GTA IV on PC - Configuration help needed Basic Graphic Problems
  1 / 2    
While I certainly don't expect to run GTA IV (PC) with anything near max settings, it's simply not playable even when I have it at lowest settings or when I run it in SAFE MODE. During the game's intro scene I felt like I was on the ship from the Philadelphia Experiment with everything phasing in and out of reality. Often the radar graphic is missing, even while points-of-interest on the radar appear. I often can't escape out of the game because it won't switch to the menu screens and I have to ESC back to the game. Sometimes I'll see bands of garbage lines running through screen. Everything is dark and shadowy. When I'm driving I can't see obstacles until they are are less than 1/2 of one car length in front of me. The shadows on walls and surfaces are very obvious circles within circles with no blending. I've tried turning everything to the lowest settings or playing in SAFE MODE. GTA's auto configure dumps me into the very lowest settings even though the memory allotment shows a lot of room.

Anyway, my PC is less than 2 yrs old. Shouldn't I at least be able to play this game in San Andreas quality graphics? I'm feel I'm missing something obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Windows XP service pack 3
Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40 Ghz)
EVGA Geforce 7900 GTO (512 MB, GDDR 3) - New driver 178.24 - no Overclock except as it was out of box
2 GB memory (Corsair XMS2) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

I've tested with the 169.44 Video Driver as well, but no improvement.

My card is not DX10. I'm a little confused about the Shader feature or how to use it. I assume it's on by default. I have not tweaked the card in anyway. Everything is on out-of-the-box factory settings.

I've used Nvidia's control panel, under manage 3D settings and selected gtaiv.exe, but I really don't know what settings to tweak.

I have the DVD version of the game. I installed everything and successfully authorized the game online. However, I did not set up any Social Club Accounts and the only Windows Live account I created was an Offline one (because it's the only way you can SAVE an SP game). After that I just used my firewall to block all internet access from anything GTAIV related.

What a bother for someone who just wanted to play the SP game. Even with all the side apps installed, it still takes almost 2 minutes for me just to get to the start menu, not counting the lesser menus I have to click through to get there. There appears to be practically no custom configuration options for keyboard play other than toggling on/off.

I've wasted hours of my time and it's still unplayable. I'm very disappointed.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated
While I certainly don't expect to run GTA IV (PC) with anything near max settings, it's simply not playable even when I have it at lowest settings or when I run it in SAFE MODE. During the game's intro scene I felt like I was on the ship from the Philadelphia Experiment with everything phasing in and out of reality. Often the radar graphic is missing, even while points-of-interest on the radar appear. I often can't escape out of the game because it won't switch to the menu screens and I have to ESC back to the game. Sometimes I'll see bands of garbage lines running through screen. Everything is dark and shadowy. When I'm driving I can't see obstacles until they are are less than 1/2 of one car length in front of me. The shadows on walls and surfaces are very obvious circles within circles with no blending. I've tried turning everything to the lowest settings or playing in SAFE MODE. GTA's auto configure dumps me into the very lowest settings even though the memory allotment shows a lot of room.

Anyway, my PC is less than 2 yrs old. Shouldn't I at least be able to play this game in San Andreas quality graphics? I'm feel I'm missing something obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Windows XP service pack 3

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40 Ghz)

EVGA Geforce 7900 GTO (512 MB, GDDR 3) - New driver 178.24 - no Overclock except as it was out of box

2 GB memory (Corsair XMS2) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

I've tested with the 169.44 Video Driver as well, but no improvement.

My card is not DX10. I'm a little confused about the Shader feature or how to use it. I assume it's on by default. I have not tweaked the card in anyway. Everything is on out-of-the-box factory settings.

I've used Nvidia's control panel, under manage 3D settings and selected gtaiv.exe, but I really don't know what settings to tweak.

I have the DVD version of the game. I installed everything and successfully authorized the game online. However, I did not set up any Social Club Accounts and the only Windows Live account I created was an Offline one (because it's the only way you can SAVE an SP game). After that I just used my firewall to block all internet access from anything GTAIV related.

