Mass Effect - General Protection Fault
Dear Nvidia employees being responsible for the Geforce Drivers.

Nearly 9 MONTHS (!) and several driver releases of your side have passed and neither was this specific Physx-driver issue: [url="http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631450&forum=127&sp=510"]http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...=127&sp=510[/url] solved nor at least mentioned in your driver release notes. I have a Geforce 8800 GTX and every time I want to play this game I am forced to downgrade my driver to the last Pre-PhysX driver of yours. This means i have to uninstall, reinstall and reboot for at least 3 times! With newer versions of your drivers the game suddenly crashes with this General Protection Fault error and I often have to reset the whole PC! I paid over 400 Euro for my 8800 GTX and I am disappointed of your lacking support as I am not the first one who is posting about this error. I planned to upgrade to your new GTX 285 but as this error persists even after 9 months and the whole GTX 200 series doesn't even work with the old drivers I consider for the first time in 10 years to buy a card from the dark side /canadianwave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':canadianwave:' /> . So please fix this problem. The reason for this bug has something to do with the changes you made from the 175.19 drivers to all its successors. I assume its the integrated PhysX functionality, but neither deactivating the acceleration in the driver nor uninstalling the PhysX driver solved this problem. I suggest you make at least an option in the driver where I can deactivate the PhysX functionality completely or at least for Mass Effect.
I appologize if this ist the wrong section for driver support but I did not find any other support site of yours.

Regards

Tutanchamun
Dear Nvidia employees being responsible for the Geforce Drivers.

Nearly 9 MONTHS (!) and several driver releases of your side have passed and neither was this specific Physx-driver issue: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...=127&sp=510 solved nor at least mentioned in your driver release notes. I have a Geforce 8800 GTX and every time I want to play this game I am forced to downgrade my driver to the last Pre-PhysX driver of yours. This means i have to uninstall, reinstall and reboot for at least 3 times! With newer versions of your drivers the game suddenly crashes with this General Protection Fault error and I often have to reset the whole PC! I paid over 400 Euro for my 8800 GTX and I am disappointed of your lacking support as I am not the first one who is posting about this error. I planned to upgrade to your new GTX 285 but as this error persists even after 9 months and the whole GTX 200 series doesn't even work with the old drivers I consider for the first time in 10 years to buy a card from the dark side /canadianwave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':canadianwave:' /> . So please fix this problem. The reason for this bug has something to do with the changes you made from the 175.19 drivers to all its successors. I assume its the integrated PhysX functionality, but neither deactivating the acceleration in the driver nor uninstalling the PhysX driver solved this problem. I suggest you make at least an option in the driver where I can deactivate the PhysX functionality completely or at least for Mass Effect.

I appologize if this ist the wrong section for driver support but I did not find any other support site of yours.

Regards

Tutanchamun

Posted 01/19/2009 09:35 AM   
You're not alone in this.

The Mass Effect forum community was able to find a workaround which is to roll back to drivers 177.26 ( released by Asus ) for my 8800 GTS.

You need a modified .inf to have your card supported for the install.

Why I should need to roll back drivers to play a game is beyond me. EA has been completely unresponsive to this issue and has not released a patch for this.

So who's to blame here? Seems now that everyone has their money they can kick back and relax.

This was the last Nvidia card I'll ever purchase. What a piece of crap. I had heard stories but never expected the driver support to be this bad.

I should have stuck with ATI. Thanks for nothing Nvidia.

[quote name='Tutanchamun' post='493478' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:35 AM']Dear Nvidia employees being responsible for the Geforce Drivers.

