Dual screen and 180.20 drivers
I hope someone can help me with my problem. I have a P5b Mobo 4 GB 800 DDR2 Ram and a QX 6800 running at 3.2 ghz. There are two operating systems on separate hard drives XP on One Vista on the other. I can boot with either one. I have a dual monitor setup, the primary is a 24 ' Samsung and the secondary monitor is an Acer 22'. I recently upgraded to a GTX 295 due to the addition of the 24'screen. It was there the problem started. Downloaded new drivers removed the old ones and then installed the 180.20 drivers. I will start with XP. The Nvidia control panel will not display the 'set multiple monitor' option on the left hand side of the page unless I change the setting in 'Set multi-GPU and PhysX configuration' to -do not use multi-GPU mode. When I check this the set multiple monitor option becomes visible on the options on the left hand side of the page and allows me to configure the two screens. Thats all good but when I reboot the computer crashes every time. Go back to the settings page check 'enable multi-GPU mode', the set multiple monitor option disappears but the computer will boot normally. So in a nut shell I can only run a single monitor with XP when I have been using two for a while with a GTX 8800. What I also find strange is the computer whether booting with XP or Vista, will display the welcome boot screen and Logo on the seconday monitor but open the operating system on the primary monitor. All the Nvidia settings have the primary monitor set as the Samsung monitor.
I have been tearing my hair out regarding this issue for the last 2 days. Can't use any other drivers because these are the only ones.
Really need some advice.
Thanks in advance

Andrew Dixon
I hope someone can help me with my problem. I have a P5b Mobo 4 GB 800 DDR2 Ram and a QX 6800 running at 3.2 ghz. There are two operating systems on separate hard drives XP on One Vista on the other. I can boot with either one. I have a dual monitor setup, the primary is a 24 ' Samsung and the secondary monitor is an Acer 22'. I recently upgraded to a GTX 295 due to the addition of the 24'screen. It was there the problem started. Downloaded new drivers removed the old ones and then installed the 180.20 drivers. I will start with XP. The Nvidia control panel will not display the 'set multiple monitor' option on the left hand side of the page unless I change the setting in 'Set multi-GPU and PhysX configuration' to -do not use multi-GPU mode. When I check this the set multiple monitor option becomes visible on the options on the left hand side of the page and allows me to configure the two screens. Thats all good but when I reboot the computer crashes every time. Go back to the settings page check 'enable multi-GPU mode', the set multiple monitor option disappears but the computer will boot normally. So in a nut shell I can only run a single monitor with XP when I have been using two for a while with a GTX 8800. What I also find strange is the computer whether booting with XP or Vista, will display the welcome boot screen and Logo on the seconday monitor but open the operating system on the primary monitor. All the Nvidia settings have the primary monitor set as the Samsung monitor.

I have been tearing my hair out regarding this issue for the last 2 days. Can't use any other drivers because these are the only ones.

Really need some advice.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Dixon

Posted 01/16/2009 12:34 PM   
you using the hdmi out with your GTX295 for you second monitor, heard the second DVI ain't available in multi-gpu mode?

maybe that could solve it. As for the driver, i suppose you use 181.20 because 180.20, is not there or a very old beta(last beta before 181.20 release was 180.48 or something)
you using the hdmi out with your GTX295 for you second monitor, heard the second DVI ain't available in multi-gpu mode?

maybe that could solve it. As for the driver, i suppose you use 181.20 because 180.20, is not there or a very old beta(last beta before 181.20 release was 180.48 or something)

Posted 01/16/2009 12:40 PM   
[quote name='Mylon13' post='492065' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:40 PM']you using the hdmi out with your GTX295 for you second monitor, heard the second DVI ain't available in multi-gpu mode?

maybe that could solve it. As for the driver, i suppose you use 181.20 because 180.20, is not there or a very old beta(last beta before 181.20 release was 180.48 or something)[/quote]
"Supports two monitors simultaneously, enabled by the NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ Multi-Display Technology for office applications, 3D gaming and professional applications such as CAD, DTP, animation or video editing. NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ allows end-users to select any combination of multiple displays, including a DVI, CRT, and TV."
Thanks for your reply Mylon, the second montor is available and works in Vista in multi-GPU mode just not in XP. As stated above when I am in XP I can change the nvidia settings and configure the dual monitors but the system in this configuration will not boot. If I change the settings back to enable multi monitor mode the second monitor cannot be configured but XP will boot.The above quote is direct from Gainward regarding the card. The white connections from the monitors plug into the two connections on the back of the card. Is that OK? I take it the DVI connections are the white ones? Still does not explain why they boot on one screen then swap to the other when the operating system has fully booted?
Do you think this is a driver issue?