What a bother for someone who just wanted to play the SP game. Even with all the side apps installed, it still takes almost 2 minutes for me just to get to the start menu, not counting the lesser menus I have to click through to get there. There appears to be practically no custom configuration options for keyboard play other than toggling on/off.

I've wasted hours of my time and it's still unplayable. I'm very disappointed.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Posted 12/03/2008 02:21 PM   
UPDATE: Although I was always running in single display mode, I had an S-Video cable attached. Since disconnecting this I have had some improvement.

My main issue is that I can't see anything in detail beyond a dozen feet in front of my character. For example, when I stand in the middle of the street, I can't see the traffic light post. I have to step closer before it gets drawn. Likewise, if I'm standing in front of a car, I can see the whole car drawn, but if another car stops behind the first car, only about half of it gets drawn. Headlights from cars are visible from further distances. Adjusting the View Distance settings has no effect. Smoke from exhaust seems to be visible when it first exits the tail pipe, but it very quickly turns into a bunch of pitch black squares overlapping one another. Even when character is inside his safe house, when he walks around, the shadows are very distracting. Circles within circles strongly contrasted against each other appearing everywhere and adjusting quickly as I walk.

Radar now render just fine. I no longer see lines or artifacts on the screen. I can easily navigate in and out of help menus. Game seems to start up a little faster once I get to the main menu.

I'm running 1024 X768 @ 85 (supported by both my Graphics Card and Monitor)
Texture = Med
Render = Low
View Distance = 21
Detail = 10
Car density = 20
Shadow = 1

Adjusting these settings seem to have no real effect on the problems I've described above.

I don't know what my FPS is, but things seem pretty smooth. However, I haven't done more than move around in a small area. Driving is hard because of the severe nearsightedness, but things seem smooth even when I hit the handbrake causing the environment to spin around in a 180.

I know I'm missing something obvious almost as if there's some key component my Vid Card just isn't supporting. Help appreciated!
UPDATE: Although I was always running in single display mode, I had an S-Video cable attached. Since disconnecting this I have had some improvement.

My main issue is that I can't see anything in detail beyond a dozen feet in front of my character. For example, when I stand in the middle of the street, I can't see the traffic light post. I have to step closer before it gets drawn. Likewise, if I'm standing in front of a car, I can see the whole car drawn, but if another car stops behind the first car, only about half of it gets drawn. Headlights from cars are visible from further distances. Adjusting the View Distance settings has no effect. Smoke from exhaust seems to be visible when it first exits the tail pipe, but it very quickly turns into a bunch of pitch black squares overlapping one another. Even when character is inside his safe house, when he walks around, the shadows are very distracting. Circles within circles strongly contrasted against each other appearing everywhere and adjusting quickly as I walk.

Radar now render just fine. I no longer see lines or artifacts on the screen. I can easily navigate in and out of help menus. Game seems to start up a little faster once I get to the main menu.

I'm running 1024 X768 @ 85 (supported by both my Graphics Card and Monitor)

Texture = Med

Render = Low

View Distance = 21

Detail = 10

Car density = 20

Shadow = 1

Adjusting these settings seem to have no real effect on the problems I've described above.

I don't know what my FPS is, but things seem pretty smooth. However, I haven't done more than move around in a small area. Driving is hard because of the severe nearsightedness, but things seem smooth even when I hit the handbrake causing the environment to spin around in a 180.

I know I'm missing something obvious almost as if there's some key component my Vid Card just isn't supporting. Help appreciated!

Posted 12/03/2008 02:58 PM   
Hi Pete, I have the same problem as you and I suspect that this problem is not going to be completely cured until we get some kind of patch, either in the form of a game patch, or perhaps a driver patch.

However, like you I have been trying all sorts of things to get the graphics working, and I may have a hack of a solution for you that will allow some kind of game progression to take place, if you cant wait for the patches.

Please remember that no one thing seems to have worked for everyone...

