No HDMI Audio via Graphics Card
Not sure if this goes in gfx or mobo section but what the hell

I have 2x Gainward 9600 GT 1Gb and a Asus Formula II Striker Nforce 780i and 64 Bit Vista SP1

I just got a new TV and decided to use my graphics card to extend my monitor
While picture is fine, there is no sound
I'm using an internal 2 pin to 2 pin SPDIF cable from mobo to gfx
sound card has no SPDIF internal output that i can find
since they ship together i assume they think you can use the mobo's

I have gone control panel -> sound and set SPDIF as default, and the greenbar moves, so i assume vista thinks sound is being sent
But my TV just shows the picture, my graphics card has a SPDIF port, not sure if it's an input or output, and can't find a diagram
gfx manual is just a generic quick start, no use

I've looked for a HDMI audio driver, nothing matches.
I've used a Toslink Fibre Optic Cable, my mobo external connection gives red light, my gfx does nothing
so either it's not outputting anyting, or its an input
however connecting my mobo output to the gfx does not fix the sound

Can anyone Help
Please........ ^_^
Not sure if this goes in gfx or mobo section but what the hell

I have 2x Gainward 9600 GT 1Gb and a Asus Formula II Striker Nforce 780i and 64 Bit Vista SP1

I just got a new TV and decided to use my graphics card to extend my monitor

While picture is fine, there is no sound

I'm using an internal 2 pin to 2 pin SPDIF cable from mobo to gfx

sound card has no SPDIF internal output that i can find

since they ship together i assume they think you can use the mobo's

I have gone control panel -> sound and set SPDIF as default, and the greenbar moves, so i assume vista thinks sound is being sent

But my TV just shows the picture, my graphics card has a SPDIF port, not sure if it's an input or output, and can't find a diagram

gfx manual is just a generic quick start, no use

I've looked for a HDMI audio driver, nothing matches.

I've used a Toslink Fibre Optic Cable, my mobo external connection gives red light, my gfx does nothing

so either it's not outputting anyting, or its an input

however connecting my mobo output to the gfx does not fix the sound

Can anyone Help

Please........ ^_^

64bit Vista Home Premium SP1
Intel Q9300 Quad Core 2.5 Ghz
Gainward Bliss 9600 GT 1GB x2
8GB Corsair Dominator 1066 Mhz DDR2 RAM
750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/07/2009 04:13 PM   
The VGA Card has a spdif_I(Input) that passes audio through a hdmi port or dvi/hdmi adapter.

If the board already has spdif_O(output) on the back panel then i would think the you are connected to the spdif_I(Input).
You see the problem.
The VGA Card has a spdif_I(Input) that passes audio through a hdmi port or dvi/hdmi adapter.

If the board already has spdif_O(output) on the back panel then i would think the you are connected to the spdif_I(Input).

You see the problem.

Posted 01/08/2009 02:42 PM   
[quote name='fatboy' post='488027' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:42 PM']The VGA Card has a spdif_I(Input) that passes audio through a hdmi port or dvi/hdmi adapter.

You see the problem.[/quote]
The internal port is listed as an input in the manual, however it says nothing about the fibre port
i'm assuming that is an output, since using it as an input does nothing
[quote name='fatboy' post='488027' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:42 PM']The VGA Card has a spdif_I(Input) that passes audio through a hdmi port or dvi/hdmi adapter.

You see the problem.

The internal port is listed as an input in the manual, however it says nothing about the fibre port

i'm assuming that is an output, since using it as an input does nothing

750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/08/2009 07:34 PM   
I know nothing about this....

But something came to mind....in the Console, the original sound device should have an option to select the output type or device? Maybe?

And did you install the HDMI driver for the videocard?

Did you have this issue prior to installation of the 180.xx drivers? If you do not know, go back a set or two...or you might also try the 181.xx series.
I know nothing about this....

But something came to mind....in the Console, the original sound device should have an option to select the output type or device? Maybe?

Did you have this issue prior to installation of the 180.xx drivers? If you do not know, go back a set or two...or you might also try the 181.xx series.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Only a fool leaves a driver in place that they know caused a problem.

Feel free to PM me if I stop responding :)

Posted 01/08/2009 08:08 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='488189' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:08 PM']I know nothing about this....

Did you have this issue prior to installation of the 180.xx drivers? If you do not know, go back a set or two...or you might also try the 181.xx series.[/quote]

Yep I select the output device via control panel, vista says it is sending data to it, the volume bar moves

I assume it has installed the HDMI driver, my Nvidia control panel picks up the tv via hdmi, and i can set what format to send the data, 1080P etc

EDIT 181.xx installed and i still have aero :) However no sound via HDMI
[quote name='Greybear' post='488189' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:08 PM']I know nothing about this....

Yep I select the output device via control panel, vista says it is sending data to it, the volume bar moves

I assume it has installed the HDMI driver, my Nvidia control panel picks up the tv via hdmi, and i can set what format to send the data, 1080P etc

EDIT 181.xx installed and i still have aero :) However no sound via HDMI

750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/08/2009 10:57 PM   
Looking at the contents of the Videocard, the cable that came with it appeares to be an all in 1. 1 Output from Card, splits to Video and audio for the TV, is that right?

Check the Volume control panel and make sure the specific output is not muted. Check the audio control panel for the same thing.

