GeForce 8600 GS & Samsung Syncmaster 2494HM Can't get the resolution right!
Hi,

First post here so hopefully someone can help!

Operating System: Vista
Graphics Card: GeForce 8600 GS
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2494HM
Driver Version: 7.15.11.8122
Driver Date: 14/01/2009
Connection from PC to Monitor: HDMI

Problem:
The documentation with the monitor says it will work best at 1920 * 1080 but the best I can get with the NVIDIA Control Panel is 1680 * 1050.

Anything over that (e.g. "1920 * 1080" or "1768 * 992") will only display a much smaller central section of the screen & so al around it is just black. I'd have thought I should be able to stretch it like with old monitors but that option isn't available when using a HDMI cable.
I'd like to get it to display at 1920 * 1050 so any who help with that would be great!
Hi,

Problem:

The documentation with the monitor says it will work best at 1920 * 1080 but the best I can get with the NVIDIA Control Panel is 1680 * 1050.

Anything over that (e.g. "1920 * 1080" or "1768 * 992") will only display a much smaller central section of the screen & so al around it is just black. I'd have thought I should be able to stretch it like with old monitors but that option isn't available when using a HDMI cable.

I'd like to get it to display at 1920 * 1050 so any who help with that would be great!

Posted 02/17/2009 09:39 PM   
The native resolution for that monitor is 1920x1200, give that a shot in the NVIDIA Control Panel. You may need to configure a custom resolution.

Amorphous

[quote name='frash' post='507113' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:39 PM']Hi,

Problem:

I'd like to get it to display at 1920 * 1050 so any who help with that would be great![/quote]
The native resolution for that monitor is 1920x1200, give that a shot in the NVIDIA Control Panel. You may need to configure a custom resolution.

Amorphous

[quote name='frash' post='507113' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:39 PM']Hi,

Problem:

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 02/17/2009 10:23 PM   
[quote name='Amorphous' post='507152' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:23 PM']The native resolution for that monitor is 1920x1200, give that a shot in the NVIDIA Control Panel. You may need to configure a custom resolution.

Amorphous[/quote]

Thanks for the reply but it appears in a similar way to my original problem - centered & too small with the rest of the screen just black.

Any & all other suggestions very welcome!
[quote name='Amorphous' post='507152' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:23 PM']The native resolution for that monitor is 1920x1200, give that a shot in the NVIDIA Control Panel. You may need to configure a custom resolution.

Amorphous

Thanks for the reply but it appears in a similar way to my original problem - centered & too small with the rest of the screen just black.

Posted 02/17/2009 11:04 PM   
You many need to adjust some settings on your monitor's built in menu.

Amorphous

[quote name='frash' post='507178' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:04 PM']Thanks for the reply but it appears in a similar way to my original problem - centered & too small with the rest of the screen just black.

Any & all other suggestions very welcome![/quote]
You many need to adjust some settings on your monitor's built in menu.

Amorphous

[quote name='frash' post='507178' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:04 PM']Thanks for the reply but it appears in a similar way to my original problem - centered & too small with the rest of the screen just black.

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 02/17/2009 11:15 PM   
[quote name='Amorphous' post='507180' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:15 PM']You many need to adjust some settings on your monitor's built in menu.

Amorphous[/quote]

Thanks again for the reply.
I loked into using the monitors menu but when many of the functions wouldn't work (e.g. vertical / horizontal positioning) I discovered that these options were only available when using a VGA cable.

I purposely bought a HDMI cable as I thought that would give me the best display seeing as both the PC & the monitor support it
[quote name='Amorphous' post='507180' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:15 PM']You many need to adjust some settings on your monitor's built in menu.

Amorphous

I loked into using the monitors menu but when many of the functions wouldn't work (e.g. vertical / horizontal positioning) I discovered that these options were only available when using a VGA cable.

I purposely bought a HDMI cable as I thought that would give me the best display seeing as both the PC & the monitor support it

Posted 02/18/2009 08:10 AM   
Does your monitor support DVI?

Obviously HDMI isn't giving you a very good picture. Generally, HDMI is for an HDTV.

Amorphous

[quote name='frash' post='507307' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:10 AM']Thanks again for the reply.

I purposely bought a HDMI cable as I thought that would give me the best display seeing as both the PC & the monitor support it[/quote]
Does your monitor support DVI?

Obviously HDMI isn't giving you a very good picture. Generally, HDMI is for an HDTV.

Amorphous

[quote name='frash' post='507307' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:10 AM']Thanks again for the reply.

Posted 02/18/2009 08:23 AM   
[quote name='Amorphous' post='507310' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:23 AM']Does your monitor support DVI?

Amorphous[/quote]

I'm in work now but will check out the possible connections tonight although I'm pretty sure the monitor takes DVI I'm not sure if the PC does - although that'd be on the graphics card I'm sure.

Anyway I'll have a look tonight.
Thanks agani for the help.
[quote name='Amorphous' post='507310' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:23 AM']Does your monitor support DVI?

Amorphous

I'm in work now but will check out the possible connections tonight although I'm pretty sure the monitor takes DVI I'm not sure if the PC does - although that'd be on the graphics card I'm sure.

Anyway I'll have a look tonight.

Thanks agani for the help.

Posted 02/18/2009 10:21 AM   
Just to let you know that I tried a DVI cable & the resolution is fine now.

Went & wasted €19 on the HDMI cable but sure I might use it again for something.

Thanks again for he help.
Just to let you know that I tried a DVI cable & the resolution is fine now.

Went & wasted €19 on the HDMI cable but sure I might use it again for something.

Thanks again for he help.

Posted 02/18/2009 08:23 PM   
Thought I had it all sorted with the DVI cable but just kopped that the monitors built-in speakers don't work with the DVI cable - they did with the HDMI cable.

Any suggestions?
Thought I had it all sorted with the DVI cable but just kopped that the monitors built-in speakers don't work with the DVI cable - they did with the HDMI cable.

Any suggestions?

Posted 02/19/2009 05:35 PM   
Scroll To Top