!!!) as I liked the board's build quality and the components used and the layout. If you don't mind, please see the pic of the board which I am attaching. But I have only one relief that it is convered by replacement warranty and I will get it either serviced or a new board.

Regards and best wishes,
Sivakumar B
[quote name='Greybear' post='530390' date='Apr 15 2009, 05:26 PM']Two operating systems, both show same issue with the Network device....

Now had you said you had a sound card or a tv capture card install, Id said pull it. As generally these items are PnP Compatible, not Compliant and cause issue with LAN first normally.[/quote]
Dear Friend,

As I had already mentioned, there is no other option in the BIOS of the motherboard to meddle with IRQs manually and there is only one option to ENABLE/DISABLE ACPI. If I disable ACPI, the system will not boot at all. I am not using any add-on cards.

Any way, thanks for all your support and suggestions. I think I may have to return the board (sad...!!!) as I liked the board's build quality and the components used and the layout. If you don't mind, please see the pic of the board which I am attaching. But I have only one relief that it is convered by replacement warranty and I will get it either serviced or a new board.

Regards and best wishes,

Sivakumar B

[quote name='Greybear' post='530390' date='Apr 15 2009, 05:26 PM']Two operating systems, both show same issue with the Network device....

Posted 04/15/2009 03:01 PM   
Not a bad looking board, looks compact.

I think its something specifically wrong with just the one you got, not all of them. Been know to happen with even the other good names, not all boards are perfect.

I hadnt forgotten that you said there were limited options :) - was just thinking that sometimes other option appear when the right option is disabled...PnP disabled might have opened other options like IRQ assignment ability.
Not a bad looking board, looks compact.

I think its something specifically wrong with just the one you got, not all of them. Been know to happen with even the other good names, not all boards are perfect.

I hadnt forgotten that you said there were limited options :) - was just thinking that sometimes other option appear when the right option is disabled...PnP disabled might have opened other options like IRQ assignment ability.

Posted 04/15/2009 05:56 PM   
Scroll To Top