Riad driver version and NVRAIDMAN question
I have just finished reinstalling Windows XP on an ASUS AN8-E motherboard (nForce4 ultra) with Raid1 mirror setup using two SATA drives. Everything went OK and works as expected. No errors.

Now I have a couple of questions:

1. I used the raid drivers that came on the original ASUS driver CD. They included an option for making a driver floppy that can be installed during Windows setup using the F6 command. How can I tell what version the drivers are? When I point to the files with File Explorer, it reports File Version 5.10.2600.534 dated 5/17/2005.

Do I need to update the drivers (or are these good enough?)

2. The nVidia Raid User's Guide suggests installing NVRAIDMAN, the raid management tool. However, there are no instructions for doing this. I found the software in a "raidtool" directory on the ASUS CD, along with several dll's and RegRaid.bat, but no instructions for installation. I tried ran NVRAIDMAN from the CD and it seemed to work OK.

Should I install the software into Windows or just run it from the CD when needed? How do I install the software?

Thanks for your help.
I have just finished reinstalling Windows XP on an ASUS AN8-E motherboard (nForce4 ultra) with Raid1 mirror setup using two SATA drives. Everything went OK and works as expected. No errors.

Now I have a couple of questions:

1. I used the raid drivers that came on the original ASUS driver CD. They included an option for making a driver floppy that can be installed during Windows setup using the F6 command. How can I tell what version the drivers are? When I point to the files with File Explorer, it reports File Version 5.10.2600.534 dated 5/17/2005.

Do I need to update the drivers (or are these good enough?)

2. The nVidia Raid User's Guide suggests installing NVRAIDMAN, the raid management tool. However, there are no instructions for doing this. I found the software in a "raidtool" directory on the ASUS CD, along with several dll's and RegRaid.bat, but no instructions for installation. I tried ran NVRAIDMAN from the CD and it seemed to work OK.

Should I install the software into Windows or just run it from the CD when needed? How do I install the software?

Thanks for your help.

Posted 12/07/2008 06:46 PM   
1. The nForce SataRAID drivers you got installed are very old. So it would be a good idea to update them by newer/better ones. [u]Attention:[/u] Don't take NVIDIA's official driverpack 15.23, because the included nForce IDE drivers do not work with NF4 RAID systems and probably will break your RAID.
2. Since the RAIDTOOL is not essential for RAID users, there is no need to install it. The only advantage is, that you get access to the MediaShield Console from within Windows. As long as I had my nForce4 SataRAID system I have never installed the "RAIDTOOL" and I never missed it.
Nevertheless you can easily get the RAIDTOOL installed, if you run the installer of any suitable nForce chipsete driverpack and check the "MediaShield" option.
If you want further instructions how to get the RAIDTOOL manually installed, you may look into the Annex III part of [url="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vista-and-nvraid-installation-guide-and-troubleshooting-vt66299.html?start=0"]this[/url] guide (it was written for Vista, but the installation is similar with XP).

My advice:
Look [url="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/optimized-nforce-chipset-driverpacks-for-xp-32-64bit-vt70968.html?start=0"]here[/url] for a suitable nForce driverpack for your NF4 chipset mainboard. I recommend to download [url="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m1mzx3b53qm"]this[/url] completely WHQL signed nForce chipset driverpack. Unzip it, run the installer and choose all nForce drivers you need (IDE, Ethernet, SMBus etc.) inclusive the MediaShield ones. This way you will get the nForce IDE drivers v6.99 and the suitable RAIDTOOL version 6.95 installed.
1. The nForce SataRAID drivers you got installed are very old. So it would be a good idea to update them by newer/better ones. Attention: Don't take NVIDIA's official driverpack 15.23, because the included nForce IDE drivers do not work with NF4 RAID systems and probably will break your RAID.

2. Since the RAIDTOOL is not essential for RAID users, there is no need to install it. The only advantage is, that you get access to the MediaShield Console from within Windows. As long as I had my nForce4 SataRAID system I have never installed the "RAIDTOOL" and I never missed it.