Andrew Dixon
[quote name='Mylon13' post='492065' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:40 PM']you using the hdmi out with your GTX295 for you second monitor, heard the second DVI ain't available in multi-gpu mode?

"Supports two monitors simultaneously, enabled by the NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ Multi-Display Technology for office applications, 3D gaming and professional applications such as CAD, DTP, animation or video editing. NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ allows end-users to select any combination of multiple displays, including a DVI, CRT, and TV."

Thanks for your reply Mylon, the second montor is available and works in Vista in multi-GPU mode just not in XP. As stated above when I am in XP I can change the nvidia settings and configure the dual monitors but the system in this configuration will not boot. If I change the settings back to enable multi monitor mode the second monitor cannot be configured but XP will boot.The above quote is direct from Gainward regarding the card. The white connections from the monitors plug into the two connections on the back of the card. Is that OK? I take it the DVI connections are the white ones? Still does not explain why they boot on one screen then swap to the other when the operating system has fully booted?

Andrew Dixon

Posted 01/16/2009 01:11 PM   
[quote name='Dicko 67' post='492079' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:11 AM']"Supports two monitors simultaneously, enabled by the NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ Multi-Display Technology for office applications, 3D gaming and professional applications such as CAD, DTP, animation or video editing. NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ allows end-users to select any combination of multiple displays, including a DVI, CRT, and TV."

Andrew Dixon[/quote]
bump
[quote name='Dicko 67' post='492079' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:11 AM']"Supports two monitors simultaneously, enabled by the NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ Multi-Display Technology for office applications, 3D gaming and professional applications such as CAD, DTP, animation or video editing. NVIDIA nViewâ„¢ allows end-users to select any combination of multiple displays, including a DVI, CRT, and TV."

Andrew Dixon

bump

Posted 01/16/2009 09:14 PM   
I'm experiencing the exact same problem.
I bought a GTX 295 to be able to play FPS games again since I got a 24" recently, but I can't run the Dual View display mode without disabling SLI support. Obviously it's a serious performance downgrade, especially for a meant-to-be-biGPU-card... Both of my screens (24" at 1920x1200 & 17" at 1280x1024) are connected through a DVI/DVI connector (no VGA adapter).
I'm quite upset since I ordered a 80€ [b]more expensive[/b] card than the ATI one because I didn't want to face any driver issue. Now I have to make a choice between the performance I paid for, and being able to use both of my screens. Quite an interesting choice isn't it ?

So I'd like to know [b]WHEN[/b] nVidia will fix this issue.
I'm experiencing the exact same problem.

I bought a GTX 295 to be able to play FPS games again since I got a 24" recently, but I can't run the Dual View display mode without disabling SLI support. Obviously it's a serious performance downgrade, especially for a meant-to-be-biGPU-card... Both of my screens (24" at 1920x1200 & 17" at 1280x1024) are connected through a DVI/DVI connector (no VGA adapter).

I'm quite upset since I ordered a 80€ more expensive card than the ATI one because I didn't want to face any driver issue. Now I have to make a choice between the performance I paid for, and being able to use both of my screens. Quite an interesting choice isn't it ?

So I'd like to know WHEN nVidia will fix this issue.

Posted 01/17/2009 03:13 PM   
GTX295 is a SLI video card. SLI multi-monitor is only supported with Vista and doesn't work with XP.

Dicko 67: Disconnect one of the monitors, and then in the control panel choose "do not use multi-GPU". Reboot the computer before connecting and configuring the second monitor and it should work. You can have multiple monitors with your video card in XP, just not in SLI mode.
GTX295 is a SLI video card. SLI multi-monitor is only supported with Vista and doesn't work with XP.

Dicko 67: Disconnect one of the monitors, and then in the control panel choose "do not use multi-GPU". Reboot the computer before connecting and configuring the second monitor and it should work. You can have multiple monitors with your video card in XP, just not in SLI mode.

Posted 01/17/2009 03:59 PM   
It doesn't work with XP because it's difficult/impossible to do, or just because this feature isn't available at the moment ?
I'd prefer stick with XP if there's any chances that this feature gets included in XP drivers :/
It doesn't work with XP because it's difficult/impossible to do, or just because this feature isn't available at the moment ?

I'd prefer stick with XP if there's any chances that this feature gets included in XP drivers :/

Posted 01/17/2009 05:04 PM   
Scroll To Top