driver update
my card . . .
nvidia geforce 6200

hmm, should put that first i guess . . .

now, i'm going to try as hard as i possibly can, to not just go off on nvidia, and anyone else really . . . but i haven't been able to get my driver updated in THREE YEARS . . . i've gone through every single possible way of completely reformating my comp, sweeping the driver clean, downloading up to date versions of the drivers, and reinstalling, over and over and over . . .

i've made a few threads about it here, and no replies (480 and 490 views, but not a single reply giving me any advice . . . )

so, the problem i can't get around, is an error message i keep getting saying that the driver's version was writen for a previous version of windows. nope. it's the correct one . . . but it keeps saying that. now, after some idiot's advice, i can't even get it to rollback to a previous version so i can at least use my card.

at least someone reply with something, i'm getting very annoyed with no one helping me on this . . .
my card . . .

nvidia geforce 6200

hmm, should put that first i guess . . .

now, i'm going to try as hard as i possibly can, to not just go off on nvidia, and anyone else really . . . but i haven't been able to get my driver updated in THREE YEARS . . . i've gone through every single possible way of completely reformating my comp, sweeping the driver clean, downloading up to date versions of the drivers, and reinstalling, over and over and over . . .

i've made a few threads about it here, and no replies (480 and 490 views, but not a single reply giving me any advice . . . )

so, the problem i can't get around, is an error message i keep getting saying that the driver's version was writen for a previous version of windows. nope. it's the correct one . . . but it keeps saying that. now, after some idiot's advice, i can't even get it to rollback to a previous version so i can at least use my card.

at least someone reply with something, i'm getting very annoyed with no one helping me on this . . .

Posted 09/15/2008 10:26 PM   
Hi!

Maybe this will work?

Download this driver + the modded INF.

[url="http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers"]http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers[/url]

This, as you need a sc. "open folder driver" to get the Windows update thingy to be able to install it. Just as the driver on the cd btw.

When you have downloaded the driver + modded INF. and extracted the driver using 7 zip or WinRAR for ex.

Copy / paste the modded INF into the driver folder and reboot.

Then when the update, starts to search for a compatible driver to update. Direct it towards the 177.98 folder. If the update does'nt find it anyway that is?

If this works? Then you can update the video card driver as ususal in the future.

Alternative way.

Uninstall the present driver and use this in safe mode before you do what I suggested abouve. This, as you may have old remains of earlier drivers still in registry making trouble.

[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655[/url]
Hi!

Maybe this will work?

Download this driver + the modded INF.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

This, as you need a sc. "open folder driver" to get the Windows update thingy to be able to install it. Just as the driver on the cd btw.

When you have downloaded the driver + modded INF. and extracted the driver using 7 zip or WinRAR for ex.

Copy / paste the modded INF into the driver folder and reboot.

Then when the update, starts to search for a compatible driver to update. Direct it towards the 177.98 folder. If the update does'nt find it anyway that is?

If this works? Then you can update the video card driver as ususal in the future.

Alternative way.

Uninstall the present driver and use this in safe mode before you do what I suggested abouve. This, as you may have old remains of earlier drivers still in registry making trouble.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Case: Antec P 180B. modded. 2 x 120mm Noctua fans.

Psu: Corsair HX 750W modular.

Mobo: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR.

Cpu: Intel Core i7 920 2.6GHz @ 3.4 GHz.

Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 3GB DDR 3. 1600

Video cards: Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X Crossfire.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640gb Black edt.

Sound: Auzentech X-FI Prelude. Camebridge Desktop theatre 5.1 speakers.

Posted 09/16/2008 07:11 AM   
thanks for the help, but no, does not work. i saw you post that site last night and already tried it. in fact, i've gone from update 177.98 through update 87.08

every single one of them says that it was writen for a previous version of windows.
thanks for the help, but no, does not work. i saw you post that site last night and already tried it. in fact, i've gone from update 177.98 through update 87.08

every single one of them says that it was writen for a previous version of windows.

Posted 09/16/2008 06:44 PM   
I can sympathise with your frustration but you must be missing something... If you have the vanilla Windows XP 32bit, theoretically you should be able to install the latest driver (175.19 WHQL) from the nVidia site without the error you quoted.

I know it's a pain but do the following:

[b]1.[/b] Download a CAB cleaner from [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745"]from here[/url] and install it.
[b]2.[/b] Download the 175.19 WHQL driver for XP 32-bit [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html"]from here[/url].
[b]3.[/b] Uninstall the nVidia display driver.
[b]4.[/b] Reboot into Safe mode and:
[b]4a[/b]. Run your Drive Sweeper program to clean out the nVidia display leftovers, plus
[b]4b.[/b] Run CAB cleaner to remove the left over nVidia CAB files.
[b]5.[/b] Reboot (normally) and cancel any hardware wizards that may appear.
[b]6.[/b] Install the display driver (175.19) you downloaded in step 2.
[b]7.[/b] Set your resolution and reboot.

