1 / 2    
Hi all,

I just bought a new computer a couple of days ago, specs are:
CPU: Intel i7 920
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
RAM: 2G*3 DDR3 1600G CL9
Graphics: BFG GTX285 1025 OC2
and I have a power supply of 750W

I'm running on Windows XP x64, 181.22 graphic drivers and all of the latest for everything else (checked a couple of times).

When I start a game, it runs fine for unknown period of time (which could last from 5 minutes up to 30 minutes) but then a couple of different things happen.
The most common problem thus far is that the game crashes, doesn't give me access back to the desktop and I have to restart the computer. Sometimes there are sound loops with it, sometimes the background music continues the same. 2 times I was able to go back to the desktop but only 1 time could I close the game causing the problems.
A different kind of bug only occurred with Fallout 3 where suddenly the HUD itself got smeared and changed colors and textures, everything started to glow in weird blue (people too) and once I alt+tab and went back it got fixed. 2 minutes later the game crashed like the other problem.

I check this thus far on 3 games:Left 4 Dead (tried 10 times on single player, crashed each time) Fallout 3 (tried 7 times, crashed each time), Lord of the Rings: Conquest (tried 5 times, crashed each time) and F.E.A.R 2 (tried once, crashed, lost hope).
All of them crash and I have a feeling that every other game will to.

BTW, my CPU temps are always between 35-42 C.

If you have any idea, or need more information please tell me. I'm really starting to think that I just bought a 3000$ piece of junk.
Hi all,

I'm running on Windows XP x64, 181.22 graphic drivers and all of the latest for everything else (checked a couple of times).

When I start a game, it runs fine for unknown period of time (which could last from 5 minutes up to 30 minutes) but then a couple of different things happen.

The most common problem thus far is that the game crashes, doesn't give me access back to the desktop and I have to restart the computer. Sometimes there are sound loops with it, sometimes the background music continues the same. 2 times I was able to go back to the desktop but only 1 time could I close the game causing the problems.

A different kind of bug only occurred with Fallout 3 where suddenly the HUD itself got smeared and changed colors and textures, everything started to glow in weird blue (people too) and once I alt+tab and went back it got fixed. 2 minutes later the game crashed like the other problem.

I check this thus far on 3 games:Left 4 Dead (tried 10 times on single player, crashed each time) Fallout 3 (tried 7 times, crashed each time), Lord of the Rings: Conquest (tried 5 times, crashed each time) and F.E.A.R 2 (tried once, crashed, lost hope).

If you have any idea, or need more information please tell me. I'm really starting to think that I just bought a 3000$ piece of junk.

Posted 02/19/2009 10:20 AM   
I'm adding 3 snapshots from the game.
In all of these pictures the game didn't crash. Alt+tab fixed the problem. Maybe it has the same cause as the crashing problem, maybe not.

Blue Glowing
[url="http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0ix6.jpg"][img]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1525/screenshot0ix6.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Different Glitch (I think what you see is the texture outlay for the armor I'm currently wearing in-game.
[url="http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1zr4.jpg"][img]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7822/screenshot1zr4.th.jpg[/img][/url]
How the menu screen looks like (in-game while playing)
[url="http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2rm7.jpg"][img]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6742/screenshot2rm7.th.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm adding 3 snapshots from the game.

In all of these pictures the game didn't crash. Alt+tab fixed the problem. Maybe it has the same cause as the crashing problem, maybe not.

Blue Glowing

Different Glitch (I think what you see is the texture outlay for the armor I'm currently wearing in-game.

How the menu screen looks like (in-game while playing)

Posted 02/19/2009 12:28 PM   
Might have to RMA the card.I am having no problems with my 285 gtx.Or try different drivers and see how you go
Might have to RMA the card.I am having no problems with my 285 gtx.Or try different drivers and see how you go

Posted 02/20/2009 09:59 AM   
What are your GPU temperatures at both load and idle?
What are your GPU temperatures at both load and idle?

Posted 02/20/2009 10:39 AM   
[quote name='Qie' post='508268' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:39 PM']What are your GPU temperatures at both load and idle?[/quote]

It's probably the GPU.
Tried opening Everest 2.2 (free version) and it crushed. Changed to XP x32, everest crushed again. downloaded version 5.0 (trial) and it went all good.
My temps are:
Idle - 40-45
Load - 55-65
Last time (on xp x32) it took it a lot longer to reach the failure point, about 30 minutes of play, and I could exit the program (Fallout 3) before it happened. Some stuff started to glow blue again, almost got stuck, managed to alt+tab and the GPU temp was 65 so I'm guessing that this is the breaking point.

Now I do believe that the entire case is pretty cold since I've got 2 HUGE A** fans blowing cold air inside (build on the case) both running at maximum speed. (plus I can say that the air flowing outside is pretty damn cold). So, does it mean that the Graphics Card over heats for no good reason?

