No sound using DVI-HDMI connection to LCD TV from Geforce 9800GTX+ No sound from HDMI TV using Gefor
I got a brand new Geforce 9800GTX+ (Gigabyte model, with 1Gig of video memory)

Installed it on my pc, and after installing latest drivers for it, there is no longer any sound coming through to my TV. The audio is still connected via red & blue RCA input connectors on the TV, coming from the standard PC sound output. Setup and sound worked fine previously when I was using my Geforce 6600GT.

My specs are as follows:-
CPU: AMD Athlon 3200XP (2.0GHz)
MB: ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe

Apparently the new Gigabyte 9800GTX+ has a S/PDIF input connector that needs to be hooked up to the S/PDIF header on the MB to enable sound to be transmitted via the DVI-HDMI connection to the LCD TV. There doesn't appear to be an option anywhere in the graphics drivers nor onboard sound drivers to prevent this default sound re-routing which I believe is what is causing a loss of sound.

Since the ASUS MB doesn't have a spare S/PDIF header on the MB itself (the S/PDIF appears hardwired on the MB to output to a coaxial port), I dug out my old Soundblaster card (Audigy), and hooked it up (after un-installing onboard sound drivers). This card has an equivalent S/PDIF output header pin that is not provided on my ASUS MB. Confirmed that the Soundblaster card is still working, after activating it on another PC which is NOT using DVI-HDMI connection.

Have hooked up S/PDIF output header from the soundcard to the input header on the Gigabyte Geforce 9800GTX+, but still no sound. Have tried the following:-
1) Re-installing Nvidia Geforce drivers (latest 182.08 i think)
2) Swapping the S/PDIF pin and ground pin connector on the soundcard (since there is no label indicating which pin is ground on the sound card)

Still no sound. Can anybody advise? Thanks.

Another thing that may be of note is the fact that prior to the NVIDIA Geforce driver (for the new card) being installed, sound is still being delivered through the old PC standard audio output, but this stops as soon as the driver is installed (re-routing through S/PDIF i think).
I got a brand new Geforce 9800GTX+ (Gigabyte model, with 1Gig of video memory)

Installed it on my pc, and after installing latest drivers for it, there is no longer any sound coming through to my TV. The audio is still connected via red & blue RCA input connectors on the TV, coming from the standard PC sound output. Setup and sound worked fine previously when I was using my Geforce 6600GT.

Apparently the new Gigabyte 9800GTX+ has a S/PDIF input connector that needs to be hooked up to the S/PDIF header on the MB to enable sound to be transmitted via the DVI-HDMI connection to the LCD TV. There doesn't appear to be an option anywhere in the graphics drivers nor onboard sound drivers to prevent this default sound re-routing which I believe is what is causing a loss of sound.

Since the ASUS MB doesn't have a spare S/PDIF header on the MB itself (the S/PDIF appears hardwired on the MB to output to a coaxial port), I dug out my old Soundblaster card (Audigy), and hooked it up (after un-installing onboard sound drivers). This card has an equivalent S/PDIF output header pin that is not provided on my ASUS MB. Confirmed that the Soundblaster card is still working, after activating it on another PC which is NOT using DVI-HDMI connection.

Have hooked up S/PDIF output header from the soundcard to the input header on the Gigabyte Geforce 9800GTX+, but still no sound. Have tried the following:-

2) Swapping the S/PDIF pin and ground pin connector on the soundcard (since there is no label indicating which pin is ground on the sound card)

Another thing that may be of note is the fact that prior to the NVIDIA Geforce driver (for the new card) being installed, sound is still being delivered through the old PC standard audio output, but this stops as soon as the driver is installed (re-routing through S/PDIF i think).

Posted 03/27/2009 12:01 AM   
I have a similar problem - A laptop connected through HDMI to my LG TV no longer deliver sound after updating drivers.

I noticed a weird thing though: if I just switch source on the TV (watch TV for example) and then go back to the PC source, the sound comes back.
I have a similar problem - A laptop connected through HDMI to my LG TV no longer deliver sound after updating drivers.

