BLACK SCREEN FIX end the frustration
Just like to say Thanks to Nvidia... for Nothing.

I bought a cheap 8800gts and was getting the black screen in desktop after installing the 181.22 on Vista pro Service pk1, I've spent hours looking through this and other forums and although the answer is out there its hard finding it.

So i hope this is a definative answer to the problem for you, it was for me... but maybe i was lucky! /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

You DO NOT need to flash ur bios... this could screw ur pc up if ur not positive u know what ur doing with it, you DO NOT need to re-install windows or format your hard drive... laborious task and not neccesary!
Download 3 things.... Your Driver, CCleaner and Driver Sweeper

Go to add/remove progs in Cpanel, remove nvidia drivers, physix and anything else that starts with N and ends in vidia :wacko: Get rid of the nvidia network controller also, ntune and nvidia monitor... not sure if i needed to but i can see my screen with a new driver, so maybe worth u doing it also.

Go to device manager and display adapters and un-install your card

Go to your C drive and delete two nvidia folders... the 1st is C:Users/Ur pc name/App data/Local/nvidia corp if you cant see app data you need to go to Cpanel and click folder options/view/show hidden files and folders

the second folder ta get rid is just as u enter ur C drive probably half way down.

Re-boot in safe mode (F8 or msconfig/boot/safe mode) from desktop

When u get into desktop, right click and personalise and make ur icons a bit smaller (easier to work with) Windows has probably started installing a standard VGA driver, let it carry-on. Run Driver sweeper and analyse and make sure nvidia, ageia physx and ATi- display are ticked (if they are present) and then clean. Re-boot... still with safe mode and then run CCleaner and fix registry issues also. When thats done your nearly ready for the new driver.... Re-boot... Sounds like a ball-ache all the re-booting but thats how i did it myself.

Do a quick final check for any nvidia crap on ur pc, when ur happy the crap is gone... put some fresh crap on ur pc and install the driver when its on re-boot...have a hammer ready :blink:

When windows comes up and desktop loads ur notice the same flaming issue... black screen! Dont panic, for some reason the driver boots u up on your other monitor... meaning... when i go to nvidia control panel i can change my display to my tv... so i turned the av channel on my tv, and there it was MY DESKTOP. right click/nvidia control panel/set up multiple displays. I have only had to do this once, boots up as normal when u make ur monitor ur primary device.

Theres a good chance you dont need to do all this stuff and only change ur primary display device.... let me know if thats a quick fix.

Sorry it was so long winded... in reality it was about 28 hours for me /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Hope this helped

Blade

www.ubaclan.co.uk/forum
Just like to say Thanks to Nvidia... for Nothing.

I bought a cheap 8800gts and was getting the black screen in desktop after installing the 181.22 on Vista pro Service pk1, I've spent hours looking through this and other forums and although the answer is out there its hard finding it.

So i hope this is a definative answer to the problem for you, it was for me... but maybe i was lucky! /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

You DO NOT need to flash ur bios... this could screw ur pc up if ur not positive u know what ur doing with it, you DO NOT need to re-install windows or format your hard drive... laborious task and not neccesary!

Download 3 things.... Your Driver, CCleaner and Driver Sweeper

Go to add/remove progs in Cpanel, remove nvidia drivers, physix and anything else that starts with N and ends in vidia :wacko: Get rid of the nvidia network controller also, ntune and nvidia monitor... not sure if i needed to but i can see my screen with a new driver, so maybe worth u doing it also.

Go to device manager and display adapters and un-install your card

Go to your C drive and delete two nvidia folders... the 1st is C:Users/Ur pc name/App data/Local/nvidia corp if you cant see app data you need to go to Cpanel and click folder options/view/show hidden files and folders

the second folder ta get rid is just as u enter ur C drive probably half way down.

Re-boot in safe mode (F8 or msconfig/boot/safe mode) from desktop

When u get into desktop, right click and personalise and make ur icons a bit smaller (easier to work with) Windows has probably started installing a standard VGA driver, let it carry-on. Run Driver sweeper and analyse and make sure nvidia, ageia physx and ATi- display are ticked (if they are present) and then clean. Re-boot... still with safe mode and then run CCleaner and fix registry issues also. When thats done your nearly ready for the new driver.... Re-boot... Sounds like a ball-ache all the re-booting but thats how i did it myself.