[b]The shortcut thing[/b]
Find the desktop shortcut to GTAIV (Not the one to the club rubbish)
Right click -> Properties (Verify that the shortcut points to LaunchGTAIV.exe)
Add to the command line: -norestrictions -dx9 /high
(The DX9 bit is for Vista only)
[i]Does it work?
Ha-ha! I don't know, but I did this and I can play the game so....[/i]

[b]The Compatibility thing[/b]
Right click -> Properties ->Compatibility
Make sure Disable Visual Themes is checked (To turn it off!)
[i]Does it work?
See above[/i]

[b]The In game thing[/b]
Once in the game, go to Options -> Game
There is an item called (something like) Clip catalog
Make sure its disabled

[b]Do these work?[/b]
NOT YET! But there is more!
When I did all these things there was an improvement, but not by much, but you can do one more thing to make the game actually playable:

Tab out to the desktop
Tab back into the game

The graphics will now all be there, although there may be some small glitches, but you WILL be able to play the game now.

IMPORTANT: On several occasions Iv found that my in game menu system (Press ESC) is not longer visible after tabbing out and in again. It makes no difference as long as you don't need to change any settings in-game, and if you save then you progress.

Good luck - Ill keep checking back here for a proper fix (Just in case! ;) )

Max
Hi Pete, I have the same problem as you and I suspect that this problem is not going to be completely cured until we get some kind of patch, either in the form of a game patch, or perhaps a driver patch.

However, like you I have been trying all sorts of things to get the graphics working, and I may have a hack of a solution for you that will allow some kind of game progression to take place, if you cant wait for the patches.

Please remember that no one thing seems to have worked for everyone...

The shortcut thing

Right click -> Properties (Verify that the shortcut points to LaunchGTAIV.exe)

Add to the command line: -norestrictions -dx9 /high

(The DX9 bit is for Vista only)

Does it work?

Ha-ha! I don't know, but I did this and I can play the game so....

The Compatibility thing

Right click -> Properties ->Compatibility

Make sure Disable Visual Themes is checked (To turn it off!)

Does it work?

See above

The In game thing

Once in the game, go to Options -> Game

There is an item called (something like) Clip catalog

Make sure its disabled

Do these work?

NOT YET! But there is more!

When I did all these things there was an improvement, but not by much, but you can do one more thing to make the game actually playable:

Tab out to the desktop

Tab back into the game

The graphics will now all be there, although there may be some small glitches, but you WILL be able to play the game now.

IMPORTANT: On several occasions Iv found that my in game menu system (Press ESC) is not longer visible after tabbing out and in again. It makes no difference as long as you don't need to change any settings in-game, and if you save then you progress.

Good luck - Ill keep checking back here for a proper fix (Just in case! ;) )

Max

Posted 12/04/2008 07:30 AM   
Thanks for the reply.

I got mine pretty much working. More info on this at gtaforums.com. See "troubleshooting" section.

From what I gather, a lot of people are having trouble for various reasons. However, at least for the 7900 cards, Rockstar is suggesting that Nvidia's Driver has a bug and is creating the rendering problems.

[url="http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gta4pc/docs/7900.doc"]http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gta4pc/docs/7900.doc[/url]

For XP and Vista, there's an alternative driver to use:
[url="http://www.ntcompatible.com/nVidia_ForceWare_180.70_Beta_Drivers_s122482.html"]http://www.ntcompatible.com/nVidia_ForceWa...rs_s122482.html[/url]

Use control panel. add/remove, to remove old Nvidia driver, then install the 180.70 driver. It's a beta and it doesn't seem to run the game as well as it should, but it makes the game very much playable Keep waiting for a rockstar patch or a new driver from Nvidia for the 7900. The 7900's weren't the only cards having trouble so try this new driver even if you don't have the 7900.

And that's it. Now the game is playable. Word is you won't find that beta driver on Nvidia's website.

Thanks for you post.
Thanks for the reply.

I got mine pretty much working. More info on this at gtaforums.com. See "troubleshooting" section.

From what I gather, a lot of people are having trouble for various reasons. However, at least for the 7900 cards, Rockstar is suggesting that Nvidia's Driver has a bug and is creating the rendering problems.

