181.20s (Vista) appear to have borked Fallout 3 Lots of people reporting it
Never had any problems with Fallout 3 using the 180.84s. Upon installing the 181.20s I'm getting a ton of repeatable crashes.

For example, I have a savegame where I'm standing at the bottom of the Washington monument, if I look up towards the top it crashes, 100% repeatable. Load the game, look up, crash. And it's not that that savegame is messed up or anything, that's just one example. I'm getting crashing in a bunch of areas in the same manner where if I look at a certain area or move to a certain location the game will crash.

People on [url="http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125882&page=2"]nV News[/url], [url="http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33938872"]Rage 3D[/url], and the [url="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=938939"]Bethesda[/url] forums are reporting the same.

Appears these drivers are legitimately screwed up with regard to Fallout 3.
Never had any problems with Fallout 3 using the 180.84s. Upon installing the 181.20s I'm getting a ton of repeatable crashes.

For example, I have a savegame where I'm standing at the bottom of the Washington monument, if I look up towards the top it crashes, 100% repeatable. Load the game, look up, crash. And it's not that that savegame is messed up or anything, that's just one example. I'm getting crashing in a bunch of areas in the same manner where if I look at a certain area or move to a certain location the game will crash.

People on nV News, Rage 3D, and the Bethesda forums are reporting the same.

Core i7-875k

EVGA P55 LE

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600

Corsair 620W PSU

Win7 Home Premium x64

Posted 01/09/2009 04:38 AM   
Hi
I to am having trouble with Fallout 3 since installing 181.20, keeps on crashing when i leave Lamplight Caverns

Vista Ultimate SP 1
EVGA GTX 280
2 gig ram
EVGA Nforce 680i Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
Hi

I to am having trouble with Fallout 3 since installing 181.20, keeps on crashing when i leave Lamplight Caverns

Vista Ultimate SP 1

EVGA GTX 280

2 gig ram

EVGA Nforce 680i Mobo

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

Posted 01/09/2009 10:53 AM   
I'm having the same problem (crash when looking up, 100% repeatable) and I'm looking into why right now. Normally run at max detail and the crash is repeatable, if I turn all detail to minimum or off it's working well right now. I'll post again when I figure out exactly what the problem is.
Can somebody with a 32bot version of Windows just verify that turning all the detail down to minimums fixes the issue?

Steam version of Fallout3
Vista Ultimate 64bit
2x8800GTX SLi
EVGA 790i Ultra
QX6850
I'm having the same problem (crash when looking up, 100% repeatable) and I'm looking into why right now. Normally run at max detail and the crash is repeatable, if I turn all detail to minimum or off it's working well right now. I'll post again when I figure out exactly what the problem is.

Can somebody with a 32bot version of Windows just verify that turning all the detail down to minimums fixes the issue?

Steam version of Fallout3

Vista Ultimate 64bit

2x8800GTX SLi

EVGA 790i Ultra

QX6850

Posted 01/10/2009 06:12 AM   
Okay after checking everything, I found that turning the 'Water Multisampling' down to Low solved the crashed when I was looking up. (Note that the save game I'm testing is miles away from any water, so I really don't understand the connection, but I suggest some other people test this out too. ;)
Okay after checking everything, I found that turning the 'Water Multisampling' down to Low solved the crashed when I was looking up. (Note that the save game I'm testing is miles away from any water, so I really don't understand the connection, but I suggest some other people test this out too. ;)

Posted 01/10/2009 06:28 AM   
That worked for me Natalie, thanks! (edit: sadly not, see below) Set water multisampling to low and all the repeatable crashes are gone; medium & high = crash city. I'll spread the word.

These drivers seemed to have removed some micro-stuttering and smoothed out the game a little. So it's a very acceptable tradeoff. Looks like water multisampling just anti-aliases the reflections of the landscape in water. Not a big deal to lose it.
That worked for me Natalie, thanks! (edit: sadly not, see below) Set water multisampling to low and all the repeatable crashes are gone; medium & high = crash city. I'll spread the word.

These drivers seemed to have removed some micro-stuttering and smoothed out the game a little. So it's a very acceptable tradeoff. Looks like water multisampling just anti-aliases the reflections of the landscape in water. Not a big deal to lose it.

Core i7-875k

EVGA P55 LE

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600

Corsair 620W PSU

Win7 Home Premium x64

Posted 01/10/2009 08:57 AM   
Spoke too soon. While I verfied that I can now look up and move to areas that had been consistently crashing before, going into VATS at certain points still crashes the game. Back to 180.84s :(

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the next release.
Spoke too soon. While I verfied that I can now look up and move to areas that had been consistently crashing before, going into VATS at certain points still crashes the game. Back to 180.84s :(

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the next release.

Core i7-875k

EVGA P55 LE

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600

Corsair 620W PSU

Win7 Home Premium x64

Posted 01/10/2009 07:34 PM   
Hmm.. That's unfourtunate. I haven't had an issue with VATS but I will test it further. In either case there's definitely something wrong with 181.20 and Fallout 3. As long as Nvidia knows about it, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next driver release.
Hmm.. That's unfourtunate. I haven't had an issue with VATS but I will test it further. In either case there's definitely something wrong with 181.20 and Fallout 3. As long as Nvidia knows about it, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next driver release.

Posted 01/11/2009 12:24 AM   
I never had any CTD's until after this driver update....

Whenever I shoot in Vats i get a CTD :(

But on the other hand Crysis Warhead seems to work much more smoother then it used to. Still i'm reverting to my previous drivers....

btw what's the difference between English (US) and English (UK) when downloading drivers? is it bad if i pick English (US) when i don't have a US operating system?
I never had any CTD's until after this driver update....