Do i need to replace it?

[quote name='Qie' post='508268' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:39 PM']What are your GPU temperatures at both load and idle?

It's probably the GPU.

Tried opening Everest 2.2 (free version) and it crushed. Changed to XP x32, everest crushed again. downloaded version 5.0 (trial) and it went all good.

My temps are:

Idle - 40-45

Load - 55-65

Last time (on xp x32) it took it a lot longer to reach the failure point, about 30 minutes of play, and I could exit the program (Fallout 3) before it happened. Some stuff started to glow blue again, almost got stuck, managed to alt+tab and the GPU temp was 65 so I'm guessing that this is the breaking point.

Now I do believe that the entire case is pretty cold since I've got 2 HUGE A** fans blowing cold air inside (build on the case) both running at maximum speed. (plus I can say that the air flowing outside is pretty damn cold). So, does it mean that the Graphics Card over heats for no good reason?

Do i need to replace it?

Posted 02/20/2009 02:21 PM   
Tom,

You and I have very similar systems and very similar problems. Have you gotten any resolution to your situation?
Tom,

You and I have very similar systems and very similar problems. Have you gotten any resolution to your situation?

Posted 02/27/2009 01:14 AM   
Tom,

Tom,

Posted 02/27/2009 01:14 AM   
I am having the SAME problems (looks exactly like the screenshots) on my brand new GTX 285. I am sending the card out for RMA as we speak. The game will play fine for a few minutes, then the colors/text/everything will get all screwy, Alt+Tab fixes it for a few minutes, and then it does it again. Eventually the card locks up and Windows BSODs. Back to my 8800 GTS for now..
I am having the SAME problems (looks exactly like the screenshots) on my brand new GTX 285. I am sending the card out for RMA as we speak. The game will play fine for a few minutes, then the colors/text/everything will get all screwy, Alt+Tab fixes it for a few minutes, and then it does it again. Eventually the card locks up and Windows BSODs. Back to my 8800 GTS for now..

Posted 03/03/2009 11:02 PM   
Hi, I have the same problems on my GTX 285! I play for a random time without problems, then the image become corrupt. I must make alt+tab for resolve, but few minutes later the problem returns. I have tryed to change all the game's options, without betterments :(
Hi, I have the same problems on my GTX 285! I play for a random time without problems, then the image become corrupt. I must make alt+tab for resolve, but few minutes later the problem returns. I have tryed to change all the game's options, without betterments :(

Posted 03/15/2009 02:30 PM   
install win vista ultimate x64, i have the same problem in xp with 7600 gt and now with 9800 gtx plus , i change system to vista the problems disapear in the shade ja! play all games
install win vista ultimate x64, i have the same problem in xp with 7600 gt and now with 9800 gtx plus , i change system to vista the problems disapear in the shade ja! play all games

Posted 03/25/2009 05:55 AM   
I am also having a similar experience with my EVGA GTX 285 2GB. It seems to be a problem reguardless of the OS I am running. I've tested this card on XP 32 and 64 bit, Vista 32 bit AND Win 7 64 bit. The game I have the most amount of problems with is Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat. I will be playing just fine for x amount of random time. Suddenly the screen will lock, usually with a sound loop of whatever sound was playing at that moment. I am running the most up to date drivers, the 185.85. When I ran XP I was just screwed. Sometimes I could turn off my monitor and unlock my system (strange, I am running a Samsung SyncMaster T260) and I was able to shut down CoD via this method under XP. With Vista and Win 7 I notice I can Alt+Tab out of the game and fix it, for a time.

I haven't tried to install an older driver yet to do a comparison. However after reading the forums around the web I think I may give it a shot under the XP 32 bit OS. Overall game play I've noticed hasn't been as good as I would expect for a card with the specs it has. Frame rate in Left 4 Dead, CoD(when it's not frozen), Half-Life2 and any intense graphic game in general just doesn't seem right. At first I thought it was an overheating problem, but after running EVGA Precision monitor the 285 runs at 34°C idle and 48-51°C loaded.

Personally I think it's just a bad driver package. :blink: I hope nVidia can solve the issues.

My full specs are:

Foxconn Bloodrage LGA x58 1366, Intel i7 920@2.66Ghz(overclocked to 3.78Ghz w/CoolerMaster v10), 6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600, EVGA GeForce GTX 285 2GB, Samsung SyncMaster T260 25.5", 1100W Tagan PSU.

