GeForce 9800 GT Fan gets loud Why is it getting loud with high settings?
So I have been learning more and more about computers and I've managed to make a few upgrades to my computer. I got a GeForce 9800 GT and replaced my older PSU with a better one that could handle the video card.

My problem is that when I play World of Warcraft, and have all my settings set to HIGH or GOOD, the video card fan comes on every 1-2 minutes. When I have the settings set to LOW, the video card fan never comes on. Is it a bad thing that I can hear the fan turn on every 1-2 minutes when my settings are maxed out? When I'm playing World of Warcraft with maxed settings, it runs very smooth I just don't want to over work my video card and have it overheat and break.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there something else I need to do to my computer to allow me to play with maxed settings?
So I have been learning more and more about computers and I've managed to make a few upgrades to my computer. I got a GeForce 9800 GT and replaced my older PSU with a better one that could handle the video card.

My problem is that when I play World of Warcraft, and have all my settings set to HIGH or GOOD, the video card fan comes on every 1-2 minutes. When I have the settings set to LOW, the video card fan never comes on. Is it a bad thing that I can hear the fan turn on every 1-2 minutes when my settings are maxed out? When I'm playing World of Warcraft with maxed settings, it runs very smooth I just don't want to over work my video card and have it overheat and break.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there something else I need to do to my computer to allow me to play with maxed settings?

Posted 01/16/2009 01:47 PM   
check the temperatures of the card while you are playing with a monitoring program like everest home edition or rivatuner. gpu-z also shows temps.

the fan is spinning up to cool the chip off, as it is working harder when the settings are higher.
check the temperatures of the card while you are playing with a monitoring program like everest home edition or rivatuner. gpu-z also shows temps.

the fan is spinning up to cool the chip off, as it is working harder when the settings are higher.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 01/16/2009 01:49 PM   
[quote name='qazax' post='492093' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:49 AM']check the temperatures of the card while you are playing with a monitoring program like everest home edition or rivatuner. gpu-z also shows temps.

the fan is spinning up to cool the chip off, as it is working harder when the settings are higher.[/quote]

If I use a program like that, is there a general temperature that a video card should not exceed or does it vary from card to card?
[quote name='qazax' post='492093' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:49 AM']check the temperatures of the card while you are playing with a monitoring program like everest home edition or rivatuner. gpu-z also shows temps.

If I use a program like that, is there a general temperature that a video card should not exceed or does it vary from card to card?

Posted 01/16/2009 01:51 PM   
it varies, but you should aimfor a fullload of under 80.

download atitool and runthe scanfor artifacts, that will stress your card 100% and allow you to see the full load temps. run it for about 5 mins and then see how hot it is.
it varies, but you should aimfor a fullload of under 80.

download atitool and runthe scanfor artifacts, that will stress your card 100% and allow you to see the full load temps. run it for about 5 mins and then see how hot it is.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 01/16/2009 02:09 PM   
Thank you so much for your help! I hope its just me being over paranoid and that it will run just fine with maxed settings.
Thank you so much for your help! I hope its just me being over paranoid and that it will run just fine with maxed settings.

Posted 01/16/2009 02:36 PM   
Your fan is on what is called "duty cycle", which means it kicks-in when it needs to. This is normal. If it annoys you, you can download a program called RivaTuner, where you can set the fan to a static speed.
Your fan is on what is called "duty cycle", which means it kicks-in when it needs to. This is normal. If it annoys you, you can download a program called RivaTuner, where you can set the fan to a static speed.

Posted 01/16/2009 02:49 PM   
Oh this definitely does not bother me, I was just more concerned about my video card breaking because it was overheating. If this is normal for a video card's fan to come on every 1-2 minutes when playing with max settings then I'm not worried. Thanks for the advice :)
Oh this definitely does not bother me, I was just more concerned about my video card breaking because it was overheating. If this is normal for a video card's fan to come on every 1-2 minutes when playing with max settings then I'm not worried. Thanks for the advice :)

Posted 01/16/2009 07:25 PM   
Scroll To Top