Nearly 9 MONTHS (!) and several driver releases of your side have passed and neither was this specific Physx-driver issue: [url="http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631450&forum=127&sp=510"]http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...=127&sp=510[/url] solved nor at least mentioned in your driver release notes. I have a Geforce 8800 GTX and every time I want to play this game I am forced to downgrade my driver to the last Pre-PhysX driver of yours. This means i have to uninstall, reinstall and reboot for at least 3 times! With newer versions of your drivers the game suddenly crashes with this General Protection Fault error and I often have to reset the whole PC! I paid over 400 Euro for my 8800 GTX and I am disappointed of your lacking support as I am not the first one who is posting about this error. I planned to upgrade to your new GTX 285 but as this error persists even after 9 months and the whole GTX 200 series doesn't even work with the old drivers I consider for the first time in 10 years to buy a card from the dark side /canadianwave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':canadianwave:' /> . So please fix this problem. The reason for this bug has something to do with the changes you made from the 175.19 drivers to all its successors. I assume its the integrated PhysX functionality, but neither deactivating the acceleration in the driver nor uninstalling the PhysX driver solved this problem. I suggest you make at least an option in the driver where I can deactivate the PhysX functionality completely or at least for Mass Effect.

Regards

Tutanchamun[/quote]
You're not alone in this.

The Mass Effect forum community was able to find a workaround which is to roll back to drivers 177.26 ( released by Asus ) for my 8800 GTS.

Why I should need to roll back drivers to play a game is beyond me. EA has been completely unresponsive to this issue and has not released a patch for this.

So who's to blame here? Seems now that everyone has their money they can kick back and relax.

This was the last Nvidia card I'll ever purchase. What a piece of crap. I had heard stories but never expected the driver support to be this bad.

[quote name='Tutanchamun' post='493478' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:35 AM']Dear Nvidia employees being responsible for the Geforce Drivers.

Nearly 9 MONTHS (!) and several driver releases of your side have passed and neither was this specific Physx-driver issue: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...=127&sp=510 solved nor at least mentioned in your driver release notes. I have a Geforce 8800 GTX and every time I want to play this game I am forced to downgrade my driver to the last Pre-PhysX driver of yours. This means i have to uninstall, reinstall and reboot for at least 3 times! With newer versions of your drivers the game suddenly crashes with this General Protection Fault error and I often have to reset the whole PC! I paid over 400 Euro for my 8800 GTX and I am disappointed of your lacking support as I am not the first one who is posting about this error. I planned to upgrade to your new GTX 285 but as this error persists even after 9 months and the whole GTX 200 series doesn't even work with the old drivers I consider for the first time in 10 years to buy a card from the dark side /canadianwave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':canadianwave:' /> . So please fix this problem. The reason for this bug has something to do with the changes you made from the 175.19 drivers to all its successors. I assume its the integrated PhysX functionality, but neither deactivating the acceleration in the driver nor uninstalling the PhysX driver solved this problem. I suggest you make at least an option in the driver where I can deactivate the PhysX functionality completely or at least for Mass Effect.

Regards

Tutanchamun

Posted 01/25/2009 03:15 AM   
[quote name='Ratboyplus' post='496224' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:15 AM']You're not alone in this.

I should have stuck with ATI. Thanks for nothing Nvidia.[/quote]
oh... right there with you i've always used ati and never had a problem. but on someones advice i got ndivia and i've had nothing but problems
for my 2 cents right now nvidia sucks and i not puchase one again (so long as they continue to be unresponsive to the $300.00 i lost on their card).
[quote name='Ratboyplus' post='496224' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:15 AM']You're not alone in this.

oh... right there with you i've always used ati and never had a problem. but on someones advice i got ndivia and i've had nothing but problems

for my 2 cents right now nvidia sucks and i not puchase one again (so long as they continue to be unresponsive to the $300.00 i lost on their card).

Posted 01/29/2009 05:52 AM   
Attention ppl of this thread: BioWare has announced a new patch coming out that fixes all sorts of things in Mass Effect.

Anyone know what it fixes? Anyone read the pre-release notes? Does it fix your issues? Or did you just want to b!tch about nVidia for a while?
Attention ppl of this thread: BioWare has announced a new patch coming out that fixes all sorts of things in Mass Effect.

Anyone know what it fixes? Anyone read the pre-release notes? Does it fix your issues? Or did you just want to b!tch about nVidia for a while?

Posted 02/03/2009 12:30 PM   
Scroll To Top