UPDATE:

I tried to use several previous version of the nVidia driver on Windows XP (185.66, 185.68, 185.81) and none of them seemed to fix the problems I am experiencing.
I am also having a similar experience with my EVGA GTX 285 2GB. It seems to be a problem reguardless of the OS I am running. I've tested this card on XP 32 and 64 bit, Vista 32 bit AND Win 7 64 bit. The game I have the most amount of problems with is Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat. I will be playing just fine for x amount of random time. Suddenly the screen will lock, usually with a sound loop of whatever sound was playing at that moment. I am running the most up to date drivers, the 185.85. When I ran XP I was just screwed. Sometimes I could turn off my monitor and unlock my system (strange, I am running a Samsung SyncMaster T260) and I was able to shut down CoD via this method under XP. With Vista and Win 7 I notice I can Alt+Tab out of the game and fix it, for a time.

I haven't tried to install an older driver yet to do a comparison. However after reading the forums around the web I think I may give it a shot under the XP 32 bit OS. Overall game play I've noticed hasn't been as good as I would expect for a card with the specs it has. Frame rate in Left 4 Dead, CoD(when it's not frozen), Half-Life2 and any intense graphic game in general just doesn't seem right. At first I thought it was an overheating problem, but after running EVGA Precision monitor the 285 runs at 34°C idle and 48-51°C loaded.

Personally I think it's just a bad driver package. :blink: I hope nVidia can solve the issues.

My full specs are:

Foxconn Bloodrage LGA x58 1366, Intel i7 920@2.66Ghz(overclocked to 3.78Ghz w/CoolerMaster v10), 6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600, EVGA GeForce GTX 285 2GB, Samsung SyncMaster T260 25.5", 1100W Tagan PSU.

UPDATE:

I tried to use several previous version of the nVidia driver on Windows XP (185.66, 185.68, 185.81) and none of them seemed to fix the problems I am experiencing.

Posted 06/02/2009 06:50 AM   
I am having the same problem as well. The artifacts I that appear on my monitor are identical to the ones shown in your Fallout 3 screenshots. I am using a GTX 285. I tried swapping out the card with a new one but it made no difference. I updated all drivers, including motherboard chipset and BIOS. My power supply is more than capable of supporting the card (Corsair 620. One hard drive installed. No other cards installed on motherboard other than video card). The GPU never reaches temps above 50C. I still get the artifacts randomly when playing Fallout 3.

Sometimes the framerate will get choppy before the artifacts appear, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the game will hang briefly before the artifacts appear, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the artifacts will appear after as little as 5 min of play, other times I can play for up to 90 minutes or more before they pop up. Sometimes the game will freeze after the artifacts pop up, but other times it won't. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
I am having the same problem as well. The artifacts I that appear on my monitor are identical to the ones shown in your Fallout 3 screenshots. I am using a GTX 285. I tried swapping out the card with a new one but it made no difference. I updated all drivers, including motherboard chipset and BIOS. My power supply is more than capable of supporting the card (Corsair 620. One hard drive installed. No other cards installed on motherboard other than video card). The GPU never reaches temps above 50C. I still get the artifacts randomly when playing Fallout 3.

Sometimes the framerate will get choppy before the artifacts appear, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the game will hang briefly before the artifacts appear, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the artifacts will appear after as little as 5 min of play, other times I can play for up to 90 minutes or more before they pop up. Sometimes the game will freeze after the artifacts pop up, but other times it won't. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 06/03/2009 03:16 AM   
[quote name='Tom262' post='507807' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:20 PM']Hi all,

If you have any idea, or need more information please tell me. I'm really starting to think that I just bought a 3000$ piece of junk.[/quote]

MUAHAHAHHAHAHA,I am so happy when I see people that want to buy a PC to boast with,and then they have problems hahaha
what kind of error do you get?Your PC is too fast to run this game? ROFL
[quote name='Tom262' post='507807' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:20 PM']Hi all,

MUAHAHAHHAHAHA,I am so happy when I see people that want to buy a PC to boast with,and then they have problems hahaha

Posted 06/03/2009 12:10 PM   
[quote name='Impheatus' post='548210' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:10 AM']MUAHAHAHHAHAHA,I am so happy when I see people that want to buy a PC to boast with,and then they have problems hahaha
what kind of error do you get?Your PC is too fast to run this game? ROFL[/quote]

You're not alone :(, Nvidia can't get crap done correctly. I should have gotten ATI instead, never had ANY problems with ATi 4870, period. AMD knows what the freak they're doing.
[quote name='Impheatus' post='548210' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:10 AM']MUAHAHAHHAHAHA,I am so happy when I see people that want to buy a PC to boast with,and then they have problems hahaha

You're not alone :(, Nvidia can't get crap done correctly. I should have gotten ATI instead, never had ANY problems with ATi 4870, period. AMD knows what the freak they're doing.

Posted 06/19/2009 12:33 AM   
Is that it? No resolution to any of this?

- s.west
Is that it? No resolution to any of this?

- s.west

Posted 06/28/2009 01:28 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top