NVIDIA control panel won't open!
NVIDIA control panel won't open after I downgraded to 94.24 drivers and then back to 1xx.xx drivers. The 1xx.xx drivers won't allow me to open the NVIDIA control panel [I'm currently using 181.20]. I found a thread with Google that supposedly fixes this problem but I have no idea what it is saying [ [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t36031.html"]http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t36031.html[/url] ]. Can anyone help? Thanks.

BTW: I've done clean uninstalls and reinstalls of the drivers, even using Driver Cleaner.NET 3.3.0.0.
NVIDIA control panel won't open after I downgraded to 94.24 drivers and then back to 1xx.xx drivers. The 1xx.xx drivers won't allow me to open the NVIDIA control panel [I'm currently using 181.20]. I found a thread with Google that supposedly fixes this problem but I have no idea what it is saying [ http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t36031.html ]. Can anyone help? Thanks.

BTW: I've done clean uninstalls and reinstalls of the drivers, even using Driver Cleaner.NET 3.3.0.0.

Posted 01/16/2009 03:21 AM   
ok i fixed the problem. turns out i have to extract the driver setup file into a temporary folder and then open nv4_disp.inf file it comes with [using notepad]. then i scroll down to the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section of that file and then paste the following lines at the end of the section...

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:4,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvdisps.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:5,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvgames.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:6,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmccss.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:7,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmobls.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:8,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvvitvs.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:9,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvwss.dll"

then save the nv4_disp.inf file. and next time i reinstall the driver, i do so using the setup.exe in that folder. hope this helps anyone else out.

BTW: i reinstalled the 169.44 driver in my case, but should work with other 1xx.xx drivers.
ok i fixed the problem. turns out i have to extract the driver setup file into a temporary folder and then open nv4_disp.inf file it comes with [using notepad]. then i scroll down to the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section of that file and then paste the following lines at the end of the section...

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:4,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvdisps.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:5,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvgames.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:6,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmccss.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:7,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmobls.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:8,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvvitvs.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:9,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvwss.dll"

then save the nv4_disp.inf file. and next time i reinstall the driver, i do so using the setup.exe in that folder. hope this helps anyone else out.

BTW: i reinstalled the 169.44 driver in my case, but should work with other 1xx.xx drivers.

Posted 01/16/2009 04:30 AM   
just wanted to say thanks, had this problem for like 2 years and just solved it : )
just wanted to say thanks, had this problem for like 2 years and just solved it : )

Posted 01/28/2009 10:20 PM   
Why didn't you just uninstall, use driver sweeper or NFR, and reinstall the drivers?

Seems you took the hard way instead of the simple solution.
Why didn't you just uninstall, use driver sweeper or NFR, and reinstall the drivers?

Seems you took the hard way instead of the simple solution.

Posted 01/28/2009 11:26 PM   
i did uninstall and used driver cleaner and all that, but this is the ONLY fix for this problem
i did uninstall and used driver cleaner and all that, but this is the ONLY fix for this problem

Posted 01/29/2009 03:25 AM   
[quote name='TsunamiZ' post='491923' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:30 PM']ok i fixed the problem. turns out i have to extract the driver setup file into a temporary folder and then open nv4_disp.inf file it comes with [using notepad]. then i scroll down to the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section of that file and then paste the following lines at the end of the section...

BTW: i reinstalled the 169.44 driver in my case, but should work with other 1xx.xx drivers.[/quote]

UPDATE: I found them, it extracts to a folder called C:\nvidia\181.22\english - I'm going to try it now, wish me luck!

UPDATE2: This did not work for me with the 181.22 drivers. I installed and it appeared to install correctly, but control panel still does not load up. I am AMAZED that nvidia is letting this lie. I can understand problems, but this is like no one is even at home at nvidia. Next time I am buying and have to choose graphics cards, this is shaking my confidence in nvida. What is going on there? This has been on this forum since MID 2007!!!

Tsunami, I am trying to install 181.22 - I don't understand what you mean by extracting the driver setup file. I have one file, a large (~73 Mb) that is an executable and when I run it, it installs the driver. How do I "extract the driver setup file?" Sorry for being dense. I think that I could follow the rest of your instructions, but I don't understand how to get started.

Thanks!
-Tom Steele
[quote name='TsunamiZ' post='491923' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:30 PM']ok i fixed the problem. turns out i have to extract the driver setup file into a temporary folder and then open nv4_disp.inf file it comes with [using notepad]. then i scroll down to the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section of that file and then paste the following lines at the end of the section...

UPDATE: I found them, it extracts to a folder called C:\nvidia\181.22\english - I'm going to try it now, wish me luck!

UPDATE2: This did not work for me with the 181.22 drivers. I installed and it appeared to install correctly, but control panel still does not load up. I am AMAZED that nvidia is letting this lie. I can understand problems, but this is like no one is even at home at nvidia. Next time I am buying and have to choose graphics cards, this is shaking my confidence in nvida. What is going on there? This has been on this forum since MID 2007!!!

Tsunami, I am trying to install 181.22 - I don't understand what you mean by extracting the driver setup file. I have one file, a large (~73 Mb) that is an executable and when I run it, it installs the driver. How do I "extract the driver setup file?" Sorry for being dense. I think that I could follow the rest of your instructions, but I don't understand how to get started.

Thanks!

-Tom Steele

Posted 02/07/2009 04:23 PM   
when i says itll sav to a folder when u install, thats when the files are extracted to a folder
when i says itll sav to a folder when u install, thats when the files are extracted to a folder

Posted 02/08/2009 06:45 PM   
[quote name='TsunamiZ' post='502857' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:45 PM']when i says itll sav to a folder when u install, thats when the files are extracted to a folder[/quote]

I will try a complete uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes it - and I'll use your trick... What a fun way to spend the afternoon!
[quote name='TsunamiZ' post='502857' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:45 PM']when i says itll sav to a folder when u install, thats when the files are extracted to a folder

I will try a complete uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes it - and I'll use your trick... What a fun way to spend the afternoon!

Posted 02/12/2009 06:51 PM   
Scroll To Top