Hope this helps.
I can sympathise with your frustration but you must be missing something... If you have the vanilla Windows XP 32bit, theoretically you should be able to install the latest driver (175.19 WHQL) from the nVidia site without the error you quoted.

1. Download a CAB cleaner from from here and install it.

2. Download the 175.19 WHQL driver for XP 32-bit from here.

3. Uninstall the nVidia display driver.

4. Reboot into Safe mode and:

4a. Run your Drive Sweeper program to clean out the nVidia display leftovers, plus

4b. Run CAB cleaner to remove the left over nVidia CAB files.

5. Reboot (normally) and cancel any hardware wizards that may appear.

6. Install the display driver (175.19) you downloaded in step 2.

7. Set your resolution and reboot.

Hope this helps.

Posted 09/16/2008 09:50 PM   
well, thank you for the new idea to help, but it did not fix my problem.

i installed the driver cleaner program you told me to download, and

1. uninstalled the nvidia driver through the control panel/add/remove programs.
2. reboot into safemode, used my driver sweeper to clean out all the files
3. ran the cab cleaner to clean out each cab file
4. rebooted, and installed the updated driver . . .

and . . . still got the same error . . .

i even went in and ran both driver seeper/ driver cleaner, then ran through cleaning out all of the cab files twice. nothing seems to work.

my card was working fine enough just a few days ago, but i got frustrated with not being able to get past loading screens in halflife2, cause i needed to update my card's driver (kept getting warning after warning about it) . . . so i tried again to get the update working.

now, i cna't even do a system restore to get to a previous state where my card was working (workded about 2 years ago the first time i tried to update my driver, and it did this same thing) . ..

so, now i can't even use my card, and that means i can't do anything that requires something better than my built into my mobo card. we all knwo those built in cards suck, now image trying to use one that's from 5 years ago . . .

please, if there are ANY toehr ideas, post em. i just want to use my card again, i dont' care if it's up to date or not . . .
well, thank you for the new idea to help, but it did not fix my problem.

i installed the driver cleaner program you told me to download, and

1. uninstalled the nvidia driver through the control panel/add/remove programs.

2. reboot into safemode, used my driver sweeper to clean out all the files

3. ran the cab cleaner to clean out each cab file

4. rebooted, and installed the updated driver . . .

and . . . still got the same error . . .

i even went in and ran both driver seeper/ driver cleaner, then ran through cleaning out all of the cab files twice. nothing seems to work.

my card was working fine enough just a few days ago, but i got frustrated with not being able to get past loading screens in halflife2, cause i needed to update my card's driver (kept getting warning after warning about it) . . . so i tried again to get the update working.

now, i cna't even do a system restore to get to a previous state where my card was working (workded about 2 years ago the first time i tried to update my driver, and it did this same thing) . ..

so, now i can't even use my card, and that means i can't do anything that requires something better than my built into my mobo card. we all knwo those built in cards suck, now image trying to use one that's from 5 years ago . . .

please, if there are ANY toehr ideas, post em. i just want to use my card again, i dont' care if it's up to date or not . . .

Posted 09/17/2008 12:59 AM   
I'm at work and my ancient machine (a P1.7 Giggle-Hurtz beasty) has a 6200 in it running Windows XP SP3. I checked what version driver I'm using and it is 163.71 (it was on the CD - I was too lazy to download a later version).

I looked on the archived drivers and didn't see it but they did have 163.75 ([url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html"]Click here[/url]).

Failing that you could try [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24_2.html"]94.24[/url] or [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html"]93.71[/url] on for size.
I'm at work and my ancient machine (a P1.7 Giggle-Hurtz beasty) has a 6200 in it running Windows XP SP3. I checked what version driver I'm using and it is 163.71 (it was on the CD - I was too lazy to download a later version).

I looked on the archived drivers and didn't see it but they did have 163.75 (Click here).

Failing that you could try 94.24 or 93.71 on for size.

Posted 09/17/2008 03:32 AM   
just to make absolutely 100% sure there is nothing wrong, i'm going to try to install the latest driver from nvidia's website onto a different computer, to check if it will work there. if it does, then there is something wrong with my comp. if it doesn't work, well, that at least will answer one question ...

hopefully this works . . .

*EDIT* yeah, no luck there, going to try out your old drivers,see if they work.

**EDIT2** well, i got the oldest driver you gave me to work, no clue why none of the others will. this at least means my card still works fine, since it, well, is working. now i just need to figure out why i cna't get past the 93.71 update . . .

either way, thanks a lot for your help blaise. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
just to make absolutely 100% sure there is nothing wrong, i'm going to try to install the latest driver from nvidia's website onto a different computer, to check if it will work there. if it does, then there is something wrong with my comp. if it doesn't work, well, that at least will answer one question ...

*EDIT* yeah, no luck there, going to try out your old drivers,see if they work.

