ATI Radeon 9200 LE & nVidia 6200 TC incompatabilities Both in one system, but only one will work
Hello,

Ive been running a Windows XP System with a Radeon 9200 LE & a Geforce 6200 TC at the same time with dual monitors for 1.5 years now.

The nVidia is connected to my main monitor, and sits in a PCIe slot

(Driver: 6.14.11.7516)

The Radeon in an AGP port (Driver: 8.252.0.0)

Today the nVidia began have issues when switching monitor resolution, whilest opening a game. The game opened in a window, and the resolution stayed the same, as if in desktop mode.

After a reboot the nVidia would only allow me a 640 x 480 pixel res, whilest my secondary monitor worked fine.

I couldnt resolve the issues with reinstalling the card or using different drivers. I unplugged the AGP radeon, and all of a sudden the nVidia card worked nicely and in all resolutions.

But now the Radeon will not work. If I go into "Desktop --> Properties --> Settings" I receive the error message:

The currently selected graphics diver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver. (Which is utter BS...) Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft providers."

My question now is: How did I initially get everything to work?

I think it has something to do with nVidias nView and/or Desktop manager, which I cannot uninstall without uninstalling the driver. If anyone has managed to get a similar setup running, please be so kind as to point me into the right direction.

Kind regards,

Haidenai

P.S: If I download a driver, and install it via the inf directly, I expect to only receive a working driver. - You might as well ad the Google toolbar to the drivers installation too...

[color="#FF0000"][size=4]Resolved. See below for solution[/size][/color]
Hello,

Ive been running a Windows XP System with a Radeon 9200 LE & a Geforce 6200 TC at the same time with dual monitors for 1.5 years now.

Today the nVidia began have issues when switching monitor resolution, whilest opening a game. The game opened in a window, and the resolution stayed the same, as if in desktop mode.

After a reboot the nVidia would only allow me a 640 x 480 pixel res, whilest my secondary monitor worked fine.

I couldnt resolve the issues with reinstalling the card or using different drivers. I unplugged the AGP radeon, and all of a sudden the nVidia card worked nicely and in all resolutions.

But now the Radeon will not work. If I go into "Desktop --> Properties --> Settings" I receive the error message:

The currently selected graphics diver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver. (Which is utter BS...) Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft providers."

I think it has something to do with nVidias nView and/or Desktop manager, which I cannot uninstall without uninstalling the driver. If anyone has managed to get a similar setup running, please be so kind as to point me into the right direction.

Kind regards,

Haidenai

P.S: If I download a driver, and install it via the inf directly, I expect to only receive a working driver. - You might as well ad the Google toolbar to the drivers installation too...

Resolved. See below for solution

Posted 01/05/2009 05:58 PM   
[quote name='JazzMatazz' post='486525' date='Jan 5 2009, 03:58 PM']Hello,

Kind regards,

Haidenai

P.S: If I download a driver, and install it via the inf directly, I expect to only receive a working driver. - You might as well ad the Google toolbar to the drivers installation too...[/quote]
Try using the 94.24 drivers for your 6200, which are the best choice so far, get them from here: [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html[/url]
[quote name='JazzMatazz' post='486525' date='Jan 5 2009, 03:58 PM']Hello,

Kind regards,

Haidenai

Try using the 94.24 drivers for your 6200, which are the best choice so far, get them from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Posted 01/05/2009 11:09 PM   
Hi,
thanks a lot for your quick reply! I think that thanks to you, I finally got it working again.
Here´s [i]my[/i] solution:

My System:
Win XP Pro SP II
ASROCK Dual SATA-II 939 Mobo
MSI Geforce 6200 TC on PCIe
ATI Radeon 9200 LE on AGP

