NVIDIA Win 7 181.71 driver don't install
Hi,

I have tried to get my XFX 6200 card working in Windows 7 Beta without any success.
The windows update version (179.43) installs but after reboot the driver says code 43
(device has reported problem)

(I have Windows XP SP3 on the same machine and the card works without
any problem in XP)

Tried a later Vista versions 181.20 and 182.06 with the same code 43 results.

Found a windows 7 driver on NVIDIA download claiming to support this card (181.71)
but the strange thing is that after installed and rebooted the previously version is
still listed in the device manager. That is, if windows update version is installed and
I then install 181.71 after reboot the device manager still says 179.43. The same
thing happen if I install 181.20 and then 181.71. After reboot the device manager says
I have 181.20 installed. Seems that the 181.71 driver is not getting installed.
There is no error message just the normal message saying I have to reboot after
installation to get it working.

Anyone having any idea what's going on?

Regards.
Hi,

I have tried to get my XFX 6200 card working in Windows 7 Beta without any success.

The windows update version (179.43) installs but after reboot the driver says code 43

(device has reported problem)

(I have Windows XP SP3 on the same machine and the card works without

any problem in XP)

Tried a later Vista versions 181.20 and 182.06 with the same code 43 results.

Found a windows 7 driver on NVIDIA download claiming to support this card (181.71)

but the strange thing is that after installed and rebooted the previously version is

still listed in the device manager. That is, if windows update version is installed and

I then install 181.71 after reboot the device manager still says 179.43. The same

thing happen if I install 181.20 and then 181.71. After reboot the device manager says

I have 181.20 installed. Seems that the 181.71 driver is not getting installed.

There is no error message just the normal message saying I have to reboot after

installation to get it working.

Anyone having any idea what's going on?

Regards.

Posted 03/03/2009 06:38 PM   
Disable the onboard video card.

EDIT: or if no onboard or already disabled then try this:
Install the driver. Now go to the device manager.
Manually removed the unknown device (un-install) in device manager, then hit the refresh button then the GPU is properly detected, and after installing restart.
Disable the onboard video card.

Manually removed the unknown device (un-install) in device manager, then hit the refresh button then the GPU is properly detected, and after installing restart.

Posted 03/03/2009 06:48 PM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' post='513181' date='Mar 3 2009, 07:48 PM']Disable the onboard video card.

Manually removed the unknown device (un-install) in device manager, then hit the refresh button then the GPU is properly detected, and after installing restart.[/quote]

I could try that, as I have the exact same problem, the driver simply will not install.

I have removed the previous driver, reboot in safe mode, ran driver sweeper, reboot, tried to install the driver, but no luck. Tried it as administrator, tried it in safe mode, nothing, uninstalled the unknown video card in device manager, then did the whole process again, nothing.

Extracted the driver contents to a folder with winRAR, and than via Device Manager, look for a local driver, when I point to the folder with the extracted files, it says it experiences an error with the installer saying it cannot perform the task. See attachment.

[EDIT] Also, when I run the installer, it tells me everytime, that another hardware installation is running, but nothing else is being installed for hardware at all, it even says so in safe mode.
[quote name='Stickywulf' post='513181' date='Mar 3 2009, 07:48 PM']Disable the onboard video card.

I could try that, as I have the exact same problem, the driver simply will not install.

I have removed the previous driver, reboot in safe mode, ran driver sweeper, reboot, tried to install the driver, but no luck. Tried it as administrator, tried it in safe mode, nothing, uninstalled the unknown video card in device manager, then did the whole process again, nothing.

Extracted the driver contents to a folder with winRAR, and than via Device Manager, look for a local driver, when I point to the folder with the extracted files, it says it experiences an error with the installer saying it cannot perform the task. See attachment.

[EDIT] Also, when I run the installer, it tells me everytime, that another hardware installation is running, but nothing else is being installed for hardware at all, it even says so in safe mode.
Attachments

driver_problem.jpg

Posted 03/03/2009 08:58 PM   
H_Ackermans, in Device Manager, after uninstalling the unknown device and before restarting the computer, from the Action menu choose Scan for Hardware Changes. The video card should detect as as Standard VGA adaptor.

If still not working, in the START menu search box type msconfig.
In the General tab, choose Selective Startup with Load System Services only.
Reboot the computer a couple of times then try installing the driver again.

Make sure any onboard video is already disabled.
Make sure all nvidia software is uninstalled (ie nvidia physx driver, nvidia system tools).
H_Ackermans, in Device Manager, after uninstalling the unknown device and before restarting the computer, from the Action menu choose Scan for Hardware Changes. The video card should detect as as Standard VGA adaptor.

Make sure all nvidia software is uninstalled (ie nvidia physx driver, nvidia system tools).

Posted 03/04/2009 02:17 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' post='513341' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:17 AM']H_Ackermans, in Device Manager, after uninstalling the unknown device and before restarting the computer, from the Action menu choose Scan for Hardware Changes. The video card should detect as as Standard VGA adaptor.

