9800GT 1GB - Display Driver Not Responding Had this problem since I bought the card, nothing seems t
I bought an EVGA 9800GT 1GB because I heard great things about nvidia drivers and their stability. I've had a lot of trouble with it in 3D apps and would like to know what I can do from here.

What is happening:
During 3D games (World of Warcraft usually, once or twice in other things) the screen will freeze. When I restart windows it tells me it's recovered from a serious error. It doesn't always happen, it almost seems like it waits for me to think things are fixed before it locks up mid-raid or something.

The machine:
Windows XP SP3
EVGA 9800GT 1GB
4GB OCZ DDR2-800 Reaper RAM
Quad-Core Q9550 CPU
ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI Mobo

The facts:
[list]
[*]After it locks up I can still go to another computer and RDP onto the desktop. There the display driver shows an error saying it has stopped responding. When I log out of the remote desktop and go back to the actual computer I can log in again and continue working. So it seems like there is no hardware problem cause the display driver can be switched back and forth and start working again without a restart.
[*]I've tried changing my memory settings from auto to the timed settings rated for the DDR2 RAM and back, nothing has changed.
[*]I've tried every combination of WoW settings and Nvidia control panel settings I can think of, from default to combinations of everything and back again. No change.
[/list]

I have a feeling this is a problem very specific to my configuration. Are there any tools that can help me trace where the error occurs so I can provide feedback to nvidia, or does anyone have suggestions or similar problems?
I bought an EVGA 9800GT 1GB because I heard great things about nvidia drivers and their stability. I've had a lot of trouble with it in 3D apps and would like to know what I can do from here.

What is happening:

During 3D games (World of Warcraft usually, once or twice in other things) the screen will freeze. When I restart windows it tells me it's recovered from a serious error. It doesn't always happen, it almost seems like it waits for me to think things are fixed before it locks up mid-raid or something.

The machine:

Windows XP SP3

EVGA 9800GT 1GB

4GB OCZ DDR2-800 Reaper RAM

Quad-Core Q9550 CPU

ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI Mobo

The facts:

• After it locks up I can still go to another computer and RDP onto the desktop. There the display driver shows an error saying it has stopped responding. When I log out of the remote desktop and go back to the actual computer I can log in again and continue working. So it seems like there is no hardware problem cause the display driver can be switched back and forth and start working again without a restart.
  • I've tried changing my memory settings from auto to the timed settings rated for the DDR2 RAM and back, nothing has changed.
  • I've tried every combination of WoW settings and Nvidia control panel settings I can think of, from default to combinations of everything and back again. No change.

I have a feeling this is a problem very specific to my configuration. Are there any tools that can help me trace where the error occurs so I can provide feedback to nvidia, or does anyone have suggestions or similar problems?

Posted 03/16/2009 03:40 PM   
Scroll To Top