I noticed a weird thing though: if I just switch source on the TV (watch TV for example) and then go back to the PC source, the sound comes back.

Posted 04/01/2009 07:05 AM   
Yeah, the nVidia video drivers seem to be taking out my sound too. The moment I uninstall them, the sound works again.

My guess? The drivers are muting or redirecting some important audio channel, and gives the user interface no way to change it. It does the same thing in Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

I'd really like to stop using my headphones and get my TV speakers working... :)
Yeah, the nVidia video drivers seem to be taking out my sound too. The moment I uninstall them, the sound works again.

My guess? The drivers are muting or redirecting some important audio channel, and gives the user interface no way to change it. It does the same thing in Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

I'd really like to stop using my headphones and get my TV speakers working... :)

Posted 05/14/2009 09:16 PM   
I figured out my problem.

There was a 3DVision hotfix that I got from nvidia.custhelp.com.

I was about to submit a ticket, and then they had a list of suggested links. The link to the hotfix was first on the list.

Thanks nVidia!
I figured out my problem.

There was a 3DVision hotfix that I got from nvidia.custhelp.com.

I was about to submit a ticket, and then they had a list of suggested links. The link to the hotfix was first on the list.

Thanks nVidia!

Posted 05/19/2009 11:27 PM   
I know this is a bit of an older thread but for Maverick and all the others using DVI to HDMI cables and lacking sound, the problem is your card. You MUST have a card with built-in HDMI. The header that Maverick connected the SPDIF output of the soundcard to doesn't do anything because there is no HDMI port on your card. All you are doing is sending the DVI video signal over an HDMI cable. You will need to downgrade your card to one of the mid-range models in order to get real HDMI connectivity as the high-end Nvidia cards typically do not have HDMI ports due to the fact that they would have to sacrifice a DVI port to get it and that nixes multi-monitor functionality with digital flat panels as the larger PC LCDs don't have and can't use HDMI yet.
I know this is a bit of an older thread but for Maverick and all the others using DVI to HDMI cables and lacking sound, the problem is your card. You MUST have a card with built-in HDMI. The header that Maverick connected the SPDIF output of the soundcard to doesn't do anything because there is no HDMI port on your card. All you are doing is sending the DVI video signal over an HDMI cable. You will need to downgrade your card to one of the mid-range models in order to get real HDMI connectivity as the high-end Nvidia cards typically do not have HDMI ports due to the fact that they would have to sacrifice a DVI port to get it and that nixes multi-monitor functionality with digital flat panels as the larger PC LCDs don't have and can't use HDMI yet.

Posted 06/16/2009 09:07 PM   
I'm having a similar problem.

I had an 8600GT DDR3, that I dualviewed with my LG HDTV.

DVI>HDMI cable since the TV doesn't have DVI and the Card doesn't have HDMI. and a 3.5" cable for audio.

Worked great until my card died and I replaced it with a 9500GT DDR2

Using the same wire set-up above, I get no audio through my LG HDTV now. If I unplug the HDMI end of the cable from the back of the TV I can here the audio, when I plug it back in Audio goes away.

The only reason the LG HDTV would do this is if it's receiving an audio signal from the DVI>HDMI cable. But if it's sending an Audio signal, why am I not getting the sound? Or should I instead be asking why is my 9500 sending an audio signal at all when my 8600 wasn't?

Any help or links to a solution would be appreciated.
I'm having a similar problem.

DVI>HDMI cable since the TV doesn't have DVI and the Card doesn't have HDMI. and a 3.5" cable for audio.

Using the same wire set-up above, I get no audio through my LG HDTV now. If I unplug the HDMI end of the cable from the back of the TV I can here the audio, when I plug it back in Audio goes away.

The only reason the LG HDTV would do this is if it's receiving an audio signal from the DVI>HDMI cable. But if it's sending an Audio signal, why am I not getting the sound? Or should I instead be asking why is my 9500 sending an audio signal at all when my 8600 wasn't?

Posted 06/19/2009 03:12 AM   
[quote name='Malific' post='554473' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:12 PM']I'm having a similar problem.