01.) Download and install Driver Cleaner Pro - [url="http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download_splash.cfm/driver_cleaner_pro"]http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download...ver_cleaner_pro[/url]
02.) Reboot into safe mode and apply clean up of all ATI and nVidia drivers and applications
03.) Shutdown system upon completion
04.) Physically remove the Radeon from the system and boot into normal windows
05.) Download 94.24 Driver for the Geforce 6200
06.) Start Driver Setup and let it extract the files (usually something like C:\NVIDIA\WINXP\94.24)
07.) CANCEL Setup before it installs the graphics controller and nView
08.) Go START --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware (Tab) --> Device Manager
09.) Select "Display Adapters" --> Double click the only device shown under this entry
10.) Select Driver Tab --> Update Driver --> "No, not this time" *next* --> "Install form specific location" *next* --> "Don´t search. I will choose" *next* --> "Have disk" and go to where the driver is and install
(In my case it is "C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\94.24\")
11.) Go START --> "Run..." --> type "MSCONFIG" *Enter* --> Start up Tab --> Disable NVCPL NVMCTray and nwiz ; Services tab --> Disable Nvidia Display Driver Service
12.) Shutdown your system and install the Radeon card
13.) Boot and download recommended Radeon Driver from the AMD website
14.) Start installer, let it unpack, but cancel installation before programs and drivers are installed
15.) Go START --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware (Tab) --> Device Manager
09.) Select "Display Adapters" --> Double click on the adapter which isnt the nVidia card
10.) Select Driver Tab --> Update Driver --> "No, not this time" *next* --> "Install form specific location" *next* --> "Don´t search. I will choose" *next* --> "Have disk" and go to where the driver is and install
(In my case it is "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185\Driver\2KXP_INF\")
11.) Enable the card view Right click on the desktop --> Properties --> Settings

Now everything should work.

In essence I suspect the newer nVidia Driver or nView of deliberately disabling the Radeon. However, installing the Radeon first is no good either, so maybe its doing the same.
At least for me newer Forceware did not do the trick, it might for you though.
Another possibility could be that installing the AGP card before the PCI or vice versa is the reason for the hick-ups.

I hope this is useful for other people and other cards, considering all you find on the net is, that two different chips wont work together....

- Jazz
Hi,

thanks a lot for your quick reply! I think that thanks to you, I finally got it working again.

Here´s my solution:

My System:

Win XP Pro SP II

01.) Download and install Driver Cleaner Pro - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download...ver_cleaner_pro

02.) Reboot into safe mode and apply clean up of all ATI and nVidia drivers and applications

06.) Start Driver Setup and let it extract the files (usually something like C:\NVIDIA\WINXP\94.24)

08.) Go START --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware (Tab) --> Device Manager

09.) Select "Display Adapters" --> Double click the only device shown under this entry

11.) Go START --> "Run..." --> type "MSCONFIG" *Enter* --> Start up Tab --> Disable NVCPL NVMCTray and nwiz ; Services tab --> Disable Nvidia Display Driver Service

14.) Start installer, let it unpack, but cancel installation before programs and drivers are installed

15.) Go START --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware (Tab) --> Device Manager

09.) Select "Display Adapters" --> Double click on the adapter which isnt the nVidia card

(In my case it is "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185\Driver\2KXP_INF\")

11.) Enable the card view Right click on the desktop --> Properties --> Settings

In essence I suspect the newer nVidia Driver or nView of deliberately disabling the Radeon. However, installing the Radeon first is no good either, so maybe its doing the same.

Another possibility could be that installing the AGP card before the PCI or vice versa is the reason for the hick-ups.

I hope this is useful for other people and other cards, considering all you find on the net is, that two different chips wont work together....

- Jazz

Posted 01/06/2009 05:03 PM   
[quote name='JazzMatazz' post='487019' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:03 PM']Hi,
Here´s [i]my[/i] solution:

My System:
Win XP Pro SP II

01.) Download and install Driver Cleaner Pro - [url="http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download_splash.cfm/driver_cleaner_pro"]http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download...ver_cleaner_pro[/url]

- Jazz[/quote]
Interesting, didn't think this will work, but, again they are in PCI-Express and AGP slots, so, they are in two totally different slots. Also, wanted to mention that the newest drivers from Nvidia and even some of the older ones don't support the 6200, so, that might have been the problem. Glad to know everything worked out :)
[quote name='JazzMatazz' post='487019' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:03 PM']Hi,

Here´s my solution:

My System:

Win XP Pro SP II

01.) Download and install Driver Cleaner Pro - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download...ver_cleaner_pro

- Jazz

Interesting, didn't think this will work, but, again they are in PCI-Express and AGP slots, so, they are in two totally different slots. Also, wanted to mention that the newest drivers from Nvidia and even some of the older ones don't support the 6200, so, that might have been the problem. Glad to know everything worked out :)

Posted 01/06/2009 05:55 PM   
Scroll To Top