**EDIT2** well, i got the oldest driver you gave me to work, no clue why none of the others will. this at least means my card still works fine, since it, well, is working. now i just need to figure out why i cna't get past the 93.71 update . . .

either way, thanks a lot for your help blaise. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 09/17/2008 04:00 AM   
[quote name='Blaise' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:50 PM']I can sympathise with your frustration but you must be missing something... If you have the vanilla Windows XP 32bit, theoretically you should be able to install the latest driver (175.19 WHQL) from the nVidia site without the error you quoted.

[b]1.[/b] Download a CAB cleaner from [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745"]from here[/url] and install it.
[b]2.[/b] Download the 175.19 WHQL driver for XP 32-bit [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html"]from here[/url].
[b]3.[/b] Uninstall the nVidia display driver.
[b]4.[/b] Reboot into Safe mode and:
  [b]4a[/b]. Run your Drive Sweeper program to clean out the nVidia display leftovers, plus
  [b]4b.[/b] Run CAB cleaner to remove the left over nVidia CAB files.
[b]5.[/b]  Reboot (normally) and cancel any hardware wizards that may appear.
[b]6.[/b] Install the display driver (175.19) you downloaded in step 2.
[b]7.[/b] Set your resolution and reboot.

Hope this helps.
[right][snapback]440819[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I too am having problems trying to install my Geforce 6200 PCI card (just purchased last week)
Would you recommend I try this as well? (using Cab Cleaner)
I have tried DC Pro, uninstalling the nvidia driver then rebooting in safe mode. Installing the latest driver, rebooting again, and still the card doesn't work (I'm trying to use Easy Media Creator 10 with this new card, and I can't access the MyDVD application. The computer freezes then give me the "blue screen of death" telling me what happened).

I have a Dell Dim. 3000 Windows XP Service Pack 3, with over 45 GB on my hard drive.

Mitch R.
[quote name='Blaise' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:50 PM']I can sympathise with your frustration but you must be missing something... If you have the vanilla Windows XP 32bit, theoretically you should be able to install the latest driver (175.19 WHQL) from the nVidia site without the error you quoted.

1. Download a CAB cleaner from from here and install it.

2. Download the 175.19 WHQL driver for XP 32-bit from here.

3. Uninstall the nVidia display driver.

4. Reboot into Safe mode and:

4a. Run your Drive Sweeper program to clean out the nVidia display leftovers, plus

4b. Run CAB cleaner to remove the left over nVidia CAB files.

5.  Reboot (normally) and cancel any hardware wizards that may appear.

6. Install the display driver (175.19) you downloaded in step 2.

7. Set your resolution and reboot.

Hope this helps.

[snapback]440819[/snapback]

I too am having problems trying to install my Geforce 6200 PCI card (just purchased last week)

Would you recommend I try this as well? (using Cab Cleaner)

I have tried DC Pro, uninstalling the nvidia driver then rebooting in safe mode. Installing the latest driver, rebooting again, and still the card doesn't work (I'm trying to use Easy Media Creator 10 with this new card, and I can't access the MyDVD application. The computer freezes then give me the "blue screen of death" telling me what happened).

I have a Dell Dim. 3000 Windows XP Service Pack 3, with over 45 GB on my hard drive.

Mitch R.

Posted 10/06/2008 01:24 AM   
[quote name='pyroknifeman_666' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:00 AM']just to make absolutely 100% sure there is nothing wrong, i'm going to try to install the latest driver from nvidia's website onto a different computer, to check if it will work there.  if it does, then there is something wrong with my comp.  if it doesn't work, well, that at least will answer one question ...

*EDIT*  yeah, no luck there, going to try out your old drivers,see if they work.

**EDIT2**  well, i got the oldest driver you gave me to work, no clue why none of the others will.  this at least means my card still works fine, since it, well, is working.  now i just need to figure out why i cna't get past the 93.71 update . . .

[right][snapback]440927[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If 93.71 worked, then it's okay. You won't need anything newer than that (94.24, maybe). Any drivers that have 3 digits mean problems.
[quote name='pyroknifeman_666' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:00 AM']just to make absolutely 100% sure there is nothing wrong, i'm going to try to install the latest driver from nvidia's website onto a different computer, to check if it will work there.  if it does, then there is something wrong with my comp.  if it doesn't work, well, that at least will answer one question ...

*EDIT*  yeah, no luck there, going to try out your old drivers,see if they work.

**EDIT2**  well, i got the oldest driver you gave me to work, no clue why none of the others will.  this at least means my card still works fine, since it, well, is working.  now i just need to figure out why i cna't get past the 93.71 update . . .

[snapback]440927[/snapback]

If 93.71 worked, then it's okay. You won't need anything newer than that (94.24, maybe). Any drivers that have 3 digits mean problems.

Posted 10/06/2008 01:32 AM   
Scroll To Top