Partitioning RAID 0+1
How can I create a second partition so that I can install Windows 7 on my nVidia 0+1 RAID array?

Also, how would I set it up so that I could boot either OS?

Thanks
How can I create a second partition so that I can install Windows 7 on my nVidia 0+1 RAID array?

Also, how would I set it up so that I could boot either OS?

Thanks

Posted 01/10/2009 04:17 PM   
Since Windows 7 is a BETA, you would be smart to install on its own HD, preferrably with the RAID disabled to prevent inadvertant overwriting of the array.
Since Windows 7 is a BETA, you would be smart to install on its own HD, preferrably with the RAID disabled to prevent inadvertant overwriting of the array.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 01/10/2009 04:28 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='489052' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:28 AM']Since Windows 7 is a BETA, you would be smart to install on its own HD, preferrably with the RAID disabled to prevent inadvertant overwriting of the array.[/quote]

OK, but since I have no other HDD (if I had another I would not be asking) can you tell how to go about partitioning and dual-booting, please?

Thank you.
[quote name='Greybear' post='489052' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:28 AM']Since Windows 7 is a BETA, you would be smart to install on its own HD, preferrably with the RAID disabled to prevent inadvertant overwriting of the array.

OK, but since I have no other HDD (if I had another I would not be asking) can you tell how to go about partitioning and dual-booting, please?

Thank you.

Posted 01/10/2009 04:30 PM   
[url="http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm"] See if this helps[/url]
See if this helps

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 01/10/2009 04:43 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='489064' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:43 AM'][url="http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm"] See if this helps[/url][/quote]

Well, no, actually it did not as I already have a RAID 0+1 array with Windows XP installed, and the tutorial really does not go into depth as to how to create the partitions.

I wish to create another (primary?) partition where I can install the Windows 7 BETA.
[quote name='Greybear' post='489064' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:43 AM'] See if this helps

Well, no, actually it did not as I already have a RAID 0+1 array with Windows XP installed, and the tutorial really does not go into depth as to how to create the partitions.

I wish to create another (primary?) partition where I can install the Windows 7 BETA.

Posted 01/10/2009 04:51 PM   
Ahh. Surely someone will be along that knows how to do that.
Ahh. Surely someone will be along that knows how to do that.

Posted 01/10/2009 04:59 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='489072' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:59 AM']Ahh. Surely someone will be along that knows how to do that.[/quote]

OK, thank you.
[quote name='Greybear' post='489072' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:59 AM']Ahh. Surely someone will be along that knows how to do that.

OK, thank you.

Posted 01/10/2009 05:22 PM   
[quote name='Al K. Hall' post='489084' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:22 PM']OK, thank you.[/quote]
Vista has built in support for resizing existing main partitions... With XP you'll need third party software.

There are only two I recommend...
1. Paragon Partition manager (30 days free trial)
2. EASEUS Partition manager

They're both reasonable however paragon partition manager can create a nice startup disk so that you can boot into a nice OS free GUI (in what looks like a linux distro!) and make changes to existing raid partitions. The issue is that you cannot load an OS to CPU kernel AND resize the main and active partition where all the OS kernel instructions reside.
[quote name='Al K. Hall' post='489084' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:22 PM']OK, thank you.

Vista has built in support for resizing existing main partitions... With XP you'll need third party software.

There are only two I recommend...

1. Paragon Partition manager (30 days free trial)

2. EASEUS Partition manager

They're both reasonable however paragon partition manager can create a nice startup disk so that you can boot into a nice OS free GUI (in what looks like a linux distro!) and make changes to existing raid partitions. The issue is that you cannot load an OS to CPU kernel AND resize the main and active partition where all the OS kernel instructions reside.

Posted 01/13/2009 04:09 AM   
^^
Good advice.

Since Win7 is a vista derivative there should be support for resizing partitions in the install sequence. This new partitioning system should not have changed much since vista since its a basic system.

Just follow the on screen instructions to where it asks you for the HDD to install to, Shrink your XP partition and install Win7 to the new [now free] space on your RAID.

Also, there is the option to download a Live Linux distro [ubuntu, suse, mandriva, etc] that also supports resizing NTFS partitions.
^^

Good advice.

Since Win7 is a vista derivative there should be support for resizing partitions in the install sequence. This new partitioning system should not have changed much since vista since its a basic system.

Just follow the on screen instructions to where it asks you for the HDD to install to, Shrink your XP partition and install Win7 to the new [now free] space on your RAID.

Also, there is the option to download a Live Linux distro [ubuntu, suse, mandriva, etc] that also supports resizing NTFS partitions.

Posted 01/13/2009 06:26 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='489072' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:59 AM']Ahh. Surely someone will be along that knows how to do that.[/quote]

I was able to do quite a bit of partition manipulation of my 0+1 using Ubuntu 8.1 on a boot CD.
There was also help on the Ubuntu forums w/ pics (screenshots) & stuff. Made it quite straight forward.
Should be easy enough for you to get a CD & at least fire up the thing & give it a look.

Good luck.
[quote name='Greybear' post='489072' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:59 AM']Ahh. Surely someone will be along that knows how to do that.

I was able to do quite a bit of partition manipulation of my 0+1 using Ubuntu 8.1 on a boot CD.

There was also help on the Ubuntu forums w/ pics (screenshots) & stuff. Made it quite straight forward.

Should be easy enough for you to get a CD & at least fire up the thing & give it a look.

Good luck.

Posted 07/13/2009 06:02 PM   
Scroll To Top