Do a quick final check for any nvidia crap on ur pc, when ur happy the crap is gone... put some fresh crap on ur pc and install the driver when its on re-boot...have a hammer ready :blink:

When windows comes up and desktop loads ur notice the same flaming issue... black screen! Dont panic, for some reason the driver boots u up on your other monitor... meaning... when i go to nvidia control panel i can change my display to my tv... so i turned the av channel on my tv, and there it was MY DESKTOP. right click/nvidia control panel/set up multiple displays. I have only had to do this once, boots up as normal when u make ur monitor ur primary device.

Theres a good chance you dont need to do all this stuff and only change ur primary display device.... let me know if thats a quick fix.

Sorry it was so long winded... in reality it was about 28 hours for me /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Hope this helped

Blade

www.ubaclan.co.uk/forum

Posted 02/22/2009 10:32 AM   
Thanks for the post but this did not help resolve the issue.
Thanks for the post but this did not help resolve the issue.

Posted 02/22/2009 05:35 PM   
Given I only have one monitor, this is pretty useless.
Given I only have one monitor, this is pretty useless.

Posted 02/22/2009 10:18 PM   
Thanks for a great way to get rid of all the nvidia drivers in my system! I've been trying really hard for that /devil.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':devil:' />
The bad thing is that now there must be something wrong with my card (I've been rebooting again and again for several days before I read your post...) cause windows recognizes the graphic card as 2 different cards and nothing really works... any suggestions? :wacko:
Thanks for a great way to get rid of all the nvidia drivers in my system! I've been trying really hard for that /devil.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':devil:' />

The bad thing is that now there must be something wrong with my card (I've been rebooting again and again for several days before I read your post...) cause windows recognizes the graphic card as 2 different cards and nothing really works... any suggestions? :wacko:

Posted 02/23/2009 07:11 AM   
i did say it was the answer for me to fix my black screen... and might not help everyone.

Dundalis try changing ur primary display device in safe mode?

diver.... i dont know m8, sry
i did say it was the answer for me to fix my black screen... and might not help everyone.

Dundalis try changing ur primary display device in safe mode?

diver.... i dont know m8, sry

Posted 02/23/2009 07:52 AM   
Try this fix. It worked for me:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90380"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90380[/url]

Hopefully this helps.
Try this fix. It worked for me:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90380

Hopefully this helps.

Posted 02/23/2009 03:00 PM   
[quote name='dakaki' post='509550' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:00 PM']Try this fix. It worked for me:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90380"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90380[/url]

Hopefully this helps.[/quote]

let me tell you the best way to get rid of anything that starts with N and ends with Vidia, just remove it from your freakin machine!!! :ph34r: I'm really serious, My mobo is ASUS with Nvidia chipset, and I had Vista Ultimate, NVIDIA drivers caused Vista to hang , complte freeze because of SATA Drive Controller !!!! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> i spend weeks to fix and I had no hope...
So I installed WIN XP 64Bit edition, machine is now clean, I went ahead to install NVDIA display drivers for my GTX+ 9800 Graphic Card, and guess what, i get the black screen after windows loads !! so NVIDIA failed twice on me now!!

so plan: just go to the other side of the world, stay away from nvidia....

If they care about thier reputation and future business, where is thier testing team?? if they well test stuff before it gets out, we will have no issues, and if they have a system in place to make it easy to trouble shoot by email or by phone, I would have stayed with them, but guess what, they do not have that!!!

I'm really pissed to have a $1200 machine with 22 LCD that is running now on the Generic windows VGA drivers :unsure: /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' /> :wacko: :blink:
[quote name='dakaki' post='509550' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:00 PM']Try this fix. It worked for me:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90380

Hopefully this helps.

let me tell you the best way to get rid of anything that starts with N and ends with Vidia, just remove it from your freakin machine!!! :ph34r: I'm really serious, My mobo is ASUS with Nvidia chipset, and I had Vista Ultimate, NVIDIA drivers caused Vista to hang , complte freeze because of SATA Drive Controller !!!! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> i spend weeks to fix and I had no hope...

So I installed WIN XP 64Bit edition, machine is now clean, I went ahead to install NVDIA display drivers for my GTX+ 9800 Graphic Card, and guess what, i get the black screen after windows loads !! so NVIDIA failed twice on me now!!

so plan: just go to the other side of the world, stay away from nvidia....

If they care about thier reputation and future business, where is thier testing team?? if they well test stuff before it gets out, we will have no issues, and if they have a system in place to make it easy to trouble shoot by email or by phone, I would have stayed with them, but guess what, they do not have that!!!

I'm really pissed to have a $1200 machine with 22 LCD that is running now on the Generic windows VGA drivers :unsure: /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' /> :wacko: :blink:

Posted 02/25/2009 04:54 AM   
Scroll To Top