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gta4pc/docs/7900.doc

For XP and Vista, there's an alternative driver to use:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/nVidia_ForceWa...rs_s122482.html

Use control panel. add/remove, to remove old Nvidia driver, then install the 180.70 driver. It's a beta and it doesn't seem to run the game as well as it should, but it makes the game very much playable Keep waiting for a rockstar patch or a new driver from Nvidia for the 7900. The 7900's weren't the only cards having trouble so try this new driver even if you don't have the 7900.

And that's it. Now the game is playable. Word is you won't find that beta driver on Nvidia's website.

Thanks for you post.

Posted 12/04/2008 01:56 PM   
Ah! Thank [i]you[/i]!

As soon as I get home Ill give this driver a go - its certainly the most [i]concrete[/i] thing Iv heard suggested so far!

Now then, just so long as it plays and the driver doesn't mess with any other games Ill be happy to wait for the official patches!

Cheers

Max
Ah! Thank you!

As soon as I get home Ill give this driver a go - its certainly the most concrete thing Iv heard suggested so far!

Now then, just so long as it plays and the driver doesn't mess with any other games Ill be happy to wait for the official patches!

Cheers

Max

Posted 12/04/2008 03:52 PM   
Thanks again for that link - Everything works now.

I'm not sure about the game not running as well as it should though - It seems to be working very smoothly indeed for me, with the graphics ramped up most of the way.

Nice one!

Max
Thanks again for that link - Everything works now.

I'm not sure about the game not running as well as it should though - It seems to be working very smoothly indeed for me, with the graphics ramped up most of the way.

Nice one!

Max

Posted 12/05/2008 09:34 AM   
hi Pete,

I got 2 Asus 7900GT in SLi, now when i start the game with the social club button, i see the text followed by the orange and blue logo, then the GTA main logo, after it crashes to the desktop.
I tried beta drivers 1.77.92 and 175.16 and latest 178.24 without success, I will try the 180.70 vista driver then not sure if it works on my winserver 08 ultimate patched os though, although all compatible 32 vista software works smoothly.

any other idea? or just wait for the patch :-)
hi Pete,

I got 2 Asus 7900GT in SLi, now when i start the game with the social club button, i see the text followed by the orange and blue logo, then the GTA main logo, after it crashes to the desktop.

I tried beta drivers 1.77.92 and 175.16 and latest 178.24 without success, I will try the 180.70 vista driver then not sure if it works on my winserver 08 ultimate patched os though, although all compatible 32 vista software works smoothly.

Posted 12/05/2008 11:03 AM   
[quote name='mapster' post='472724' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:03 PM']hi Pete,

any other idea? or just wait for the patch :-)[/quote]
was it like a fatal error MMA:10 dont log into rockstart thing to start GTA IV. should work if it is like a RMA:20 it means you need serive pack 1 for vista and RMA:40 means needs service pack 3
[quote name='mapster' post='472724' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:03 PM']hi Pete,

was it like a fatal error MMA:10 dont log into rockstart thing to start GTA IV. should work if it is like a RMA:20 it means you need serive pack 1 for vista and RMA:40 means needs service pack 3

Posted 12/05/2008 01:48 PM   
[quote name='terrah' post='472801' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:48 PM']was it like a fatal error MMA:10 dont log into rockstart thing to start GTA IV. should work if it is like a RMA:20 it means you need serive pack 1 for vista and RMA:40 means needs service pack 3[/quote]

i experienced only fatal errors with beta drivers or drivers not belonging to the 7 series, so i am back with my latest nvidia 178.24 driver. hence, i believe i have to wait for the patch or newer driver update from Nvidia.
i have sp1 installed correctly according to Everest, so that should not be the problem.
what you mean by not log in to rockstar social club? i thought thats the start with the game :-) thanks
[quote name='terrah' post='472801' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:48 PM']was it like a fatal error MMA:10 dont log into rockstart thing to start GTA IV. should work if it is like a RMA:20 it means you need serive pack 1 for vista and RMA:40 means needs service pack 3

i experienced only fatal errors with beta drivers or drivers not belonging to the 7 series, so i am back with my latest nvidia 178.24 driver. hence, i believe i have to wait for the patch or newer driver update from Nvidia.

i have sp1 installed correctly according to Everest, so that should not be the problem.

what you mean by not log in to rockstar social club? i thought thats the start with the game :-) thanks

Posted 12/05/2008 03:42 PM   
Sorry guys, I'm no tech head so don't expect any troubleshooting from me.