Make sure all nvidia software is uninstalled (ie nvidia physx driver, nvidia system tools).[/quote]

I have now tested more variations. First of all, windows update automatically installs 179.43. If trying to install NVIDIA's
181.71_geforce_win7_32bit_international_beta.exe the after the 179.43 installation, the installation proceeds to the screen where you
are asked to reboot. In the fine text it says "your system has not been changed". But I'm still asked to reboot
now or later!? After rebooting the 179.42 version of course is still there. Trying to update driver from device manager
and pointing to 181.71 the device manager tells me the driver is already up to date. Seems like the device
manager sees 179.43 and 181.71 as the same driver.

Doing exactly as you told me above I finally succeed in getting the 181.71 installed. At least the device
manager tells me that version. But now I'm back to the Code 43 error again (SIGH).
Have not any more ideas, but to wait for a newer Win7 versions for the 6200 card.
[quote name='Stickywulf' post='513341' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:17 AM']H_Ackermans, in Device Manager, after uninstalling the unknown device and before restarting the computer, from the Action menu choose Scan for Hardware Changes. The video card should detect as as Standard VGA adaptor.

I have now tested more variations. First of all, windows update automatically installs 179.43. If trying to install NVIDIA's

181.71_geforce_win7_32bit_international_beta.exe the after the 179.43 installation, the installation proceeds to the screen where you

are asked to reboot. In the fine text it says "your system has not been changed". But I'm still asked to reboot

now or later!? After rebooting the 179.42 version of course is still there. Trying to update driver from device manager

and pointing to 181.71 the device manager tells me the driver is already up to date. Seems like the device

manager sees 179.43 and 181.71 as the same driver.

Doing exactly as you told me above I finally succeed in getting the 181.71 installed. At least the device

manager tells me that version. But now I'm back to the Code 43 error again (SIGH).

Have not any more ideas, but to wait for a newer Win7 versions for the 6200 card.

Posted 03/04/2009 08:06 PM   
Bernhard, [b]first uninstall the nvidia display driver[/b], nvidia physx driver and any other related nvidia software.
Change the Windows update settings so that it does not automatically install drivers.

[b]Find any remaining driver files[/b] in the following directories and delete them.
C:\Windows\System32\drivers
C:\Windows\System32
You can recognise nvidia driver files since they all start with the letters 'nv' and when you hover the mouse over them it will show the driver version.

Then go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and find any folders which begin with the letters nv_disp.inf, take ownership of the folder, and then delete the contents.

Once you reboot the computer, the video card will be detected as "Standard VGA Adaptor", with only basic VGA driver installed.
Confirm that the only video driver file installed is for the standard VGA adaptor otherwise go back to the first step and start again.

Hopefully then you can install the new display driver without a problem.
Good luck.
Bernhard, first uninstall the nvidia display driver, nvidia physx driver and any other related nvidia software.

Change the Windows update settings so that it does not automatically install drivers.

Find any remaining driver files in the following directories and delete them.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

C:\Windows\System32

You can recognise nvidia driver files since they all start with the letters 'nv' and when you hover the mouse over them it will show the driver version.

Then go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and find any folders which begin with the letters nv_disp.inf, take ownership of the folder, and then delete the contents.

Once you reboot the computer, the video card will be detected as "Standard VGA Adaptor", with only basic VGA driver installed.

Confirm that the only video driver file installed is for the standard VGA adaptor otherwise go back to the first step and start again.

Hopefully then you can install the new display driver without a problem.

Good luck.

Posted 03/04/2009 11:40 PM   
I upgraded to build 7048 and after that, the installation of 181.71 went without any problems.
I upgraded to build 7048 and after that, the installation of 181.71 went without any problems.

Posted 03/05/2009 02:23 PM   
I tried exactly as Stickywulf described and installed the 181.71 driver.
The driver installs and after reboot there is still the basic VGA driver.
Uninstalled again and tried the 182.08 driver which also installs and
after reboot there is the code 43 error. (Both in Win7 and Vista compatibility mode)

Uninstalls and tries an older version (96.85) and installs it in Vista compatibility mode.
It installs and after reboot the card is running!! Aero etc is fine and the WEI have
dubbled.

The trick may thus to be upgrade Win 7 or downgrade the driver.
I tried exactly as Stickywulf described and installed the 181.71 driver.

The driver installs and after reboot there is still the basic VGA driver.

Uninstalled again and tried the 182.08 driver which also installs and

after reboot there is the code 43 error. (Both in Win7 and Vista compatibility mode)

Uninstalls and tries an older version (96.85) and installs it in Vista compatibility mode.

It installs and after reboot the card is running!! Aero etc is fine and the WEI have

dubbled.

The trick may thus to be upgrade Win 7 or downgrade the driver.

Posted 03/05/2009 09:30 PM   
[quote name='H_Ackermans' post='513244' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:58 AM']I could try that, as I have the exact same problem, the driver simply will not install.[/quote]

Yep same... It just goes thru the install then fails near the end......POS nvidia! You would think being as its almost the same as vista after 2+ years they could make a driver!
[quote name='H_Ackermans' post='513244' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:58 AM']I could try that, as I have the exact same problem, the driver simply will not install.

Yep same... It just goes thru the install then fails near the end......POS nvidia! You would think being as its almost the same as vista after 2+ years they could make a driver!

Posted 03/14/2009 03:01 AM   
Scroll To Top