Nevertheless you can easily get the RAIDTOOL installed, if you run the installer of any suitable nForce chipsete driverpack and check the "MediaShield" option.

If you want further instructions how to get the RAIDTOOL manually installed, you may look into the Annex III part of this guide (it was written for Vista, but the installation is similar with XP).

My advice:

Look here for a suitable nForce driverpack for your NF4 chipset mainboard. I recommend to download this completely WHQL signed nForce chipset driverpack. Unzip it, run the installer and choose all nForce drivers you need (IDE, Ethernet, SMBus etc.) inclusive the MediaShield ones. This way you will get the nForce IDE drivers v6.99 and the suitable RAIDTOOL version 6.95 installed.

Posted 12/07/2008 08:37 PM   
Fernando,

Thanks for the link. It looks like you have put a tremendous amount of effort into sorting all this out. One more question: I am running Seagate SATA II drives, and you comment that one might get better performance with SATA II using one of your high performance packs. In this case, would it be better to use the performance pack?
Fernando,

Thanks for the link. It looks like you have put a tremendous amount of effort into sorting all this out. One more question: I am running Seagate SATA II drives, and you comment that one might get better performance with SATA II using one of your high performance packs. In this case, would it be better to use the performance pack?

Posted 12/13/2008 03:50 PM   
[quote name='pschatz100' post='476328' date='Dec 13 2008, 04:50 PM']I am running Seagate SATA II drives, and you comment that one might get better performance with SATA II using one of your high performance packs. In this case, would it be better to use the performance pack?[/quote]You may try to use my NF4-7 Performance Pack, but I doubt, that you will get the included nForce SataRAID drivers installed (although the associated INF files have the needed HardwareID's for your nForce4 AMD Ultra chipset). Unfortunately the majority of nForce4 RAID systems do not accept any of the actual AHCI capable XP nForce IDE drivers v9.x.x or v10.x.x.x series.
[quote name='pschatz100' post='476328' date='Dec 13 2008, 04:50 PM']I am running Seagate SATA II drives, and you comment that one might get better performance with SATA II using one of your high performance packs. In this case, would it be better to use the performance pack?You may try to use my NF4-7 Performance Pack, but I doubt, that you will get the included nForce SataRAID drivers installed (although the associated INF files have the needed HardwareID's for your nForce4 AMD Ultra chipset). Unfortunately the majority of nForce4 RAID systems do not accept any of the actual AHCI capable XP nForce IDE drivers v9.x.x or v10.x.x.x series.

Posted 12/13/2008 06:00 PM   
[quote name='Fernando' post='476368' date='Dec 13 2008, 12:00 PM']You may try to use my NF4-7 Performance Pack, but I doubt, that you will get the included nForce SataRAID drivers installed (although the associated INF files have the needed HardwareID's for your nForce4 AMD Ultra chipset). Unfortunately the majority of nForce4 RAID systems do not accept any of the actual AHCI capable XP nForce IDE drivers v9.x.x or v10.x.x.x series.[/quote]
Fernando,

I installed your recommended drivers and it all went without a hitch. Thank you. Your advice was invaluable!!
[quote name='Fernando' post='476368' date='Dec 13 2008, 12:00 PM']You may try to use my NF4-7 Performance Pack, but I doubt, that you will get the included nForce SataRAID drivers installed (although the associated INF files have the needed HardwareID's for your nForce4 AMD Ultra chipset). Unfortunately the majority of nForce4 RAID systems do not accept any of the actual AHCI capable XP nForce IDE drivers v9.x.x or v10.x.x.x series.

Fernando,

I installed your recommended drivers and it all went without a hitch. Thank you. Your advice was invaluable!!

Posted 12/25/2008 06:31 PM   
[quote name='Fernando' post='473689' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:37 PM']1. The nForce SataRAID drivers you got installed are very old. So it would be a good idea to update them by newer/better ones. [u]Attention:[/u] Don't take NVIDIA's official driverpack 15.23, because the included nForce IDE drivers do not work with NF4 RAID systems and probably will break your RAID.
If you want further instructions how to get the RAIDTOOL manually installed, you may look into the Annex III part of [url="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vista-and-nvraid-installation-guide-and-troubleshooting-vt66299.html?start=0"]this[/url] guide (it was written for Vista, but the installation is similar with XP).