Whenever I shoot in Vats i get a CTD :(

But on the other hand Crysis Warhead seems to work much more smoother then it used to. Still i'm reverting to my previous drivers....

btw what's the difference between English (US) and English (UK) when downloading drivers? is it bad if i pick English (US) when i don't have a US operating system?

Posted 01/11/2009 02:47 AM   
[quote name='Stevedroid' post='488408' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:38 PM']Never had any problems with Fallout 3 using the 180.84s. Upon installing the 181.20s I'm getting a ton of repeatable crashes.

People on [url="http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125882&page=2"]nV News[/url], [url="http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33938872"]Rage 3D[/url], and the [url="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=938939"]Bethesda[/url] forums are reporting the same.

Appears these drivers are legitimately screwed up with regard to Fallout 3.[/quote]

The same thing happens in ut3 and have a big thread on the official forums with alot of people with the issue. so what i did was just rollback to 178.24 and i get no problems
[quote name='Stevedroid' post='488408' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:38 PM']Never had any problems with Fallout 3 using the 180.84s. Upon installing the 181.20s I'm getting a ton of repeatable crashes.

The same thing happens in ut3 and have a big thread on the official forums with alot of people with the issue. so what i did was just rollback to 178.24 and i get no problems

Posted 01/11/2009 06:04 PM   

Appears these drivers are legitimately screwed up with regard to Fallout 3.[/quote]
For me, both the 180.84s and 181.20s caused a lot of crashes (BFG 320mb 8800 GTS OC2). I had to roll back to 180.48 for crashes/TDRs to stop from occurring. Also I've had those problems on a Vista install that I've had for 2 years and a brand new Windows 7 beta install as well.

For me, both the 180.84s and 181.20s caused a lot of crashes (BFG 320mb 8800 GTS OC2). I had to roll back to 180.48 for crashes/TDRs to stop from occurring. Also I've had those problems on a Vista install that I've had for 2 years and a brand new Windows 7 beta install as well.

Posted 01/11/2009 10:11 PM   
[quote name='bcrt2000' post='489624' date='Jan 11 2009, 06:11 PM']For me, both the 180.84s and 181.20s caused a lot of crashes (BFG 320mb 8800 GTS OC2). I had to roll back to 180.48 for crashes/TDRs to stop from occurring. Also I've had those problems on a Vista install that I've had for 2 years and a brand new Windows 7 beta install as well.[/quote]

I too installed the 181.20 drivers for my 9600gt and in VATS [u]every time[/u] I hit "E" to execute the VATS commands I just entered it would crash to desktop, everytime.
[quote name='bcrt2000' post='489624' date='Jan 11 2009, 06:11 PM']For me, both the 180.84s and 181.20s caused a lot of crashes (BFG 320mb 8800 GTS OC2). I had to roll back to 180.48 for crashes/TDRs to stop from occurring. Also I've had those problems on a Vista install that I've had for 2 years and a brand new Windows 7 beta install as well.

I too installed the 181.20 drivers for my 9600gt and in VATS every time I hit "E" to execute the VATS commands I just entered it would crash to desktop, everytime.

Posted 01/12/2009 05:20 PM   
apparantly there are new beta drivers out: 181.22

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_181.22_beta.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_181.22_beta.html[/url]

[url="http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/181.22/181.22_WinXP_GeForce_Release_Notes.pdf"]http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/181....lease_Notes.pdf[/url]

Not sure if it fixes the CTD's though....
apparantly there are new beta drivers out: 181.22

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_181.22_beta.html

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/181....lease_Notes.pdf

Posted 01/18/2009 02:21 AM   
[quote name='Leafar' post='489275' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:47 AM']btw what's the difference between English (US) and English (UK) when downloading drivers? is it bad if i pick English (US) when i don't have a US operating system?[/quote]
No it makes no difference. The driver is 1 same driver for all language

Don't know if there's a difference between uk and us english (spelling wise, there are some words difference), but probably the agreement and EULA stuff may have some difference depending on UK laws

But nope, it doesn't matter which language you use, its all the same practically
[quote name='Leafar' post='489275' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:47 AM']btw what's the difference between English (US) and English (UK) when downloading drivers? is it bad if i pick English (US) when i don't have a US operating system?

No it makes no difference. The driver is 1 same driver for all language

Don't know if there's a difference between uk and us english (spelling wise, there are some words difference), but probably the agreement and EULA stuff may have some difference depending on UK laws

But nope, it doesn't matter which language you use, its all the same practically

Posted 01/18/2009 07:46 AM   
[quote name='Leafar' post='492910' date='Jan 18 2009, 01:21 PM']apparantly there are new beta drivers out: 181.22

Not sure if it fixes the CTD's though....[/quote]
Seems to have fixed the Water Multisampling bug I was getting, at least as far as I can tell.
[quote name='Leafar' post='492910' date='Jan 18 2009, 01:21 PM']apparantly there are new beta drivers out: 181.22

Seems to have fixed the Water Multisampling bug I was getting, at least as far as I can tell.

Posted 01/24/2009 11:20 AM   
yeah I got no more crashes from Fallout3 after the 181.22 drivers, but now I get some screen tearing when i'm watching vids.....
yeah I got no more crashes from Fallout3 after the 181.22 drivers, but now I get some screen tearing when i'm watching vids.....

Posted 01/24/2009 03:38 PM   
Scroll To Top