Windows 7 and 7900GT-SLI
Hey folks!

[left]I think I made a mistake and previously posted in the wrong forum, oops!

So I'm beta testing Windows 7 Build 7000 (Official release, not leaked :ph34r: ) and I'm testing through 2 comps. My laptop is a Dell
Inspirion E1505 that runs Win7 great, ATI's video drivers from Dell for Vista actually work really well on the comp. On the other hand, my gaming
comp with dual-7900GT's is having nasty issues. They say a picture speaks 1000 words, so I'll let the pic speak for itself:

[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr53/Xcaliber009/S4010827.jpg[/img]

This happens only when the nVidia video drivers are loaded. I have tried the Pre-release WDDM 1.1 drivers through Windows Update, as well as Vista WHQL
drivers build 178.*-181.*. Safe mode works fine. I can get the desktop screen from anywhere between 10 seconds to 5 minutes after going through the Welcome Screen, then
I get this nasty screen. I have also tried changing refresh rates, turning SLI off, and trying each of the video cards by itself in the machine.

I had this same problem when Vista came out and chose to stick with Windows XP Pro. I am a gamer, so having decent graphics to play my games is pretty
important. However, I'd really like to upgrade to a new OS if nVidia can get the drivers right this time. I love the way Windows 7 runs on my laptop, just wish
it would run as well on my desktop!

For hardware reference, here is my current build, however this is going to change come tax time but I am keeping my dual-7900GTs:

Asus A8N-SLIDeluxe Motherboard Socket 939
AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego core
2GB DDR RAM
160GB Seatgate SATA Drive
500GB WD SATA Drive
LG DVD-RW +/- SATA Drive
Asus Agiea PhysX card
Netgear 802.11b wireless NIC

I don't expect resolution anytime soon, but hopefully this will help the guys in the driver development department come up with a fix as they're going to be
the ones building the drivers for Windows 7. A side from that, Windows 7 looks and works great![/left]
Hey folks!

I think I made a mistake and previously posted in the wrong forum, oops!

So I'm beta testing Windows 7 Build 7000 (Official release, not leaked :ph34r: ) and I'm testing through 2 comps. My laptop is a Dell

Inspirion E1505 that runs Win7 great, ATI's video drivers from Dell for Vista actually work really well on the comp. On the other hand, my gaming

comp with dual-7900GT's is having nasty issues. They say a picture speaks 1000 words, so I'll let the pic speak for itself:

This happens only when the nVidia video drivers are loaded. I have tried the Pre-release WDDM 1.1 drivers through Windows Update, as well as Vista WHQL

drivers build 178.*-181.*. Safe mode works fine. I can get the desktop screen from anywhere between 10 seconds to 5 minutes after going through the Welcome Screen, then

I get this nasty screen. I have also tried changing refresh rates, turning SLI off, and trying each of the video cards by itself in the machine.

I had this same problem when Vista came out and chose to stick with Windows XP Pro. I am a gamer, so having decent graphics to play my games is pretty

important. However, I'd really like to upgrade to a new OS if nVidia can get the drivers right this time. I love the way Windows 7 runs on my laptop, just wish

it would run as well on my desktop!

For hardware reference, here is my current build, however this is going to change come tax time but I am keeping my dual-7900GTs:

Asus A8N-SLIDeluxe Motherboard Socket 939

AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego core

2GB DDR RAM

160GB Seatgate SATA Drive

500GB WD SATA Drive

LG DVD-RW +/- SATA Drive

Asus Agiea PhysX card

Netgear 802.11b wireless NIC

I don't expect resolution anytime soon, but hopefully this will help the guys in the driver development department come up with a fix as they're going to be

the ones building the drivers for Windows 7. A side from that, Windows 7 looks and works great!

Posted 01/13/2009 09:31 PM   
Looks like this problem is same on different OSes. Something with synchronization with monitor. Look here: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86201"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86201[/url]
Looks like this problem is same on different OSes. Something with synchronization with monitor. Look here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86201

Posted 01/13/2009 10:43 PM   
[quote name='Nikarus' post='490695' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:43 PM']Looks like this problem is same on different OSes. Something with synchronization with monitor. Look here: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86201"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86201[/url][/quote]

I'm actually pretty surprised that this issue has been ongoing since Vista's release. Windows 7's biggest boast is the backwards compatibility with older hardware and to not be such a resource hog...
I've been an nVidia customer for every build of PC I've made since the original TNT. I only ATI on my laptop because it was bought used. Hell, the latest video card of purchased was an nVidia 9600GT for
my fiance's gaming comp...