My advice:
Look [url="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/optimized-nforce-chipset-driverpacks-for-xp-32-64bit-vt70968.html?start=0"]here[/url] for a suitable nForce driverpack for your NF4 chipset mainboard. I recommend to download [url="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m1mzx3b53qm"]this[/url] completely WHQL signed nForce chipset driverpack. Unzip it, run the installer and choose all nForce drivers you need (IDE, Ethernet, SMBus etc.) inclusive the MediaShield ones. This way you will get the nForce IDE drivers v6.99 and the suitable RAIDTOOL version 6.95 installed.[/quote]

Will these drivers work in 32bit Windows 7/Vista? Or do you have a seperate pack for Vista/7?
[quote name='Fernando' post='473689' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:37 PM']1. The nForce SataRAID drivers you got installed are very old. So it would be a good idea to update them by newer/better ones. Attention: Don't take NVIDIA's official driverpack 15.23, because the included nForce IDE drivers do not work with NF4 RAID systems and probably will break your RAID.

If you want further instructions how to get the RAIDTOOL manually installed, you may look into the Annex III part of this guide (it was written for Vista, but the installation is similar with XP).

My advice:

Look here for a suitable nForce driverpack for your NF4 chipset mainboard. I recommend to download this completely WHQL signed nForce chipset driverpack. Unzip it, run the installer and choose all nForce drivers you need (IDE, Ethernet, SMBus etc.) inclusive the MediaShield ones. This way you will get the nForce IDE drivers v6.99 and the suitable RAIDTOOL version 6.95 installed.

Will these drivers work in 32bit Windows 7/Vista? Or do you have a seperate pack for Vista/7?

Posted 01/11/2009 02:55 PM   
[quote name='Hysteric' post='489453' date='Jan 11 2009, 03:55 PM']Will these drivers work in 32bit Windows 7/Vista?[/quote]No, the drivers pschatz100 has used, were for Windows XP.

[quote]Or do you have a seperate pack for Vista/7?[/quote]Yes, I am offering separate nForce driverpacks for Vista (look [url="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/optimized-nforce-chipset-driverpacks-for-vista-32-64bit-vt70915.html"]here[/url]). If you are going to install Win7, you probably don't need any separate nForce drivers.
[quote name='Hysteric' post='489453' date='Jan 11 2009, 03:55 PM']Will these drivers work in 32bit Windows 7/Vista?No, the drivers pschatz100 has used, were for Windows XP.

Or do you have a seperate pack for Vista/7?
Yes, I am offering separate nForce driverpacks for Vista (look here). If you are going to install Win7, you probably don't need any separate nForce drivers.

Posted 01/11/2009 04:53 PM   
Try going without the drivers first, see how that goes.
Try going without the drivers first, see how that goes.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 01/11/2009 05:07 PM   
Same results as Vista, only sees 2 seperate drives in mycomputer and 1 un-initialized disk in disk manager. Then I reboot into XP, its fine. I'm gonna go try these Vista drivers. Thanks!

Edit:

It was probably something to do with your drivers, but I got it working. It didnt work immediately, but I ran the reg file and then rebooted and then did something on Windows update referring to a PCI express something or other. Rebooted again and it was taking a minute once I got to the desktop, but now I have my completely working nvraid 5 on nForce 4 in Windows 7 :) Thanks Fernando!!!!
Same results as Vista, only sees 2 seperate drives in mycomputer and 1 un-initialized disk in disk manager. Then I reboot into XP, its fine. I'm gonna go try these Vista drivers. Thanks!

Edit:

It was probably something to do with your drivers, but I got it working. It didnt work immediately, but I ran the reg file and then rebooted and then did something on Windows update referring to a PCI express something or other. Rebooted again and it was taking a minute once I got to the desktop, but now I have my completely working nvraid 5 on nForce 4 in Windows 7 :) Thanks Fernando!!!!

Posted 01/13/2009 02:38 AM   
Scroll To Top