Any help or links to a solution would be appreciated.[/quote]

What audio are you hearing? Basically, if you connect a DVI-HDMI or HDMI cable to a display, it automatically assumes that audio is coming in from that respective input. That's perfectly normal behavior. Unless you're saying that when plugged in, that DVI/HDMI cable is knocking out the audio for every other input on your TV. If that is the case, it's certainly not normal but it could just be a screw-up with the HDMI chipset in your display.
[quote name='Malific' post='554473' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:12 PM']I'm having a similar problem.

What audio are you hearing? Basically, if you connect a DVI-HDMI or HDMI cable to a display, it automatically assumes that audio is coming in from that respective input. That's perfectly normal behavior. Unless you're saying that when plugged in, that DVI/HDMI cable is knocking out the audio for every other input on your TV. If that is the case, it's certainly not normal but it could just be a screw-up with the HDMI chipset in your display.

Posted 06/19/2009 02:58 PM   
[quote name='LeggoTheEggoNow' post='554673' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:58 AM']What audio are you hearing? Basically, if you connect a DVI-HDMI or HDMI cable to a display, it automatically assumes that audio is coming in from that respective input. That's perfectly normal behavior. Unless you're saying that when plugged in, that DVI/HDMI cable is knocking out the audio for every other input on your TV. If that is the case, it's certainly not normal but it could just be a screw-up with the HDMI chipset in your display.[/quote]

I'm not getting any audio.

The TV is designed to use the 3.5 audio when it gets the HDMI from a PC, I was able to do this with my 8600 with no trouble, but for some reason when I plug in the HDMI from the 9500, it kills the audio from the 3.5, and I'm left with silence.

Switching to other inputs on the TV they all work fine, so my best guess is it has something to do with the 9500 sending a different type of signal than the 8600.
[quote name='LeggoTheEggoNow' post='554673' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:58 AM']What audio are you hearing? Basically, if you connect a DVI-HDMI or HDMI cable to a display, it automatically assumes that audio is coming in from that respective input. That's perfectly normal behavior. Unless you're saying that when plugged in, that DVI/HDMI cable is knocking out the audio for every other input on your TV. If that is the case, it's certainly not normal but it could just be a screw-up with the HDMI chipset in your display.

I'm not getting any audio.

The TV is designed to use the 3.5 audio when it gets the HDMI from a PC, I was able to do this with my 8600 with no trouble, but for some reason when I plug in the HDMI from the 9500, it kills the audio from the 3.5, and I'm left with silence.

Switching to other inputs on the TV they all work fine, so my best guess is it has something to do with the 9500 sending a different type of signal than the 8600.

Posted 06/19/2009 08:47 PM   
[quote name='maverick09' post='523195' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:01 AM']I got a brand new Geforce 9800GTX+ (Gigabyte model, with 1Gig of video memory)

Another thing that may be of note is the fact that prior to the NVIDIA Geforce driver (for the new card) being installed, sound is still being delivered through the old PC standard audio output, but this stops as soon as the driver is installed (re-routing through S/PDIF i think).[/quote]

The problem is old but would not happen with an LED TV. [url="http://www.led-tvs.info/"]LED TV[/url] is a term used by Samsung to describe its line of LCD (liquid crystal display) TVsthat use LED backlighting.
LED-backlit LCD TVs do differ from conventional LCD TVs in some important areas:
1- They can produce a very bright image and deep blacks (doesn't work for Edge-LED
2- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim.
3- They can offer lower power consumption.
4- They can offer a wider colour gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.
So, good luck...
[quote name='maverick09' post='523195' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:01 AM']I got a brand new Geforce 9800GTX+ (Gigabyte model, with 1Gig of video memory)

The problem is old but would not happen with an LED TV. LED TV is a term used by Samsung to describe its line of LCD (liquid crystal display) TVsthat use LED backlighting.

LED-backlit LCD TVs do differ from conventional LCD TVs in some important areas:

1- They can produce a very bright image and deep blacks (doesn't work for Edge-LED

2- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim.

3- They can offer lower power consumption.

4- They can offer a wider colour gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.

So, good luck...

Posted 07/25/2009 09:44 AM   
Scroll To Top