I hate to jump on a bandwagon at this point because I thought it was just fanboi ranting, but if nVidia can't fix these issues that have been ongoing since Vista I'm probably going to jump on the wagon of
faithful customers that have joined ATI's ranks. Hell, at least my laptop with the ATI card works perfectly on Windows 7

I'll just have to keep an eye out for the time being...
[quote name='Nikarus' post='490695' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:43 PM']Looks like this problem is same on different OSes. Something with synchronization with monitor. Look here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86201

I'm actually pretty surprised that this issue has been ongoing since Vista's release. Windows 7's biggest boast is the backwards compatibility with older hardware and to not be such a resource hog...

I've been an nVidia customer for every build of PC I've made since the original TNT. I only ATI on my laptop because it was bought used. Hell, the latest video card of purchased was an nVidia 9600GT for

my fiance's gaming comp...

I hate to jump on a bandwagon at this point because I thought it was just fanboi ranting, but if nVidia can't fix these issues that have been ongoing since Vista I'm probably going to jump on the wagon of

faithful customers that have joined ATI's ranks. Hell, at least my laptop with the ATI card works perfectly on Windows 7

I'll just have to keep an eye out for the time being...

Posted 01/14/2009 02:25 AM   
If I remember correctly from reading on the Microsoft Technet forums, SLI isnt working yet correctly on Windows 7 Beta. Have u've tried only doing 1 card with the 7900GT?
If I remember correctly from reading on the Microsoft Technet forums, SLI isnt working yet correctly on Windows 7 Beta. Have u've tried only doing 1 card with the 7900GT?

Posted 01/14/2009 02:50 PM   
[quote name='Xcaliber010' post='490657' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:31 PM']I have also tried changing refresh rates, turning SLI off, and trying each of the video cards by itself in the machine.[/quote]

Yes.

Also tried the 185.20 drivers from Guru3d, I had a working screen for about 10 minutes, then the nasty lines again.

I'm already starting to lose faith however I will continue to wait and see what develops.
[quote name='Xcaliber010' post='490657' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:31 PM']I have also tried changing refresh rates, turning SLI off, and trying each of the video cards by itself in the machine.

Yes.

Also tried the 185.20 drivers from Guru3d, I had a working screen for about 10 minutes, then the nasty lines again.

I'm already starting to lose faith however I will continue to wait and see what develops.

Posted 01/14/2009 06:17 PM   
Hi,

I have had the same problem with my Galaxy 7900gs, I found a post about the problem with Vista when using an EVGA 7900gt. The fix was to either use the 158.24 drivers or to underclock the card and then flash the new clocks to the bios. I installed the 158.24 drivers and the problem has gone. It is something to do with the factory overclock, Im not sure why my card was affected though unless it is similar to the EVGA 7900gt in some way. The drivers are quite old so their might be some performance decrease in games. Hope this helps.
Hi,

I have had the same problem with my Galaxy 7900gs, I found a post about the problem with Vista when using an EVGA 7900gt. The fix was to either use the 158.24 drivers or to underclock the card and then flash the new clocks to the bios. I installed the 158.24 drivers and the problem has gone. It is something to do with the factory overclock, Im not sure why my card was affected though unless it is similar to the EVGA 7900gt in some way. The drivers are quite old so their might be some performance decrease in games. Hope this helps.

Posted 01/14/2009 07:30 PM   
[b]freddy1408[/b]
Hey I have the same problem with my factory overcklocked EVGA 7900GT... Can you PLEASE give me a link to that post!
freddy1408

Hey I have the same problem with my factory overcklocked EVGA 7900GT... Can you PLEASE give me a link to that post!

Posted 01/14/2009 09:54 PM   
[quote name='Nikarus' post='491208' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:54 PM'][b]freddy1408[/b]
Hey I have the same problem with my factory overcklocked EVGA 7900GT... Can you PLEASE give me a link to that post![/quote]

Here it is: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t43609.html"]http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t43609.html[/url]
[quote name='Nikarus' post='491208' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:54 PM']freddy1408

Here it is: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t43609.html

Posted 01/15/2009 10:55 PM   
Thank you very much!! I fixed it by reducing clock speeds (from 500/750 (the factory set default) to 488/742)!!
Thank you very much!! I fixed it by reducing clock speeds (from 500/750 (the factory set default) to 488/742)!!

Posted 01/17/2009 08:29 PM   
Good to see you got it sorted. I dont really want to have to underclock my card as it will make my card perform even worse in games.
Good to see you got it sorted. I dont really want to have to underclock my card as it will make my card perform even worse in games.

Posted 01/19/2009 02:45 PM   
Scroll To Top