Again, although it's not rated for the Nvidia 7 series, use the 180.70. It makes it playable for 7900 card players.

YOUR GRAPHICS SETTINGS WILL BE LOST EACH TIME YOU START A NEW GAME.

(again stealing this info from another forum...)

Try view distance at 21
and detail at 10

This is supposed to be the same as console play.

If you find stable graphic settings, write them down. You will have to enter them again next time you play.

I'm hoping Nvidia comes out with a driver or Rockstar comes out with a patch. If anyone knows of other forums or posts related to this topic, please let us know.

It seems to run slow for me. Slower than it should for my hardware. I ran Crysis and Far Cry 2 without a problem on moderate settings. With GTAIV, I've got most everything turned low and it's still got low frame rates (but playable!). I'm not sure if this is only due to the driver or if Rockstar just did a lousy job porting the game and didn't take the time to take full advantage of PC hardware.

For the other poster... I didn't setup accounts with email and logins for Social club and WIndows Live, but I did install them. You can play in offline mode.
Sorry guys, I'm no tech head so don't expect any troubleshooting from me.

Again, although it's not rated for the Nvidia 7 series, use the 180.70. It makes it playable for 7900 card players.

Try view distance at 21

and detail at 10

If you find stable graphic settings, write them down. You will have to enter them again next time you play.

I'm hoping Nvidia comes out with a driver or Rockstar comes out with a patch. If anyone knows of other forums or posts related to this topic, please let us know.

It seems to run slow for me. Slower than it should for my hardware. I ran Crysis and Far Cry 2 without a problem on moderate settings. With GTAIV, I've got most everything turned low and it's still got low frame rates (but playable!). I'm not sure if this is only due to the driver or if Rockstar just did a lousy job porting the game and didn't take the time to take full advantage of PC hardware.

For the other poster... I didn't setup accounts with email and logins for Social club and WIndows Live, but I did install them. You can play in offline mode.

Posted 12/05/2008 04:14 PM   
[quote name='Purple Pete' post='472851' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:14 PM']Sorry guys, I'm no tech head so don't expect any troubleshooting from me.

Try view distance at 21
and detail at 10

For the other poster... I didn't setup accounts with email and logins for Social club and WIndows Live, but I did install them. You can play in offline mode.[/quote]

hi pete

thats ok, any help is appreciated. well i downloaded the 180.70 version for win 32 vista, but i got an error message when trying to start with the social club play button or the gtaiv exe button. so im not sure where im heading now, its just very annoying :-) cheers

edit: you mentioned the forceware driver 180.70, does this mean i have to uninstall both the graphic driver & the current installed forceware driver???
[quote name='Purple Pete' post='472851' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:14 PM']Sorry guys, I'm no tech head so don't expect any troubleshooting from me.

Try view distance at 21

and detail at 10

hi pete

thats ok, any help is appreciated. well i downloaded the 180.70 version for win 32 vista, but i got an error message when trying to start with the social club play button or the gtaiv exe button. so im not sure where im heading now, its just very annoying :-) cheers

edit: you mentioned the forceware driver 180.70, does this mean i have to uninstall both the graphic driver & the current installed forceware driver???

Posted 12/05/2008 04:41 PM   
>> you mentioned the forceware driver 180.70, does this mean i have to uninstall both the graphic driver & the current installed forceware driver???

In a perfect world the new driver should know how to replace the old. To be safe, use windows control panel add/remove to remove the nvidia driver. You'll need to restart the PC after that.

THen, run the exe for 180.70 and follow the instructions. As a rule it's always good to install new vid drivers by removing the old one first. If I had guess to guess, I'd say doing this won't change your problem, but it's worth a try. Seems to me that people are having many other problems besides the one I listed. Whatever the issue is with the Nvidia driver, I really think Rockstar is primarily to blame. When you pay $50 for a game you shouldn't have to deal with these kinds of problems.