Device manager shows no (!) correct?
Looking at the contents of the Videocard, the cable that came with it appeares to be an all in 1. 1 Output from Card, splits to Video and audio for the TV, is that right?

Check the Volume control panel and make sure the specific output is not muted. Check the audio control panel for the same thing.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 01/09/2009 12:28 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='488299' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:28 AM']Looking at the contents of the Videocard, the cable that came with it appeares to be an all in 1. 1 Output from Card, splits to Video and audio for the TV, is that right?

Device manager shows no (!) correct?[/quote]

[url="http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Sources/N/Nvidia%209600GT/Gainward%209600GT%20Top/IMG_6906.jpg"]http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/S...op/IMG_6906.jpg[/url]

I think the cable you are looking at is power, SPDIF is far right

it's not muted, device manager says everything is fine.
[quote name='Greybear' post='488299' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:28 AM']Looking at the contents of the Videocard, the cable that came with it appeares to be an all in 1. 1 Output from Card, splits to Video and audio for the TV, is that right?

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/S...op/IMG_6906.jpg

I think the cable you are looking at is power, SPDIF is far right

it's not muted, device manager says everything is fine.

750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/09/2009 12:56 AM   
Ahh. was looking at the wrong version. The HDTV cable in the 512mb looks like an Audio / Video cable.

Still dont know anything :( but.... can you descride every connection from the card to the TV?

You do have the internal SPDIF wire connected to the board tho, right?
Ahh. was looking at the wrong version. The HDTV cable in the 512mb looks like an Audio / Video cable.

Still dont know anything :( but.... can you descride every connection from the card to the TV?

Posted 01/09/2009 01:09 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='488313' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:09 AM']Ahh. was looking at the wrong version. The HDTV cable in the 512mb looks like an Audio / Video cable.

You do have the internal SPDIF wire connected to the board tho, right?[/quote]

The only connection from card to tv is hdmi, it's meant to carry everything :(( only in this case..
I'm not sure if my tv will accept SPDIF directly, there's a left right / input, but no SPDIF in, just out
also, i have no external SPDIF cable

Yes the internal SPDIF goes from mobo to card, i have checked and reconnected it twice - even replaced the cable
[quote name='Greybear' post='488313' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:09 AM']Ahh. was looking at the wrong version. The HDTV cable in the 512mb looks like an Audio / Video cable.

The only connection from card to tv is hdmi, it's meant to carry everything :(( only in this case..

I'm not sure if my tv will accept SPDIF directly, there's a left right / input, but no SPDIF in, just out

also, i have no external SPDIF cable

Yes the internal SPDIF goes from mobo to card, i have checked and reconnected it twice - even replaced the cable

750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/09/2009 01:16 AM   
Hopefully someone that actually knows this like Fat or another comes along...Im out of ideas..
Hopefully someone that actually knows this like Fat or another comes along...Im out of ideas..

Posted 01/09/2009 01:19 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' post='488318' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:19 AM']Hopefully someone that actually knows this like Fat or another comes along...Im out of ideas..[/quote]

Thanks for Trying :)
[quote name='Greybear' post='488318' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:19 AM']Hopefully someone that actually knows this like Fat or another comes along...Im out of ideas..

Thanks for Trying :)

750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/09/2009 01:23 AM   
There is a cable you could get to connect the back spdif port to the vga's input to enable hdmi sound.

I think the fact that 3 wires(power,ground & spdif info) are needed from a mobo usually to enable the port means lots of people will strike this issue.Not 100% about this yet.

The tv has spdif out so it can pass the hdmi audio onto a receiver/amplifier if you wished.
There is a cable you could get to connect the back spdif port to the vga's input to enable hdmi sound.

I think the fact that 3 wires(power,ground & spdif info) are needed from a mobo usually to enable the port means lots of people will strike this issue.Not 100% about this yet.

The tv has spdif out so it can pass the hdmi audio onto a receiver/amplifier if you wished.

Posted 01/09/2009 01:06 PM   
[quote name='fatboy' post='488544' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:06 PM']There is a cable you could get to connect the back spdif port to the vga's input to enable hdmi sound.

The tv has spdif out so it can pass the hdmi audio onto a receiver/amplifier if you wished.[/quote]

From where to where do you mean internal or external SPDIF out ??

My motherboard provides 3 pins, however my vga manual says use 2, ground and info, don't connect to 5v
[quote name='fatboy' post='488544' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:06 PM']There is a cable you could get to connect the back spdif port to the vga's input to enable hdmi sound.

From where to where do you mean internal or external SPDIF out ??

My motherboard provides 3 pins, however my vga manual says use 2, ground and info, don't connect to 5v

750W Zalman PSU

Posted 01/11/2009 08:53 PM   
EDIT: Never mind, I think it might be a hardware problem.
EDIT: Never mind, I think it might be a hardware problem.

Posted 03/12/2009 10:57 PM   
Most likely you covered this, but with my mobo I had to go into the BIOS and turn on HDMI audio. Without doing this it still was using the onboard audio outputs or a sound card.
Most likely you covered this, but with my mobo I had to go into the BIOS and turn on HDMI audio. Without doing this it still was using the onboard audio outputs or a sound card.

Posted 03/13/2009 07:27 PM   
Scroll To Top