Maybe gtaforums.com can help you.
>> you mentioned the forceware driver 180.70, does this mean i have to uninstall both the graphic driver & the current installed forceware driver???

In a perfect world the new driver should know how to replace the old. To be safe, use windows control panel add/remove to remove the nvidia driver. You'll need to restart the PC after that.

THen, run the exe for 180.70 and follow the instructions. As a rule it's always good to install new vid drivers by removing the old one first. If I had guess to guess, I'd say doing this won't change your problem, but it's worth a try. Seems to me that people are having many other problems besides the one I listed. Whatever the issue is with the Nvidia driver, I really think Rockstar is primarily to blame. When you pay $50 for a game you shouldn't have to deal with these kinds of problems.

Posted 12/05/2008 05:11 PM   
I would like to know if anyone has had any luck forcing AA in GTA 4 using the nvidia control panel since the AA option isn't included in the games configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would like to know if anyone has had any luck forcing AA in GTA 4 using the nvidia control panel since the AA option isn't included in the games configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted 12/05/2008 09:26 PM   
[quote name='Purple Pete' post='472872' date='Dec 6 2008, 12:11 AM']>> you mentioned the forceware driver 180.70, does this mean i have to uninstall both the graphic driver & the current installed forceware driver???

Maybe gtaforums.com can help you.[/quote]

hi Pete, im referring to the nforce driver for the 680sli motherboard chip, i guess i can leave those also the network manager etc from Nvidia. anyways itried now over 8 drivers and it stops always at the same place after the GTA IV main screen, i can only wait for new driver and patch, thanks mate

edit: so far still the same error after the GTAIV logo screen and then crash to desktop.
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/12/5/mapster/f_20081206140m_bbac0c3.png[/img]
[quote name='Purple Pete' post='472872' date='Dec 6 2008, 12:11 AM']>> you mentioned the forceware driver 180.70, does this mean i have to uninstall both the graphic driver & the current installed forceware driver???

hi Pete, im referring to the nforce driver for the 680sli motherboard chip, i guess i can leave those also the network manager etc from Nvidia. anyways itried now over 8 drivers and it stops always at the same place after the GTA IV main screen, i can only wait for new driver and patch, thanks mate

edit: so far still the same error after the GTAIV logo screen and then crash to desktop.

Posted 12/06/2008 03:52 AM   
[quote]dont log into rockstart thing to start GTA IV[/quote]

Could we explore this a little please.

I now have the game running (and fairly playable) using the 180 drivers suggested by Pete but terrah mentioned this and Iv read it in a couple of other places, although no-one has been able to give me an explanation of [i]exactly[/i] what it means.

The reason for the question is this:
If I open the Rockstar club thing first and log in I can then start GTA from its own desktop icon, and the game starts straight away. This is good because I can then use a command line switch to prevent vertical blank/sync, which improves my frame rate performance by a factor of ten!
However, if I just click on the GTA icon [i]before[/i] I log into the Rockstar club, the front end for the club log-in pops up and after asking me to log-in it presents me with the "Play" button to start GTA - This negates the command line.

So do we have an answer to this? How do we start GTA without the Rockstar club thing at all?

I already created an off line profile in the game, but thats for the Windows Live stuff and makes no difference.

Cheers

Max
dont log into rockstart thing to start GTA IV

Could we explore this a little please.

I now have the game running (and fairly playable) using the 180 drivers suggested by Pete but terrah mentioned this and Iv read it in a couple of other places, although no-one has been able to give me an explanation of exactly what it means.

The reason for the question is this:

If I open the Rockstar club thing first and log in I can then start GTA from its own desktop icon, and the game starts straight away. This is good because I can then use a command line switch to prevent vertical blank/sync, which improves my frame rate performance by a factor of ten!

However, if I just click on the GTA icon before I log into the Rockstar club, the front end for the club log-in pops up and after asking me to log-in it presents me with the "Play" button to start GTA - This negates the command line.

So do we have an answer to this? How do we start GTA without the Rockstar club thing at all?

I already created an off line profile in the game, but thats for the Windows Live stuff and makes no difference.

Cheers

Max

Posted 12/06/2008 08:52 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top